Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone try Omega 3 fish oil to treat depression? Did it help?

I've been on it for a few months and feel a bit better. Anyone want to share your experiences?

by Anonymousreply 6208/18/2013

I am on Lovaza at 4 grams per day for my heart health. I have been taking it for a couple of years. No changes in my mood. It didn't make me any more relaxed or happier.

by Anonymousreply 108/26/2011

My doctor recommended it for cholesterol, blood pressure, and mood regulation.%0D %0D It seems to have helped with the cholesterol level.

by Anonymousreply 208/26/2011

By the way, Lovaza is prescription Omega 3 fish oil.

by Anonymousreply 308/26/2011

It gave me fish breath.

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2011

No, r4. You already had that....

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2011

My doc says flax seed oil has a similar benefit. I started taking it a month ago, and have noticed some minor mood elevation (I think.)

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2011

I haven't - but if you do, make sure you have a very good brand of fish oil. The VAST majority of fish oils on the market do not contain enough fatty acids to make any difference.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2011

That's why you need to get prescription Omega 3 oil pills.

by Anonymousreply 808/27/2011

Flax seed oil does not have quite the same effect as fish oil, but I can't stand the fish burps. Right now I'm taking Mega-Red Krill Oil, and I have NO idea whether that's doing any good at all. But it's pleasantly cinnamon-flavored.

by Anonymousreply 908/27/2011

r7, what's a good brand?

by Anonymousreply 1008/27/2011

Vitamin D is supposed to help also.

by Anonymousreply 1108/27/2011

I took both flax and fish oil. I found after a few weeks I began to shed hair like crazy. When shampooing, my hands would be full of hair. I stopped taking both oils and the shedding ceased. It was very strange.

by Anonymousreply 1208/27/2011

r10, Solgar is quite good - they are labelled as Omega 3 or EPA/GLA (not fish oil). There are few other brands which I cannot remember (often they sell the oil in bottles rather than capsules).

by Anonymousreply 1308/27/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 1408/27/2011

Yes on Vitamin D. Most people have levels that are too low, and getting them back up really does improve mood. On doc's advice I took 5,000 mg a day for about 6 weeks and felt much better.

by Anonymousreply 1508/27/2011

I have been taking Omega-3 fish oil supplements (vegepa) for what was severe depression for about 2 years now. I can say that since taking them my mood is definitely more stable and I feel generally more upbeat.

by Anonymousreply 1609/01/2011

These youtube videos are pretty useful in detailing how making small changes to your diet and having a regular intake of omega-3 fish oils can help you beat your depression; just search "Igennus - Beating Depression: Part 1" and "Igennus - Beating Depression: Part 2"

by Anonymousreply 1709/01/2011

I have been taking those giant fish oil capsules for about a month now.

I do feel better, for the most part.

However, the heartburn I get from them has been pretty intense. Yesterday at work, I seriously thought I was dying until I went to the bathroom with some seltzer water and burped for a good 15 minutes.

Pleasant, I know.

by Anonymousreply 1809/01/2011

Make sure to cut out sugar too.

Sugar makes many people depressed.

by Anonymousreply 1909/01/2011

It helps for my anxiety. My understanding is that it basically lubricates the nerves to make all operations smoother in the central nervous system. I've noticed it's helped my higher cognitive functioning even.

by Anonymousreply 2009/01/2011

How the fuck is Omega e fish oil supposed to treat depression?%0D %0D Christ some of you people are fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 2109/01/2011

Why, R21, some people's nerves just need a good a lube job, can't you read?!

Haw!

by Anonymousreply 2209/01/2011

The NIH warns that it could actually increase the symptoms of depression.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2011

Link please, R23?

by Anonymousreply 2409/01/2011

I helps my skin look smooth & youthful, but it's not a DRUG, OP, you imbecile. Why do you expect it to act like one?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2509/01/2011

I've been taking Life Extension Super Omega EPA/DHA fish oil for two years. It has improved my cholesteral but not my mood and anxiety. I take Zoloft for that.

by Anonymousreply 2609/01/2011

Don't take too much!

by Anonymousreply 2709/01/2011

NIH says --

Bipolar disorder: Taking fish oil might increase some of the symptoms of this condition.

