Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rachel Maddow come back!

I'm sorry if it makes me a bad liberal but I just can't handle any more Melitha Harrith Perry!

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2013

I ain't "over the moon" about her either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 108/30/2011

I like MHP, but what's going on with Rachel? She's gone a lot lately.

by Anonymousreply 308/30/2011

There is a thread about Melissa, but I can't find it.

Looks like she'll be lisping her way through the rest of the week.

I had to turn her off.

by Anonymousreply 408/30/2011

I can't stand her, either. She's so professorial.

by Anonymousreply 508/30/2011

She's a professor!

by Anonymousreply 608/30/2011

Sorry, but she just doesn't get me wet like Rachel does.

by Anonymousreply 908/30/2011

Hope Rachel is OK and that this is just summer vacation.

I'd rather see Chris Hayes. He's fucking ado-ra-ble, and quite frankly if you squint a bit, he kinda looks like Rachel!

Why is "professorial" a bad thing? Christ. Only in America do we push away the smart people so we can be "the cool kids."

by Anonymousreply 1008/30/2011

Ahhhh. Rick Perry of Texath wanth hith thonagram all up in my uteruth

by Anonymousreply 1108/30/2011

A little Melissa, goes a long way.

I love her as a guest, don't like her as a host.

by Anonymousreply 1208/30/2011

She was interviewing Ezthra Klein the other day. I just giggled and turned off the teevee.

by Anonymousreply 1308/30/2011

Bingo, R12!

by Anonymousreply 1408/30/2011

She lisps? I never noticed. She's okay but a little awkward in the transitions.

by Anonymousreply 1508/30/2011

I like her a hell of a lot more than that nerdy guy with the glasses.

by Anonymousreply 1608/30/2011

You all are conveniently forgetting Rachel's early days as a sub for Keith Olberman. She was awkward in her delivery, but she eventually hit her stride.

I find it hardly suspect that people here would reduce a brilliant academic to caricature status just because she (allegedly) has a slight speech impediment. I'm writing a paper on diversity and it's highly appropriate that this thread exists. God forbid MSNBC try something different and not always go to the same youngish white guys (Hayes and Klein). I like both of them, but Chris is already getting his own show and Ezra doesn't want to leave the Washington Post just yet. Besides, the bright young things you all drool over are very incestuous in terms of their views. They lack distinctive voices, almost to the point that it can seem like they're spouting off White House talking points.

Melissa's commentary has been quite poignant and I appreciate her cultural analysis. That said, I still laugh to myself when I think of a 30 Rock reference Chris Hayes made while discussing Ghadaffi's crush on Condoleeza Rice (while subbing for Lawrence OD). He's coming into his own...maybe they'll give him the Ed Schultz hour. The ES Show is horrible. And Al Sharpton's show manages to be worse!

Her commentary has been very poignant.

by Anonymousreply 1708/30/2011

I really like Melissa. At the risk of sounding like some tedious "independent" voter, she seems like the type of lady who'd be fun to have a beer with.

Furthermore, as someone who spent hours with a speech pathologist in elementary school trying to tame my early-onset gayvoice , I feel like I have a special psychic bond with anyone who struggles with sibilant S's.

by Anonymousreply 1808/30/2011

No allegedly about it r17. The woman has a lisp.

I wanted to like her because I used to when she was just a correspondent and probably still could, but I don't want to spend time with her for an hour at a time with her lisp distracting me from my nighttime liberal news.

My objection to this has nothing to do with a dislike of diversity any more than your dislike of Al Sharpton is about a dislike of diversity.

And on a sidenote, I wish MSNBC had kept Allison Stewart in the fold.

by Anonymousreply 1908/31/2011

I like Melissa, though to me she remains, Harris-Lacewell. It's offensive to accuse someone of racism for not liking her.

by Anonymousreply 2008/31/2011

Is she still referring to Rick Perry as Rick "No Relation" Perry. That was lame the first time.

by Anonymousreply 2108/31/2011

Amen, R21.

And I wholeheartedly concur with R12's observations.

by Anonymousreply 2208/31/2011

I want as many smart liberal voices on TV as possible, even they come with a lisp. I love Melissa Harris Perry and I hope they give her a show.

by Anonymousreply 2408/31/2011

A "slight" impediment? She is the worst of a bad lot of lisping MSNBC guests and hosts: EJ Dionne, Ezra Klein, Chris Cilizza, Reverend Al, Eugene Robinson, Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes, etc. I like most of them but they all need to drop a few dollars and go visit a speech therapist.

by Anonymousreply 2508/31/2011

Why is the lisp an issue? Does anyone of you have a hard time understanding what she says?

by Anonymousreply 2608/31/2011

She said "Chrith Chrithtie" the other night, and I thought my head would explode!

by Anonymousreply 2708/31/2011

She should use sign language.

by Anonymousreply 2808/31/2011

It's not a lisp, at least not a th kind of lisp. I'm not a speech therapist, so I don't know what it's called, but it's more like a weird szh sound comes out because her tongue is stuck to the roof of her mouth, and she doesn't open her teeth wide enough.

