Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Laci Peterson Case - why did she fall for Scott?

He was so clearly a sleazy, jockish jerk -- I cannot imagine that she had no inkling that he was a sociopath when dating/married. He was so obviously a phony. Did she just turn a blind eye? Was he THAT deceitful that he actually came off as a loving, interesting, normal person? I'm curious as to how these things work -- do you just not realize the person you're married to is clearly a vapid psycho??

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5903/22/2013

I'm guessing Laci was pretty vapid herself. Wasn't she one of those bubbly, talkative types? She probably never paid attention to the warning signs because she was so self-involved. Not saying she deserved to die, but if she had been more aware she might have seen a few red flags.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 108/28/2011

Laci was goal oriented -- she had her little house as soon as she entered college and she needed a guy to make her little nest complete. Scott filled the bill.

He wasn't so bad until she started pressuring him with the baby -- in fact he was extremely passive except when it came to sex. As long as she was available for that, he didn't care much what happened.

He first cheated on her after the wedding when she had graduated college and went north to work while he stayed behind to finish school. She wasn't around, so he found someone who was.

He next cheated on her when she became too pregnant for sex, and it seems he sensed she would not be as available to him after the baby came. And he certainly wasn't going to pay child support for a kid he didn't want and to an ex-wife who no longer slept with him.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 308/28/2011

We wouldn't have civilization if women weren't terminally gullible. I believe it's genetic.%0D %0D All men try to cheat, some succeed. Murderous sociopaths marry women, too.%0D %0D Most relationships consist of: 1) a dreamy-eyed, romantic "enabler" with low self-esteem and; 2) a narcissistic user who sees a victim they can exploit.%0D %0D Over half of marriages end in divorce. Many more should, but the victim/spouse (usually female) is too embarrassed to admit being a fool. So they "try to make it work" (i.e. "What did I do wrong?").

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 408/28/2011

Young men are often (usually?) self-centered & immature, & that's probably all he seemed like from the outside. Young women are used to that kind of behavior from the guys around them -- maybe she had nothing better to compare him to. Her goals in life apparently consisted of becoming a wife & mother like June Cleaver, so she was just looking for a guy with a job who would make a presentable husband.

I have a sister like her, who managed to marry the wrong type twice in a row -- she's intelligent but not perceptive, & still naive. Now she has a daughter who's doing the same thing she did. Fortunately, neither of them has been murdered by a sociopath husband (yet).

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 508/28/2011

I'm a true crime aficionado and from what I read and watch on documentaries, gullibility is not strictly a female characteristic. We hear about it more when the woman is the victim because men tend to be more violent, but there have been plenty of men taken in by "black widows".

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 608/28/2011

She probably dismissed early warning signs. Often men behaving badly is trivialized, enabled, and dismissed by pretty much everyone as we all know by reading this board. The most horrendous male behavior is excused. Even in this case, some of the more aberrant posters blame Laci for Scott's homicidal behavior.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 708/28/2011

"We hear about it more when the woman is the victim because men tend to be more violent, but there have been plenty of men taken in by "black widows".

Or in the case of old men marrying decades younger women. When the shit hits the fan, the old men seem to be shocked and shattered that their daughter/granddaughter-wives didn't love them, don't really care for them and actually loathe them, and can't wait to get the fuck away from them.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 808/28/2011

True, R8. The law firm where I work, which specializes in estate litigation, got involved in a case where a lonely old man (in his 80's, never married) got involved with a gypsy woman who poisoned him. He met her at McDonald's. We represented his brother, who was the executor of his estate. and got her to give back most of the money she stole. I'm not sure what happened with the criminal side of the case, though; we weren't involved in that.

Just last night, I was watching Paula Zahn's show which featured a 70-year-old widower who got involved with a much younger waitress and married her. She manipulated her lesbian friend into shooting him.

Really, men are just as gullible, especially older, lonely men.

