Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Peggy Noonan

Why is she considered one of the best political speech writers in history?

by Anonymousreply 6507/03/2013

By whom, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2011

God, these freeper trolls are everywhere.

Peggy Noonan is considered a right wing hack, a bad writer, and something of a joke in political circles. Remember when Rick Lazio lost his debate to Hilary Clinton so badly that even the right wing press admitted it? Peggy Noonan wrote a column the next day saying Lazio had crushed Clinton into insignificance, and it was the end of her career.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2011

[quote]Why is she considered one of the best political speech writers in history?

She swallows.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2011

Every time she mentions Ronald Reagan, she sounds like a drunken nun with her hand in her pants. Cannot listen to her.%0D %0D And that's not counting her politics.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2011

e

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2011

a few years ago on Morning Joe - it was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving...Peggy was discussing - again - when she worked for RR...she recounted that when she and the other women in her office heard the helicopter landing they would say "daddyyyy'ssss home"

there was complete shock and silence as everyone just stared at her

it was a fantastic moment and shows how fucking deranged she really is

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2011

She is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2011

Isn't Peggy Noonan a drunk -- a half in the bag most days drunk?

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2011

Her most acclaimed words -written for RR at the tragic memorial for the lost crew of the blown up shuttle - were actually lifted from a poem. I don't remember if the poem was credited in his speech, but I don't think so.%0D %0D %0D %0D The poem%0D "High Flight"%0D %0D Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth%0D And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;%0D Sunward I%E2%80%99ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth%0D of sun-split clouds, %E2%80%94 and done a hundred things%0D You have not dreamed of %E2%80%94 wheeled and soared and swung%0D High in the sunlit silence. Hov%E2%80%99ring there,%0D I%E2%80%99ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung%0D My eager craft through footless halls of air....%0D %0D Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue%0D I%E2%80%99ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.%0D Where never lark, or even eagle flew %E2%80%94%0D And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod%0D The high untrespassed sanctity of space,%0D - Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.%0D %0D %0D %0D - John McGee %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2011

Piggy Noonan, another right wing homophobic loon that some gay person actually admires? I just cry for the stupidity of gay people at times.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2011

R11, how wonderful for the planet Earth.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2011

Well, R9 -- in all fairness to Noonan, she may very well have attributed the poem to its author (most writers would do so) & idiot Reagan just didn't realize he was supposed to mention that part.

After all, he's the guy who said that he played Pres Grover Cleveland in the movies, when the character he portrayed was actually baseball pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2011

Peggy (tinkle tinkle tinkle - the sounds of ice cubes clanging together in her cocktail glass) Noonan is a raging alcoholic. Watch her on Meet The Press on a Sunday morning. She hasn't been to bed yet, up all night sipping cocktails. That's our Peggy (vodka can't be detected on the breath) Noonan all right.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2011

She is as insane as Bachmann.....all jibberish.

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2011

She's an institution and part of the DC elite.%0D The Right gave up on her when she trashed Palin.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2011

She was actually quite entertaining when she trashed Palin.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2011

Is she really an alcoholic? Any links to back that up? She looks like one.

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2011

Even Sally Quinn thinks she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2011

R19:

I have no absolute proof if she is or isn't though I've heard she may be one over the years.

It could be character assassination, I suppose, but I want to to think she's a drunk, so I do.

Google "Peggy Noonan" and "alcohol" and see what pops up -- quite a lot actually.

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2011

Peggy Noonan is a moron, only admired by fellow morons. Her works are chock-full of errors. Nobody with brains likes her.

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2011

She's probably one of the only people who shows up on the Sunday morning infotainment gabfests whom none of us has ever seen sober. She maintains a buzz all the time, and thinks that nobody notices.

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2011

Takes one to know one, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2011

She hated Bush, so that's points.

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2011

I have enjoyed her drunken DataLounge posts for years, although she doesn't seem to post here so much anymore. Pat Buchanan's shrill sister, either.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2011

I think she's had a thousand pints of Lite.

by Anonymousreply 2709/03/2011

She went from Dan Rather's radio show to the White House; apparently, somebody on Reagan's time liked her copy, even if it was written for a liberal like Rather.

Probably her best work was Reagan's "the boys of Pont du Hoc" speech, given as the guys who scaled the D-day cliffs looked on.

Later, she came up with Bush I's "I'll try to hold my vaunted charisma in check" after Bush asked Reagan if he could borrow her.

Her WSJ columns are concise, and a bit conversational.

by Anonymousreply 2809/04/2011

Careful (r28). You're not toeing the line here.

by Anonymousreply 2909/04/2011

R29, you've got a point. People here seem to have a psychotic devotion to reality.

by Anonymousreply 3009/04/2011

R26:

I don't think DataLounge's ultra-conservative "peg" is a reference to Peggy Noonan, do you?

by Anonymousreply 3109/04/2011

Uhm, because she isn't?

