Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What''s it like to take Valium?

Anyone ever taken it? What's the high like?

by Anonymousreply 6709/12/2011

Was given it before minor surgery. Nice buzz to it and all your problems go a way. There is a sense of euphoria.

by Anonymousreply 108/29/2011

It is very similar in some ways to drinking alcohol. In fact, it does chemically very similar things to individual nerves as alcohol, except that alcohol acts along the entire axon.

by Anonymousreply 208/29/2011

I haven't taken the drug Valium, but some time ago I took valerian for awhile. Valium is the synthetic form of valerian, which is an herbal product that is widely available in drugstores, health food stores and other supermarkets without a prescription. It is a tranquilizer with a bit of a euphoric effect, and pretty sedating. It was often used as a sleep aid before the age of synthetic sleeping pills. You can develop a dependancy to it if you use it too much.

by Anonymousreply 308/29/2011

In high school I was friends with a girl who worked at a pharmacy. She gave me valium 10s and 5s for Christmas! Much later I had great insurance for alcoholism treatment. They gave 10s to prevent DTs and stepped me down through the detox until I was stuck with 2s. After that, the real treatment began. Valium can best be described as "nom nom nom". Very lethargic. Slower thoughts. Perfect for Icanhazcheeseburger or Martha Stewart Living.

by Anonymousreply 408/29/2011

Valium is very

by Anonymousreply 508/29/2011

very

by Anonymousreply 608/29/2011

very

by Anonymousreply 708/29/2011

very

by Anonymousreply 808/29/2011

Valium is NOT synthetic valerian, R3, you idiot. Go back to the dried out old crones at the local root and vitamin store and stop talking about thinks you don't know.

by Anonymousreply 908/29/2011

I took it for an MRI. It works quick and leaves quick, perfect for an MRI.

by Anonymousreply 1008/29/2011

I've only had it in 2mg doses but for me it took away the anxiety but can make you sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 1108/29/2011

Is there a "high" in Valium? I hate it. I've got about 300 pills sitting in my medicine cabinet from various prescriptions over the past couple years, but it makes me feel dizzy and sick. It also makes you constipated. I refuse to take them, even in extreme pain. It just doesn't give me a good feeling, and I think I get nervous also because I know people get addicted to them, maybe that's why I won't take them - like it's psychological or something. Valerian I have taken before. Don't really like that either. It does have a sleep effect though, but it gives you weird dreams and a weird taste in your mouth. I don't think it's the same thing as Valium, or the herbal equivalent. But it doesn't make me feel sick like Valium.

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2011

Is it better than Xanax for anxiety? Xanax makes me a little sleepy, but it doesn't do much for my stressed out mind.

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2011

Xanax never did anything for me. Valium is much better for reducing anxiety

by Anonymousreply 1408/29/2011

OK R9, I oversimplified the point. Valium is not a synthetic replica of the chemical profile of valerian. It is an analog of valerian because it works in a markedly similar fashion by increasing the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid in the brain.

But valerian is a much safer alternative, and it is not nearly as addictive. Some sources claim it is not at all addictive, but I would treat that cautiously.

by Anonymousreply 1508/29/2011

Thanks, R14. I have a dozen Xanax pills left and I don't even want to use them. I'll ask my doc to prescribe Valium for my neverfuckingending anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 1608/29/2011

How much do you take, R15? And what brand do you buy? Does it come in pills?

by Anonymousreply 1708/29/2011

[quote]I oversimplified the point.

