Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Damages Season 4

I'm not liking this Afghanistan shit. So far this season blows. Bailey Chase is nice to look at, though.

by Anonymousreply 5710/07/2012

This season has a very sinister feel to it. And John Goodman is positively creepy playing the Christian fundie mercenary.

by Anonymousreply 108/06/2011

I agree. The only reason to really watch is the Patty-Ellen dance. Well I am amused by Patty and the future Patty she is raising.

by Anonymousreply 208/06/2011

Have we seen beautiful Bailey shirtless yet? He was the hottest thing on that Holly Hunter show too...

by Anonymousreply 308/06/2011

Nope, no shirtless Bailey, yet. What do we know about him, anyway? Same age as me... not married - and I know why I'm not married...

by Anonymousreply 408/07/2011

Where and what time is it airing? I missed this somehow.

by Anonymousreply 508/07/2011

Didn't Bailey do an episode of Law and Order where he played a gay professional football player?%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D I don't have Direct TV. Can someone tell me what's going on with Ellen and Patty?

by Anonymousreply 608/07/2011

I've been watching it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 708/07/2011

I'm enjoying this season and am fascinated by Patty and Ellen's relationship.

by Anonymousreply 808/07/2011

I like the relationship between Patty & Ellen, too, because you know intrinsically they're both the same, yet they don't appear that way. The game of chess between them is so subtly played out. What I'm not enjoying about this season is the whole war machine storyline - I know it's current and relevant, but I've had enough of the reality on the daily news.

by Anonymousreply 908/07/2011

I think it's just darling that Glennie still has this little hobby.

by Anonymousreply 1008/07/2011

Is it only on DirectTV or is it also on iTunes?

by Anonymousreply 1108/07/2011

I am enjoying the show, but I can see why most Americans would not like the Afghanistan plot, especially since it is painting the Christian fundie patriots as fucked-up terrorists themselves. %0D %0D But as a Canadian, I am loving it. The show is not playing with its signature nonlinear time-narrative as much as it did in the last three seasons, but there is an opening scene in the first episode that promises to be the anchor for the entire season (although they don't show it over and over again as they used to in the past). %0D %0D WARNING- POSSIBLE SPOILERS: %0D %0D Still can't quite figure out what is going on with Patty. Her therapy sessions, her weird scenes with Ellen (is she setting Ellen up?), her private life going to hell with her son missing and her granddaughter sick. Is the show preparing us for a big shock? %0D %0D Chris Messina is just the cutest guy ever. For those who are looking for a Chris-signature as shot, there is a quick one in which his character is seen buck naked tied to a ceiling after being tortured by his best friend. Kinky.

by Anonymousreply 1208/14/2011

I'm Canadian too, R12. I don't care for the storyline because it's too depressing, given that it's probably not too far from the truth. Christian fundies ARE fucked up terrorists - you see that everyday - I just didn't want to see it on Damages.

by Anonymousreply 1308/14/2011

Sorry, that should have been "Chris signature ASS shot".%0D %0D And I think Damages is the perfect, most appropriate place for fanatic Christian fundie patriots to turn up and be given the proper portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 1408/15/2011

[quote]I've been watching it on Netflix.

No, you haven't.

Season 4 is not available.

by Anonymousreply 1508/15/2011

It's on iTunes in Canada. I imagine it's also on iTunes in the States.

by Anonymousreply 1608/15/2011

[quote]It's on iTunes in Canada. I imagine it's also on iTunes in the States.

No, only on DirecTV for now.

by Anonymousreply 1708/15/2011

Uh, R15 - in Canada it is. So STFU and stop assuming everyone lives in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 1808/15/2011

I've been watching it. I was't a viewer when it was on FX, because too much was going that didn't allow me to check out every series worthy. So I have watched [italic]Damages[/italic] on DirecTV. [italic]Sinister[/italic] is the way to describe it; and Dylan Baker is a regular this season, playing yet another lowlife creep. But the show has a cheap budget now; it feels too claustrophobic. And, even worse, it's slow in getting the storyline moving.

