Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Death Wish (1974)

I saw it recently and thought it was very good. I had always thought it was supposed to be trashy.%0D %0D I'm not tempted to see any of the sequels though.%0D %0D Anyone else seen it (or them)?

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2015

The sequels are complete junk, the last one ridiculously so.

The first was well made and pretty smart, even if the thinking behind it made me squirm.

And Bronson never was much of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2011

but he was damn good at revenge and killing people.. perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2011

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2011

The sequels were awesome! You're all crazy. You just don't know Bronson. Vigilante justice.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2011

I remember this being on TV a lot when I was a kid and being traumatized by the (edited for broadcast version) of the home invasion rape scene at the beginning (featuring a young Jeff Goldblum). Chillingly similar to the awful rape/murder of a mother and daughters in Connecticut a few years ago as both in the movie and in life the perps first saw their victims as they were innocently shopping in a supermarket and followed them home.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2011

The rapes in the second movie are even more harrowing! Plus the way Bronson's daughter dies is particularly gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2011

by Anonymousreply 712/16/2012

Is that the one with the naked guy in the college dorm?

by Anonymousreply 812/16/2012

The sequels are amazing...but only if you view them as comedies.

I personally recommend Part 3 because you also get to see Counselor Troi's titties.

by Anonymousreply 912/16/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1012/16/2012

R8, that was Ten to Midnight.

by Anonymousreply 1112/16/2012

"The Sandpiper" is a pretty mediocre film but damn, Bronson had one hell of a body back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 1212/16/2012

Charles Bronson said that he lost his virginity when he was...five years old!

Bronson talking “I’ve been trying to make it with girls for as long as I can remember,” he says. “I remember my first time. I was five and a half years old, and she was six. This was in 1928 or 1929. It happened at about the worst time in my life. We had been thrown out of our house . . .”

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2013

Michael Winner, the director of Death Wish and the director of many other Charles Bronson movies as well stated once:

'Thank heavens Charles Bronson never found out I slept with his wife'

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2013

I agree, "Death Wish 3" makes up for all of the other junk he did with Cannon Group. Watch it. own it, live it.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2013

Is it a coincidence that many Charles Bronson movies deal with rape?

Just saying...

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2013

What do I remember from "Death Wish?" I remember Jeff Goldblum as one of the crazy home invaders. I remember Hope Lange as Bronson's doomed wife. I remember the rape scene as being quite horrible. I remember Steven Keats as Bronson's overwrought son-in-law. I remember the daughter being rendered catatonic by the rape and her mother's murder, and how she screamed her lungs out when her husband tried to touch her. And I remember the great final scene when Bronson touches down in a new city, to begin his vigilante killings all over again.

by Anonymousreply 1704/29/2013

R17 have you seen the rape scene in Death Wish II?

What do you think of it?

by Anonymousreply 1804/30/2013

Do you find Charles Bronson hot?

by Anonymousreply 1904/30/2013

Guys, would you go in bed with him?

by Anonymousreply 2004/30/2013

Charles Bronson played in 1962 in an Elvis Presley movie called 'Kid Galahad' There are professional stills of Charles Bronson with Elvis together from the filming, but it is well-known that Bronson was not fond of Elvis. He might have been put off by the Presley entourage.

Elvis adored Bronson's work in Death Wish (1974), a highly-successful vigilante fantasy film.

From Guralnick's Careless Love: Elvis was "stung by the indifference by Charles Bronson...Bronson, one of fifteen children of a Lithuanian-born coal miner and a combat veteran of World War II, made it very clear that he was unimpressed by Elvis's karate exhibitions. Elvis for his part indicated to Red, and to Sonny too...that he he had no use for Bronson, whom he uncharacteristically dismissed as 'a muscle-bound ape."

I also read that Charles Bronson did not speak to Elvis Presley and kept his distance while filming. It is written as well that both Elvis and Bronson had eyes on Joan Blackman, one of the leading ladies of 'Kid Galahad' and maybe that also made the relationship between them even more impossible.