R15, dear, getting it flat out wrong is not oversimplifying.

by Anonymousreply 1808/29/2011

I have 3mg of Ativan to take Thursday morning in advance of getting a tooth pulled. Can't wait! Kind of.

by Anonymousreply 1908/29/2011

"I oversimplified the point." On a thread about valium, that comment is the answer to what it is like to take valium.

by Anonymousreply 2008/29/2011

Valium (diazepam) is one of the longer-acting, less specific benzodiazepines, meaning that it is not as selective in action as some of the newer drugs (like Xanax (alprazolam)). A 10 mg dose is generally given for a 24 hour period--this is a mid-range dose. There is debate as to whether the older benzos like valium and librium (chlorodiazeproxide) or the newer ones like Xanax and Klonopin have a higher addictive potential. Valium is more likely to create an experience of euphoria (because it triggers more GABA receptors); however, takers do not keep popping more and more of them because it has such a long half-life. %0D %0D In all, Valium is a great drug for those who need it. I have taken it for a one month period while my dissertation was being reviewed and finished. I had no problems, withdrawal symptoms, etc. Do you have any specific questions about it?

by Anonymousreply 2108/29/2011

Did you take it every day, R21? Was it a 10mg dose?

by Anonymousreply 2208/29/2011

R17, it is commonly available in capsules and as a tincture. I used to take the tincture. Capsules and tincture should be found in any health food store. Capsules are probably all you're likely to find in a drugstore or supermarket. Follow the recommended dose, then adjust as needed.

You might also find the bulk herb (a dried root, really -- before the thread police jump on me for that) or tea versions, but the plant has a powerful odor that most people dislike.

And R18? To say that "Valium is the synthetic form of valerian," is certainly a simplification of "Valium is a synthetic compound that is an analog of valerian." The fact that this allowed the intended meaning to become factually inaccurate is what put the "over" in the "oversimplification."

by Anonymousreply 2308/29/2011

Thanks, R15. I'll look for the capsules. My mom needs something for anxiety as well, and this may be better than going to the doctor for a prescription.

by Anonymousreply 2408/29/2011

Yes, R23. 10 MG/Day *30 Days.

by Anonymousreply 2508/29/2011

Slightly relaxing and pleasant for me, nothing more, similar to xanax, but like most medications I suspect it affects different people quite differently.

by Anonymousreply 2608/29/2011

If youever consider taking Valerian, take a good smel of the pills. That's what you will smell like within 2-3 days of taking it. It might mellow you out but you smell like garbage thats been sitting in full summer sun for a week.%0D %0D %0D Vallium on the otherhand doesn't really make me feel high, it stops the waves of fear that are part of my anxiety. The problems don't go away, but I am able to see that there are answers to my problems and they are with in my grasp.

by Anonymousreply 2708/29/2011

I would be hesitant to take valerian (or other, more commonly recommended herbs like Passion Flower (a mild reversible MAOI), St. John's Wort, etc) without going to at least a naturopath. If your mother is on other drugs, know that interactions between herbs and drugs can be fatal and are most likely most often missed as root causes. For instance, a lot of St. John's Wort with a strong dose of an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or a Tricyclic (especially) can result in serotonin syndrome, which manifests as high blood pressure and temperature, rapid heart beat, and potentially organ failure and death.%0D %0D Be smarter than just taking advice from this board. Educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2808/29/2011

R27, a good workout gives me a 2mg valium buzz. Everything is OK.

by Anonymousreply 2908/29/2011

[quote]take a good smel of the pills. That's what you will smell like within 2-3 days of taking it.

I never noticed that, R27. And friends that would certainly never be shy about telling me never mentioned anything either. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 3008/29/2011

I have taken Valium for anxiety. I usually take 5mg per dose, maybe twice per day. It makes me a bit drowsy and kind of stoned-feeling.

by Anonymousreply 3108/29/2011

R9/18, pop a Valium and relax yourself.

Why would you berate someone for making a mistake, and then kick him down when he essentially concedes his error and tries to save face?

I hope you're not the pharmacology prof. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 3208/29/2011

Valium always made me feel a lot more loopy than Xanax does. Xanax takes the edge off my anxiety but I can still function. %0D %0D Valerian STINKS. I am not kidding, it's putrid-smelling. Like rancid socks, smegma and old vomit. Bf took it for a while and that stench just permeated the place every time he opened the bottle. Not exactly romance-inducing before bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 3308/29/2011

Be sure to check the milligrams.

by Anonymousreply 3408/29/2011

Valerian itself does stink, but it shouldn't necessarily make you stink. Everyone's body is different. Some people are just more prone to having body odor than others.

