Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who use "but it''s the LAW" as an excuse.

If the congress passed a law requiring you to deposit all your money into a list of approved banks, would you do it?

If they passed a law requiring all people to get DNA tested and fingerprinted, in case you commit a crime in the future (or committed one in the past that they can track) would you do it?

If they passed a law that women could only have 2 children before mandatory sterilization, would you support it?

If they passed a law requiring you to register all gold and silver jewelry, and all potentially valuable works of art or other possessions (for tax purposes) would you do it?

If they passed a law mandating breathalyzer ignition systems for all cars, would you support it?

If they passed a law requiring you to list your sexual orientation, (or religion, or ethnic/racial heritage) on your drivers license (under penalty of perjury) would you do it?

Think about that the next time someone uses the line "I'm just following the law and what it orders" and recall the Nuremburg trials.

by Pissed off liberalreply 4402/02/2013

OP is not a pissed off liberal, OP is a libertarian.

by Pissed off liberalreply 109/02/2011

OK, OP - but none of those things ARE the law. Why don't you try to list things that ARE the law that you fine intrusive?

by Pissed off liberalreply 209/02/2011

Just another libertarian douchebag.%0D %0D %0D %0D We have laws for a reason. You want a country with no laws? Move to Somalia, m'kay?

by Pissed off liberalreply 409/02/2011

Guess I pushed a button with the webbie...

by Pissed off liberalreply 509/02/2011

"Seriously, the list of egregious and ignorant laws would take a year to list, and that's just at the federal level."

Fine, list 5.

And try to be a tad more specific about the Patriot Act, OP. It's like saying "Hollywood liberals" at a Michelle Bachmann rally. Push the button, fine, but at least explain why.

by Pissed off liberalreply 609/02/2011

I hope R6 gets busted pissing in his lawn and has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

by Pissed off liberalreply 709/02/2011

I would follow the law, even if I didn't like it. I would try to change, via our representational system of governance, the questionable law.

OP, you must be very young because most of us have to endure irritating laws all the time.

by Pissed off liberalreply 809/03/2011

"If they passed a law requiring all people to get DNA tested and fingerprinted, in case you commit a crime in the future (or committed one in the past that they can track) would you do it?"

"If they passed a law mandating breathalyzer ignition systems for all cars, would you support it?"

Since you asked, OP, I would have no problem with either of these two laws.

by Pissed off liberalreply 909/03/2011

R9, suppose they pass the DNA law. The next day they discover a "gay" gene.

5 years later a totalitarian president issues an executive order that all "gay gene positive" people are to be executed.

Still support it?

by Pissed off liberalreply 1009/03/2011

OP is the same poster who was smacked down on the thread titled 'Economic Stupidity'. OP's friend worked for Gibson Guitars, who got busted for importing illegal wood.

Someone in that thread knew his/her stuff and called OP out.

Thanks, trolldar!

by Pissed off liberalreply 1109/03/2011

[quote]If they passed a law mandating breathalyzer ignition systems for all cars, would you support it?%0D %0D I support that now!

by Pissed off liberalreply 1209/03/2011

"The next day they discover a "gay" gene.

5 years later a totalitarian president issues an executive order that all "gay gene positive" people are to be executed."

That was an awfully busy 5 years.

by Pissed off liberalreply 1309/03/2011

I'd support the 2 kid rule as law. WTF do you need a crap load of kids for anyways?

by Pissed off liberalreply 1409/03/2011

Umm OP, every bank is preapproved by government so your point makes no sense.

by Pissed off liberalreply 1509/03/2011

[R9], suppose they pass the DNA law. The next day they discover a "gay" gene. 5 years later a totalitarian president issues an executive order that all "gay gene positive" people are to be executed. Still support it?"

That would be wrong because the "executive order" would be wrong, not the DNA testing itself. In the same way that using a breathalyzer test to throw someone in jail because he's discovered to be drunk while walking down the sidewalk would be wrong, but using a breathalyzer to prevent or punish drunk driving is right.

Get it?

by Pissed off liberalreply 1609/03/2011

"If they passed a law that women could only have 2 children before mandatory sterilization, would you support it?"

I would fully support this law! Some people are PIGS about reproduction.

by Pissed off liberalreply 1709/03/2011

Come on guys, I know it's tempting to just argue the OP down, but you can't deny that this DNA law would be very dangerous and just asking for abuse, and that mandatory sterilization after two children is not nice.

I can't figure out what's wrong with the breathalyzer cars.

by Pissed off liberalreply 1809/03/2011

OP = the self-identified Ron Paul supporter from the thread about Gibson guitar wood, who ran like a little girl when a commenter with a whole lot more knowledge pointed out how stupid OP was being there.

OP is a libertarian troll.

by Pissed off liberalreply 1909/03/2011

And consider that a law mandating DNA collection without cause, or a law limiting reproduction in women, would run into serious Constitutional problems and probably be struck down even by a conservative Supreme Court.

There are no obvious Constitutional or civil liberties problems with laws limiting the trade in endangered species. If there were, they would have been challenged long before now.

