Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Spinners

A documentary on the group -- formed in the 1950s but most popular in the 1970s -- was on TV One this past weekend.%0D %0D Any fans, here?

by Anonymousreply 4908/01/2013

No, never liked them.

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2011

One of my all time favs.%0D %0D Rubberband Man

by Anonymousreply 209/06/2011

Loved their early stuff at Motown, especially "Truly Yours." But like so many others at Motown, there career was sacrificed at the altar of Miss Ross, especially after HDH left Motown.%0D %0D Their Tom Bell/Linda Creed works at Philly International are classics IMHO, especially "Mighty Love."

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2011

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look out for a rerun. %0D %0D The lead singer had an amazing voice and doesn't get near enough credit.

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2011

R3,%0D %0D Bell's first name has in [italic]h[/italic] in it.%0D %0D Thom Bell.%0D %0D He was the Grammys' first-ever Producer of the Year winner, in 1974, for The Spinners' [italic]Mighty Love[/italic] album.%0D %0D Linda Creed co-wrote "The Greatest Love of All" and died in 1986 from cancer.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2011

I get The Spinners confused with The Whispers.

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2011

I like them

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2011

I really loved them a lot.

"Games People Play" is THE SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2011

"But like so many others at Motown, there career was sacrificed at the altar of Miss Ross."%0D %0D Are you Mary Wilson or Gladys Knight?%0D %0D The Spinners had huge success after leaving Motown. They enjoyed a good seven, eight years of constant chart success at Atlantic, where they did work that was FAR superior to Motown.%0D %0D Their careers suffered because of disco, not Motown.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2011

Possibly my favorite song ever:

Spinners - I'll Be Around

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2011

I lost my homo cherry while Rubberband Man was playing to a 6 foot blonde adonis. He was totally beautiful. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 1109/06/2011

Mighty Love!

Saw them in the 70s with my mom at Westchester Premiere Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 1209/06/2011

then came you!

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2011

Loved their version of "Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me, Girl". Just really catchy and uplifting. Also loved "It's A Shame".

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2011

I never get tired of hearing "I'll Be Around", even after all these years. I thought Phillipe Wynn was a great R&B singer, very distinctive.

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2011

It's A Shame - one of my all-time favorites.

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2011

I was kind enough to let them appear on "Dionne and Friends" back in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2011

Love them, and love Unsung. The best show no one is watching seems.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2011

I've been watching Unsung since it started. I love that they found many of the artists that I've wanted to hear from again like DeBarge, The Sylvers, Cherrelle, Alexander O'Neal, Evelyn Champagne King and Mickey Howard. It's a really well produced show.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2011

I love the one hour biography, "Unsung." Some of the recent shows have focused on: Phyllis Hyman, Alexander O'Neal & Charelle, Teena Marie, The Sylvers, Billy Preston, Mary Wells, Sylvester, and Tammi Terrell.%0D %0D Tune in.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2011

The episode about Mary Wells was very good too. I didn't realize she was the artist that really got Motown off the ground. And she was quite cute when she was younger.

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2011

" But like so many others at Motown, there career was sacrificed at the altar of Miss Ross, especially after HDH left Motown."

Stop making shit up R3. You obviously drank the victim kool aid. A lot of the artists evolved to the trend in the 70s, but a lot of them didn't. Take a look at all the Motown artists who had hits in then. Get a grip, man.

BTW, I loved "Love Don't Love Nobody" by the Spinners.

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2011

Love The Spinners! Have some great memories of their music "back in the day." Unsung is a great series. Just watched Mary Wells and Billy Preston this weekend. Lots of fascinating, little known info.

by Anonymousreply 2309/07/2011

They were treated like second class citizens at Motown and never got any decent material or promotion. The Temptations were the label's focus.

Aretha Franklin is the one who got them on Atlantic Records, where they went on to become a huge success with millions of records sold with Thom Bell producing.

