Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lucille Ball Had Black Teeth

I'm watching "The Lucy Show", and my god, color television was not that woman's friend! Her teeth were fucking black, not just stained yellow-brown, but black! I know people weren't bleaching their teeth back then, but no one else in the show had teeth as bad as her's. It must have been all the smoking.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2013

Heavy smokers back then often had badly discolored teeth. It was probably a combination of not having teeth whitening agents in toothpaste, smoking nonfiltered cigarettes and drinking coffee.

by Anonymousreply 108/10/2011

they were charming.

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2013

Get a good look at Johnny Carson; dude had rotted corn growing on the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2013

Toothpaste back then was not like modern toothpaste with all the whitening agents and other chemicals. A lot of people didn't go to the dentist for a teeth cleaning either, even wealthy people. And of course when you add in coffee and smoking filterless cigarettes, teeth could get really discolored.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

What did her gash look like?

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2013

People didn't care about things like that back then. Going to the dentist was nightmarish, you went when you absolutely had to, other than that you avoided it because they drilled with no anesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

Lucille Ball stated that when she was an RKO girl, they made her wear veneers over her teeth while filming as her teeth weren't up to snuff.

Dawn "Mary Ann" Wells also said, on all the episodes of Gilligan Island, she had to wear veneer covers.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

We call that a "gummer," R11.

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2013

Well, I think r2 solved the mystery of whose 'look' dear old Vadge is currently 'paying homage' to...

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2013

Pics OP

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1509/17/2013

Crowns and dentures cannot be whitened

by Anonymousreply 1609/17/2013

She's been dead for 25 years. Let a bitch rest in peace!

by Anonymousreply 1709/17/2013

no, she didn't until we see proof.

by Anonymousreply 1809/30/2013

It probably was a Life magazine article of LB circa 1943. They photographed her eyes up close (there were already lines around her eyes) and of her yellowed teeth. She was 32.

by Anonymousreply 1909/30/2013

This is why I love DL.

by Anonymousreply 2009/30/2013

I couldn't find a good pic of her teeth but I did find a depressing short article called "The Last Days of Lucille Ball."

[quote]The date was March 29, 1989. The most famous comedienne in the history of show business was about to make her final TV appearance.

[quote]The great Lucille Ball was appearing at the annual Academy Awards ceremony, along with the world's most popular comedian, Bob Hope (an old friend of Lucille Ball). Hope had talked Lucy into making the joint appearance after many phone calls and much begging. Finally, Lucy had conceded, but she hated the very idea of it.

[quote]"Goddamn Hope," Lucy complained, "No one cares what the hell he looks like, but everybody cares what I look like--God, I'm so tired of myself."

by Anonymousreply 2109/30/2013

It is because she was picking up japanese spy radio transmissions with her teeth.

Those blackened teeth helped to keep us free!

by Anonymousreply 2209/30/2013

But it had to warm Lucille's heart to realize that her Academy Award appearance with Bob Hope was an unequivocal triumph garnering one of the longest and loudest standing ovations in the ceremony's history. She was truly beloved throughout the industry and it was a satisfyingly lovely and fitting tribute before she died shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2013

Her's?

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2013

She was going to get veneers but Gary Morton advised her not to.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2013

The Academy Awards must have been bittersweet because she never really made it in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2013

Before flouridation, all stars has their teeth capped, courtesy of the studios.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2013

I really don't think it was Desi's death that sent her into a decline. She was truly crushing at the realization that her career was finally over. She would go on talk shows and call Desi a "loser"; she probably still had feelings for him but I don't she pined for him into the grave.

That final show of hers was ghastly. She looked terrible, was in her seventies, and was still trying to do the zany Lucy character that got pies in the faces and did pratfalls. It wasn't funny anymore; it was just sad.

Lucy Ball didn't become a big star until she was in her forties. She aged prematurely, probably due to her workaholic ways and heavy smoking. Her skin was not the type that did well with plastic surgery. She had her eyes done and it was slow to heal. She basically have to live with her wrinkles and get filmed in softer than soft focus.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013

But does anyone know if toothpastes back then had whitening agents?

Did smoking and drinking coffee affect the color of one's teeth?

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2013

Supposedly Laurence Olivier told Marilyn Monroe that she could whiten her teeth by brushing with baking soda and lemon. He thought her teeth looked kind of yellow. God knows how the incredibly insecure Marilyn reacted to that.

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2013

R11 - I understand that until this generation Quebecois used to have all of their teeth pulled and buy full dentures at a young age as their diet of Mae West (a Hostess-like snack cake) and Pepsi would ruin their teeth anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.