by Anonymousreply 1908/15/2011

I've been watching it on iTunes here in Canada. %0D %0D Any guesses on Michael's story? %0D %0D I agree the story is slow in moving ... it seems to be more character-motivated this season.

by Anonymousreply 2008/15/2011

I think the season/series finale will be a bloody Patty/Michael showdown.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2011

OMG, I just saw this week's episode. Patty is in high gear and things are falling into place! %0D %0D %0D SPOILER ALERT: Once again, the show is making some kind of statement by having the French government help her out (on top of making these Christian fundies look like sociopathic madmen). %0D %0D Any guesses on who the body is that Ellen discovers? Is it really Chris Sanchez?

by Anonymousreply 2208/30/2011

Who else would it be, R22?

by Anonymousreply 2308/30/2011

For a split second, I thought that maybe she discovers Patty's body but I think Glenn Close has signed on for the fifth season.

by Anonymousreply 2408/30/2011

It never occurred to me that it's Patty's body. I think it'll be Chris Sanchez.

by Anonymousreply 2508/30/2011

This thread is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 2608/30/2011

I think Patty is going to betray Ellen, and is setting her up. That's how Ellen ends up in Afghanistan. She wants Ellen dead ... probably blames her for Tom's death.

by Anonymousreply 2709/05/2011

Why is Bailey Chase on this show? He has had all but a few scenes all season.

by Anonymousreply 2809/05/2011

I'm not even sure that the warehouse where Ellen discovers the unknown body (?) is even in Afghanistan. I think it might be that former slaughterhouse near Erickson's property. Which would also explain why the little Afghani boy, who we know is in the States right now, is in the scene.

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2011

Bailey's not aging well.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2011

The last episode is next week: Patty's going to fuck Ellen up good.

by Anonymousreply 3109/11/2011

Yes, but is Bailey fucking anyone? And have we seen him naked yet??

by Anonymousreply 3209/11/2011

I checked out about three weeks ago; just got tired of waiting for it to develop.

by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2011

R20%0D %0D I thought it was implied earlier in the season that Michael is now a big time drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 3409/11/2011

The finale is this week. Ten episodes this season.

I wanted to love it. But is is a suckfest.

When you strip away all of the main characters, save for Michael, the Patty/Ellen dynamic is pretty boring.

I really don't care about any of these characters now.

I suspect the dead person is the Times reporter, but ultimately I am ambivalent. Whatever happens, the conclusion is supposed to set up a battle royal for Season 5.

If there is one...

by Anonymousreply 3509/11/2011

Agreed - this season has been pretty lackluster. Do they have new writers or producers or something? The show seems to have lost its tension and interesting twists.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2011

[R26] Mer Mer, darling!

Have you gone to your fittings for the Kennedy Center honors? Ragstock wants to know whether you're doing tablecloth or bathroom curtain as the sartorial theme, dearie.

Wish I could talk more, but I have to go to the set and act. Can't rely on a haircut and a wardrobe, Mrs. Thatcher, to do the acting for me. Air kisses!

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2011

I've noticed they use different writers every episode - is this a common thing for this show? %0D %0D The Kessler brothers are still producing; they have written the last two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2011

I just don't understand the Catherine subplot and Patty thinking about her Catholic background ... it doesn't seem to fit in at all with the show's story.

by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2011

I love this season, I'm shocked the finale is this week. It seems like there's a lot to wrap up. I love the High Star plotline - fuck you blackwater or whatever they call themselves now.

The worse plot twist was the french girlfriend's demise. That was bad writing - completely predictable and sophmoric. Other than that, I've enjoyed the writing.

Rose Byrne has never looked lovelier. Her American accent is flawless.

by Anonymousreply 4009/11/2011

Patty's been very quiet all season. No real major maneuvers. I think the last episode we are in for a shocking twist. %0D %0D Season 5 will be all-out war between Patty and Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 4109/11/2011

I was surprised at how well the finale tied up the loose string.

I thought the season was shaky at times but it ended very well.

Loved the witness list.

I kinda wanna fuck her son.

by Anonymousreply 4209/17/2011

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!

I was surprised by how well packaged the last episode was too ... things were a bit dragged out this season, but everything all fell into one place.

Thought the witness list was a brilliant way to end things.