She's a Reagan-obsessed right wing kook, who can spew anything as if it's a term paper she has slaved over.....Oh, while drinking heavily!

by Anonymousreply 3209/04/2011

No, r31, I was referring to posts that would say something like, "Ish morning again in America." and would be signed "Peggy Noonan, clinking the ice cubes in my scotch."

by Anonymousreply 3309/04/2011

She also confidently predicted Bill Clinton would not win a second term as President (against Dole!), which only proves her gifts of prophesy are not as strong as her gift for raising her finger to gesture for a refill.

by Anonymousreply 3409/04/2011

%0D Her written word is much better than her spoken word.

by Anonymousreply 3509/04/2011

She'sh alwaysh been a big fan of mine!

Oh and vishee, vershee

by Anonymousreply 3609/04/2011

Her written word is quite useful if you're a pet-owner.

by Anonymousreply 3709/05/2011

She is insufferable and hateful, but she can write extremely well. Pretending that she has no talent is just willful stupidity. Very DL.

by Anonymousreply 3809/05/2011

The correct DL reference to this person has always been, "Gin-Soaked Peggy Noonan"

by Anonymousreply 3909/05/2011

Google 'peggington noonington Jim Newell' for wonderful critiques of her 'work'.

by Anonymousreply 4009/05/2011

I don't think there's a person alive who can possibly sound more haughty than she does.

by Anonymousreply 4109/05/2011

A United Technologies/National Journal Congressional Connection poll released last Wednesday found the public almost evenly split on a 20-week ban: 48 percent of respondents said they would support legislation that banned “virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reported to authorities.” Forty-four percent would oppose such a bill.

by Anonymousreply 4207/02/2013

I like her. I can understand why she would not appeal to the men here. She is a woman who has made her mark, regardless of the unanimous opinion, in the realm of politics.

by Anonymousreply 4307/02/2013

Assuming that you are a real woman, and not a snark creation, R43, my Republican-voting mom finds Peggy too much to take.

by Anonymousreply 4407/02/2013

"It might be the sound of trickle-down economics. It's so hard to tell sometimes."

The trickle trickle sound seems more like incontinence to me. Though it's hard to tell the difference between that and the economists.

by Anonymousreply 4507/02/2013

I am embarrassed to admit this because I hate Peggy so much, but this thread prompted me to go watch some of her Reagan D-Day anniversary speech on YouTube, and I actually started crying. Extraordinary how potent cheap music is.

by Anonymousreply 4607/02/2013

I can't stand her fucking sing song tone when she speaks. I usually just turn off whatever channel shoe is on.

by Anonymousreply 4707/02/2013

I believe she wrote the Challenger speech Regan gave the afternoon or evening the shuttle exploded.

"We will never forget them, not the last time we saw them this morning as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God."

by Anonymousreply 4807/02/2013

Peggy Noonan writes a bizarre syndicated Sunday newspaper column every week. It is usually based on feelings Peggy has about what's going on inside the brains of people Peggy barely knows. Conjecture, odd barely contextual observations and opinions offered as fact, and a gimlet-eyed nostalgia for some sort of nirvana that never was under her sexual ideal Ronald Reagan.

Peggy seems tipsy anytime she appears on tv unless it's very early in the morning, and seems like a sad alcoholic. Her obsession with all things Reagan, and her bizarre pronouncements about her homemade facts is as amusing as it is troubling. The reptation she seems to still have as some sort of serious thinker is inexplicable to sentient beings, in my opinion.

I find the courage to read her column usually on Tuesday mornings, and it generally causes some of my brain to liquify and leak out of my ears. Try it!

by Anonymousreply 4907/02/2013

Heh, if you give good head, Peggy's your girl! She swallows and men love a cum pig who swallows!

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013

I think she's a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 5107/02/2013

I doubt she drinks, but if she were self-medicating when she did, she's likely on medication now. In any event she does have a very unusual speech pattern, dragging things out. She's also extremely far right. In fact, like Nancy Reagan, she was probably farther to the right than Ronnie was and led him even farther that direction in her speeches. All that oozy religion and romanticism while workers starve is how she thinks.

by Anonymousreply 5207/02/2013

behind you are the cliffs of Normandy; before you are the boys of Pont du Hoc.

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013

"In fact, like Nancy Reagan, she was probably farther to the right than Ronnie was and led him even farther that direction in her speeches."

