Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amanda Plummer

What happened to her career?

by Anonymousreply 6410/26/2013

I don't know. For a while, she seemed to be cornering the market in all those neurotic Julie Harris roles.

by Anonymousreply 208/08/2011

Have you seen Butterfly Kiss?

by Anonymousreply 308/08/2011

She thought it would be safe if she tethered it to Nancy Travis. Oops!

by Anonymousreply 408/08/2011

she is nuts. as nuts as Sandy Dennis was.

She is mean. as mean as Faye Dunaway is.

She has an overinflated sense of ego. as much as Betty Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 508/08/2011

She's fucking nuts, is why. And that's saying something in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2011

Why not ask me!

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2011

Very talented, very crazy.

by Anonymousreply 808/08/2011

[quote]Like most; could not get another acting job; in the league of Gale Harold; acting is a horrible career.%0D %0D When you don't know what the fuck is going on or who Amanda Plummer is, resort to Barnum statements about actors.

by Anonymousreply 908/08/2011

don't blame me, I was never around. She takes after Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 1008/08/2011

R9, the lunatic is obsessed with Gale Harold. She's a loathsome Republican dumbass who has already been banned once.

by Anonymousreply 1108/08/2011

Not quite as successful as her sister, Liquid.

by Anonymousreply 1208/08/2011

IMDB says she had 3 movies come out last year. Two this year and another four in production.

Mostly low budget, but interesting movies. She's definitely working.

I find her mannered and uninteresting -- a crazier version of Jennifer Jason Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 1308/08/2011

Yeah, R11, I've become familiar with TTC and her compulsion to post opinions about things she knows nothing about. And she's going to become a syndicated columnist, too!

by Anonymousreply 1408/08/2011

Back in the 1990's she played Catherine De Medici opposite F. Murray Abraham, Julia Ormond and Tcheky Karyo in "Nostradamus".

Haven't really seen her in much since then.

by Anonymousreply 1508/08/2011

Michael Riedel: Diva Amanda Plummer ‘a nightmare’ backstage

New York Post, Sept. 5, 2013

Today’s special — diva dish! The diva is Amanda Plummer, one of our finest, if battiest, stage actors. And here’s the dish: Plummer received rave reviews as the demented actress in “The Two-Character Play,” an obscure Tennessee Williams melodrama running at off-Broadway’s New World Stages. The Times’ Ben Brantley described her character as a “raging paranoiac, blessed and cursed by a talent [she] can no longer control.”

That’s pretty much how people working on the show describe Plummer herself.

Since the production opened in June, nearly 15 performances have been canceled, several because Plummer refused to go on. Two weeks ago, she canceled the Wednesday matinee two minutes before the curtain went up because she saw particles of dust floating around in the lights. “It’s too distracting. I can’t perform with all this dust in the air,” she told the management. Her co-star, Brad Dourif, came onstage and told the sold-out house the show was off.

The pair didn’t show up for that evening’s performance either, so their woefully under-rehearsed standbys, Rob Sedgwick and Elize Russell, performed with scripts in hand. Russell wore Plummer’s costume, which was “too big and baggy for her,” says a source, and Sedgwick practically tripped over the furniture. Most of the paying customers left when they learned the stars were out. Sources say the standbys rattled around in front of about 13 people.

Plummer usually has Tuesdays off. But since the July Fourth weekend started on Thursday, the producers added a Tuesday performance. Plummer was having none of it. She missed her half-hour call and didn’t return several frantic messages from the stage manager. The performance was canceled.

Early in the run, she fell off the stage and injured herself — a legitimate reason to miss some performances. But with so many canceled shows, the producers are bleeding money and, sources say, decided to close the production at the end of the month. (Plummer and Dourif will miss performances Monday and Wednesday due to a death in Dourif’s family. Sources say she refuses to perform without him.)

Backstage, Plummer has been “a nightmare,” a source says. She refused to perform if the air conditioning was on, even in the middle of the summer. The management turned it way down, so she couldn’t hear it, but that led to complaints from sweltering audience members.

