Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paul Rudd

How much longer will he be allowed to make these shitty comedies?

by Anonymousreply 4603/25/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2011

He is inexplicably loved in some quarters of DL, years after he's lost his looks, sex appeal, and ability to choose a script. Guess that's the audience for his movies.

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2011

I think he is adorable

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2011

I think he's horrendous. He represents everything stagnant and banal about American "cinema" today. He looks boring, chooses boring films, and has the charisma of cold pablum.

Where are the Nicholsons, Pacinos, DeNiros, Beattys, Dunaways, Ramplings, Redgraves, and Taylors of this generation? Actors who are striking, unusual, exciting, sensual, daring in their roles, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2011

He seems to have morphed from the intelligent gay man that dis Shakespear at Lincoln center to the straight married dude who plays video games all day. I met him recently, and a actually thought the pod people must have got him because he was nothing like the guy I knew in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2011

He's adorable in "Elmo's Being Green" :)

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2011

"How much longer will he be allowed to make these shitty comedies?"%0D %0D As long as enough of them make money to keep him afloat.

by Anonymousreply 708/25/2011

Sorry for the typos. *did* Shakespear at...

and *I* actually thought.

by Anonymousreply 808/25/2011

He and Ashley Judd played husband and wife on the TV show 'Sisters'

by Anonymousreply 908/25/2011

His I Hate Hamlet was horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 1008/25/2011

Paul Rudd at his best

by Anonymousreply 1108/25/2011

THE worst working actor today. I hate all those Apatow ugly dude non-stars but he's the ultimate. Too cool to make a choice so every line is glib. No warmth, can't even fake caring about another human being -- awful. He was even horrible on "Strangers with Candy" and that's hard to do. %0D %0D I remember watching "Clueless" almost 20 years ago and thinking "They couldn't find a better leading man?" And it went downhill from there. Talk about founding member of the F*ing Lucky club.

by Anonymousreply 1208/25/2011

%0D I always found his role in Clueless really creepy, and I can never understand how this is overlooked when the movie is being discussed. Once someone is your sibling-- in any form, blood relative or not-- you cannot pursue them romantically. Period. Not to mention, he was too old for her.%0D %0D I really wish his character would have just been a fucking next door neighbor, and that they would have case someone more age appropriate for a high school girl. Would that have been so hard?

by Anonymousreply 1308/25/2011

Yeah, the casting director (or Heckerling) on that one dropped the ball with the guy love interests across the board. Remember creepy "stud" she fell for who ends up being gay... sooooo unappealing (and never worked again). Even that Jeremy guy who played the school rich kid was a bit bland; Breckin Meyer okay but just okay. %0D %0D All the hot young guys in L.A. and they end up casting these (and you're right, all too old to boot).

by Anonymousreply 1408/25/2011

He did a Shakespeare play at Lincoln Center a few years ago and walked around in a speedo. The blue haired crowd gasped in awe.

by Anonymousreply 1508/25/2011

[quote]Where are the Nicholsons, Pacinos, DeNiros, Beattys, Dunaways, Ramplings, Redgraves, and Taylors of this generation? Actors who are striking, unusual, exciting, sensual, daring in their roles, etc.?%0D %0D They're over on one of the many nostalgic 70s movie threads...%0D %0D In fact, I hear a new one generating right now.

by Anonymousreply 1608/25/2011

"He did a Shakespeare play at Lincoln Center a few years ago and walked around in a speedo. The blue haired crowd gasped in awe."

I remember that. It was TWELFTH NIGHT with Helen Hunt. It was on PBS almost 15 years ago and I remember the audible gasps as he disrobed in front of her.

He was gorgeous:

by Anonymousreply 1708/25/2011

he made his acting debut on the TV show Sisters. Acting opposite theater vets David Dukes & Swoozie Kurtz.

by Anonymousreply 1808/25/2011

He reminds me a lot of Patrick Wilson...without the chiseled face, rockin' ass, and donkey cock.

by Anonymousreply 1908/25/2011

Why all the Paul Rudd hate? He has supported his gays, and gay marriage. No need to for a critical thread against him!

by Anonymousreply 2008/25/2011

r17 That's 10:18 of my life I won't get back again. I watched your whole fucking clip and there was no disrobing or speedos.

by Anonymousreply 2108/25/2011

[quote] Where are the Nicholsons, Pacinos, DeNiros, Beattys, Dunaways, Ramplings, Redgraves, and Taylors of this generation? Actors who are striking, unusual, exciting, sensual, daring in their roles, etc.?

Most of those actors are as funny as Cancer. There was always room for the comedic actor, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau. Rock Hudson, Jim Hutton as such.

by Anonymousreply 2208/25/2011

He is fat, then thin, then fat, then thin, then fat...

He is a yoyo

by Anonymousreply 2307/05/2012

Admission cementing his box office poisonness bump.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

I've always thought he was pretty damn hot. Seems pretty grounded in person.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

Absolutely love him. Totally cute and adorable. Would take him home to meet Mama. And, yes, r21, I was hoping for the disrobe...

