Because there are many germs there.

by Anonymousreply 208/06/2011

Because it's not Chile.

by Anonymousreply 308/06/2011

could be worse, try... United Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 408/06/2011

Because Michigan was already taken.

by Anonymousreply 508/06/2011

After the fall of the Berlin Wall there was a David Letterman Top Ten List of potential names for the reunified Germany, and I seem to recall that Number One was "The Love Shack."

by Anonymousreply 708/06/2011

Germany is an English name. Ask an English speaking county why they still use that name for Deutchland. (see r6)

by Anonymousreply 808/06/2011

And in Spanish it's Alemania.

But then Spanish is different for just about everything. Estados Unidos, Ingleterra, etc.

by Anonymousreply 908/06/2011

Well the Greeks call Greece Ellas, while the Greeks call Switzerland Elvetia. The Swiss call their country Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, or Svizra, depending on which language they speak. Which one should we call it?

by Anonymousreply 1008/06/2011

It was going to be Hitlerville but they thought people might confuse it with Hooterville.

by Anonymousreply 1108/06/2011

[quote]The Swiss call their country Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, or Svizra, depending on which language they speak.

Actually, they call it Confoederatio Helvetica (Latin for Swiss Federation) which is why their little oval bumper stickers say "CH")

by Anonymousreply 1208/06/2011

Nothing wrong with Switzerland, my aunt lives there and she wouldn't dream of going back to her own country. Her husband is Swiss - german variety that is! At least they protect their own interests! Besides she introduced me to continental chocolate. Yum Yum. Germany is actually comprised of several kingdoms united under Bismarck! All have differing cultures.

by Anonymousreply 1308/06/2011

Interestingly, Germany has more different names than nearly any European nation: Duitsland, Tyskland, Germania, Allemagne, Saksa, Niemcy, Deguo, and of course, Naziland.

by Anonymousreply 1408/06/2011

Why are you asking OP?

by Anonymousreply 1508/06/2011

oohh R6, you must be kicking yourself that you are one whole hour LATE to being R1 on this thread too!

by Anonymousreply 1608/06/2011

America should be called Vinland or Florida, its two first names.

by Anonymousreply 1708/08/2011

"Germania" was the term the Greeks and Romans used.

I wouldn't suggest calling it "Naziland", as they're still pretty sensitive about all that.

by Anonymousreply 1908/08/2011

The country you should be asking about is Turkey. That name makes their country a joke. They went from "Ottoman Empire", which sounded powerful and classy, to "Turkey"? Even "Turkland" would be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 2008/08/2011

Whet Istanbul?

by Anonymousreply 2108/09/2011

Also known as Holes and Poles.

by Anonymousreply 2208/09/2011

In Germany, it's known as, "Bundesrepublik Deutschland"

by Anonymousreply 2308/09/2011

America was named after Amerigo Vespucci. It might just as well have been named Vespucciland.

by Anonymousreply 2408/09/2011

Hitlerville!

by Anonymousreply 2508/09/2011

What a Germans such sexual freaks?

by Anonymousreply 2608/09/2011

[quote]Actually, they call it Confoederatio Helvetica (Latin for Swiss Federation) which is why their little oval bumper stickers say "CH")%0D %0D Actually, we are not.

by Anonymousreply 2708/09/2011

r28, most of those people are dead and long gone. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 2908/09/2011

R28: does this mean we get to blame you personally for Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Based on your fucked-up issues, I believe it does.

by Anonymousreply 3008/09/2011

Oh, god, here we go again...

by Anonymousreply 3108/09/2011

Because English speaking people called it Germany before the war, West and East Germany after the war, and thought that calling it Germany again after reunification was the most reasonable thing to do.%0D %0D Of course some other names were considered:%0D %0D Peoria-am-Rein%0D %0D North Tunisia%0D %0D Schnitzel Unter Scandia%0D %0D Larynx%0D %0D Elkasommerland%0D %0D Sentabergerland%0D %0D Fassbinderepic%0D %0D Heideggeria%0D %0D Neibelungenland%0D %0D Holy Roman Empire Part Deux%0D %0D Wurstershire%0D %0D Krautestan%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3208/09/2011

And my favorite Little Marbella

by Anonymousreply 3308/09/2011

You mean the Fourth Reich und the Upcoming Fodder

by Anonymousreply 3408/09/2011

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and Americans systematically slaughtered all the Natives, and enslaved blacks. Let's not even get into Stalin, someone Hitler could never touch when it came to genocide. r35 must go up to people of different ethnicities, and just start fights with them. lmao.

by Anonymousreply 3608/09/2011

Are you brain damaged, R35? Only 5-10% of the current German population were adults during WWII.