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2011

Saw them live few years ago...still sound great.

by Anonymousreply 2509/07/2011

The Spinners are one of my favorite groups of all time. Loved all their songs but if I had to pick, it would be I'll Be Around.

by Anonymousreply 2609/07/2011

Philippe Wynne had a wonderful pop voice. The Spinners are still one of my favorite groups.

by Anonymousreply 2709/07/2011

I third the I'll Be Around shout out. There is also an excellent dance version of that by Terri Wells. Also love One of a Kind Love Affair and Then Came You. Phillipe's voice is one of the iconic 70s soul voices up there with Teddy, Eddie Levert and Jimmy Ellis of the Trammps.

by Anonymousreply 2809/07/2011

R9/R22 obviously have reading comnprehension problems. R3 never claimed the Spinners didn't have great success after leaving Motown. The point of R3's post is that the Spinners, along with the Isley Brothers, The Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips and others all left Motown because they felt they weren't getting the right materials, the right producers and the right promotion because of Motown's limited resources. And what resources Motown did have were being spent on Miss Ross' solo career. And they were right. All of the above mentioned groups had much more success after leaving Motown than they did while they were there.%0D %0D Hell, even Stevie Wonder considered leaving leaving Motown in the early 70's, tired of the artistic constraints on his career.

by Anonymousreply 2909/07/2011

They should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

by Anonymousreply 3009/07/2011

Another vote for "I'll be Around". Lost my hymen to a lesbian Marine to that song.%0D %0D El Toro, MCAS, circa 1972

by Anonymousreply 3109/07/2011

I went to see the Temptations in the early 90s and the Spinners opened for them. The Spinners KILLED. The Temptations looked like an act playing a nursing home compared to the Spinners. It was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 3209/07/2011

You can't get much better or smoother classic R&B than "I'll Be Around" or "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love?".

by Anonymousreply 3309/07/2011

The episode about Billy Preston discussed Billy's homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2011

I didn't know Preston was gay when I was listening to him back in the 70's. It was pretty surprising when I first heard about it.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2011

Ha R31..that would make an interesting threads..songs we gave it up to. Mine was Heart of Glass and then into Viola Will's If You Could Read My Mind.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2011

[quote]Phillipe's voice is one of the iconic 70s soul voices up there with Teddy, Eddie Levert and Jimmy Ellis of the Trammp

And may I add these other (unsung?) great lead singers of 70's soul, Russell Thompkins, Jr. of the Stylistics, Lenny Williams of Tower of Power, Cuba Gooding Sr., of The Main Ingredient, Maurice White and Phillip Bailey of Earth Wind and Fire. I love them all.

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2011

Billy Preston is gay? How did I not know that?

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2011

I loved the Spinners. They were neglected by Motown, but reached success with Atlantic.%0D %0D Disco didn't ruin the Spinners, they had great success for the entire period of the disco era. They just got older like most groups do. Their last big hit was a cover of "Workin' My Way Back To You" which had a definite disco beat to it.%0D They did a cover of "Cupid" which also did well, but they faded after that. %0D %0D They're still around as a group, however, many of the original and subsequent members have died.

by Anonymousreply 3909/08/2011

[quote]Billy Preston is gay? How did I not know that?

Was. He died a while back.

I loved the Spinners. When I think of the greats of 70s soul, it's always Earth, Wind & Fire, the Commodores, then the Spinners. It's nice to see they aren't forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2011

Love them.%0D %0D I knew my mom had good taste in music when she introduced me to "One of a Kind(Love affair)...

by Anonymousreply 4109/09/2011

Which group did I Believe IN You And Me? I loved that song

by Anonymousreply 4209/09/2011

r28 posts for me. I loved One of a Kind Love Affair. Such a unique and musical sound with lead Philippe. The chord progressions and rhythms were very innovative, Thom Bell got a great Philly Soul sound with them. I always looked forward to listening to everything from them in that period.

by Anonymousreply 4309/09/2011

I knew Billy Preston was gay, I'm just surprised they discussed it on Unsung. %0D %0D The Sylvers episode was great. Had no idea they lived in the projects in South Central LA. They always had a black middle class image. Leon Sylvers was so talented. %0D %0D And the Spinners were just glorious, the epitome of feel good music

by Anonymousreply 4409/09/2011

No Spinners for me. Give me the O'Jays.

by Anonymousreply 4509/09/2011

Loved this. Better than the original. %0D

by Anonymousreply 4609/10/2011

And songwriter Linda Creed was a brilliant lyricist. Check out this song by the Spinners "Ghetto Child". Substitute the word ghetto with gay and see how it works. I think this was Creed's intention for this song. She wrote a similar song for the Stylistics, "Children Of The Night", check that one out too.

by Anonymousreply 4709/11/2011

They are a wonderful group. I play their music all the time like they are still on the charts today! Bobby, Philipe, Henry, Bill and Pervis will always live in my heart! The were a really great group with many great songs. So sad they were not recognized in the music world the way they should have been! But I love them!

by Anonymousreply 4808/01/2013

They were magic at Atlantic with Thom Bell and Linda Creed behind them. It was just the perfect marriage and those songs still hold up today.

by Anonymousreply 4908/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.