New World Stages is made up of several theaters, one of which is home to “iLuminate,” a hip-hop musical. Plummer hates noise backstage and “flipped out” one night because she could hear the bass player from “iLuminate,” says a source. She stood in front of the theater shouting, “I’m not doing the show until you turn off that music!” (Soundproof padding was hastily installed.)

Plummer has a reputation for being a diva. She’s been let go from shows in the past (“Art of Success” at Manhattan Theatre Club), and when she appeared in the off-Broadway play “Abundance,” Times reporter Alex Witchel described her as “someone who can call her own shots.” One night, Plummer took a strong dislike to her wig, delaying the 8 p.m. curtain nearly an hour. (At least there wasn’t a dust problem.)

“The Two-Character Play” has been troubled from the start. The director, Gene David Kirk, was let go during technical rehearsals after reportedly clashing with the stage manager. His picture was posted at the stage door with orders that he not be admitted to the theater. Shortly after, the lighting designer quit and, in a fit of pique, sources say, erased all the lighting cues.

Plummer refuses to speak to her producers, and sources say they’re considering lodging a complaint about her with Actors’ Equity.

Plummer was unavailable for comment.

(more at link)

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

She had a career?

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2013

[quote]Two weeks ago, she canceled the Wednesday matinee two minutes before the curtain went up because she saw particles of dust floating around in the lights. “It’s too distracting. I can’t perform with all this dust in the air,” she told the management.

I just had the overwhelming urge to beat this woman severely.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

She is a Tony and multiple Emmy winner.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

Emily Watson stole her career.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

Amazing how two attractive people like Christopher Plummer and Tammy Grimes produced such an unattractive offspring.

Does she have a history of mental illness in her mother's side of the family? It might explain what Tammy Grimes did to her face.

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2013

She was the newest, hottest, and most other-worldliest thing in 1982 in "Agnes of God". It was one of the most remarkable productions I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2013

Amanda Plummer is Mame, in her dreams. And oru nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

All I can say is that I saw Plummer in two of her early Broadway appearances, A Taste of Honey and Agnes of God. She was...extraordinary? Mesmerizing? It's hard to find the language to describe actors who so fully embody their characters that you are fully transported beyond the theater into the world they inhabit.

I lost track of Plummer after her equally strong, if small, performance in the film "Daniel", loosely based on the Rosenberg children. I'm saddened, though not surprised, to hear she is the kind of "difficult" that likely stems from the type of mental illness that also fosters the ability to give transformative performances. But the woman is--or at least was--a singularly gifted actress.

by Anonymousreply 2409/06/2013

She looks like the lovechild of Patti Smith and Jackie Rogers, Jr. Except elderly.

by Anonymousreply 2509/06/2013

who replaced her in “Art of Success” at Manhattan Theatre Club?

Mary-Louise Parker?

by Anonymousreply 2609/06/2013

Tammy Grimes looks like Melanie Griffith @R21 .!?

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

She's a freak and nobody likes her.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

Had a friend who recently worked on a film with her and said she was crazy as hell. And he knows crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2013

She was rather good as the schizophrenic rape victim in Law & Order: SVU.

She's no great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2013

She sounds like an obnoxious, spoiled diva or someone who has severe mental problems. The particles of dust anecdote reminds me of Howard Hughes. He was obsessive-compulsive?

She really should seek help.

Of course, in the meantime, I understand show business people who don't want to work with her anymore.

You can have sympathy for a mentally afflicted person, it doesn't mean you will galdly endure unprofessionnal and bratish beahvior, no matter what caused it.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

Didn't she have clashes with druggie Elizabeth Ashley during Agnes?

Ashley and Carrie Fisher must have been a fun twosome BTW!

by Anonymousreply 3209/06/2013

Mental illness comes from her mother - Tammy Grimes hasn't worked in years either because she's nutty as a fruitcake and totally unreliable. And Tammy was, like Amanda, once the toast of Broadway (all those Coward plays and "Unsinkable Molly Brown").