So yeah, if you're stupid enough to assert that the entire German population was directly involved in the Holocaust, I'm crazy enough to accuse you of personally bombing Nagasaki.

Go read a history book, read what false equivalence really means for extra credit, & get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 3708/09/2011

Sorry, I meant to say that I agree with R28.

by Anonymousreply 3908/09/2011

In about 50 to 75 years from now it will be called "Germanistan".

by Anonymousreply 4008/09/2011

Doucheland has a nice ring to it...

by Anonymousreply 4208/09/2011

I thought it was named by the Romans after Germanicus--one of their leaders (or something).

by Anonymousreply 4308/09/2011

Turks and Kurds have bad names. They live near each other, so they could be confused as "Kirks and Turds."

by Anonymousreply 4408/09/2011

Why is Greece called Greece?%0D And why is the former Soviet Republic of Georgia called Georgia? Its real name is nothing like Georgia. %0D And why is Finland called that when the Finn don't call it that?%0D And what about India? And Thailand? And China? And Japan?

by Anonymousreply 4508/09/2011

Why is the USA called the United States? I've never seen a cuntry less united.

by Anonymousreply 4608/09/2011

On a related topic, why are half of Americans unable to find Europe on a map?

by Anonymousreply 4708/09/2011

r38 = copypasta from another thread in which his demented ass got repeatedly kicked.

by Anonymousreply 4808/09/2011

I say we rename it. My vote: "Bob."

by Anonymousreply 4908/10/2011

r38, have you ever been to Germany?

If you have, you would know that the nation's processing, soul-searching and heartfelt, intelligent commemoration of its atrocities is a testament to a people's determination to overcome the shame of its recent history.

I wish I could say the same thing about my country, the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 5008/10/2011

Turks and Kurds and Jutes Better Skurry...

by Anonymousreply 5108/10/2011

Love it when Americans, who have butchered millions in the name of "liberty & justice", but hey, they HAD to do it, are getting all mightier than thou about those TERRIBLE Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 5208/10/2011

R28/35 is all worked up from having seen that recent documentary, "Captain America."

by Anonymousreply 5308/10/2011

After living in Germany for seven years and visiting Germany on and off for many more, R50, I just can't agree with you.

The rise of neo-Nazi groups all over Germany and the number of Holocaust apologists is downright scary. The "soul-searching" has always been more official, i.e., from the government anyway. Many, many Germans have remained privately sympathetic to the Nazi movement.

by Anonymousreply 5408/10/2011

Don't single out Germans. Human beings in general are defective and capable of all manner of depravity. All it takes is the perfect storm and god knows what hell awaits. Just look at history.

by Anonymousreply 5508/10/2011

Germans are among the most thoughtful people on the planet today. Americans seem more likely to allow a holocaust today than Germans. Americans won't stand up for anything or have a rally for anything, and look at the moronic leaders Americans are electing: Michelle Bachmann?? Sarah Palin??? Rick Perry??? Tim Pawlenty??? These people are insane!

by Anonymousreply 5608/10/2011

I certainly wouldn't categorize Germans as any more Nazi-like than, say, the average Datalounge poster.

by Anonymousreply 5708/10/2011

[quote]Actually, they call it Confoederatio Helvetica (Latin for Swiss Federation)%0D %0D Well, no, they don't "call" it that; that's just the official compromise for the international licence plate country code.

by Anonymousreply 5808/10/2011

R58: And a brilliant compromise it is for a country with at least 3 official languages.

by Anonymousreply 5908/10/2011

[quote]Unlike other countries (like Germany), we Americans fight wars for FREEDOM.

Is that what you're calling oil these days? Freedom?

by Anonymousreply 6108/10/2011

[quote]Unlike other countries (like Germany), we Americans fight wars for [bold]EXXONMOBIL[/bold].

Fixed your typo for you.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 6208/10/2011

DEUTSCHLAND!!

by Anonymousreply 6310/31/2012

Because calling it Wiener Schnitzel would give you the wrong idea.

by Anonymousreply 6410/31/2012

R28 and R30 are right. Even the current generation are people raised by those who were raised by the citizens of the Third Reich.

There are still people alive who suffered at the hands of the nazis and the Third Reich and there are still those alive who perpetrated the horrors of that time of evil and depravity. And there are still enough morons floating around who take pride in the Third Reich or try to excuse the country.

While there came a time when it took more courage than the majority of Germans had to stand up to Hitler, there was a time when it was possible to stop it but the German people were either too stupid or too vain or too craven to do anything about it while there was still time.