If you take it on occasion and stay well hydrated (at least 2 liters of water per day), I don't see why you should stink at all.

by Anonymousreply 3508/29/2011

For that one ding-dong who jumped all over the guy who said Valium it is a sythetic form of valerian - grow up. My mom is a chemist and years ago told me that you can get similar results (although to a lesser degree) from valerian root. Just like coca plant was the basis for cocaine deritivite - Valerian root is what they used to purify and distill, and isolate the particular drug down until they had Valium - yes, Valium, a synthetic form - that was hundreds of times stronger than the simple valerian root from what it was ORIGINALLY DERIVED. YOU Do your research before you start jumping all over someone else. Geez people are rude.

by Anonymousreply 3608/29/2011

It's even better with bourbon!

by Anonymousreply 3708/29/2011

anonymous at 9:59 - post%0D Okay, yes valerian root stinks in liquid form (under the tongue) and also in capsule form. Especially if you let the bottle sit for a while before opening it, when you finally crack the lid, this "dirty, sweaty, butt crack smell comes out". You gotta hold your nose to take it and swallow it with JUICE only - no water - no milk, and no soda - the odor makes the taste so foul, juice is the only thing that really washes it down. But once it is down, honey, it is down. YOu said you will smell like old garbage after taking it for a few days and that is ridiculous. If you burp right after taking it you might get that odd slimy "butt" smell in your mouth momentarily and have to swallow more juice - but Valerian cannot and DOES NOT make your teeth/breath/hair/eyes/fingernails/skin, etc., smell. Just exactly what are you saying smells like garbage on you after a few days? That is like saying if you eat bananas for a few days, your skin will start to smell like bananas. Or if you eat steak you will sweat a "meat smell" after six days. WFT? Your urine doesn't smell bad, if you have gas afterwards, it doesn't smell like Valerian - it is digested in full, and that is that. Quit scaring people by making them think they are going to smell like garbage. Millions of people use all natural valerian as an alternative to xanax or valium (which are much more danerous as they are synthetic versions of drugs) - and other than a mildly unpleasant smell/taste as you initially swallow it - that's all you have to worry about. My husband also took it for years with no problems - several other family members, and many friends - and your ANONYMOUS post is the first one I have ever read where someone claimed that a vitamin supplement you could take could make your skin and body and hair smell like six day old piles of garbage. That is just weird. If it were true, no one would buy it and no one would be asking about Valerian root b/c it would've been gone off the market LONG, LONG AGO.

by Anonymousreply 3808/29/2011

What's it like *not* to take Valium?

by Anonymousreply 3908/29/2011

Paragraphs are free, R38.

by Anonymousreply 4008/29/2011

I love R40.

by Anonymousreply 4108/29/2011

[quote]Millions of people use all natural valerian as an alternative to xanax or valium (which are much more danerous as they are synthetic versions of drugs)

If you'd bothered to read the first few posts of this thread, you'd have learned at R3 that Vallium is the synthetic form of Valerian. You don't have to take Valerian and smell like garbage, because in the synthetic version they've gotten the smell out for you. Nothing dangerous about that.

Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 4208/29/2011

Valium does NOT come from Valerian root.

Valium (aka Diazepam) was the second benzodiazepine to be invented by Dr. Leo Sternbach of Hoffmann-La Roche, following chlordiazepoxide (Librium) which was approved for use in 1960. Released in 1963 as an improved version of Librium, diazepam became incredibly popular, helping Roche to become a pharmaceutical industry giant. It is two and a half times more potent than its predecessor, which it quickly surpassed in terms of sales. After this initial success, other pharmaceutical companies began to introduce other benzodiazepine derivatives.

I've been taking Valium for over 40 years (since I was 12) and I love the stuff. It has a long half-life so the withdrawal is much easier. That's why it's the main drug used in detox centers for alcoholics.

