Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Guys of "Merlin" Show Off Their Gorgeous Bods

Is this show worth watching? What channel's it on? Do they flop their dicks out of anything?

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013

Nice idea, but imho bad execution.

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2011

What?! No Arthur or Merlin? Who gives a fuck about these other guys?

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2011

OK. Syfy. No.

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2011

Heterosexuals on the cover of a supposed gay magazine. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2011

Without Colin Morgan, those photos are worthless.

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2011

Reviving old thread to add photo that recently caused a stir on tumblr, since there were wishes here for Colin Morgan shots. Not undressed, but he was captured with his cock outline showing through a thin costume. He hasn't shown any skin since season one Merlin and I think we all missed those couple of pre-Merlin plays where he did scenes in his underwear and nude, so something is better than nothing.

He's really cute, and the muscle he's put on now looks good on him.

by Anonymousreply 702/05/2013

What are the career prospects for the white guy with the yellow skin who was on the show?

by Anonymousreply 802/05/2013

Do you mean the guy who played Arthur, Bradley James? Depends partly on him, I would say. So far he seems less driven than some of his co-stars. Colin Morgan managed to fit a play and two independent films in between filming seasons of Merlin. Bradley just seemed to want to use his off time to play sports.

I'm sure he has some offers, although they may be similar to his Arthur role since he so fits the "handsome, sarcastic jock" type. The rest of the main cast seem to be getting opportunities so I don't see why he wouldn't be too.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

R9, why do you think it's Bradley James to whom R8 refers?

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

Because he described the guy as "the white guy with the yellow skin", r10. When I've seen yellow skin brought up on DL in the past in has been threads devoted to blonds whose skin have an attractive yellowish sort of tone. Bradley is blond and his skin could be described as goldish - it's not brown and it's not pale white. The only other blond guy I can think of is Sir Leon and he has pale white skin.

That was just guessing, though. I leave it to r8 to tell us if that's who he was trying to refer to.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

Is this show finally over now? I couldn't believe the BBC dragged it out for 5 seasons. I stopped watching after a couple of seasons because it was going nowhere.

Merlin's secret magic power should have been revealed to Arthur by the end of the first or second season at the latest and yet it kept on getting put off by the writers and yet they duped the fans to keep tuning in. Virtually nothing ever seemed to happen or go anywhere.

As for Bradley James, he's just one of those actors who lucked out by being in the right time at the right place and had a producer friend who got him the role. He has virtually no acting ability and I don't think we will see much of him now that this show has wrapped up. He's kind of like Hayden Christensen.

Colin Morgan has some potential as a character actor who could do some unusual supporting parts in film and theater, particularly back in his native Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

r12 it's really common for long running TV drama and comedy shows based around a certain situational premise to stick to it for most of the series. They normally come up with excuses, some really farfetched, why the status quo has to be maintained week after week. It's not a dupe to any but the most naive viewers because most people understand how TV series normally play out and because usually regular viewers take enjoyment just from the characters and their activities. Five years wasn't that long comparatively speaking, and the makers of Merlin didn't do misleading promotions falsely suggesting that reveals were going to happen and then failing to deliver.

They could have revealed Merlin's magic early on, but they would then have had to really change the show to keep telling one hour stories. Major changes would risk putting off viewers, and also would have called for stronger writers. Merlin was the most powerful magic user in all the world and Camelot is a major military force. Usually the only serious obstacle to solving a problem was having to do it without openly doing magic, without that everything would be over in minutes and they'd be left chatting about their relationships or something for the remaining hour. It was just a fantasy family show anyway, and it maintained a good sized fanbase (though, granted, that was largely due to the actors' abilities and likability).

Bradley James may not be begging for an oscar, but he's no Hayden Christensen. Hayden Christensen was awful, he didn't even have charisma let alone acting ability. His co-star Katie McGrath had no acting background at all and displayed less skill than Bradley, but she's already been cast in the new TV show by the creator of Skins. I'm sure Bradley will be offered some pretty good opportunities.

Colin Morgan was already getting strong reviews as both a lead and supporting actor on the London stage before Merlin and he's continued to get strong reviews for his stage and screen performances so I'd don't see any reason he'd be limited to Ireland. He can do non-irish accents, there's more work to be had in the UK than Ireland, he's still young and good looking, and his Merlin fans make him a draw.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

R13, major revelations are supposed to take place, even in an ongoing t.v. series that lasts multiple seasons. Major secrets about the characters on Doctor Who were revealed years ago, and on the show 'Roswell' the fact that the main characters were aliens was revealed to some of the other characters in the very first episode! Uther was also kept around too long as well - he should have been killed off much earlier. And Gaius wasn't needed for so long, either.

