Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has anyone else read Keith Richards'' autobiography?

I'm really enjoying and I think I sort of love him. Any other fans?

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2013

Say more about it, OP. I am not really into the Stones so I hadn't picked it up. Does it have good gossip? Anything gay?

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2011

Mick and Bowie is coming up. The drug scenes are pretty harrowing. Apparently the only person Keith turned onto heroin was John Phillips and he was addicted and selling it within a week.

There are a few other gay musicians, lots of sidemen but I had no idea who they were, sorry. Keith was sympathetic but still calls people poofters. He does admit to some homosex when he was a kid himself but it wasn't really his thing.

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2011

I liked his admission that at first the Stones weren't very anti-establishment but they were dirt poor, liked black music and just couldn't groom themselves as well as other musicians of the day. Since the Beatles were thought of as clean cut, one of the Stones mgrs. postitioned them as rebels.

Later Keith figures out what dicks politicians, cops are and how much of their power is just an illusion. He really sets a great mood of the 60s and 70s you can feel and his slang and attitude are pretty funny

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2011

I enjoyed it a lot. I think Keith survived his addictions because he's essentially a happy and grounded person.

The relationship with Mick is very interesting - definite sexual undertones and quite a bit of mutual jealousy there.

OP, if you haven't read Marianne Faithfull's book yet, I highly recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2011

I understand the book physically has a crotchety flap, a junkie belly band, a curved spine and prematurely wrinkled pages.

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2011

The best parts are where he talks about the songwriting process. I wish he'd spent more time on that.

I wasn't amused by his anecdote of pulling a knife on Billy Preston for playing too loudly during a show. Preston, who Richards reveals was gay, doesn't come across as the sort one would have to get rough with. Richards' attempt to play the tough guy seemed unconvincing and dickish to me.

I love the Stones' music, at least through the Mick Taylor era, but I got bored with the book. There are only so many ways to describe getting high and fucking groupies. I had the same problem with Robert Greenfield's book about the '72 tour. Ian Hunter's Diary of a Rock Star was much more engaging. Life on tour, as shown in Cocksucker Blues, is really pretty dull.

Good thing there's the music.

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2011

He's no Janie Lane.

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2011

No, but on a recent trip to San Francisco, my friends and I listened to the audio book. FUCKING HILARIOUS! Joe Hurley is a terrible choice. He's such a bad reader, all his nuances were in the wrong places, etc. It was part of the hilarity, as we couldn't stop imitating him!

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2011

Thanks, r6, about your remarks about wanting to read more about the Jagger & Richards songwriting process.%0D %0D To me, anyway, they are the best mainstream rock & roll songwriters. "Sympathy for the Devil" stands alone as a rock masterpiece.%0D %0D I like the Beatles for pure pop. "Penny Lane" is the best pop song ever recorded. But the Rolling Stones, just for pure, raw, down and dirty mainstream rock and roll,rule.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2011

It's ok. Ozzy Osbourne's book is funnier.

by Anonymousreply 1008/25/2011

In "Shine a Light", the 2008 Martin Scorsese "Stones" film, Richards comes across as very likable. I enjoyed seeing him on "Top Gear" a while back also.