I love much about Germany but it's as if they need to be on eternal parole.

by Anonymousreply 6510/31/2012

Bullshit, r65.

As an American who's spent a good deal of time in Germany, I can tell you definitively that a Fourth Reich is far more likely to happen in the God-and-Guns US today (and even more likely to happen in Russia) than in Germany.

Just because the Americans and the Japanese and the English (did you know that they invented the concentration camp?) have been better able to deny their historical atrocities doesn't mean the Germans should be the ones "on probation".

How many of the idiots posting vitriol here have ever even met a real live German, rather than a Hollywood movie caricature?

by Anonymousreply 6610/31/2012

R14 And in Italian, the adjective (and demonym) "German" is [bold]tedesco[/bold]. I was always curious as to why there were so many different names, too.

by Anonymousreply 6710/31/2012

The only war the USA ever fought in that was for freedom was WW2. Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Afghanistan, Iraq and many other covert wars not officially talked about (East Timor, Cambodia, Cuba etc.), are/were all staged for American Imperialism and Control.

by Anonymousreply 6810/31/2012

R54, I doubt you actually lived in Germany. I lived in Germany for 30 years. And while I met several people matching your description of neo nazi Germans, 99% of Germans I met were nothing like it. You sound like you have read about this topic, but you did not live in that country.

by Anonymousreply 6910/31/2012

[quote]99% of Germans I met were nothing like it.

99% of people in the world don't want trouble and do what it takes to stay out of it.

That means Naziism in the 30s and anti-Naziism in the 2000s.

This is what makes people so scary.

by Anonymousreply 7010/31/2012

I got a big kick out of R9's post - the names for European countries are entirely cognate with the English, except for the glaring exception of 'Alemania'.

by Anonymousreply 7110/31/2012

[quote]The only war the USA ever fought in that was for freedom was WW2. Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Afghanistan, Iraq and many other covert wars not officially talked about (East Timor, Cambodia, Cuba etc.), are/were all staged for American Imperialism and Control.

Did you ever hear about the troubles in the former Yugoslavia? What about U.S. military action there do you think was staged for imperialism and control? Or did you think the U.S. was there for oil?

by Anonymousreply 7210/31/2012

I've met Germans -- bright, well educated, hard workers, but still scary.

First, they are NOT ashamed of the Third Reich. They pay only the thinnest of lip service against and change the subject.

Will NEVER speak of the Holocaust. I am pretty sure that most are anti-semites.

They did STOP Hitler when they had the chance because they supported Hitler by and large. Certainly it wasn't a case of everyone from Hindenburg to the last kraut being for Hitler.

But, a majority were ...

by Anonymousreply 7310/31/2012

R72 USA had a strategic interest in Yugoslavia. Bondsteel military base in Kosovo?

by Anonymousreply 7410/31/2012

Smoke a joint and watch "Triumph Of The Will."

You'll never be the same again.

by Anonymousreply 7510/31/2012

[quote]First, they are NOT ashamed of the Third Reich. They pay only the thinnest of lip service against and change the subject.

You're deranged.

by Anonymousreply 7610/31/2012

Camp Bondsteel was built in order to house peacekeeping forces after Kosovo declared independence in 1999. We had no interests in the area prior to the NATO bombing in 1999.

We went there in the interest of freedom. If you want to contest that, then, please, tell me what vital U.S. interest in the area Bondsteel was built to protect? What glory or treasure did the United States gain from its intervention?

by Anonymousreply 7710/31/2012

They have the BEST fetish bars in Germany. I still remember fondly.. bending over at the bar and being fucked with a beer bottle while everyone looked on.. such sweet sweet memories. The Germans are such lovely people.

by Anonymousreply 7810/31/2012

Class, R78.

by Anonymousreply 7910/31/2012

[quote]Camp Bondsteel

Sounds like a gay leatherman resort.

by Anonymousreply 8010/31/2012

r73 is deranged indeed, and he is projecting.

I'm German, and I haven't encountered a single Nazi sympathizer in Germany in 30 plus years, i.e. for the whole of my life.

The reason few Germans won't speak about the Holocaust is because it's painful and embarrassing for us - not because we agree with it.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8110/31/2012

Suddenly I feel like a beer

by Anonymousreply 8210/31/2012

^^ I obviously meant: "few Germans will speak".

And r73 is still a tiresome idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8310/31/2012

Don't mess with the Germans. Mercedes has secretly designed a microwave that seats 300.