It doesn't seem like the BBC was that impressed with the direction of Merlin or wouldn't they have continued it longer than 5 seasons? It doesn't seem to have made anywhere near the impact of Doctor Who on British culture. I get the sense that the BBC is making Doctor Who's 50th anniversary its main priority this year and is happy to let some of these lesser shows fade from view.

From what I can tell, the only work Bradley James got during Merlin was a supporting role in a British sports movie that opened at #8 at the box office. He doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and as someone mentioned above, he is a sports jock. And isn't he a jerk in real life? I don't see him getting much work in the years ahead.

Not sure what all the excitement above is over Colin Morgan's pants bulge, either. There's only a blurred outline - it's really not much to get worked up about. However, I do know a couple of people who saw Colin naked on stage about 5 or 6 years ago in "A Prayer For My Daughter" who said he has a big uncut cock, but you're certainly not going to be able to see much in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

Ooh, a Merlin thread - I've missed these for a while (seriously). I have to say, the show's finale did a lot to make me forgive the failings of the later seasons - even though they crammed a lot into two episodes, they covered a lot of emotional terrain very well, and the performances were fantastic.

I agree the "reveal" should have happened much earlier (like, series 4). Even with the monster-of-the-week format, the show didn't have problems with major plot changes (hello, Uther's death was almost a complete reset of the dynamics), and it would have been fun to explore Merlin's magic and the building of an Albion with more than "I have magic, oops you're dead, I guess Gwen will build the country, see you in 1000 years." Because we were otherwise left with a lot of redundant and repeated plot lines that felt tired and phoned in, propped up only by the likeable cast.

I don't think Bradley James will have any problems. He's good-looking, athletic, and while he doesn't have quite the same acting chops or depth as Colin Morgan, he plays a particular type of character very well, with charm to spare. As good as Colin was, the show wouldn't have been nearly as popular without his chemistry with Bradley.

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2013

R15, the 'reveal' should have happened back in Season 1 or 2. I know one friend who stopped watching around Ep 10 of Season 1 because Merlin used magic right in front of Arthur back in his village and Arthur thought it was Merlin's friend. And then the same ruse went on and on.

I'm assuming the show wasn't going up in the ratings and was just treading water, otherwise why did the BBC not renew it after Season 5?

And Bradley James is just average looking, actually. He has crooked teeth and his body is nowhere near as ripped as American actors like Taylor Lautner or Paul Wesley. Someone above said he has weird-colored skin, although I don't know about that. Maybe he makes the grade on British t.v., but I don't see him crossing over to Hollywood like Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Jackman, Colin Firth etc.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

Doctor Who is a very long running series all told, and it's format is very different. It is built around change and renewal. The main characters cycle out of show and get replaced as part of the premise, locations and challenges change constantly, and nothing about the story telling really relies on preserving a situational obstacle. Merlin is not like Doctor Who at all. It's like Superman. Super powerful guy who could fix everything quick and easy but has complication of hiding his abilities and the humourous indignities of maintaining drudge job where he's disrespected and gets mocked and underestimated by love interest who he secretly saves on a regular basis. Only Merlin doesn't even have kryponite to constrain him should the magic ban disappear. Superman went on like that for a long ass time as a comic and in the TV show Lois & Clark. Lots of TV shows have relied heavily on preserving the status quo.

[quote] the show 'Roswell' the fact that the main characters were aliens was revealed to some of the other characters in the very first episode!

Merlin's magic was revealed to Gaius in the very first episode, and the cast was tiny at the start of the series and stayed fairly small.

Lancelot picked up on it later too. Once Lancelot died they probably should have let one of the other knights like Gwaine in on it, though.

[quote] And Gaius wasn't needed for so long, either.

Gaius? You've got to be kidding. He was a major plot device for writers, a father figure and Merlin's only real human support and cheering squad. Viewers liked him, it would have been too cruel in a family show to have poor little boyish Merlin toiling away in complete loneliness and obscurity with no one there at the end of the day to pat him on the head, and the continual chats with Gaius were useful to let audience in on what Merlin is thinking and introduce information important to the plot.