But I like her a lot. I agree the cute white boys rarely say anything I haven't heard or thought before, but MHP always gives me new information and a bigger perspective.

Also I agree about Ed Schultz being horrible, and I'm so sick of Chris Matthews interrupting his guests, I can't watch him any more, even though I generally agree with him. And what about his stupid commercial that sounds like he's a birthed, praising Obama and saying, "You can't go to China and become Chinese,"? As if Obama came to the US and became American.

by Anonymousreply 2908/31/2011

Thathy the Theal hates Rick Perry.

by Anonymousreply 3008/31/2011

It's a lisp.

Even though she's fucking annoying, they give Sharpton a show, but not her??? You beat up on her for her speech impediment, but not Sharpton who can't even form a complete sentence?!

by Anonymousreply 3108/31/2011

Oh, R7, you mean like all the other lesbian Jews?

by Anonymousreply 3208/31/2011

Is Maddow going to the Gore channel?

by Anonymousreply 3308/31/2011

R33, NO! She just signed a new contract a few weeks ago. MSNBC has her locked down for well past the 2012 election. Olbermann has to wait awhile for Maddow to jump ship.

by Anonymousreply 3408/31/2011

I love MHP but like others here, cannot listen to her for an hour. Sorry, the lisp grates.

But Ed Schultz also grates with his overblown gasbagging - he needs to watch out, he's going to have a heart attack on air.

And Rev Al - holy moly, why can't he speak properly?? He sounds uneducated and very ghetto. I don't know why he can't speak in more measured tones.

by Anonymousreply 3508/31/2011

I want her to say Sissy Spacek.

by Anonymousreply 3608/31/2011

I like MHP AND Sharpton. BAM!

by Anonymousreply 3708/31/2011

Maybe MSNBC could get Alison Stewart now that she quit PBS. Also, she is married to the (male) producer of Rachel Maddow show. She is leagues better than MHP, whom I respect but do not enjoy. Stewart and MHP Re not at all the same type of host. Stewart doesn't have the academic background of MHP but she also doesn't have the annoying tongue thrust speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 3808/31/2011

I don't think Rachel will ever go over with Keith.

Current is supposed to be building shows around him, but so far, all I've seen is David Shuster.

If that's all they got, they're fucked!

by Anonymousreply 3908/31/2011

R32--Jewish lesbians? Do you imagine Rachel is Jewish? She is not. Jews don't elevate cocktails to objects of fetishism.

by Anonymousreply 4008/31/2011

[R36] oh you bitch! you made me laugh until I peed myself a little!

Well played, bitch, well played!

by Anonymousreply 4108/31/2011

The lisp thing is driving me nuts. I really want to like her, but it's very distracting to me. Has she always had this lisp, or is she wearing Invisalign braces or something? I've heard they cause a lisp. If so she needs to get those things removed ASAP !!

by Anonymousreply 4208/31/2011

Gays judging others because of their lisps? This is RICH!!!

by Anonymousreply 4308/31/2011

No, you are rich, r43. Really!

by Anonymousreply 4409/01/2011

Canes Disease.

You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 4509/01/2011

Do you think RM dates people on the side? Now that she has hit big time, all sorts of lavender ladies must be throwing themselves at her.

by Anonymousreply 4609/01/2011

She is extremely intelligent and articulate but ultimately too academic for television.

by Anonymousreply 4709/01/2011

I don't like any of the MSNBC shows with substitute hosts. The only one I ever liked was the Young Turk and we know how that worked out.

by Anonymousreply 4809/01/2011

How is she too academic for tv?

by Anonymousreply 4909/01/2011

I'm guessing "too academic" means she's too professorial in her style like she's giving you a lecture rather than giving you the news.

Oh and when did White House spokesman Jay Carney morph into a Rachel Maddow clone?

by Anonymousreply 5009/02/2011

Melitha thucks!%0D %0D She's like borderline retarded.

by Anonymousreply 5109/02/2011

[quote] She is extremely intelligent and articulate but ultimately too academic for television.%0D %0D %0D Guess I didn't see her that day.

by Anonymousreply 5209/02/2011

Has she labeled anything racist yet?

by Anonymousreply 5309/02/2011

[quote] I like MHP AND Sharpton. BAM!%0D %0D %0D Sharpton? Oh, please. He is THE WORST. So bad.%0D Embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 5409/02/2011

I just checked my iTunes to see the meaty goodness I'll get to watch for my weekend marathon and see it's all subs... again.

