Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Identical twins where one is fat and the other is skinny?

Whenever I see identical twins, they are the same weight. Even twins who did not grow up together. If one grew up to be overweight, so did the other. This suggests to me that tendency toward weight gain is mostly genetic.

But I have seen no studies. Do you personally know of any identical twins where one is fat and the other is skinny?

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

Mary-Kate needs a bigger diet than clear broth, breath mints and starvation in sympathy for Heath Ledger's death. I'm starting to look like a total moo cow standing next to her.

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2011

Here's what they look like now:

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2011

The Olsen twins are fraternal.

by Anonymousreply 408/16/2011

I think it has to do with appetite and metabolism. Both seem to be governed by genetics.

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2011

Exactly R5, which is why it's so hilarious that we all cling to the myth that body weight is something within our control. Mostly, it isn't. There are a few rare exceptions, but the sad fact is that most people who are fat will remain so.

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2011

There only seems to be a slight weight differential with twins. Based on the few twins I've known, and what I can see online, it's never more than twenty pounds or so.

Just stumbled across this:

Katy and Maria Campbell Anorexic Twins

Katy and Maria Campbell made a bizarre agreement at the age of eleven that they would stop eating in order to %E2%80%9Close their hips.%E2%80%9D This commitment to not eating was based on a comment they heard their father make, %E2%80%9CGosh, those girls are becoming young women, aren%E2%80%99t they? They%E2%80%99re getting hips.%E2%80%9D Their parents, both successful writers, claim to be baffled as to why their daughters chose to become anorexic based on this arbitrary comment.

Now at 33, both of these young women look like coat hangers with clothes draped over them. They have been in and out of recovery clinics, lost jobs, are unhealthy and apparently want nothing more than to find a cure for their disease.

Neither of them have had a period to this day, but somehow through all of the ups and downs of this disease they both managed to finish medical school in 2009. However, neither of them has been able to hold down a job and they have never had boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2011

That Dylan Sprouse has a Hunter Parrish thing going on...

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2011

I'm friends with a twin. He is gay, very in shape. His brother straight, and obese.

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2011

Are they identical R10? If not, genetically they are nothing more than brothers born at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2011

They are identical twins. r11 I often wonder about the weight difference myself. All I can think of is my friend used to stuggle with substance abuse and after cleaning up got into sports and is very active and healthy.%0D His twin, never had the substance problems, however binge eats to cope and for him food is an actual addiction. I've never witnessed such a severe food addiction.

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2011

Sounds like the substance the brother is abusing is food, r10/12. The problem is, junk food and supersized portions are perfectly legal, so there's no pressure for him to face his problems.

I think that this is the case for many obese people.

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2011

r7, you have it backwards. Roughly 2% of people who are overweight/obese are so as a result of a medical condition they can't control, the vast majority of overweight/obese are because of over-consumption and inactivity.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2011

True R13. In many ways food addiction is harder to fight than drugs and alcohol. You can abstain completely from booze and drugs and live a great life. Not true with food. We have to eat so we are forced to make decisions about food every day and to eat in moderation. But true addicts can't do moderation. Also, food is legal and you won't kill anyone if you get in your car and drive after you eat an apple pie. So, overeating doesn't carry the same social and legal stigma.

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2011

Those anorexic pics at R8 creep me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2011

No one said it was due to a medical condition R14. Overweight people eat too much, of course. But they can not stop---at least not for long. 95% of all people who lose weight gain it back. Our bodies have a set point that they fight to maintain and it's very rare for people to be able to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off. It always comes back because very few people are able to maintain a constant state of deprivation for an extended period of time.

BTW, the sobriety rates for drug and alcohol addicts are roughly the same. It's only about 5%

Sorry for the bad news.

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2011

r17, the #1 reason people are fat is because of too much over eating and not enough physical activity. In no other point in history have humans had such an obesity epidemic we have today.

Since the 1970s Americans have been eating larger portions of more fattening food and have become increasingly sedentary in everyday life and shockingly the rates of obesity have ballooned. Why don't other nations have the obesity problems American have? Probably because they don't have sandwiches where greasy fried chicken is the fucking bread.

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2011

R18, our food in the US is not like anywhere else. Since the 70's more and more of it is processed. We consume lots of chemicals in our foods today that didn't even exist before 1970. With HFCS and other chemical additives and preservatives in most of what we consume, we have insulin resistance that causes food addiction that's is slowly killing us. We are a generation raised on foods that are designed to be addictive. Some lucky ones are immune (you, I'm guessing). They are the ones who say, "just eat less and exercise more, what's the problem?". Well, I'm not an alcoholic, so it would be very easy for me to say to someone who is addicted to alcohol....."well, just don't drink." Duh, they can't, they are addicts.

BTW, don't kid yourself, the rest of the world is catching up to us.