by Anonymousreply 1108/25/2011

I read some of his book. He's just another asshole rock star.%0D %0D The death of his son Tara is a disturbing mystery. %0D %0D Here's what happened. By this time he and Anita Pallenberg were both hardcore drug addicts. Pallenberg had recently had a baby, who they called Tara. Was he damaged by his mother's drug use? It would seem likely. Anyway, Keith takes his seven year old son Marlon with him on tour and leaves the infant Tara alone with his junkie mother. Why did Richards take Marlon on tour with him as a "road companion?" Just what a seven year old needs, to be carted around the country with his junkie father. I tend to think that he took Marlon with him to PROTECT him; he'd bonded with Marlon, but not Tara. %0D %0D He was on tour when he was notified that his infant son Tara was dead. Did he rush home to comfort his wife and say goodbye to his son? Hell, no! He continued on with the tour! And let Pallenberg deal with it on her own! Contrast Richard's behavior with Robert Plant's; when Plant's son died suddenly and unexpectedly the tour he was on was cancelled and Plant rushed back home.%0D %0D When Richards finally came back it was like Tara had never existed. Richards claims that he doesn't know if there was a funeral, doesn't know if his son was buried or cremated. Pallenberg was to have taken care of all that. And he never asked about it, never bothered to find out what actually happened. He said that to this day he and Pallenberg have never talked about their son's death. How truly bizarre and disturbing is that? Why was Tara Richards disposed of so quickly and anonymously? Was there foul play involved in his death? Did his junkie mother kill him, either accidentally or in a drug-fueled rage (she would go into rages if her drugs were not delivered promptly)? Supposedly he died of a "virus", but there was no autopsy to confirm that. At any rate, poor Tara Richards must not have been very important to either parent. There was never even a memorial service for him. It just seems to me that the death of that infant was very suspicious and the behavior of his parents very odd and secretive.

by Anonymousreply 1208/25/2011

Keith is no Brandon Flowers!

by Anonymousreply 1308/25/2011

R12, thank you for bringing up that episode. I'd forgotten his creepy detachment regarding his sons' death. It's shocking when you think about it, but while reading the book it just blended in with his general amorality.

The more I read about these people the more obvious it seems that you have to be at least a borderline sociopath to get to the top and stay there. There are exceptions, but celebrities in general are such broken individuals you'd have to be insane to take them seriously about anything except the art they produce.

by Anonymousreply 1408/25/2011

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A rough life at times on the sex drugs R & R circut of huge fame- emphasis on drugs and music. I admire his single minded devotion to the music and finding his bliss in it. He is the real deal and I think that has been the secret to his survival, along with Patti Hanson.%0D %0D Honest, and very interesting book. He often steps aside and lets others describe incidents or happenings, even if their take is different from his. %0D %0D Recommend it highly (no pun).

by Anonymousreply 1508/25/2011

I enjoyed it too. Although agree withr12 that incident with his infant son was very strange.

by Anonymousreply 1608/25/2011

"Preston, who Richards reveals was gay"%0D %0D Um, no. Everyone already knows that.

by Anonymousreply 1708/25/2011

r12 I'm not defending Richards but I think he had other priorities at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1808/25/2011

I don't remember anything significant in the book about Mick and David Bowie, nor anything about Richards fooling around with other men in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 1908/25/2011

Agree with R19 that I don't remember any references to homo action at all from Keith.

by Anonymousreply 2008/25/2011

So glad I found this thread. I'm at home sick and this is just the book I need to get to while away the hours.

by Anonymousreply 2108/25/2011

You're right, it was Steven Tyler who had the homosex. I've been reading them back to back.

by Anonymousreply 2208/26/2011

I listened to it and loved it. Johnny Depp did an amazing job narrating part of it. It felt like he was sitting across the room from me telling me a story.

I particularly liked his descriptions of how they wrote songs and how the tuning of his guitars changed as he grew as a musician.

Excellent book.

by Anonymousreply 2308/26/2011

Mike Huckabee is a big Keith Richards fan. Who'd athunk? Music can be a great equalizer.

by Anonymousreply 2408/26/2011

agree stuff abut tara was very weird. Can't understand why marlon was left with his psycho mother but angie went to sane granny. Any social worker who thinks kids should be left ith hopeless junkie parents should be made to read the relevant chapters. if 2 junkies in question have shed loads of money but kid still lives in squalor & doesn't go to school what hope is there for kids of penniless junkies?

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2011

The best way to read "Life" is on audio with Keith, Johnny Deep and an assortment of pals doing the vocals. Just brilliant. Must listen to it again. Amazing man.

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!