I think it's fallen into disfavor because the patent has run out and the doctors can make much more money from their stupid antidepressants (which imo, don't work for many people except as a placebo)

Valium is heaven. Just don't be stupid and take more and more.... 5 mg a day max and you should be fine. And if you don't take it every day, it will continue to maintain its potency over many years. If you take it regularly, it loses its potency, you take more of it, you get addicted, just like alcohol or anything else.

But it's the best diazepine there is, in my book, due to the long half-life and the gentle withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 4308/29/2011

[quote]Valium is the synthetic form of valerian

They had to make a synthetic version because valerian smells like cat piss. The synthetic version is much stronger and won't make you smell like you've been sprayed by a tomcat.

by Anonymousreply 4408/29/2011

I hope the OP did not ask this question for taking Valium for "recreation". These drugs are highly addictive (especially XANAX). The effects will depend on the dosage. I had to go to the ER having a panic attack last year, and they gave me XANAX. I just felt sort of drunk. Got home, sat in a chair, kept falling asleep, jerking awake, walked sort of sideways. Better than a panic attack but not acceptable for going to work. %0D %0D Please don't take crap like this if you don't have to. No such high is worth it. Drink 10 beers and then fall into bed face first and start snoring - that's about the effect of Valium or Xanax at the dosages I was given.

by Anonymousreply 4508/29/2011

[quote]I've got about 300 pills sitting in my medicine cabinet from various prescriptions over the past couple years, but it makes me feel dizzy and sick. It also makes you constipated. I refuse to take them, even in extreme pain. It just doesn't give me a good feeling, and I think I get nervous also because I know people get addicted to them, maybe that's why I won't take them...%0D %0D But make sure you keep filling those prescriptions! %0D %0D I think I want to try Valium, now...and forever. %0D %0D I had xanax when I went into the hospital a few years ago. I think they must have been regularly dosing me for the entire four days I was in there. They sent me home without any xanax. I think I went through withdrawal. The way I described it to the doctor when I called him in a panicked state of mind was that it felt like my bones were vibrating. That shit is not to be messed with.

by Anonymousreply 4608/29/2011

Those Valium you'e got are worth about $1 each.

by Anonymousreply 4708/30/2011

Sedating. No "high."

by Anonymousreply 4808/30/2011

It works quick and leaves quick

by Anonymousreply 4908/30/2011

It works quick and leaves slow. It has the longest half-life of any diazepine, with Klonopin being the second slowest to leave your system.

Xanax and Ativan work extremely quickly and also get out of your body quickly, leading to sudden withdrawal symptoms, if you take it for more than a couple weeks.

by Anonymousreply 5008/30/2011

My granny loved to take pills, but I don't recall her taking Valium. But I watched her take handfuls of Xanax at a time, washing them down with Old Crow. Her staples were Xanax, Vicodin, and Soma.

The pills finally fried her brain about 10 years ago, and she's in a nursing home now. She probably doesn't even know her own name at this point.

by Anonymousreply 5108/30/2011

Valium is very addictive. I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can, movie version:

by Anonymousreply 5208/30/2011

I prefer Ativan. Great drug - I take a small dose - 1m a day - about 4-5 days a week, and it really helps curb my anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 5308/30/2011

I don't know, R52. That's a pretty old movie. I think Valium is one of the easiest to kick - they use it for people kicking nearly everything else, from Ambien to Alcohol to shorter-acting diazepines and even heroine and coke.

You just have to go very slowly and lower your dose 1/4 mg every day (stay there two weeks) then go 1/4 mg down 2 more weeks, etc., till you finally kick it.

I can't think of any other drug used more often for people coming off other addictive substances, and there must be a reason for that. I think it's because it's the gentlest to kick.