With all the turks in Germany I think Germany will rename itself Gerky.

by Anonymousreply 8410/31/2012

r84, I respect your opinion. But, I stand by mine - the Germans I have met have not struck me as overwhelmed with their past. And, I believe, that if Hitler had won the war, they would have no problems getting their share of the spoils.

by Anonymousreply 8510/31/2012

This is why I love Trader Joes.

by Anonymousreply 8610/31/2012

Whatever happened to Prussia? Wasn't that the previous name for Germany?

by Anonymousreply 8710/31/2012

r87 Prussia was a kingdom within the lands that became Germany. The capital of Prussia was Berlin and Prussians dominated the unification of Germany. Parts of it now are in Poland and renamed an unpronounceable string of consonants (see Gdansk--Danzig) as a result of WW2. Even worse, Konigsberg, now Kaliningrad is technically a part of Russia. Has world history been discontinued in school now?

by Anonymousreply 8811/01/2012

The Ottoman Empire covered much of the Balkans, the Middle East and North Africa. The Anatolian peninsula had been referred to as Turkey since the 11th century.

by Anonymousreply 9011/01/2012

How many of you feel any guilt for dropping two atom bombs on Japan? Denying blacks basic civil rights well into the 1960's? Carpet bombing North Vietnam?

Why on earth would a young German feel any real guilt for what happened 60 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 9111/01/2012

Did you know that David Hasselhoff is quite popular in Germany? I think that in time they will find this fact quite difficult to talk about also.

by Anonymousreply 9211/01/2012

KUCKUCK!! wie gehts euch in amerika?

by Anonymousreply 9311/01/2012

Ganz gut.

by Anonymousreply 9411/01/2012

Exactly, R91!

by Anonymousreply 9511/01/2012

All the sane DLers must still be without power after Sandy, judging by responses like r96 (spent 10 minutes in a German gay bar and now calls Germans "krauts" but fetishizes their "master race beauty" and uniforms) and r97 (obviously a close friend of Mr. Ratzinger, since he knows for a fact that the latter joined the Hitler Youth at 15 or so solely for the purpose of gay-bashing).

Sandy, you bitch! Now we have to deal with this drivel until the lights go back on. Say, doesn't "Sandy" sound suspiciously like a German name, btw?)

by Anonymousreply 9811/01/2012

Exactly, r98.

r96 blabbers about the 'hidden Nazi tendencies' of others, only to deliver this gem:

'the genuine breathtaking master race beauty of a few, is what saves them'.

Well, it doesn't save you from sounding like a Nazi yourself. Master race? You're quite the freak, r98.

Secondly, r97 is the same troll who pops up in all German-related threads with the same drivel every time, because his relatives had been murdered by the Nazis.

That is horrible indeed, r97, and it will forever shame Germany as a nation, re her past. But your obsessive need to visit revenge on the Germans of today (on DL of all places) does make you sound crazy, and - quite racist.

You employ the same racist categories the Nazis did (Sippenschuld, Blutschuld, and all that), and Hitler would have been proud of you.

Finally, r97, Germany has done more for her gay citizens than the US has ever done for gay Americans.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 9911/01/2012

Give it up, r100.

Gays in Germany lead a peaceful life here, can enter civil unions, aren't harrassed in public, nor are they insulted by abominations such as Mitt Romney/Coulter/Bachmann, without the press doign nothing.

The second most powerful politician in our country is married to a man.

Get back to me when the US - or Saudia Arabia - have accomplished these things.

And even when the US does, it'll be years and years after Germany and the rest of the western world already implemented pro-gay legislature - that was binding for their entire nations (and not just a few territories, as is the case in the US).

If you sit in the glasshouse.... you know the saying.

Except when you're a dumb, racist American, then you throw that stone anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10111/01/2012

^^ "without the press doing anything", is what I meant.

And it's true.

The shit that goes down in the US and remains uncommented by the press, or worse, with the press complicit, would be unthinkable in today's Germany.

Just recently, our CONSERVATIVE secretary of family affairs suggested introducing full same-sex marriage, and it was widely approved by the media, fairly discussed in television programmes, and so forth. (But opposed by the catholic wing of the conservative party).

Not a word of bile by the press, though.

Gays are largely protected in Germany, and fair game in the US.

by Anonymousreply 10211/01/2012

Germany bans Gay marriage

Germany bans Gay adoptions

Germany bans Gay surrogacy

Two of the three government parties, the conservative Christian parties Christian Democratic Union and Christian Social Union, still are opposed to full LGBT rights. The third government party, the liberal Free Democratic Party, supports LGBT's equality.

German registered partnerships do not enjoy the same tax benefits as marriages.