Depression: Taking fish oil might increase some of the symptoms of this condition.

Diabetes: There is some concern that taking high doses of fish oil might make the control of blood sugar more difficult.

by Anonymousreply 2809/01/2011

R25 what exactly do you think a drug is?

by Anonymousreply 2909/01/2011

[R21] - An important component of the phospholipid layer of cell membranes, fatty acids (found in fish oils) are vital for effective cell communication and healthy brain function. Diet is of paramount concern here: saturated and trans fatty acids (bad fats) are used by the body in the same way as unsaturated fatty acids. Shortages of the highly unsaturated fatty acids force the body to replace these flexible good fats in the brain with rigid bad fats, which harden the phospholipid layer and slow the transmission of electrical signals. This harmful process can, over time, lead to an imbalance of the levels of the mood-enhancing neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.

by Anonymousreply 3009/01/2011

R29: A drug is a chemical specifically made to combat symptoms of _____________. A nutritional supplement is something that "may help" with ____________ based on anecdotal evidence, sometimes scientific evidence. Usually you have to mega dose or take over a long period to see an effect.%0D %0D Summary: Do not expect instant relief from Omega 3 nutritional supplements. Do not expect ANY relief or improvement. May happen/may not.

by Anonymousreply 3109/01/2011

You definition is a little off, R31, as is your "summary."

But even so, your backpedaling is notable.

by Anonymousreply 3209/01/2011

Some people claim it helps, but studies show it doesn't. Either way, it can't hurt to try it as fish oil is good for you.%0D %0D But don't expect any miracles.

by Anonymousreply 3309/01/2011

I TRIED IT AND NOW I'M ALL FUCKED UP!!!!!!%0D %0D YEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

by Anonymousreply 3409/01/2011

My partner takes it but I don't see any difference at all. He is still a sour puss.

by Anonymousreply 3509/01/2011

You have make you sure you take enough to match your body size and also make sure that it's got both EPA and DHA if you want to use fish oil for treating depression.

It worked well for my depression, just as well as the Zoloft I was once on.

It didn't do shit for my keratosis pilaris though!

by Anonymousreply 3609/01/2011

Keratosis pilaris is a vitamin a deficiency. The reason it has been linked to fish oils is that cod liver oil contains high amounts of Vit A. You need a supplement containing the animal form though not betacarotene

by Anonymousreply 3709/01/2011

I don't get gas or heartburn or any of those symptoms, but I do feel oilier.

by Anonymousreply 3809/01/2011

Military suicides linked to low Omega-3 levels

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2011

I have keratosis pilaris too. I have had multiple doctors say there's not much I can do about it except to avoid certain things to make it worse. Never heard of the Vitamin A deficiency angle. If it works, I'll be popping a few of them daily.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2011

Do a Google search for Dr. Stoll, MD of Harvard. One of the first to publish the possible mental benefits. Of note, he had patients take 10 grams per day (i.e. a LOT); he has later said 1-3 grams is likely adequate, AND...we are all bio-chem different. So, some may need more, others less. Additionally, seek a product with a much higher ratio of EPA to DHA, as EPA is the Omega 3 that is commonly lacking in our bodies. Anecdotally, I've been taking the high quality EPA rich fish oil, approx 2.5 grams per day, for two weeks and my anxiety is noticably less. I haven't seen any miracle skin effects, though ;) Just some 411...personally, I think diet and nutrition are crucial.

by Anonymousreply 4111/05/2011

Have your testosterone level checked. Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 4211/05/2011

St. Johns Wort has been used for a long time in treating depression. Chances are it's as effective as Omega 3.

by Anonymousreply 4311/05/2011

flax seed oil is great for the skin. if it is looking too red and blotchy from caffeine, spicy foods, etc - flax seed oil will calm it

by Anonymousreply 4411/05/2011

I've been taking Omega 3, along with Vitamin D for over a month now, and my mood has not improved at all.

I think all of this crap about vitamins helping depression is a joke. Vitamins are obviously good for the body, but mental benefits? Don't think so. I'm going back on my antidepressants.

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

Of all people to be calling anyone else stupid, PPSM has to be the worst.

