Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Discretionary" door policy at G Bar (19th Street, NYC)

No baggie clothes, no work boots (policy may be amended by management)

Translation: No blacks.... but if you are cute enough, you might get in.

I've always hated that pretentious place!

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Rubbish. The place has tons of black people.

I hate that place too, but because it's cheesy, not because it's racist. I'm black btw.

by Anonymousreply 108/10/2011

Work boots? Were they getting a big construction worker crowd? I doubt anyone shows up in work boots that weren't a specific style choice, so discriminating against them seems hilariously fussy.%0D %0D The "baggy clothes" prohibition did strike me as subtly racist, though, and certainly classist.

by Anonymousreply 208/10/2011

People still go to G?

by Anonymousreply 308/10/2011

If you're old enough to ask that question, r3, you're entirely too old to be running around town after the hot new bar. So drop it, queen.

by Anonymousreply 408/10/2011

Can we PLEASE start F&F'ing our resident race-bait troll / the op??%0D %0D We F&F many other racists but this one troll seems to get away with constantly generalizing white people, yelling "RACIST!!" in every other thread, etc.%0D %0D Enough of this asshole already.

by Anonymousreply 508/10/2011

Fail, r4. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 608/10/2011

G hold a special place in my heart, since it was the first bar I started going to when I came out 10 years ago. I loved that place, and went there every Sat night. It was a fun, upscale place to go, and I developed a mad crush on the Lebanese bartender Remy. I haven't been to G in a good 4-5 years, but I heard it's gone the way of other bars, with go-go boys and other trashy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 708/10/2011

[quote]The "baggy clothes" prohibition did strike me as subtly racist, though, and certainly classist.

Isn't it kinda racist to automatically assume baggy clothes = black?

I'm sure they want to keep out ghetto trash, regardless of color.

by Anonymousreply 808/10/2011

Are there any decent bars for a 30 year old in NYC? Because I went to NYC last year, and was unimpressed with the handful of gay bars that I went to.

by Anonymousreply 908/10/2011

R8 is correct. Those of you who call the policy racist are in fact the racists.

by Anonymousreply 1008/10/2011

[quote]I'm sure they want to keep out ghetto trash, regardless of color.%0D %0D The stupidity of this comment boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 1108/10/2011

[quote]Fail, [R4]. Try again%0D %0D Your use of the outdated "Fail" further marks you as too old to be running around after trends, old Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1208/10/2011

Gym Bar and Boxers are fun places to hang out. The guys aren't as arrogant or poseur-ish as they are in some places, though some of the guys in Boxers can be a bit cliquy. I used to enjoy going to the Eagle Sun night for their beer blast, but when I go now...and I know this sounds terrible...all I see is a sea of guys with HIV. I know one of the door guys there. They were having some HIV-only night there a while back and he "joked" that it would no different than any other night at the Eagle.

by Anonymousreply 1308/10/2011

[quote]Isn't it kinda racist to automatically assume baggy clothes = black?

Exactly. Go to any high school or college in America and you'll see that look.

by Anonymousreply 1408/10/2011

I finger-fucked a guy at Splash last night. I can say that he prepared himself very well for any activity back there.

by Anonymousreply 1508/10/2011

I've went to this bar a handful of times over the years and never enjoyed myself. I always felt like it was too uptight. I much prefer Gym or XES, but maybe it's just me.

by Anonymousreply 1608/10/2011

As a gay teen 20 yrs ago I used to go to Uncle Charlie's on Greenwich. One of the things I remember most is that there was this old (probably late 40s, early 50s, which is old to a teen) lurking about, cruising anything under 25. I still go out from the time to time, and the sad thing is that I still see this queen, who looks very much his 70+ years hovering around flirting with the very young guys.

by Anonymousreply 1708/10/2011

I've never seen anyone get turned away at G due to clothing or race. I always see plenty of guys of all different races.

by Anonymousreply 1808/10/2011

Oh r12, you're posting on a thread about G, a bar that has been irrelevant for at least seven years. No one here finds you to be a barometer of current trends.

by Anonymousreply 1908/10/2011

They want to exclude a certain element that's usually found on Christopher Street.

by Anonymousreply 2008/10/2011

That's it. It's classist.

Which is funny because they're stuck in the 90s and, well, it's funny that such a cheesy place has aspirations. I guess everyone has to look down on someone.

by Anonymousreply 2108/11/2011

the truth on the matter is that policy was to keep the gay male, black community out of the bar because management had several nights where the police were called into having severe issues regarding several incidences that involved a handful of african american gay men who where robbing patrons or having fights at the bar.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

LOL, what's with New York?

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

Bigotry

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.