The USA is worse, but not everyone on DL is American.

by Anonymousreply 10311/01/2012

"A thousand years will pass and the shame of Germany will not be erased."

Hans Frank

" After Hitler's accession to power in 1933, Frank became Nazi Germany's chief jurist and Governor-General of occupied Poland's 'General Government' territory. During his tenure (1939–1945), he instituted a reign of terror against the civilian population and became directly involved in the mass murder of Polish Jews. At the Nuremberg trials, he was found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity and was executed."

by Anonymousreply 10411/01/2012

Here's a name--"OOO--EEE-OO-A'A, TING TANG WALLA WALLA BING BANG". The capital in Berlin stays the same except that as an additional punishment Germans must hop naked down the street so we can see the flopping tits of the women and the flopping dicks of the men. Better yet, let's call it Kangaroo-land from now on...........

by Anonymousreply 10511/02/2012

r104 = arguing for racial guilt makes you a Nazi yourself.

There is no racial guilt.

Germany is forever shamed for a thousand years, that is true.

But those Germans born after 1945 have nothing to do with it personally, just as every American born after the Civil War has nothing to do with pre-war slavery on a personal level.

Something tells me you don't think the American South, the Carribean and Brazil will be shamed for a thousand years, for abducting and murdering millions of Africans, tearing families apart, torturing people, hunting them down, and making them live miserable lives.

Quite selective you are. And - racist.

Sensitivity re the past, and responsibility as to the long-lasting effects of the misdeeds of our forefathers is one thing.

But to argue for personal guilt of their progeny is to argue like a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 10611/02/2012

r103: I never said that Germany was perfect. In fact, one of the parties you mentioned - the CDU - agrees things aren't perfect for LGBTs either.

It bears repeating: the conservative secretary of family affairs has recently pushed for gay marriage. Needless to say, the Social Democrats and the Green Party are in favor of it too - just like in France, it's only a matter of time till they get in power, and they will implement the rest.

Your implication that Germany is still fascist at heart, and that's why we don't have full equality is quite simply ... wrong.

That would make France fascist at heart, and Italy fascist at heart, and Luxembourg fascist at heart, and the UK fascist at heart.

The problem with these countries is the Catholics and/or social conservatives who oppose equality. But they hardly make up the entire populace of their respective nations. And being a social conservative does not equal being a fascist. Sorry.

All these countries (save Italy), including Germany, protect their gay citizens better than the US does re gay Americans.

You are sitting in the proverbial glasshouse. If any western country is going down a fascist road, it is the USA.

by Anonymousreply 10711/02/2012

[quote][R96] blabbers about the 'hidden Nazi tendencies' of others, only to deliver this gem: 'the genuine breathtaking master race beauty of a few, is what saves them'. Well, it doesn't save you from sounding like a Nazi yourself. Master race? You're quite the freak, [R98].

Sorry to break it to you bitch, but (a) I'm not PC when it clashes with personal truth and (b) I've seen Germans so jawdropping in their beauty, including an ex-boyfriend, they looked internally lit like they had fluoescent tubes up their arse. My boyfriend was so prototypical he was nicknamed 'The Little German' as a boy and as a man was a Henreich Himmler wet dream: platinium haired, blue x-ray eyed, and satin over steel muscle. I once combed his body inch by inch to see if i could find the tiniest freckle, mole, pjmple or scar. Nothing. He was scarily physically perfect. Combine that wifh the Germanic dominance and Wagarian yearnings, and yeah: I think the term master race for some Germanics is totally warranted. No wonder so many of their victims looked in awe: they can be awesome. Of course the majority of the population look like shit, but there's this incredible minority....

by Anonymousreply 10811/02/2012

r108 = Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 10911/02/2012

all those thick uncut German cocks YUMMY

by Anonymousreply 11011/02/2012

Ever read Funeral Rites, R108? No, of course not. You're bone stupid. I'm as much a nazi as Genet was while writing that cumspattered masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 11111/02/2012

r111, you're certainly too stupid to reference the right poster.

You meant r109, not r108. r108 was your own post.

Your fevered rantings and inability to identify the correct interlocutor speak volumes about you.

Not only are you a Nazi, you're also a name dropper, a poser, and you've got a few screws loose.

by Anonymousreply 11211/02/2012

Expecting modern day Germans to shoulder the guilt of WW2 (and WW1) is like expecting modern day white Americans to shoulder the guilt of slavery.

Move on, people, move on.

by Anonymousreply 11311/02/2012

Thank you, r91.

by Anonymousreply 11411/02/2012

So mentioning Jean Genet on DL now qualifies one as a 'name dropper'? Fuck me dead! The Time of the Morons really is upon us.