Next season is Ellen vs Patty in the courtroom. Patty was much to subdued this year. No real shocking twists from her until the end. I think next season will be Patty ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 4309/17/2011

I really liked the episode for tying things up, too.

But there was one really stupid plot point that made absolutely no sense.

For drama, they had Patty file that lawsuit without Ellen knowing it, but that made no sense for these reasons:

1. Patty really was jeopardizing Ellen's case and the life of her client for no reason;

2. Ellen would have been on board with filing the lawsuit, too. And would have been glad to help as a screw you to High Star;

3. The "urgency" of filing the suit was COMPLETELY manufactured, as Patty had no idea where her child plaintiff was and filing would only serve to notify High Star how important the kid was to Patty and make it more likely for them to kill or get rid of the kid; and

4. Patty would have been more likely to get her hands on her plaintiff if she had tricked High Star into thinking the case was totally over.

So the big plot device that put Patty and Ellen at odds was really total bullshit. It made no logical or legal sense, would have been a really stupid thing for someone as smart as Patty to do, and was done for nothing more than drama.

I think that is really sloppy writing.

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2011

I didn't quite understand why Patty was doing what she was doing when she did it - the only reason that is plausible is that she deliberately wanted to destroy Ellen. her explanation afterwards was a bit of a turn around and I think it ws meant to be a twist - she's been quiet about her motives towards Ellen al season (avoiding the therapist's question about Ellen until the last episode) and perhaps we were led to think she has been waiting to wipe out Ellen when she actually does want to give her everything. Ellen's rejection hurt Patty.

I think the fact the prodcers only had 10 episodes to work with hurt the show somehow, but they could have used those 10 episodes to give us a it more than dragging out a few plot points over and over again.

Not the best of the seasons, but good.

by Anonymousreply 4509/18/2011

Sorry for the annoying little typos - there is something wrong with my keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 4609/18/2011

How did Patty's son make his money ? He left with nothing and now he's being driven around in a limo.

by Anonymousreply 4709/18/2011

Has Michael Nouri played a very big part in Damages?

If so, which season?

I enjoy watching him, and will buy the seasons in which he participated, if available.

by Anonymousreply 4809/18/2011

Season 4 is NOT available on Netflix. They're shooting Glenn from KANSAS this season. It makes Lucille Ball's in "Mame" shots look like a forensic video.

by Anonymousreply 4909/18/2011

It was implied that he became a successful drug dealer, r47.

by Anonymousreply 5009/18/2011

r48, Nouri recurs in the role of Patty's husband Phil throughout all four seasons. In the first and second, he is a minor supporting character, but gets a subplot in the third when his character is caught cheating on Patty. He appears once in the forth, three years (in plot time) after they have divorced.

He is not a major character.

But buy the seasons anyway - you won't be disappointed by the rest of the cast. Ted Danson shines as the complex Arthur Frobisher, and Glenn Close is just fantastic as the chilling Patty Hewes. You just don't believe what avenues the writers take this character in.

What I like most about the program is they don't hit it over the head that women are the movers and shakers of the story. Patty's never done the "I am ruthless because I had to be in a man's world" speech that has become cliched. Patty is just a powerful person, as is Ellen in her own right. Sexual role reversals define the stories, but they are very understated (Ellen becomes a vigilante over her fiance's murder instead of the other way around; even this season, we saw Chris Messina play a hostage the entire run while Ellen worked to save him).

by Anonymousreply 5109/18/2011

I think you can watch the season 4 episodes off the Direct TV site if you are a subscriber; ther than that, we have been able to download them off Itunes here in Canada. They should be out on DVD soon because the first run is over.

by Anonymousreply 5209/18/2011

R48

Nouri had more airtime in Season 1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 5309/18/2011

It's on Netflix in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2011

Here r48:

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2011

Also for r48 - Michael Nouri as the sexiest Dracula ever:

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2011

Season 4 is now available on Netflix, dvd and streaming. Just finished the whole thing today. Started out a little too subdued for my taste but picked up in the end although it's not as good as Seasons 1-3.

Looking forward to the final season with Ryan Phillipe.

by Anonymousreply 5710/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.