In general, Bronson didn't think much of Elvis as a man. He thought he was just a poser and a fake. He wasn't impressed at all when Elvis was showing off his karate abilities.

by Anonymousreply 2104/30/2013

Wasn't Jill Ireland his wife? She died of breast cancer many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2204/30/2013

R22, yes Jill Ireland was his second wife. He cheated on his first wife with her. They divorced after 18 years of marriage and then he married Jill.

by Anonymousreply 2304/30/2013

Harriet Bronson, his first wife wrote a book about her relationship with Bronson, 'Charlie & Me'

Bronson’s philandering was for the most part detached, or as Harriett said “compartmentalized.” “What I didn’t understand at the time was that he was able compartmentalize our marriage. He was generous, loving and devoted at home, but was also able to see women outside the marriage. Jill Ireland wasn’t the only one. I always thought I knew him, but I didn’t. Like many wives, I was stunned by his infidelities.”

“Yes, Charlie was tormented by his childhood,” said Harriett. “Out of fifteen children, Charlie was one of just two to actually graduate high school. He was determined to make something respectable and successful of himself and his life. But, he remained angry about his past, his childhood, his family’s poverty, and he was the only child of the fifteen who stayed resentful and angry.”

by Anonymousreply 2404/30/2013

I doubt this movie did much for NYC tourism. Bronson's character had no problem finding criminals to mix it up with.

by Anonymousreply 2504/30/2013

It is also impressive that his second wife Jill Ireland played in so many movies with her husband Charles Bronson.

When they asked her once about it she said:"I'm in so many Charles Bronson films because no other actress will work with him".

by Anonymousreply 2604/30/2013

I only saw the first one and I agree with you, it's a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 2704/30/2013

R14 I think it's hysterical that Michael Winner slept with Jill Ireland behind Bronson's back. What comes around goes around. Charles Bronson, who was married to another woman, had stolen Jill Ireland from his good friend David "Ducky" McCallum during the filming of "The Great Escape." Karma is a cunt!

R21 I liked Bronson, but one Elvis was worth fifty Bronsons.

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2013

Lol R28! Karma is indeed a cunt.

I prefer Elvis to Bronson by far too, although they both were unfaithful to women...

Elvis was a phenomenon, nonetheless. An incredible singer, a true star.

by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2013

[R28]Michael Winner had a relationship with Jill Ireland long before she met Charles Bronson and they never had a sexual encounter after she married her first husband, let alone her second.

by Anonymousreply 3004/30/2013

Discovering the joy of Charles Bronson

by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2013

Charles Bronson looked so muscular & butch but his lisp turned me right the fuck off. He talked like Thindy Brady. Most people never noticed his lisp, but it's there...

by Anonymousreply 3204/30/2013

The first sequel is delightful.

by Anonymousreply 3304/30/2013

Got his name from the street outside of Paramount Studios in Hollywood, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 3404/30/2013

I wish it was Barry Norman instead of this autocue bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3504/30/2013
by Anonymousreply 3604/30/2013

The movie From Noon till Three is cute.

by Anonymousreply 3704/30/2013

The attack on the wife and daughter in the first movie was quite disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 3804/30/2013

His movies were 42nd Street faves, and I was sorry to hear that he came down with Alzheimer's before he died.

by Anonymousreply 3904/30/2013

Actually Charles Bronson was a star in the 70's. He was very popular. Ffs, do you know that there are even Charles Bronson dolls( Charles Bronson action figures)out there?

I'm not a fan of Bronson but i respect people who with a mug like his manage to become stars.

by Anonymousreply 4005/01/2013

It's untrue that only gorgeous-looking men cheat on their wives or on their girlfriends. Charles Manson was a notorious womanizer. Fidelity has nothing to do with looks.

by Anonymousreply 4105/01/2013

*Charles Bronson was a notorious womanizer

by Anonymousreply 4205/01/2013

Of course it's trashy.

by Anonymousreply 4305/01/2013

Roger Ebert about Death Wish(1974)

by Anonymousreply 4405/01/2013

Fidel Santiago form the Golden Girls had a recurring role in the Death Wish movies....without an accent!

by Anonymousreply 4505/01/2013

I saw 'Chato's Land' (1972)

This is the first film out of six that Charles Bronson and Michael Winner made together.

I wonder how many revenge films Bronson did during his career. Lol, it's funny.

Well, what i like with westerns is the location. I don't expect much from the plot in this kind of films...Anyway 'Chato's Land' despite it's deficiencies is an interesting western and not predictable. However, i was a bit disturbed from the end.

by Anonymousreply 4605/02/2013

I love r45 for being able to work the Golden Girls into a thread about Charles Bronson and Death Wish

by Anonymousreply 4705/02/2013

I agree about "The Sandpiper." Bronson was already about 45 then which wouldn't be a big deal today but most 45 year old men didn't have such great bodies back then. The man was built like a god.

by Anonymousreply 4805/02/2013

The whole series is a perfect example of ridiculously over-the-top popular cinema that appealed to the worst impulses of its audience, and helped bring into power "traditional" conservative politicians who promised a "return" to civility while financially raping the world.