Like any sensible fag, Tom of Finland had no trouble loathing the politics of nazis, while admiring the beauty of Germans in uniform - and fucking them as a young man in occupied Finland.

By refusing to distinguish between personal taste and racism, the 'german' on this thread shows himself to be either one of those ridiculous ideological germans, or one of those Jewy McJew jews or camp followers who wave the anti-semitic card at anything and everything, so actually making themselves the worst possible enemy of every sane jew and german.

by Anonymousreply 11511/02/2012

Time for your meds, r115.

Any thread about Germany will bring out the crazies in no time, you can bet your house on that.

They're lurking. Just whisper the word "Germany" into the wind, and watch it unfold.

by Anonymousreply 11611/02/2012

"Germany is forever shamed for a thousand years, that is true."

Then we are in agreement r106. I am not advocating racial guilt at all, nor collective guilt.

I only put in the description of Hans Frank from Wikipedia in case other posters forgot who he was. Not because today's Germans are guilty of the mass murders on the Eastern Front.

Sometimes it takes a monster to know another monster - Stalin's Order of the Day before the final assualt on Berlin - "Remember, only the unborn are innocent."

If Stalin gives Germans born after 1945 a pass, who I am to argue.

by Anonymousreply 11711/02/2012

Why is it even harped on at all? Endlessly.

Leopold II, Lenin & Stalin, Hirohito, Pol Pot, and Turkey collectively killed infinitely more people.

There's even a big gold statue in the centre of Brussels of Leopold holding an African baby.

Which is the equivalent of one in Berlin of Hitler holding a jewish one.

Unlike Israel, the Congoese have MOVED ON, and haven't used their genocide as blackmail to steal territory from others and the money of American taxpayers.

Jews need to move on too. Shit like the Ann Frank house is just Princess Di murder porn for fat tourists.

by Anonymousreply 11811/02/2012

I love Ronhill13 on Cam4. He's from Germany, or whatever you call it.

by Anonymousreply 11911/02/2012

You're right, OP. Let's just call it Virusey.

by Anonymousreply 12011/02/2012

There is still much shame in having German roots. I have never heard of a 2nd or 3rd generation North American celebrity repatriating/celebrating their German roots. It happens with British, Scottish, Irish, Italian, French, Spanish, Czech, Hungarian,Swedish etc. all the time. But never with German roots.

That tells you something. Mind you, I don't think Germany really encourages those with German bloodlines to re-repatriate.

by Anonymousreply 12111/03/2012

[quote]There is still much shame in having German roots. I have never heard of a 2nd or 3rd generation North American celebrity repatriating/celebrating their German roots. It happens with British, Scottish, Irish, Italian, French, Spanish, Czech, Hungarian,Swedish etc. all the time. But never with German roots.

I don't know how much of that is shame, and how much is due to the fact that Germany is actually a fairly new country.

I grew up in a German town (German was the language of the schools until WWI), but people didn't identify as German as much as they identified as Prussian, Bavarian, Rhinelander, and so on. Even today people still say they're from "south of Munich" or name some obscure little village, instead of saying they're German.

In my town there separate social clubs, bars, and churches for each little region, and each group tended to stick to themselves--the concept of being a "German" really never clicked with them.

by Anonymousreply 12211/03/2012

r121, Sandra Bullock never misses an opportunity to mention she's German, and she spoke IN GERMAN at both the Oscars and Golden Globes, in front of an American audience.

To maximise her cute factor.

Leonardo DiCaprio too has mentioned his German grandma numerous times.

That renders your arguments somewhat moot, I would say.

Also, what US celebrity has "re-patriated" to Sweden, Hungary or Spain? Names, please.

by Anonymousreply 12311/03/2012

That sounds like a defensive thing to me. If I wanted to promote German culture after the Nazis, I would definitely be looking to promote generations who fled the country before Naziism as proof that the two were not synonymous.

by Anonymousreply 12411/03/2012

Right, but since WWII, German culture has been technology. That's the image they're projecting.

Fuck, Heidi and old guys wearing lederhosen, if think Germany you think Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Siemens, and Porsche. That's the image Germany wants, not Bavarian beer maids with big tits, and certainly not Hitler or guys with dueling scars.

by Anonymousreply 12511/03/2012

Ah yes, the ramblings of Leo and Sandra negate any discussion otherwise. LOL!

When World War II began it hadn't even been a 100 years since the German sovereign states and tribes were united under Bismarck. It was more liek 60 years. People did still relate more to their individual areas and cultures. Despite nazi insistance the country wasn't one homogenized state.

