Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why does "The Outback Steakhouse" pretend to be Australian?

It has nothing to do with Australia.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1906/15/2013

For the same reason they pretend to serve food.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 108/25/2011

If Olive Garden can pretend to be Italian...

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 208/25/2011

Why not? It's a decor/gimmick thing.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 308/25/2011

Didn't it start out during the whole Crocodile Dundee period when Aussie was in?

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 408/25/2011

it's called branding, OP. Long John Silver's has nothing to do with Pirate's either.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 508/25/2011

My former boss was Australian. After his wife gave birth, they decided to move back to Melbourne. I told him that to prevent the culture shock of re-entry into that society, I would warm him up for it with a lunch featuring traditional Aussie Cuisine. So I took him to an Outback Steakhouse.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 608/26/2011

Kentucky Fried Chicken is not made in Kentucky. Except at those locations in Kentucky.

Weinerschnitzel is another lying whore.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 708/26/2011

Does Der Weinerschnitzel even exist anymore? They've all disappeared from northern California. Just thinking about those dogs makes me hungry.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 808/26/2011

[quote] Does Der Weinerschnitzel even exist anymore? They've all disappeared from northern California. Just thinking about those dogs makes me hungry.

They do. At least in So Cal.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 908/26/2011

OP, are you sure? All this time I thought the Seekers were butchering the cow carcasses while Yvonne Goolagong and Olivia Newton-John were grilling the tenderloins!

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1008/26/2011

Thanks, r9. Guess I'll be driving over to the East Bay for a chili cheese dog. BTW, I didn't realize that DW is mostly a CA chain; I thought it was national or even multi-national.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1108/26/2011

Speaking of Aussie branding does anyone else remember when Olivia Newton-John had a chain of boutiques called Koala Blue? One opened in the mall across from where I worked in Chevy Chase, MD back in 1991 and I saw ONJ there in person at the opening during my lunch break. I got the feeling it was girly kids clothes so I never went inside. There was also an Aussie import store in downtown DC around the same time.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1208/26/2011

I thought it was funny when they used Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords) for the ads. They didn't give a shit and figured Americans wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an Aussie and a Kiwi.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1308/26/2011

sea cockroaches

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1408/26/2011

Australian branding is the white man's code for "we won't seat you next to black people."

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1508/26/2011

It's more Australian than Taco Bell is Mexican or PF Chang's is Chinese, that's for sure.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1608/26/2011

I don't really thank God it's friday.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1708/26/2011

How are their sales?

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1806/15/2013

[quote]Does Der Weinerschnitzel even exist anymore? They've all disappeared from northern California. Just thinking about those dogs makes me hungry.

I drive by one every day to work here in Austin.

I think I've eaten there a couple of times, but not in the last five years or so.

by Vegemite Sandwichreply 1906/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.