Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Anyone read it?

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013

Ghostwritten (and some say heavily edited) by Alex Haley but a great read nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 108/08/2011

Read it in college. I think Malcolm fabricated a lot of his childhood, but it's still an important book.

by Anonymousreply 208/08/2011

Long ago. I was interested in the pattern of reinvention in his life. How many convicted criminals ever become that effective in life? I don't know how accurate the book is, but he's a fascinating man.

by Anonymousreply 308/08/2011

Like MLK Jr, he was killed when he saw and began to speak about how most social problems were based on class, not on race.

by Anonymousreply 408/08/2011

Of course, OP -- and probably before you were born.

by Anonymousreply 508/08/2011

I read it and couldn't put it down. His transformation was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2011

He was a homo too

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2011

His grandson, Malcolm Shabazz, was just killed in Mexico. Robbed, shot, and thrown off a cliff.

He's the one who, as a juvenile, set a fire that killed his grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2013

no great loss

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2013

I have never read the book and i should be ashamed. the film "X" is my favorite, and while I realize there were probably historic inaccuracies and poetic license in it, I am simply mesmerized by his life. I could not agree more with the earlier post which stated that he came to a point where he believed class and not race was the root of the divide in this country. i believe that is even more the case today. The white poor in America have so much more in common with the Black lower class than they do with middle class and higher whites it's ridiculous. And the manner in which the Black lower class denigrate and dislike upwardly mobile, educated Blacks is becoming untenable. Raising ones self up the ladder should not be seen as "selling out". The question is, how do we realistically lift a group of people who have all but given up out of poverty?

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!