Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Balance''s Ties to Fiercely Anti-Gay Politics

You might know New Balance as the major brand of shoes and athletic wear found at marathons, road races, and gyms around the country.

Here's what you might not know about the company: their Chairman, James Davis, has given upwards of $500,000 to Mitt Romney's campaign for President -- the same Mitt Romney who just signed a viciously anti-gay pledge from the National Organization for Marriage that amounts to a full-on assault on the civil rights of LGBT Americans.

New Balance's Davis was revealed as a major donor to Romney's campaign this week, after a filing with the Federal Election Commission disclosed a number of Romney's top supporters. With a $500,000 donation, Davis is quite the Romney backer. And as such, his cool half million is going to support a Presidential campaign that has taken a sharp and increasingly anti-gay turn.

Which is why it's time to send New Balance a message asking whether they stand by their Chairperson's donation to an extremely anti-gay politician who wants to take marriage rights away for same-sex couples. Send the company a message now.

The pledge Romney signed this past week, from the (officially dubbed a hate group) National Organization for Marriage, is particularly cruel, in that it argues that LGBT families should be broken apart, that same-sex marriage should be banned in the U.S. Constitution, and that married couples in places like Washington, D.C. should have their relationships voided.

But it gets even worse. When Mitt Romney signed the pledge, he agreed to -- should he win the 2012 presidential race -- appoint judges and an Attorney General supportive of banning same-sex marriage, and to appoint a Presidential Commission to investigate LGBT rights supporters.

And the Chairman of New Balance is happy to give a candidate who supports this anti-gay platform half a million dollars? So much for New Balance being known for its shoes. It's now known as the company with the Chairman who'll give $500,000 to fund an extremely anti-gay candidate for President.

Send New Balance a message that this type of political support for divisive, anti-gay politics is unacceptable. The Chairman of the company is the public face of New Balance, and as such, his political donations reflect directly on the company. What's their answer to Mitt Romney's support for a hate group's anti-gay pledge?

Earth to New Balance: your customers are waiting for an answer.

by Anonymousreply 2808/07/2011

Another reason to buy Reebok.

by Anonymousreply 108/06/2011

Gay people would be caught dead in New Balances. So this works out quite well.

by Anonymousreply 208/06/2011

Damn. I live in boston and liked NB until now. They actually still make some of the shoes in the US.

by Anonymousreply 308/06/2011

where...at the Dobson family factory in Colorado Springs, CO?

by Anonymousreply 408/06/2011

Shit, the New Balance logo is all over the new Hubway bike rental system bikes in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 508/06/2011

What other companies are connected to New Balance? I've just thrown out my old new balance shoes and if there's any connection to any other products in my closet, I'll throw them out too. Just to be safe, I'm contacting Costco and informing them If the carry new balance products, I will turn in my Costco Card.

by Anonymousreply 608/06/2011

Why is this a surprise? I bet ALL major corporation owners support and vote Republican. They don't want their personal or professional taxes raised and Republicans are in their pocket, and after this week, Obama is too apparently.

by Anonymousreply 708/06/2011

I'm so tired of these tortured attacks on companies. The non-executive chairman of a company makes a personal donation to the leading Republican candidate for President and because that candidate has some position we don't like we're supposed to demand that the company itself must repudiate that candidate's views on a single topic?

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 808/06/2011

[quote]Shit, the New Balance logo is all over the new Hubway bike rental system bikes in Boston.

Print up some stickers and place them on every bike. What should it say?

"New Balance Shoes support the radical right"

by Anonymousreply 908/06/2011

Gross. I'm glad I went back to Asics a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 1008/07/2011

When I was in elementary school, some friends and I thought that a teacher's New Balance shoes were Nike knockoffs. We would jokingly refer to them as "Air Wymans" (a play on Air Jordans, using her last name).

by Anonymousreply 1108/07/2011

SHIT! These are the only affordable trainers that come in my size. Asics makes "EXTRA WIDE" which is just Triple E and I need Quadruple E.%0D %0D FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 1208/07/2011

OMG R12, are you a platypus?

by Anonymousreply 1308/07/2011

If Adidas doesn't make it, you don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 1408/07/2011

R7 has it right. I honestly think EVERY major company, if you do the math, is run by Republicans, or at least Republican supporters. Unless you grow and cook your own food and make your own furniture and clothes, I think you're all kinds of fucked.

by Anonymousreply 1508/07/2011

I just bought a pair for NB for walking because everyone said they're such good walking shoes, and they're shit. What other recommendations do people have? My problem is I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet and have a high arch.

by Anonymousreply 1608/07/2011

"I'm contacting Costco and informing them If the carry new balance products, I will turn in my Costco Card."

You go, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 1708/07/2011

OP reminds me of when I worked in a bookstore and we had a crazy lady who would comb through the stacks and look for things that might be perceived as anti-Israel and demand we remove them.

Americans are, for the most part, entitled to support whomever they want with their own money and on their own time and not have it affect their employment. Isn't that what decades of work at passing antidiscrimination laws is for?

by Anonymousreply 1808/07/2011

There no identified ties between the company & Romney. I know a lot of people here have trouble with reality, but there's no reason to knot your panties about thin air.

by Anonymousreply 1908/07/2011

Most big corporations give to BOTH parties. They are risk adverse and want to be in good with both sides.%0D %0D Also, R8 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 2008/07/2011

What about Brooks athletic shoes?

by Anonymousreply 2108/07/2011

OP reminds me of Josh Killcunt-Purcell, Ms. "Let's Build Bridges With the Phelpses", when he tried to get gays to boycott eBay because Meg Whitman was a Romney fundraiser.

by Anonymousreply 2208/07/2011

Nothing happened with that Target boycott. And nothing will come of this.

by Anonymousreply 2308/07/2011

r22 I think Californians were just boycotting Meg Whitman. She's a heartless windbag.

by Anonymousreply 2408/07/2011

This was a few years before her 2010 run r24.

by Anonymousreply 2508/07/2011

Luckily I've never bought any of those shitty shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2608/07/2011

New Balance was one of the big long distance running shoes in the 80's, bit don't see too many runners wear them now (some walkers). I remember one of their selling points was "Made in the USA". There was a big push to encourage people to buy clothes and other products with a "Made in the USA" label. That would be a lot more challenging now.

by Anonymousreply 2708/07/2011

[quote] I bet ALL major corporation owners support and vote Republican

I don't.

by Anonymousreply 2808/07/2011
Need more help? Click Here.