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2011

2 sets of twin sisters. One set- 5'5", one is a size 2-4, the other a 0. Both tiny framed It's the only thing that I can use to tell them apart. Another, 5'7"ish, one 6-8, the other 12-14. Their personalities (to me, at least, since I know one better) are different.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2011

r19, you're basically being redundant. For one, I already said people are eating larger portions of fattening food. Secondly you're basically just saying people's lifestyles including what they select to eat largely dictates whether they're a fat ass or not.

Face the facts, for the vast majority of people their weight is something they can control but choose to make lame excuses like the ones you're providing.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2011

He propensity to store fat (or burn it) is genetic. There is no "suggestion" involved.

That is like saying "identical twins always have the same hair color that suggest to me hair color is genetic"

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2011

The twins that played Tabitha in Bewithced look very different. One is overweight and butch. The other is slim and Christie Brinkley-like.

by Anonymousreply 2308/16/2011

Do identical twins have the same sexual proclivities or desires? Would their wives compare notes and see they like to do the same things and same amount of stamina etc. ?

by Anonymousreply 2408/16/2011

[quote]we all cling to the myth that body weight is something within our control. Mostly, it isn't.

The myth is that if everyone put in the same amount of work to stay healthy that we'd all look the same. It's an un-american idea to think that equal work does not get you equal rewards for each person.

by Anonymousreply 2508/16/2011

well, R19.. I think the biggest issue in USA is the food culture. Many people don't cook dinner and would rather go out to eat, and therefore they eat lots of fast food and other unhealthy food. It would be better for a healthier and more varied diet if more people made dinner at home, it's cheaper too.

by Anonymousreply 2608/16/2011

bumb2bump

by Anonymousreply 2708/19/2011

Fat isn't a gene. Sure some of us are born with faster metabolisms than others, but it is the unhealthy food that people eat consistently that put on the extra pounds. At the same time it's tough to say it's purely a person's fault they're overweight especially when almost everything we eat(specifically things that taste good) all have high fructose corn syrup, and considering that is all around us. Do the research. High fructose corn syrup is cheap to make, artificial, and it is sweeter than natural sugar. So, technically speaking, it's America's addiction to HFCS that is the root to the countries obesity. Oh and btw for people who think that they can't help the fact that they're fat, you must be weak minded. If you ate a healthy diet with proper exercise, you would not be obese, plain and simple(unless you have thyroid problems). The equation is simple, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. If you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2011

Sharon and Susan were both thin and they didn't meet until they were teenagers at Camp Inch.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2011

Don't go by what twins look like to determine if they are identical, and don't go by their own opinion of the situation.

The only way to tell for sure that twins are identical is through DNA testing, so many of the examples here may not fit.

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2011

Jason and Jeremy London. Of course, the drug and alcohol abuse may have something to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2011

Genetics is only one part of it, maybe how the body processes stuff and your frame structure. Usually, they are the same because of instilled eating habits by the family or they happen to both be active.

You are mostly fat because you eat too much. You over indulge, simple at that, for the amount of energy you burn. If, you store fat easy, you'd survive longer than someone that doesn't if if was 10,000 years ago when food was scarce.

Now, food is available 24/7.

There can be a fat twin and a skinny twin. Translation. A hot one and a homely one. Try it. Get two identical twins. Lock on in one room for a few months. Only feed one pizza, junkfood and lots of it. The other a normal diet. Are you saying they'd look the same. I don't think so. People that only put emphasis on genes just don't want that accept that they are fat by their own method.

by Anonymousreply 3212/20/2011

Hi,

I am currently casting twins for a major cable network. Our documentary style series will focus on individuals who are struggle with their weight (350+) and have a twin. Your twin can be either struggling alongside you or already at his or her normal weight. We are looking for people who want to share their story! If this you email us itsmylifeplus(at)gmail(dot)com. Please include your name, age, your city & state, how much you weight and a photo. Also tell us about your life and the emotional and physical challenges you are facing.

All the best, Casting Team

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

R7 is an idiot. When two identical twins weigh the same it's so obvious that it's just genetics and we have no control over our weight, right?

Except for the fact that the twins have in almost all cases been living together their whole lives and are exposed to almost the exact same environmental factors.

Anyone who thinks weight is all about genetics, needs to take a good look at the general population. I would say at best it's probably 5% genetics.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

My friend told me that he's motivated to work out everyday so that he doesn't become known as or referred to as "the fat twin."

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

I've forgotten if it was Duke or Cornell but in the 90's they specifically sought out twins where one was fat the other lean to try to see what had caused the obesity.

They found 200 pairs very quickly. They found no genetic reason for the fat one to be fat, but in every case the fat one had a radically different diet composition from the lean one.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

Erik Rhodes has a straight (twin) brother who looks exactly like him except the brother didn't work out as much or (ab)used steroids. Oh, and the brother is still alive while Erik died this year.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

They had this case in Canada where these Identical twins grew up looking nothing alike. One was FAT and the other was thin. And they were not identical, so everyone thought they were fraternal.

Fast forward 18 years and one of the twins (the thin one) met a classmate that was a total dead-ring for him. They looked like twins!

After some digging they realized they had the same birthday, born in the same hospital. And a baby switch must of been made.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.