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

I tried seal oil. It helped a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

I make poopies like a halibut!!

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

The oil from the ass crack of the obese cures athlete's foot!

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2013

I have ongoing muscle aches and find that if I don't take my fish oil supplements, it hurts worse. The fish oil acts like an anti-inflammatory.

I was like others who said they didn't feel anything but I recently watched an informative program on PBS by a nutrition expert. First of all, most vitamins that you buy usually have only 300 mg of fish oil per capsule and it's misleading when it says 1000 mg. The rest are fillers so you have to read the label. It should also be enteric-coated to prevent the fish oil burping and it is digested better. Then, it should be free of mercury, etc. So it's better to buy high quality fish oil supplements from a reputable company

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

I lick oily peoples faces.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

[quote] It gave me fish breath.

You don't swallow them, silly!

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2013

I took that stuff, baby, and now

Well, my hands are shaky and my knees are weak I can't seem to stand on my own two feet My tongue gets tied when I try to speak My insides shake like a leaf on a tree

I'm ALL SHOOK UP

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

I was surprised when I began using fish oil and my knees stopped hurting. I use krill oil now, a product and company I researched well; I also take vitamin D every day. I haven't been depressed in a couple of years but there's no way to be sure about cause and effect.

by Anonymousreply 5402/23/2013

I take fish oil and vitamin d daily. So far so good.

by Anonymousreply 5502/23/2013

I used to take it in conjunction with Zoloft, and I found it boosted the effects of the AD. However, I've also taken it when off of AD's and it didn't seem to do much on its own.

Also, when I took it with the Zoloft, I was A.) taking about 4-6 grams a day, which is a lot, and B.) using a pharmaceutical grade brand from a health food store, which is important if you're going to take a lot of it. Otherwise, the mercury, etc., that's in the cheap brands, blah, blah, blah . . .

I now take about 2400 mg a day along with a mood stabilizer, an antianxiolytic, and a stimulant. Not sure if it's helping much in the brain department, but it has a lot of other benefits, so I'm going to keep taking it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5602/23/2013

When I get depressed I eat chocolate ice cream and pizza.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

Omega 3 might help but n-acetylcysteine seems to have an even better A/D record. Curcuma Longa together with pepper might also help. There are a lot of peer-reviewed scientific articles that have been published for both these substances. Well at least for me n-acetylcysteine (NAC) has been really helpful. Check the Google Scholar search engine for both supplements!

by Anonymousreply 5808/18/2013

Anyone concerned about the report that omega-3 supplements increase your likelihood of prostate cancer?

by Anonymousreply 5908/18/2013

In April I decided to stop taking Citalopram (Celexa/Cipramil) which I had been on for 7 years for depression because the lack of motivation inside me was bugging me hard. I had read Stephen Ilardi's book "The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs", and wanted to try it out.

Omega 3 oils are part of Ilardi's cure, alongside excercise and sun/bright light therapy. Other parts are being aware of your thoughts (i.e. not mulling negative thoughts over and over), sleeping well and having good friends or other social network.

I'm a vegetarian so I buy Opti3-pills (which cost me about 50 euros a month at the current dosage, which gives me about 600-800 mg of EPA and about 1200 mg of DHA), and I'm not super sure how well they help, but I think they do. I ran out of them for a week some time ago and I did feel my mood changing for a worse pretty soon. But I can't be completely sure of their effect, since I've been having mood changes a lot partly because of coffee (which I always stop drinking but come back to it after a few weeks to get some kick), partly because of not getting enough sun, and partly because I'm exercising maybe a bit too much since I've started to lift weights and it can be very tiring to your body which also affects your mood. I'm also not content at all with my life situation at the moment, and feel a bit like an animal trapped in a cage.

So it takes some trying out to find the balance and I haven't found it yet. I'm not even sure about the dosage of Omega3, but I really don't have money to eat it more, so I just have to try to cope with the current amount.

It seems that Omega3 oils are seen to be very beneficial to the brains and to the body, even if they don't necessarily cure the depression, at least not on their own. I do feel that they are more than placebo, though. I mean I do feel like I'm healing, but I'm just not there yet.

by Anonymousreply 6008/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.