Look, I like the people personally subbing for TRMS. And I don't mind MHPs lisp and I love academics. I just cannot take the sing-songiness of her delivery. It drives me insane. I want to yell, "Talk like you're talking to someone interesting in a hallway. Stop the sing-songing."

Ezra... nice dude, but dead-pan all the way, even when he's emphasizing something. It's like sitting in class while someone reads their book report.

I liked Chris because he bounced around in his chair and exclaimed things in a natural voice. That's what I like about Rachel. She talks like she's just riffing with her friends but there's a national TV camera on her so she's minding her manners.

If MHP can just speak in normal intonations--list or no lisp--I'm with her all the way. If Ezra can add variety in his vocal patterns, I'm with him all the way. Both remind me of an early Prince CD I had as a teenager. It was his very early stuff and he sung in falsetto the whole time. I LOVED Prince but never once was able to listen to that entire album in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 5507/27/2012

It's really grating to me that I said: "he sung" and not: "he sang". I must have been thinking: "he had sung" but didn't type if that way. It's the only explanation. Thank you for this brief indulgence of self-flagellation.

by Anonymousreply 5607/27/2012

I don't watch TRMS when Rachel is on vacation. It's either Rachel or nothing. No one can do what Rachel does. Her show is unique because of her method of opening the show and presenting each night's topic in a way that draws the audience in: something so insignificant as Justin Bieber's chrome car into a tale of lies and deceit by the Romney campaign.

The only other host I felt this way about was Keith Olbermann. When he wasn't on, I didn't watch. No one can replace what Keith did. It's that fire delivered the way only Keith can do.

Every other MSNBC show can have a substitute and it wouldn't matter because those shows are generic, but just with left-leaning. Ed Schultz gone? No one cares. Lawrence O'Donnell? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 5707/27/2012

Don't watch Rachel but this sub has to go. How does someone with a speech impediment get to be on a talk show. She may be brilliant but she's unbearable to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 5807/27/2012

[quote]How does someone with a speech impediment get to be on a talk show.

Two words: Bawbwa Waltews

by Anonymousreply 5907/27/2012

You do know, of course, that MHP has her own news show Saturday and Sunday from 10am to noon, following Chris Hayes's program, neither of which I ever miss an episode.

Her lisp doesn't bother me: I tune in for content.

by Anonymousreply 6007/27/2012

Ditto, 57. I did try, though (which is how I formed my opinions of the the sub shows). Now I think the same thing: It's either their show with them on it, or it's a night off. I found Olbermann in the last year he was on MSNBC. I didn't follow him though.

It's like this: I go to my friend's house to visit a friend not her house. If she isn't there, I'm not going to hang out with the caretaker just to be in the house.

by Anonymousreply 6107/28/2012

She's actually better than she used to be back when she was an occasional panelist (as MH-L).

by Anonymousreply 6207/28/2012

Whatever happened to Allison Stewart?

by Anonymousreply 6307/30/2012

I rarely watch when Rachel's not on, there's so much news available these days. I can't deal with Ezra for more than a guest segment and MHP is only so-so for me. I sometimes watch her on the weekends.

I object, in general, to television hosts and news presenters with speech impediments. Most jobs in the world do not require crystal clear diction and enunciation. People with speech impediments should do those other jobs.

by Anonymousreply 6407/30/2012

MHP is good in small doses, but I tried watching an hour of her and had to turn it off. Like watching paint dry. She doesn't really have enough personality to hold your attention for an hour. Rachel does, and Keith sure did.

by Anonymousreply 6507/30/2012

It's terrible to admit, but yeah, I don't watch if Rachel ain't on. Her substitutes are all smart, funny presenters, but it's totally a personality issue. I need Rachel to explain politics to me.

by Anonymousreply 6607/30/2012

My whole weekend chi was thrown off this week with Chris's show being pre-empted by the Olympics. Very odd how fast that show has gotten into my system. Same with Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 6707/30/2012

Melitha Harrith Perry is wearing an Invisalign dental piece. It's that typical sibilant lisp that lot of reporters use in hopes that it will bring them more attention. VERY ANNOYING!!!! Jane Pauley used to do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 6801/24/2013

For what it's worth, I think MHP trades on making white (liberals) feel guilty - ugh! Totally into the "victim" racket ...

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.