I think you will find that celebration of one's roots can depend on why you or your ancestors left the homeland in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 12611/03/2012

It's called "Germany" for the same reason it has always been called "Germany." Whatever that reason was. Nothing has changed which might affect what we call it.

We're no longer calling it "East Germany" and/or "West Germany."

by Anonymousreply 12711/03/2012

[quote]We're no longer calling it "East Germany" and/or "West Germany."

We call it what it is: The Fatherland. *_*

by Anonymousreply 12811/03/2012

r126, sweetheart, I never said a discussion of Germany's past is negated by Sandy and Leo celebrating their German roots.

I did make the point that Germany no longer is as taboo as it once was, and I did address the post at r121:

"I have never heard of a 2nd or 3rd generation North American celebrity repatriating/celebrating their German roots"

Now r121 has heard of a 2nd or 3rd generation North American celebrity celebrating their German roots:

one of them happens to be the biggest female star in Hollywood, the other arguably the biggest male star in Hollywood.

Apart from that, we still need to know who those US celebrities are that "re-patriated" to Hungary, the Czech Republic, Sweden, and Spain. r121: names, please!

by Anonymousreply 12911/04/2012

For the record, every German living in Germany today identifies with Germany first, and his local region second.

Regionalism is stronger in the south, especially in Bavaria, but even a Bavarian traveling abroad would say: "I'm German", not "I'm Bavarian".

If you think otherwise, you don't know Germany, and you are romanticizing cliches.

Secondly, to answer OP (not that he's likely to read this at this point): Germany is called "Germany" in English because of Tacitus' book "Germania", which described the tribes north of the Rhine, c 100 AD.

Tacitus = pre-eminent Roman historian, who'd traveled to the Rhine, and who's bequeathed us the only written account of the German peoples.

In Italian, the name is still "Germania".

The French call Germany "Allemagne" because of the Aleman tribe, which inhabited the southwestern corner of what is today Germany - closest to what is today France.

The German name "Deutschland" is derived from the word "diutisc", which described the family of languages spoken by the Germanic tribes. That includes the Netherlands, and that's why Dutch is called "Dutch" in English.

by Anonymousreply 13011/04/2012

[quote] German living in Germany

That signature was wholly redundant.

by Anonymousreply 13111/04/2012

r131, you sound like a stereotypical German.

by Anonymousreply 13211/04/2012

If anyone is interested: the English word "taciturn" is derived from said Roman historian, Tacitus.

Who was known to be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 13311/04/2012

Well r108, you do know that the "aryan" type you speak of is a dime a dozen in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Estonia, no? The type you are describing in Germany, Belgium and neighboring France that the Nazis idolized are actually farm peasant stock that never lived in the cities and were uneducated. They stayed in their villages for generations and never struck out as pioneers and game changers. This can be said for most people who are of just one nationality. They think this makes then pure and elite but it really just points to unadventurous peasant ancestors who never had the gumption to go out and explore this world. They played it safe and stayed put. This is not a trait to be proud of and brag about.

by Anonymousreply 13411/12/2012

The current Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, would like you to know how important Jesus is in her life. She also, obviously, does not think Gays deserve full equality.

by Anonymousreply 13511/12/2012

I watched the documentary "Hitlers Children". It is shocking to realize how many Germans still today, are predestined to a repeat of this. The son of a German Concentration Camp leader even accused a room full of older Germans of still being sympathetic to Nazi ideology.

by Anonymousreply 13611/15/2012

r136 has never spent any significant amount of time in Germany.

I recently saw a tv program that told me Americans want slavery back!

That is shocking. We must keep a watch on the USA.

by Anonymousreply 13711/15/2012

Until Germany passes full equality for its gay citizens, the Paragraph 175 bigot reputation, is still applicable.

by Anonymousreply 13811/15/2012

Paragraph 175 was done away with decades ago.

Try again, loon.

by Anonymousreply 13911/15/2012

The legislation was done away with in 1994, but the discriminatory polices against Gays, was transferred into new legislation. In 2006, the Euro commission even slammed Germany for failure to pass basic work place protection required as a member of the EU, making them in violation of EU human rights laws. They did agree to pass basic employment protections after this pressure, but still fail in many other grey areas.