It's all in Chris' autobiog - a great read. He pities them both and is very sad he couldn't do more to help Amanda, but he says "it's in the genes and I just couldn't do anything about that." (which sounds like why he had to leave at intermission).

Even Quentin Tarantino, who's a few cards short of a full deck, said Amanda was "brilliant, but I can never work with her again" after her turn as one of the assassins in the diner in "Pulp Fiction".

by Anonymousreply 3309/07/2013

did Plummer ever date? male or female?

I remember as a kid reading she was dating Timothy Hutton and finding it disturbing, he seemed like such a nice boy!

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

She's no Kate Burton.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2013

She's always creeped me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll #11 removed (violent racist homophobic right-wing misogynist), ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll #11 removed (violent racist homophobic right-wing misogynist), ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2013

[quote] Amazing how two attractive people like Christopher Plummer and Tammy Grimes produced such an unattractive offspring.

Tammy Grimes was attractive?

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2013

Tammy Grimes has severe memory problems, and has done since the early 80s. What's the source?

by Anonymousreply 4209/07/2013

oh my r43

by Anonymousreply 4410/24/2013

R43. Please call Mary, immediately. Help is needed in Aisle 4.

by Anonymousreply 4510/24/2013

Never got the admiration for her acting. Twitchy gimmicky and a really annoying voice.

by Anonymousreply 4610/24/2013

Does anyone recall the perfectly awful, "The Tammy Grimes Show" on TV in the 60's? It didn't make an entire season.

by Anonymousreply 4710/24/2013

I'm afraid mother and daughter are both acquired and quirky tastes, which translates into only a very little amount of work.

by Anonymousreply 4810/24/2013

Where did this McPhee person come from? I'd never heard of her until recently.

by Anonymousreply 4910/24/2013

I liked her over-the-top performance in Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2013

Wrong thread, dear. McPhee was one of the two leads on NBC's colossal flop, Smash, and she became Ms. Cellophane as the series ground on. Neither Amanda nor her mother could ever be accused of blending into the scenery. Got that, now? Good!

by Anonymousreply 5110/24/2013

I was going to post a youtube episode of the awful Tammy Grimes show from 1968, which got cancelled after only 4 episodes (a never before ooccurence in TV history at that point) but it was so awful, I thought you'd just like to here the opening credit music because it may ring some bells.

by Anonymousreply 5210/24/2013

I feel like a bad theater queen for never knowing that Amanda Plummer is Tammy Grimes and Christopher Plummer's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2013

I thought people were singing the praises of Tammy Grimes on the Boys In The Band thread since it was her apt they used in it?

Did TG have a nosejob, bc CP had a natural nose, and AP's is uh, a rather large probiscus.

by Anonymousreply 5410/24/2013

I hope that wig got a credit at r52's link.

by Anonymousreply 5510/24/2013

Grimes definitely had a nosejob, hence the weird pig nose she wound up with. I believe that Amanda wound up with Grimes' original nose.

by Anonymousreply 5610/24/2013

The delightful production of "Pygmalion" with Peter O'Toole, John Mills, Lionel Jeffries, Joyce Redman, and Dora Bryan was almost completely ruined by casting Plummer as Eliza! And guess who was the only one in the production to get a Tony nomination!

by Anonymousreply 5810/25/2013

I love Dora Bryan.

by Anonymousreply 5910/25/2013

When she was younger, she was not ugly, she was quirky beautiful.

Here she is in a clip from The Fisher King and she seems wonderful.

Maybe her very early success, combined with her family pedigree and dash of the crazy, caused her to have career expectations that she was never able to fulfill, hence her erratic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 6010/25/2013

I think she went to Middlebury.

by Anonymousreply 6110/25/2013

"Quirkily beautiful?" I wish somebody would explain to me what the hell that means.

by Anonymousreply 6210/25/2013

Quirkily yes. Beautiful uh uh.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 6410/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!