The federal government has a legitimate role in regulating commerce. Period. Or does the OP want shark-fin soup on the menu legally in his favorite Chinese restaurant?

by Pissed off liberalreply 2009/03/2011

1. Having to drive on the right side of the road.

2. Being forced to use US currency when I go to the store.

3. Not being able to throw a punch when someone needs it.

4. Having to clean up my dogs poop.

5. Not being allowed to key cars that don't know how to park.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2109/03/2011

I think I should only obey the laws I feel like obeying. The rest are for little peple who aren't as smart and as special as I am.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2209/03/2011

I think the breathalyzer idea is a good one.

Nobody has a constitutional right to get behind the wheel of 2 tons of moving metal. So if it would cut down on road deaths i think it makes sense.

The only problem is it's easily overridden by someone else.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2309/03/2011

Women should only be allowed to have one child before mandatory sterilization, and two if they're married or in a stable long-term relationship. (And no she does not have to kill the second one if her husband dies in an accident, so don't make up dumb scenarios).%0D %0D And if people are so into parenting, they may adopt any number of children from anywhere who need homes, providing they can provide for their basic needs. %0D %0D Oh, and all people planning to reproduce or adopt are required to take parenting classes.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2409/03/2011

Also: each Duggar spawn = mandatory sterilization. Period.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2509/03/2011

Apples must be called oranges!%0D %0D Cats must mate with dogs!%0D %0D Everybody must compare gold bricks with blocks of wood and declare them equal!

by Pissed off liberalreply 2609/03/2011

There are a lot of well trained sheeple on this thread.

by Pissed off liberalreply 2709/03/2011

[quote]Think about that the next time someone uses the line "I'm just following the law and what it orders" and recall the Nuremburg trials.

Godwin's Law--LIVE!

by Pissed off liberalreply 2809/03/2011

I'm pretty sure Godwin's war is something about "The longer a discussion goes on the more likely it gets that someone compares the other side to the Nazis". Having a Nazi comparison in an *OP* is therefor not the best example. Plus Nazi comparisons are not wrong by definition.

LOL R24 So the sterilization is mandatory for a woman after birth unless she is currently in a stable long term relationship? Only then she gets the right for another child (whenever, by whomever - it's not as if you could control that) as an award for not having a kid out of wedlock so far? I see you really thought that one through! Very progressive idea!

by Pissed off liberalreply 2909/03/2011

I second R23

by Pissed off liberalreply 3009/03/2011

[quote]OP is the same poster who was smacked down on the thread titled 'Economic Stupidity'. OP's friend worked for Gibson Guitars, who got busted for importing illegal wood.%0D %0D I suspected as much. I guess he's trying to save face in this thread with equally silly assertions after being brutalized in the other.%0D %0D

by Pissed off liberalreply 3109/03/2011

Yes Yes Yes No Yes No No No Yes

by Pissed off liberalreply 3209/03/2011

BIG GOVERNMENT is ruining my life..... except if I need assistance after a hurricane.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3309/03/2011

Oh please bring back the separate "Politics" forum.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3409/03/2011

Everyone hates the troll dar trolls.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3509/03/2011

The most egregious example of "but it's the law" is the way the law protects the profits of Big Pharma by preventing cancer and AIDS patients from cultivating their own marijuana for medicinal purposes. Doctors prescribe dying patients drugs that cost far more than marijuana to replicate the same effects marijuana has on stimulating appetite, and relieving nausea and depression.

The law that lets us buy booze and cigarettes but prevents us from smoking pot for recreational purposes is just as bad. Worse is the way we cannot have hemp products because DuPont and the other manufacturers of synthetics don't want us to have durable organic goods.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3609/03/2011

My complaint is that people defend this or that behavior on the grounds that it's legal. You might be free to do it, but that doesn't mean it's right.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3709/03/2011

I don't disagree entirely, R37, but the converse is also true.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3809/03/2011

[quote] And consider that a law mandating DNA collection without cause, or a law limiting reproduction in women, would run into serious Constitutional problems and probably be struck down even by a conservative Supreme Court.

Yeah, I doubt SCOTUS would strike it down. They seem to like to keep in place all of the laws that compromise our 4th amendment rights.

by Pissed off liberalreply 3909/03/2011

I stick to the earth because of gravity. It's the LAW.

by Pissed off liberalreply 4009/03/2011

Nazis loved the law.

by Pissed off liberalreply 4101/25/2013

Didn't the Nazi war criminals just use the "I was just following the law" defense?

by Pissed off liberalreply 4202/02/2013

Today's reminder that Libertarians are complete fucking idiots is brought to you by "Atlas Shrugged", the Musical. We'd tell you when it opens, but you should find out for yourself, you worthless parasite!

by Pissed off liberalreply 4302/02/2013

R43

If you think Ayn Rand is more important than Rothbard, Von Mises or Hoppe ( or even ranks in the top ten) you're the clueless moron.

by Pissed off liberalreply 4402/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.