I have worked with GLAAD/HRC/Ammesty and NLGTF for 15 years. If you want to defend bigots, try The Free Republic, you will feel more at home there R139.

by Anonymousreply 14011/15/2012

R65 -- "I love much about Germany but it's as if they need to be on eternal parole"

"deutsche Schuld" {German guilt} -- the idea that all Germans [this includes non-native German speakers, ethnic descendants of Germans, and actual Germans] should personally feel limitless guilt and perpetual shame over every last event occurring in, around, above, beneath, and within Germany from January 30th, 1933 until May 2nd, 1945, to atone in perpetuity plus 5 minutes for the war crimes of the Third Reich. As applied by the self-anointed righteous {READ: anti-German bigots} crying "Nazi Nazi Nazi" where none exist, deutsche Schuld becomes the faux-intellectual weapon of choice to silence anyone seen as promulgating or perpetuating German ideology. This includes any idea, from "Brahms was a better composer than Saint-Saëns" to beneficial financial/economic concepts created by German economists/bankers, who are obviously trying to take over the world, as that is what Germans do when unrestrained/unleashed/not supervised. To dumb it down -- it's a STFU to any pro-German sentiment, perceived or actual.

by Anonymousreply 14111/15/2012

r140, I'm not suggesting the current conservative government isn't lacking, re full equality.

But the fact remains: you can live a carefree life as a gay German. We don't have Matthew Sheppard incidents. Those are unheard of here.

Germany has had openly gay mayors in Berlin and Hamburg; Munich is being co-ruled by a gay party; and our vice chancellor is married to a man. Our CONSERVATIVE secretary of family affairs wants to introduce gay marriage.

Compare that with the situation in Italy, Britain, Ireland, or the US.

The hysteria on this thread is generated by ideas what Germany must be like based on her history. People are thirsting for revenge, when they learn about the atrocities committed by Germany 1933 - 45.

That's understandle, but it's also quixotic and ultimately rather primitive.

You would say the same thing about a German who was resentful / revengeful towards a random American in 2012, because of slavery or the genocide his nation committed against Native Americans.

And neither of those two ethnicities has lived happily ever after in the US.

by Anonymousreply 14311/15/2012

If Americans still refused to legalize interracial marriage, you can damn well believe people would be bringing up the history of American slavery daily and would be right in doing that.

by Anonymousreply 14411/15/2012

r144, Germany has civil unions, which the US doesn't even grant all its gay citizens.

Try again, hon.

As a gay German I can tell you that no gays in this country feel discriminated against.

All the rest is American hysteria, based on ideas what Germany must be like, because of her fascist past.

Hysteria, prejudices and racism - on your part.

by Anonymousreply 14511/15/2012

Some US states have full equality. 4 more this election. Not 1 single Germany state has this.

As gay Germans you are not fighting hard enough. Reversing your relatives past, requires more than lip service and excuses. It requires that Germany become THE world leader in fighting anti-gay (and anti-Jewish) bigotry....which Germany is most certainly not today.

by Anonymousreply 14611/15/2012

"Some US states have full equality. 4 more this election"

But they're worth NIL in Missouri, Idaho or Virginia. Those are sham "equal rights", as they're not federal.

Germany is far, far ahead of the US. Deal with it.

Also, single German states (which aren't states as in the US, but Bundeslaender) cannot introduce gay marriage on their own. It's a federal thing.

As for the rest of your post: what if gay Germans are happy with the way things are here?

That would render you nothing but a busybody. Which you are.

Overseas busybodies deciding what's right for a culture they don't even know. No wonder everybody hates you.

Finally, gays have been hounded by the catholic church for centuries, in almost all European countries. The UK doesn't grant gay marriage. Italy, another formerly fascist country, has zero gay rights.

It bears repeating: you're taking out your primitve need for revenge on a country that is nothing like you say it is.

Those sitting in the glasshouse... should shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 14711/15/2012

"4 more this election"

Wrong!

3 more this election.

Minnesota only decided marriage wasn't just between a man and a woman. But they grant ZERO marriage or civil union rights to their gay citizens. None!

If someone like me, a foreigner on a different continent, is able to gather - and remember - the facts correctly, while you, an American, is not... then nothing more needs to be said about the rest of this discussion.

You are hysterical, as pointed out earlier.

by Anonymousreply 14811/15/2012

Japan went from Nippon to Japan and was forced to change their flag under American military command. I think the fact that Germany was reconstructed under European/UK command has something to do with the light touch that was applied in contrast.

by Anonymousreply 14911/15/2012

VESPUSSYLAND

by Anonymousreply 15011/15/2012

OP, you're that guy who's dating the academic, right? Be. Honest.

by Anonymousreply 15111/15/2012

The twelve Romanesque churches of Cologne.

by Anonymousreply 15211/16/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 15310/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.