I don't think that's true about Nancy. I've always read that, while she was certainly no liberal, she nevertheless regarded the really true-believer movement conservatives around Reagan with some wariness, and if she was going to push him in any direction on an issue, it would be toward what she perceived as the center rather than the right.

Although in general, I don't think she ever cared as much about influencing policy as she did personnel (particularly eliminating people who crossed her, e.g. Don Regan) and scheduling (making sure his appearances and trips were scheduled in accordance with her astrologer's recommendations).

by Anonymousreply 5407/02/2013

Peggy once saw a Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 5507/02/2013

R54, I'm not the poster you quoted but I do recall something like this about Nancy.

Her politics supposedly came from her worship of her step-father. He was some kind of John Bircher or in a similar group. He had money and was higher up the social ladder than her father. Young Nancy took on all of step-daddy's views as her own. They were certainly more extreme than Ronnie's and we do know that Nancy was influential with Ronnie, beyond scheduling.

by Anonymousreply 5607/02/2013

Peggy Noonan's claim to fame is that when she shows up on one of the Sunday morning pundit shows, she's already consumed most of a fifth of vodka.

She's got a hard-on for St. Ronnie, simply because he hired her to be a speech-writer her at a time (the last 70 years) where she simply did not possess any skills that qualified her for any job. They love her on the pundit shows because she has the one skill that they value--the ability to say something absolutely stupid with total conviction.

And ever night, she masturbates herself to sleep with a 35-year-old dried jalapeño the exact shape and size of Ronald Reagan's penis (while he was alive.)

by Anonymousreply 5707/02/2013

Not true, R54. Ronnie was a union official when he started dating Nancy. She introduced him to conservative ideas. Her family was staunch republican living in the Chicago suburbs. Her views ware along the lines of the Ayn Rand nonsense about the brilliant needing to be free to rise to the top (on the backs of others of lesser worth, of course). He got out of the union, turned in others to McCarthy's committee. As his acting career was losing steam, he started doing commercials for GE, while she continued to educate him. As she formed him, he became an increasingly attractive figure in the republican party. He was drafted to run for governor.

Do you remember his funeral? The jet had to leave DC by a certain time and go like hell to get to the burial site in California so that the ceremony could take place as the sun was setting. Nancy was insistent, again the romantic vision of his image. Ironically, she saw them as the rich and smart, while taking charity from friends, who bought them the house they lived in and paid for other things. Oh, and after he ended his presidency, unlike other presidents who helped their parties or got involved with charitable foundations, he charged big bucks to give speeches overseas to enrich himself. With Nancy's encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 5807/02/2013

"A kinder gentler nation" "A thousand points of light" "Read my lips no new taxes!"

She's regarded as a great speech writer because she was instrumental in getting George HW Bush elected in 1988. He was derided as a wimp and Dukakis was ahead by 18 points. Bush came out of the GOP convention triumphant and won the election decisively.

That was a long time ago and she has since been an ABSURD commentator but credit where credit is due.

by Anonymousreply 5907/02/2013

r56 and r58, you make good points about the period when Reagan and Nancy first got together when he was shifting from Democrat to Republican, which may have been what r52 was referring to. I was thinking more along the lines of once he had already gone into politics, when I don't think Nancy ever gave much of a shit about tax policy or eliminating the Department of Education or any of that conservative stuff, and when I think if anything she was against the "Evil Empire"/hardline stuff on the Soviet Union and wanted him to be seen as a peacemaker with Gorbachev (despite her intense personal loathing of Raisa).

And yes, r58, regarding your last paragraph, an obsession with visuals/optics and an intense sense of greed and acquisitiveness were always far more powerful driving forces for Nancy Reagan than any policy positions ever were!

by Anonymousreply 6007/02/2013

R59, did you ever see the photo of Dukakis in the tank? Eviscerated him. Bush 41 was sufficiently athletic and Dukakis just looked like a doofus. After Lee Atwater made sure that photo got plenty of exposure, Dukakis' ratings dropped like a rock. Then there was the Willy Horton ad, another Atwater success. Dukakis seemed completely incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 6107/02/2013

Yes I know [R61] those events were after the convention. It was THAT acceptance speech that changed the dynamics of the election.

by Anonymousreply 6207/03/2013

[quote]I doubt she drinks

And you'd be wrong!

by Anonymousreply 6307/03/2013

There's too much nonsense about alcohol. If she were really drinking, they wouldn't let her on the air for fear of some major embarrassment. That doesn't mean she isn't medicated and crazy. She could do an amazing Blanche DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 6407/03/2013

She seemed to have disappeared for a time after the 2012 election.

She was one of those who thought Romney had in the bag. Her reasoning? He had more lawn signs.

The last few months she has started popping up again on the Sunday shows.

by Anonymousreply 6507/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.