Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

UK Government Commitment to Same-Sex Marriage Imminent?

The UK will commit to marriage equality tomorrow, according to reports:

Tim Montgomorie of Conservative Home appears to have confirmed the rumors, while James Chapman of the Daily Mail tweets that the intervention is coming after a "personal intervention" from Prime Minister David Cameron. The announcement is likely to occur at the Liberal Democrat conference tomorrow. The government began surveying opinion on the issue earlier this year and was due to take some action this summer...

...It now appears that legislation will be brought in to secure marriage equality for all couples. Gay marriage is effectively legal in the UK, but under the label of "civil partnership" and not "marriage."

Let's hope for this. Will bring you more if and when this chatter plays out...

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

Yet Germany, the country that rounded up thousands of Gays and killed them in concentration camps, STILL treats Gays as second class citizens.

by Anonymousreply 109/17/2011

Lets hope this is true!

by Anonymousreply 209/17/2011

David Cameron has come quite a long way from his homophobic stance earlier in his career. %0D %0D But good for him.

by Anonymousreply 309/17/2011

I should've known better than to get my hopes up - they're now saying that it should be made legal by 2015...why should it take that fucking long to make it legal? If NY can make it legal after 30 days of deciding it should be, why does the UK have to wait years to make it legal, unless they want to find more ways to delay it?

by Anonymousreply 409/17/2011

The UK is about to make full equality happen for the entire country but they are already 90% of the way, with an existing partnership rights law.

In the USA, there are only a few pockets of equality, where as the vast majority of the USA has encoded anti-gay hate in their constitutions for all eternity and proudly brag about it.

To call the UK worse than the USA is irony defined and ignorance typical.

by Anonymousreply 509/17/2011

Germany has civil partnerships, has elected an openly gay minister for foreign affairs, and is in general terms a great deal more gay friendly than, say, USA. There's no point in dragging Hitler and Germany's Nazi past into this gay rights discussion, r1 or Vietnam, Hiroshima, and "Weapons of Mass Destruction" for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 609/17/2011

r5, the United States does not have a state religion, nor does its people live by the "separate-but-equal" mindset as the Brits do.

by Anonymousreply 709/17/2011

[italic]Yet Germany, the country that rounded up thousands of Gays and killed them in concentration camps, STILL treats Gays as second class citizens.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 809/17/2011

Germanys refusal to treat Gays as equal citizens is a greater crime considering it's past history.

If Germany was still treating Jews as second class citizens, we would not be having this discussion........ so why are we having it?

by Anonymousreply 909/17/2011

[quote]Germanys refusal to treat Gays as equal citizens is a greater crime considering it's past history.

First: Oh dear.

Second: Greater crime? really? Where are you living that you can call legal civil partnership a crime treating gay people as second class citizens? Yes, Germany isn't perfect but there is a sure sign of progress in the positive direction while I don't see USA going in the same direction with the backing and full support of its gonvernment.

by Anonymousreply 1009/17/2011

And R7 the seperate but equal stance will be abolished within four years as the majority of the UK population alreay refers to civil partnerships as marriage anyway. My friend was at a gay wedding two weeks ago - he's a practicing RC and the bride's sister is a nun - they both referred to it as the couple getting married. It just means that it will officially be referred to as marriage in name what it is unofficially called by virtually everyone anyway. It would have been easier had it been brought in in 2005 but at least it is going to happen. There is also consultation in progress to allow churches to conduct same sex weddings which will hopefully come about within the same timescale. I think we should be celebrating the step forward instead of trying to tear each other to shreds due to prejudices over nationalities. Flip, it's a hard enough won battle without belittling it. People in Britain celebrated as much as the New Yorkers did with the change in marriage laws. I hope with all my heart that the states without these laws also make the same progress but we shouldn't be battling over this one.

by Anonymousreply 1109/17/2011

sorry: government. (Oh dearing myself)

by Anonymousreply 1209/17/2011

And I may 'oh dear' myself for several mistakes. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 1309/17/2011

Sorry for hijacking the thread but just one question - Is the softly, softly catchee monkey approach not an acceptable way to go about campaigns or business in the US? I feel it may be a European way of doing thing.

by Anonymousreply 1409/17/2011

House of Commons ‏@HouseofCommons 1m

MPs vote by 366 to 161 to approve the third reading of #Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill. The Bill will now progress to the House of Lords.

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!