I always hated Paula Zahn on CNN but I do like her crime show.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 908/28/2011

Laci fell for Scott because he was hot. Plain and simple. And as for black widows, we can never forget Debbie Jellinsky and her crime spree.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1008/28/2011

I was surprised when I read that even Hugh Hefner was paying that woman he was scheduled to marry though she refused to sleep with him. Even he was so desperate for company that he would pay a young girl who not only refused to sleep with him but told him kissing was repulsive to her. He begged her to marry him even after that revelation on her part.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1108/28/2011

[quote] Wasn't she one of those bubbly, talkative types?

I remember watching home videos of her in high school during the case and she was very annoying. She was hyper and was giggling and shrieking. She seemed sweet but she would drive me crazy.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1208/28/2011

He was handsome, charming, who wouldn't fall for him?

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1408/28/2011

these guys pick these women very well: she was kind of cute, but short and dumpy. He got her knocked up then would go on "work" assignments in other parts of the state. Then, he started fucking that Amber (?) chick - and told her the most outrageous lies - and she believed him...calling from Paris on NYE - when he was at home...never revealing too much of himself - these women are so desperate to be with a man - they overlook every warning sign

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1508/28/2011

Some women are simply unable to imagine that they could ever fall for a sleazebag, a user, an addict, a psycho. Some choose men like this over and over again - and some have married, divorced and then RE-married them!%0D %0D A dear friend whom I consider to be otherwise bright, capable and accomplished has had 2 abusive marriages. After telling me she was finally happy to be on her own, she started "seeing" her next door neighbor, a loner-type, multiple-divorced alcoholic. When she told me about him (all happy and thrilled because he loves her dogs and "tells corny jokes like my dad") I said: "So now you're sleeping with the drunk hermit next door?"%0D %0D Some women just do not learn from experience. I am not saying Laci had previous experience with guys like Scott, but she obviously refused to consider that he might not be all he appeared to be.%0D %0D

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1608/28/2011

R14, he was not handsome nor was he charming -- he was like the white-cap jerk from high school who'd jeer at the artsy kids. Plus he had carb face.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1708/28/2011

He looked like a big, dumb jock to me.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1808/28/2011

big cock?

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 1908/28/2011

Didn't she threaten to beat up other women who looked at Scott. Maybe it was a case of two sociopaths/mentally damaged people being attracted like magnets. I'm not saying Laci deserved what she got but when I heard that she would go to the bathroom window to chat with him while he took a dump, I said "Something wasn't right with her."

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2008/28/2011

She didn't threaten to beat up anyone that I know of based on the case ... she just seemed like a perky, Martha Stewart type who wanted the "dream". I do think she walked in on him with another woman though and stuck with him despite it.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2108/28/2011

Initially Scott was wonderful to Laci. wined and dined her bought her anything she wanted, but then he became dissalusioned with her and when the pregnancy came about he freaked! He is also a cold blooded sociopath as well. Read "inside the mind of scott peterson" by Keith Ablow. He tells about how scott's parents,especially his mom created the monster

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2208/28/2011

So if it's not Laci's fault then it must be his mother's fault he turned out an ass???

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2308/28/2011

"He tells about how scott's parents,especially his mom created the monster"

Of course. It just HAD to be the mother.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2408/28/2011

For perhaps many years, Laci and Scott lived in parallel universes. For some reason, he just went along not obejecting to being married even though he clearly didn't need to be or have much interest. And she just wanted to be married and have a baby. She wasn't paying attention to the fact that her husband didn't want it and wanted out. But he was too embarrassed to just walk away or divorce her.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2508/28/2011

r24 scott's mother had a very traumatic childhood and is also a sociopath! she showed no empathy towards scott and did not allow him to show any emotion. That is why scott talks so softly

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2608/28/2011

He was hot. He was charming. He had sex appeal. And he had the potential to be a good earner.

The superfecta for all women, everywhere.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2708/28/2011

I think Scott was quite handsome.

Laci was pretty, but a ditz who just wanted to be a housemommy and didn't care about having an interested partner. As long as hubby gave her some money and knocked her up, it didn't matter what a dick he was.

