Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What does it mean when the fan on your computer constantly runs?

Is the end near?

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

You have some sort of failure within your unit's heat detection.

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2011

They're coming from inside the computer!

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2011

Mac user? Happens a lot on Macbooks. Sometimes it's a dead thermal resistor. Even after I had that fixed, mine runs a lot when I'm in a flash video program. It's either a software fault or the limited ram on older Macbooks.

Usually, the flash program ends up crashing, especially on cam-to-cam sites like Menchats & Chat Roulette.

Interuptus.

by Anonymousreply 309/15/2011

MacBooks actually had a major flaw that Apple won't admit - they were overheating like crazy, and everyone pinned it on Flash.

The fan running extra was designed to overcome that flaw and prevent meltdowns. It does happen only on flash.

Mine crashed for this very reason. The genius bar people told me this (by mistake, I think) after I wrote a complaint about the service. They were comping replacements of drives that had crashed even though the drives weren't the real problem. It's something to do with the hard drive cable or how the OS processes flash. It seems to be limited to the Macbooks and the way it affects the memory.

It still happens on my macbook especially on safari, which now will have limited updates if you don't upgrade to OS 10.6.8 - which, sadly, is causing more and more macs to crash.

The Apple quality decline continues....

Back up, people, back up.

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2011

OP, it might be as simple as an accumulation of dust in your computer box. Or, sometimes those fans just die, but if you're using a PC they can be replaced easily. %0D %0D Yes, back up everything if you haven't lately! Then get yourself a 1-T or 2-T external hard drive that backs up in real time (so you will never forget to do it yourself). They're cheap, like around $100. It's the best $100 you'll ever spend for computer insurance.

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2011

R4, what year's model of MacBook was this? I have a mid-2010 cheap white plastic MacBook (the kind they now no longer make) but have not experienced any thermal issues at all.

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2011

R5, I know what an external hard drive is (sort of) -- but what do 1T & 2T mean?

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2011

Dell laptops are notorious for fans that run incessantly.%0D %0D I had a Dell laptop, but returned it for a refund because the fan ran incessantly and the constant noise and annoyance drove me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2011

Look on youtube on how to clean the dust from your particular brand of computer. I did for my laptop and it worked.

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2011

"what do 1T & 2T mean?"%0D %0D Sorry - that's a "terabyte" which is 1024 gigabytes. That's a LOT of storage space! %0D %0D My external hard drive is an HP that I got at Costco last year. At the time 1T was as big as you could get, but now I see 2T models are available. Seagate also makes them, and I wish I had gotten a Seagate, just because HP has never made great computers, and now of course they are out of the computer market completely. I'll upgrade eventually I'm sure.%0D %0D Anyway, you just hook it up to your computer via USB port, install it with the included software, and it constantly backs up everything in real time.

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2011

FYI, this is what I have, OP.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2011

I just had my power supply replaced and now my fan runs constantly. I guess the repair guy fucked something up.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2011

[quote]MacBooks actually had a major flaw that Apple won't admit

My Macbook is from mid 2007 and it overheated from day one. I had to replace my hard drive two times in the past year. I am not sure if those two things are connected, but I would never ever buy another Macbook. My previous laptop was Apple Pismo. It was a great machine.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2011

Get a cooling lap desk.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2011

R10-- That's storage and has little or nothing to do with the operating system or ram.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2011

my older mac does it when I put something in its CD-rom.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2011

R12 some older computers and aftermarket power supplies (assuming a desktop here) have fans that just run all the time instead of cycling - they're less expensive and usually less problematic.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2011

R17, if the fan runs a lot but is silent, there is not a problem.%0D %0D But most fans which run all the time are loud and noisy.

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2011

Your pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2011

"That's storage and has little or nothing to do with the operating system or ram."%0D %0D R15, that post at R10 referred back to the LAST part of my post at R5, about the necessity of backing up your computer regularly and often.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2011

You need to open the computer & clean all the dust that has collected in there. Mine was very loud & the minute I opened the harddrive & started cleaning all the dust it sounded quiet as a mouse. You have to be very careful not to get water on the motherboard or anything. You can clean with a sponge just not on the sensitive parts so much because of the water on the sponge. make sure to squeeze the sponge so no water drips in there. It's very simple & not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

It means it's so hot it can no longer think.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

The question is unanswerable with that little information . . . Is it a Desktop or Laptop? Desktop computers typically have at least three fans, one built into the power supply, one cooling off the main processor and one cooling off high end graphics cards. So which fan is running. Fans in newer Desktop computers have a low speed and very high speed, so if you're used to the high speed whirring at startup, the switch to low speed can sound like it's not running at all.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

My computer was doing that a lot recently. It's a POS Acer that I bought in 2009. I took my computer in for an unrelated problem and mentioned this to the guy and it turned out to just be dust. He sprayed inside the fan vents and now it doesn't do it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

Why are people answering a two year old question.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

I am not one of your fans!

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

If it is a desktop then you really should clean your fans and inside of your computer for dust once in a while. Depending on how dusty your work area is you should maybe do it every 2-3 months. If its your laptop then try to clean the dust and if it is overheating too much then you should take it in to get checked out.

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.