In short: an American classic. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 4905/02/2013

And so far no one's mentioned Death Wish being the first appearance in a film of the future Cosmo and Rose Castorini? Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 5005/02/2013

He was beautiful, and his acting was lovely and subtle, in the Twilight Zone episode "Two," costarring a cute brunette Elizabeth Montgomery.

He managed to make sexy a suit jacket, necktie-- and no shirt.

by Anonymousreply 5105/02/2013

I wonder if he and Steve McQueen got along together. For some reason, I think that they did. Anybody knows?

by Anonymousreply 5205/02/2013

Thank you R47 I thought it needed to be said.

I totally agree with the poster who said that Death Wish 3 is the best one. It's unintentionally funny, from the cranky victimized old people to the "gang" members that include a menacing blond haired valley boy and a punk girl along with the black and Latino stereotypes.

But Charles Bronson turns it out as always. There is something really satisfying about his performance.

by Anonymousreply 5305/02/2013

What I love about "Death Wish 3", apart from what everyone else has noted, is that it is so obviously filmed in the rough streets of England. It just has to be by design that the settings do not even remotely resemble New York.

by Anonymousreply 5405/02/2013

'Autocue bitch' at R35 is Tina Brown, trying to break into TV. No surprise she stuck with print.

Michael Winner was/is a punchline: a greedy boastful snobbish right-wing hack. He was apparently sincere when he lamented his neglect by the British Film Institute.

He ate himself to death with bad oysters and raw steak.

by Anonymousreply 5505/03/2013

The only person I ever saw beat up Charles Bronson on film was . . . Katharine Hepburn. In [italic]Pat and Mike[/italic], there's a scene where thugs come because of some gambling scheme Mike is caught up in. Pat takes them out with judo, IIRC. Charles Bronson, then Buchinsky, played one of the thugs.

And he actually could act when cast in something better. Try [italic]Hard Times[/italic] or [italic]the Indian Runner[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 5605/03/2013

He and Ireland made an uncharacteristic Western called From Noon til Three, I think. It's satiric, charming, and not very violent.

And he was hot in an ugly/hot way--great body he maintained well into middle age.

But I'm not really a fan.

by Anonymousreply 5705/03/2013

I'm not a fan either but i like the alternative he offers.

by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2013

Was Charlie into anal?

by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2013

R59...dunno really. Lol!

Well...i guess he tried that though.

by Anonymousreply 6005/04/2013

I find it disrespectful that you deleted the Charles Bronson thread. You did the same with the Steve McQueen thread! Coincidence? Both McQueen and Bronson has many fans either you like it or not!

You have certainly issues.

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2014

I totally agree with you R61. Why the hell that Charles Brosnon thread doesn't exist anymore? What a shame! It had some really yummy photos of CB.

by Anonymousreply 6209/30/2014

by Anonymousreply 6309/30/2014

Cool movie for early 70s non-typical NYC location shots. Boy was the city gritty back then!

by Anonymousreply 6409/30/2014

Yeah he was...

I would love to read a biography about this handsome ape. Hehehe...

by Anonymousreply 6509/30/2014

There is the briefest shot of Laurence Fishburne III's penis in DW2. The imagine in all its tiny floppiness stuck with me over the years as he became more famous, serious and respectable.

by Anonymousreply 6609/30/2014

His first wife, Harriett Bronson, wrote a book about him. It is a page-turner.

by Anonymousreply 6709/30/2014

OP, if you haven't already, you should watch "Taxi Driver" and "Ms. 45"

by Anonymousreply 6809/30/2014

If people think this is bad imagine how bad a remake would be.

by Anonymousreply 6904/08/2015

Bronson starred in a TV show called "Man with a Camera" during 1958 - 1960.

by Anonymousreply 7004/08/2015

[quote]I doubt this movie did much for NYC tourism. Bronson's character had no problem finding criminals to mix it up with.

At the time it was all you ever heard about New York...the muggings and the muggers.

by Anonymousreply 7104/08/2015

Death Wish vs. Taxi Driver vs. Ms. 45 vs. Bad Lieutenant

by Anonymousreply 7204/08/2015

Is Jeff Goldblum mortified by his performance in this?

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!