[quote] From what I can tell, the only work Bradley James got during Merlin was a supporting role in a British sports movie that opened at #8 at the box office.

He didn't appear to actually be interested in working during the few months they got off between seasons, though, and he was just a supporting character in that movie. When asked about other projects he'd get disinterested and start going on about sports. I don't think his output during Merlin is indicative of lack of offers.

[quote] He doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and as someone mentioned above, he is a sports jock. And isn't he a jerk in real life? I don't see him getting much work in the years ahead.

He's not stupid. He's got a dry sarcastic wit and he talks sensibly. There hasn't been actual signs of him being a jerk, that just gets assumed by some posters for whom sports enthusiast automatically equals jerk.

I don't know about a long career in acting, but I'm sure at present he's getting offers.

[quote] There's only a blurred outline - it's really not much to get worked up about.

Merlin has a sizable and enthusiastic fandom on the web. They predictably had a lot of fun with it.

Also bear in mind that while other guys and Merlin have been tossing away their shirts at the slightest excuse over the years, Colin Morgan has spent the show bundled up in loose layers from foot to chin.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2013

"while other guys and Merlin" should read "while other guys ON Merlin".

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2013

R17, one of the things that came to annoy me about the Merlin fandom is that it seemed predominantly composed of women and fangirls - very few straight guys or gays.

Gaius was important in the first few seasons, yes, but after that he should have been written out like Uther so that the younger characters could move on and go into a new direction. Anyway, that's a minor detail now.

And I doubt Bradley James is getting many offers, and the other cast members probably aren't getting that much either. Remember that only a small number of people get regular work in acting - we've had insiders on here before who have worked in the world of show biz, and you still have to audition for roles and work hard to get them when you are just starting out. The cast of Merlin is largely unknown and aren't just going to get parts handed to them.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2013

[quote] the "reveal" should have happened much earlier (like, series 4)...and it would have been fun to explore Merlin's magic and the building of an Albion with more than "I have magic, oops you're dead, I guess Gwen will build the country, see you in 1000 years."

Agreed. Season 5 would have been a lot better if they took time with Arthur realizing Merlin has magic, Arthur and Merlin dealing with that and the fall out, the rest of Camelot learning about the magic and reacting to it, Merlin eventually assuming a new role in the kingdom, and Merlin and Arthur negotiating their new dynamics.

Bradley James was vocal all along about wanting Arthur to figure it out on his own so he doesn't look as stupid, and I think that would have been the better way to go. It would lend to slower development and more drama and tension. Arthur notices something, Arthur keeps watch for confirmation, Arthur deliberates over how to react, maybe he banishes Merlin or something for a while...

The writers were really bad at designing story arcs. I think most viewers were wishing they could parachute a few stronger writers with clearer vision into the writers' midst to get plans organized.

The first few seasons would have been way to early, though. Sure it's a bit frustrating, but that's part of the deal with these kinds of shows.

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2013

They aren't just starting out, r19. They are young but they've established themselves as known entities in the UK. Merlin brought in millions of viewers every week. The series was sold to over 180 countries. They have demonstrated they can work on a series without becoming a headache. They avoided scandal and tabloids during the show, and preserved reputations for being pleasant to work with and very good with fans. They are attractive and youthful. They've also had the chance to make some connections.

They'll get offers in the UK. The central four all have relatively significant projects announced already except for Bradley and the show only ended one month ago.

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2013

Merlin wrapped the series with a season 5 finale.

These guys are making a little money after the fact.

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2013

The show was doing very well at home and internationally, and the BBC and pouducers would have happily carried on. It was the actors (or some of them - that bit's been mysterious), who didn't want to continue after their initial 5-year commitment ended.

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2013

Bradley James is very hot. See pic.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2013

Colin Morgan has joined new BBC drama "Quirke":

The three-part series will star Byrne as a sombre Dublin pathologist who solves crimes in the 1950s.

Morgan - who won a National Television Award last night (January 23) for his performance in the final series of Merlin - will appear in the third Quirke episode 'Elegy' as the character Jimmy Minor.

Speaking after the NTAs last night, the Irish star claimed that the rumoured Merlin movie is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Quirke has been filming on location in Ireland since November.

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2013

Looks like the Merlin troll is back to bumping this thread again.

I'm just glad this awful show is over and that we won't have to see some of its cast, particularly the awful Bradley James.

Now we can get on to more important things like the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who!

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2013

sexy art.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.