Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Human Foreskins are Big Business for Cosmetics

In the business of vanity almost anything goes. Creams, lotions, and cosmetics are reported to be made out many things that most people would be repulsed by. Fish scales in lipsticks, cow placenta in anti-aging products, crushed female cochineal insects in shampoo, and human foreskin in face cream.

Foreskin fibroblasts are used to grow and cultivate new cells that are then used for a variety of purposes. From the fibroblasts new skin for burn victims can be grown, skin to cover diabetic ulcers, and controversially it is also used to make cosmetic creams and collagens. One foreskin can be used for decades to grow $100,000 worth of fibroblasts.

Debate is growing over the ethics of using human foreskins for cosmetic purposes. One such cosmetic company, SkinMedica is raising a stir over their use of the growth hormone left over from growing artificial skin from foreskin fibroblasts. Dr. Fitzpatrick, who invented SkinMedica, works with a supplier that uses foreskin fibroblast to make injectable collagen. The foreskins that he receives the growth hormone for are used especially for cosmetics rather than for growing new skin for medical patients.

SkinMedica, which sells for over $100 for a 63-oz. bottle, was made famous by Oprah Winfrey and Barbara Walters. Winfrey in fact has promoted SkinMedica several times on her show and website. Discussions about the ethics of using human foreskins for vanity have been circulating on the web but there has not been a response from Winfrey on this debate.

Dr. Fitzpatrick says that using foreskins was simply a choice of convenience. "It doesn't matter if you get a fibroblast from the eyelid, the cheek, the foot or the foreskin," Fitzgerald said in an interview. "That cell is still a fibroblast; it does the same thing. Foreskins were used because that is a common surgery and the skin is thrown away, so why not use it for benefits? Twelve years ago when this was done, there would have been no objection to using foreskin tissue." But now that circumcision rates in Canada have dropped below 10 percent and rates in the United States are dropping foreskins are not as convenient anymore. Newborn foreskins are extremely valuable for fibroblasts. The tissue reproduces better, has more vitality, and is generally guaranteed to be healthy.

SkinMedica is not the only company profiting from human foreskins. Since the 1980's many hospitals have been providing infant foreskins to a number of bio-research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, and of course cosmetic companies. In Mothering Magazine in the Winter of 1997 issue Paul M. Fleiss, MD stated that "the marketing of purloined baby foreskins is a multimillion-dollar-a-year industry." With inflation and the growing number of cosmetic companies using foreskin fibroblasts that number is surely even higher today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1308/10/2011

Disgusting.

And one of the many reasons why male circumcision is wrong and is only about making money by violating infants.

by Anonymousreply 108/10/2011

So, soon, it'll be a compliment to call someone a dickface.

by Anonymousreply 208/10/2011

Well, everyone who uses expensive face creams has been plastering their face in human (yes, human!) placentas for years.

The high-end cosmetics firms have long had contracts with maternity hospitals to pick up the placentas "discarded" after deliveries on a frequent basis.

Not even a bad joke, just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 308/10/2011

So the doctor charges you to remove your foreskin and then turns around and sells it? I think the person who was just skinned should get the money, not the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 408/10/2011

R2 -- you gave me my belly laugh of the day. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 508/10/2011

While shopping, don't forget your Fight Club soap, made from authentic Upper East Side society gals' fat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 608/10/2011

Now you know what industry the pro-circ trolls work in.

by Anonymousreply 708/10/2011

What do the mohels do with the leftover foreskins? Sell them to gays for chewing gum.

by Anonymousreply 808/10/2011

Women have been getting $10,000 per egg when they get in financial trouble! We DEMAND a fair price for our foreskins!

by Anonymousreply 908/10/2011

When human skin meets skin care products

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1008/10/2011

[quote] What do the mohels do with the leftover foreskins? Sell them to gays for chewing gum.

I've heard they make them into wallets. When they rub them, the wallets turn into briefcases.

by Anonymousreply 1108/10/2011

I wish they'd just take off the whole damned thing instead of just the foreskin.

Thank of all the problems that would solve!

by Anonymousreply 1208/10/2011

I shudder to think that mine was probably just thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 1308/10/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!