She didn't deserve what happened to her, obviously, but she also shouldn't have gotten herself in that situation.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 2808/28/2011

It's not just straight people, of course. I've known countless gay men and lesbians who fell head over heels in love with a jerk/loser, liar, cheater, asshole, etc., with obvious mental health issues.

I don't think any of them have been murdered yet, but some had that potential. And in every case, when friends tried to dissuade the gullible one or provide information about the cheater's behavior, the apparent victim refused to listen, often ending the friendship.

My longtime best friend is currently not speaking to me, because when he got back (3rd or 4th time) with the user thief who always takes his money, but disappears when my friend needs any kind of emotional support or anything beyond sex, I reminded my friend that based on what he had told me about the guy, I hate him and can't possibly have respect for anyone who would sleep with him and give him money.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3008/28/2011

I don't know how anyone could use any term but monster to describe ths guy. Laci was decapitated, her left leg was cut off below the knee, her right foot was cut off, and both her forearms were cut off. The baby came out of her body because she was gutted and when her uterus started to decompose, the baby came out (not by spontaneous abortion as some thought). This was this man's son.%0D %0D He's a fucking animal. No, even that's an insult to animals.%0D %0D It makes me sick to read you guys describe him as "hot". Some of you need professional help.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3108/28/2011

No R31 -- she fell apart in the water, because of the fish

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3208/28/2011

It was the cock plain and simple. I am sorry if that offends you but peoe gay and straight make a lot of crazy decisions because of hot cock.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3308/28/2011

R31, he WAS a good-looking guy. That has nothing to do with his actions. %0D %0D "Why did she fall for Scott?"%0D %0D Because he was handsome.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3408/28/2011

First of all his mother had her own problems and never held Scott accountable for anything he did wrong as a child. Appearances were everything to Scott, maintaining his image as loving husband for his family and friends. He'd rather have her just disappear and get sympathy than be that jerk who dumped his pregnant wife.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3508/28/2011

Scott wasn't particularly handsome. He was okay in a bland sort of way. Laci wanted a husband and baby. She interpreted Scott's occasional interest as a lifelong commitment.%0D %0D He was drifting throughout the marraige. She just didn't notice because she wanted a baby and a traditional marriage. Scott on the other hand was only interested in the facade of a marriage. He actually wanted no part of it. Laci failed to see the red flags.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3608/28/2011

R35, he also didn't want to be tied to child support payments for a minimum of 18 years. He told Amber in one of the phone calls that she taped for the cops that he yearned to be carefree without responsibilities, like the guys in "On The Road".

Calif's divorce laws are "no fault", so he could divorce his wife just by asking the Court, even if she didn't agree. But he couldn't avoid a legal obligation to contribute to the child's support until adulthood.

I'm convinced that the murder was directed more toward the fetus than it was toward the wife. Disgusting monster.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3708/28/2011

California = He didn't want to give Laci 50% of their money. She also supported his ass during school.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3808/28/2011

I can't feel sympathy for a man who voluntarily got married even though he had no interest in doing so. He voluntarily had a child even though he had no interest in having children. I can't see why his decisions were 100% his own doing.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 3908/28/2011

that should be "weren't".

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4008/28/2011

R38, they didn't really have much that would have been subject to division as community property -- not a lot of equity in their house, no big savings accounts. I'm sure he was too selfish to want to share with his wife, but divorce wouldn't really have cost him anything substantial. Becoming a father would, though.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4108/28/2011

Did Scott come from money, or did Laci?

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4208/28/2011

Were there other women besides Amber who came forward during the trial to state they'd had affairs with Scott during his marriage?

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4308/28/2011

Look at how many killers have friends and acquaintances who say "but he was the nicest guy!"

Sociopaths know how to hide it.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4408/28/2011

Neither, R42. Both just middle class -- I think his parents may have had more than hers (though probably not anymore, since they paid for his defense).