Although YES, you can be addicted to it, it can kill you, etc. But compared to meth, heroine, crack, Oxycontin, etc., it's the tamest of the lot. Well, not counting marijuana I guess but do people really even get addicted to that? And I've never heard of it being used to get people off of other substances the way Valium (and sometimes "clonidine") are used by nearly every de-tox place I ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 5409/01/2011

I really have no idea why I kept putting an e on heroin. Wonder if it's the Jack Daniels...

by Anonymousreply 5509/01/2011

I don't know that I agree R54. Benzo addictions are pretty bad. They probably do not hurt as bad as opiate addictions, but they are potentially more likely to result in death if one goes into immediate withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 5609/01/2011

Wow, I didn't know that, OP. I guess I've taken it so long (more than 40 years) and never had a problem. Some people may be more immune to taking more and more of something. However, I have had a binge-drinking problem before, so it's not like I don't have an addiction tendency.

I figured meth or crack might be the worst to try to kick, not any of the benzos. BTW, clonidine is a non-controlled substance that can be used to help get off benzos - and you can buy it from some pretty reputable companies online and probably not get in any trouble. I won't name them but look up Catapres or Clonidine - it's a mild tranquilizer, a blood pressure medicine, sometimes used for ADD, has loads of off-label uses, and it's cheap - like 25 cents a pill. And I've never heard of addiction problems with it but who knows...

by Anonymousreply 5709/02/2011

I noticed about five bottle of them in at my granny's back in the day. I was in high school, wanted to try, so took a few with me. I did take one before the 15 minute ride home. Halfway home I didn't feel anything, so I took another. Opened the front door and banged right into it. I went upstairs and went to sleep. %0D %0D I've never been a pill popper. I have about a hundred Loriapam from my mom right now. Take maybe 3 in a year.

by Anonymousreply 5809/02/2011

Well, that's why it's fairly hard to get addicted to Valium (not that it can't be done, lol.) You take a bit more than usual and you pass out. And there's no hangover - at least not the sick horrible alcohol hangover. You're just foggy for a while.

by Anonymousreply 5909/10/2011

I took .25 Xanax pills at once today. Holy shit. Within five minutes I started yawning. Fortunately, it was 8pm already. It's past midnight and I am just about to fall asleep, but it's been a really woooooo past few hours. No way I could take this during the day.

by Anonymousreply 6009/11/2011

Valium always bums me out, don't know why but then bow an individual reacts to a psychotropic medication is highly individualized. Good reason to have these types of mess Rx'd and monitored by a doc who knows what he or she is doing.

by Anonymousreply 6109/11/2011

This is exactly what I mean by DL's violent misogyny, and if you don't intervene against it, you are acting in favor of it:

"Ann Coulter is responsible for that horrible stench that emanates from her dried up gash wherever she goes."

Your violence against women helps kill queer teens.

Ann Coulter's stupidity has nothing to do with her body parts.

Stop the violence.

Stop the hate.

It's killing us.

by Anonymousreply 6209/11/2011

S'wonderful....S'marvelous.....S'layingdownonthesidewalktotakeanap....

by Anonymousreply 6309/11/2011

R62 is showing what happens when you stop taking your valium.

by Anonymousreply 6409/11/2011

I slept like a log and woke up an hour later than usual. Obviously, Xanax is not for day use for me.

by Anonymousreply 6509/12/2011

A coworker gave me a 10mg Valium once many years ago because I was having a bad headache. Within 30 minutes I was fast asleep in my office and slept for 4 hours. I later found out they got very worried because they couldn't wake me up and were contemplating calling the paramedics around the time I finally roused. But, the headache was gone, I'll give it that.

by Anonymousreply 6609/12/2011

I take Valium when I fly, and feel totally normal and functional, just not a nervous wreck. I also take it before any dental procedure. My dentist is awesome, he knows what it's like to try to work on me without it, and agrees it's much easier for both of us. He prescribes one 5 mg pill before every procedure. My MD will prescribe ten 5 mg pills a year with no questions, and I am sure I could get more if I asked.

by Anonymousreply 6709/12/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!