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

Nice furry chest

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

The unhappy, vile queens on here hate anything and anyone that projects a smattering of goodness.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

Paul Rudd played Jamie Tyrone in "Long Day's Journey Into Night" on the West End, alongside Jessica Lange and Charles Dance, to rave reviews. He's obviously got the acting chops, so why he's been slumming it in dorky comedies for the past several years is beyond me. I like him, though, so I wish he'd get back on track.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

He'll make rom coms as long as they are successful.

Seems to me that there are two genres in Hollywood that together account for more than 50% of what is made: rom coms and action pics (special effect and sound overload).

Seems that to become a really big star, you have to get in to one of these two types of movies. Obviously most male actors fit the action genre and a few the rom coms- so both.

Most of the movies are boring as hell. I guess success in these formulaic films gives an actor clout to do more interesting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2013

I liked him in CLUELESS and OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION (never mind the film itself). And he did well in the one Apatow film IMO that wasn't cringe-worthy, I LOVE YOU, MAN.

He's done some fine work in theater, playing roles that are much different: BASH (where he is truly frightening as a Mormon gay basher), THE SHAPE OF THINGS, LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, GRACE.

But it's true that he goes on auto-pilot with many of the comedy films where he coasts on his personality. Still, I'd rather watch him than some other male "stars" that are repeatedly hoisted upon us.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013

He doesn't have any sexual chemistry with the gals they pair him with. You can't imagine them doing the nasty without adding hijinks and one-liners.

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2013

That's his deal, he wants to be an Apatow ugly dude but like Jenny McCarthy, no matter how outrageous you get, it's still not funny. Clowns aren't pretty.

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2013

"Role Model." Trashy fun.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2013

This is 40 was TOTAL SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2013

What R28 said.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2013

"Role Model" and "I Love You, Man" were both good.

Was looking through his film credits to see what else of his I liked.

The thing is I find Paul Rudd amazingly hot and likable but I just can't be persuaded to see any of his movies in the theater ever. He's like the movie rental box office champion for me.

I think I enjoy him best when he's playing a douche instead of a doofy serious love interest because what the other person said about him not having good on-screen romantic chemistry with women is true.

So I loved him in "Wet Hot American Summer" but he was just OK in "Clueless."

Also, has anyone seen his appearance as Nick Carraway in the A&E version of "The Great Gatsby"?

by Anonymousreply 3703/25/2013

[quote]And he did well in the one Apatow film IMO that wasn't cringe-worthy, I LOVE YOU, MAN.

Really R31? Even Knocked Up and Bridesmaids? Those two are the two best belly laugh comedies of the past few years, I'd say. I Love You, Man was merely OK.

I'm shocked that people are calling him average looking and saying he's lost his looks. He looks amazing for his age and more or less the same, one reason he's still being cast. Who could resist that beautiful face.

I was thinking Paul would be a good choice for a Paul Newman biopic. Now ridiculous and sacrilege you say, and obviously no one can really fill Newman's shoes, he was perfection. But it's been said that Rudd has a similar facial structure, with make-up I can see it. Plus Rudd and Newman worked together on a play.

by Anonymousreply 3803/25/2013

I was shocked to hear he's Jewish, he's the Waspiest looking Jew I've ever seen. He stated this on some TV interview, that his parents were British Jews. IIRC, they were from Liverpool or from some town with an 'L'.

by Anonymousreply 3903/25/2013

He'll be 44 in April. He looks his age, not bad, but certainly not amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4003/25/2013

Take Our Ageless Paul Rudd Quiz - Vulture

We accepted that Paul Rudd was 40 in This Is 40, because it was right there in the title. But if it had been called This Is 26, we would have accepted that just as easily. Because while in human years Rudd may be 43, he never seems to actually age: He looks 32ish and he always has, even when he was 26 and starring in Clueless. Clothes and facial hair might change, but Rudd consistently appears to be untouched by the usual physical transformation that comes from spending increasing time as an alive person. In fact, we challenge you to distinguish between his ages. In the following quiz, you'll see sixteen pairings of pictures of Rudd at different ages — some are four years apart, some are eleven, some are somewhere in between — and you have to guess in which of the two he is older. (To make things tricky we have taken away any clothing that might provide year-specific fashion clues!) Right or wrong, the year the photo was taken will come up to show you exactly how ageless he is. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 4103/25/2013

What R35 said.

by Anonymousreply 4203/25/2013

I liked Wet Hot American Summer, which famously has Bradley Cooper.

Great ensemble comedy cast and super low budget homage to those 80s films like Sleepaway Camp, evokes the period very well.

by Anonymousreply 4303/25/2013

He's the male Jennifer Anniston.

by Anonymousreply 4403/25/2013

[quote] He's the male Jennifer Anniston.(sic)

No. Jennifer Aniston is the male Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 4503/25/2013

[r45]: you might be right. She's got the hard body and he is all perimenopausally mushy and flabby.

by Anonymousreply 4603/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.