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4508/28/2011

[quote]It was the cock plain and simple. I am sorry if that offends you but peoe gay and straight make a lot of crazy decisions because of hot cock.%0D %0D WRONG. Women could gives a rats ass about cock size, as long as it isn't miniscule.Having a lifestyle that emulates her peers is much more important.%0D %0D

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4608/28/2011

I know quite a few women who are involved with abusive jerks. Their rationale is literally "I love him, therefore deep down he's a good guy." It's kind of an ego thing, really, and they will absolutely refuse to see anything that proves otherwise. It's not hard to make a fool out of someone who already is one.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4708/28/2011

What R46 said -- remember one of the key prosecution points on whether or not Scott lied about the last time he saw Laci alive centered on an episode of Martha Stewart, a show that she watched religiously, and what was on that said episode.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4808/28/2011

Nah, I'll take the cock, r46.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 4908/28/2011

"Initially Scott was wonderful to Laci. wined and dined her bought her anything she wanted..."%0D %0D Honey, that's what socios DO. Once they have their victim enwebbed they can focus on other pursuits.%0D %0D Read a definition of 'co-dependent' to find out if you're a victim. I was.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5008/28/2011

How old was Laci when she met Scott? Nineteen, twenty tops? I doubt she had much experience with men, let alone dealing with sociopaths. From all accounts her parents were relatively normal, decent people who just happened to have been divorced. She had no reference points or experiences to judge Scott's behavior other than he fit the "romantic ideal" that tends to get shoved down young girls throats and which they eventually seek and pine for. She can't be blamed for her naivete. Did it ever come out that either her family or friends saw red flags and warned her about it? I don't remember anything like this. Unfortunately, she was esconsed in an enviornment that bred her blindness to Scott's sociopathy.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5108/28/2011

Sociopaths always lie, always hide what they really are.%0D %0D It's fairly easy for a sociopath to pass as an ordinary, young, thoughless, selfish, image-driven straight man. Nobody expects frat-boy types to express a lot of empathy or concern for others, so it would have been particularly easy for Laci to miss the danger signs, to tell herself that his total indifference just meant he didn't know how to express his feelings.%0D %0D

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5208/28/2011

All women are naive and gullible about men? I beg to differ! We know exactly how you are.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5308/28/2011

"Nobody expects frat-boy types to express a lot of empathy or concern for others".

I agree. And it's pretty indicative for our failure as a society that we don't expect them to do that.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5408/28/2011

Agreed, R54.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5508/29/2011

bumppppp

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5603/22/2013

Why the hell did you bump this, r56? You should have started a thread on the California chef who killed and cooked his wife in his restaurant. He was just sentenced forf murder this week.

They say he cooked his wife for several days and washed much of her body down the grease trap. OMG.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5703/22/2013

[46] As a straight woman I am qualifies to tell you that you've been taken in by that old tale that women say to make men feel better about themselves. I am certainly not saying that the majority of females are size queens(although many are)but we are extremely visually turned on by a nice girthy cock with decent length. I have experienced both "boy sized" and porn star sized dicks, and the ones which have no girth are useless. Short, but fat is acceptable, but a thin one is a no go item.

And as far as the old chestnut "it;s not the size, it's how you use it" is right up there with "she has a GREAT personality". I have stayed with a man far longer than I should have because of an outstanding peen.

And remember, our "areas" can accommodate almost any size, since were desingned to birth a big headed baby. Yuck.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5803/22/2013

Like a fool I read this thread because I like true crime.

Fuck - even the most thoughtful posts seem to suggest that because he was marginally good looking she trapped him into marrying her and getting pregnant and then Laci was so frauish and cock hungry and dependent that she missed the warning signs that her HUSBAND was a psychopathic murderer who would kill her and his own unborn baby because she talked too much and he was a bad egg with seeds to sow?

Are you fucking kidding me.

I am a handsome guy, with a big dick. What in the fuck are y'all talking about. He is a murderer but he is cute? She loved his cock so she wasn't smart enough to plan on being murdered? They were married and he was confined to a talkative woman so it is too bad but he killed her? He is a sociopath but he has nice eyes? The Manson girls were more objective than most of you.

Eminem got it right. Bonnie and Clyde. Mama's in the trunk cuz she talked too loud.

Sure nuff a strange bunch out here.

by I would hope I''d notice...something...reply 5903/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.