Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is the name Bruce seen in such a gay light?

Is it because of Bruce Springsteen? %0D %0D It's funny because he never struck me as all that gay.%0D %0D P.S. NOTICE no commas.

by Anonymousreply 4008/14/2011

I, automatically, assume every Bruce is gay. I met one, recently, and was shocked to realize he's straight. Every other Bruce I've ever known has been gay.

by Anonymousreply 108/05/2011

Where the FUCK *Were* you going to put commas?????

by Anonymousreply 208/05/2011

I don't know, I have never viewed it as such.

by Anonymousreply 308/05/2011

It's pronounced "Bruth"

by Anonymousreply 408/05/2011

Well, it was rumored that Bruce and Clarence were having a torrid affair.

by Anonymousreply 508/05/2011

Wait. Shouldn't there be a comma before the name Bruce, and after?

by Anonymousreply 608/05/2011

Thanks to ME, the William Donohue of the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 708/05/2011

I think of this as such a 70s convention. This reference is completely lost on most younger men. %0D %0D Has anyone named their son Bruce since the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 808/05/2011

Bruce and Mary are names from a different time.

by Anonymousreply 908/05/2011

I dont know where it came from, but the idea that Bruce is a gay name predates Bruce Springsteen being a household name by about ten years or more.

by Anonymousreply 1008/05/2011

Wasn't there something about them changing the Hulk's name from Bruce to David for the TV show, because Bruce sounded too gay?

by Anonymousreply 1108/05/2011

Because it sounds so lovely when pronounced with a lisp.

by Anonymousreply 1208/05/2011

I thought it was because of queer jokes with the name Bruce made by Johnny Carson in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2011

I don't where it comes from -- maybe an old book or movie -- but Bruce was considered a "sissy" name even prior to World War II. Not sure if it meant "gay" back then, but it definitely had effeminate connections.

by Anonymousreply 1408/05/2011

It's because the pronunciation lends itself to a lisp perhaps better than most names. Well, except maybe Aloysius, also not widely used anymore.%0D %0D Remember the "Ralph joke" from the 50's-60's? We had one poor little guy named Ralph. Rough for him.

by Anonymousreply 1508/05/2011

"Remember the "Ralph joke" from the 50's-60's? We had one poor little guy named Ralph. Rough for him."%0D %0D No - what was the "Ralph joke"?

by Anonymousreply 1608/05/2011

Um, do I have anything to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 1708/05/2011

The youngest Bruce I know is 45-years old and he is not gay at all. I doubt his parents knew Bruce was a gay name because they tend to be slightly homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 1808/05/2011

Fair warning, it's stupid, okay?%0D %0D Guy drives into a small town, passes a sign that says, "Welcome to Queersville."%0D %0D He stops at a house, rings the bell, and asks the man who comes to the door, "Say, why is this town called 'Queersville?'"%0D %0D Homeowner replies, "Gee, I don't know. Let me ask the wife, "Hey, Ralph ..."

by Anonymousreply 1908/05/2011

The straight Bruce I know is only 24.

by Anonymousreply 2008/05/2011

In the UK, "Bruce" doesn't have a gay aura - it has a "frail and demented, why the fuck didn't you retire gracefully???" aura...

by Anonymousreply 2108/05/2011

Percy Dovetonsils

by Anonymousreply 2208/05/2011

I agree that Bruce has a very effete, and yes, gay image in the US, enough that the creators of the 1970s Hulk series did change Bruce Banner's name to David for that very reason.

What I find fascinating is that in Australia and New Zealand, two pretty frat-boyish countries, Bruce is considered a super-butch name. Very macho -- really!

My boss's boss is Australian and his name is Bruce. He always walks around in odd-looking ankle-high leather shoes that I'm told are also typically Australian.

by Anonymousreply 2308/05/2011

Mad magazine used "Bruce" for femmy male characters, at least in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 2408/05/2011

I was just going to mention Mad magazine, r24. In fact, I remember they published a letter from a reader named Bruce asking them to stop using "Bruce" for all their femmy male characters. Of course, they didn't. This was in the late 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 2508/05/2011

Johnny Carson indeed had long running jokes about an effeminate Bruce -- with emphasis on the lispy sssss sound in the name. Until a father wrote him a letter telling him he was raising a boy named that and did not want him picked on needlessly. Asked him to please stop.

And Carson apologized immediately and never did it again. Somehow I can't see, say, Chelsea Handler handling something like that these days.

by Anonymousreply 2608/05/2011

it's an aussie name

by Anonymousreply 2708/05/2011

R19, that reminds me of something similar, but it's real.%0D %0D Everytime I drive into Queens, NY and see the sign Welcome to Queens, I always think, but what about everyone else? and chuckle a little.

by Anonymousreply 2808/05/2011

The washing machines in my last apartment complex were the brand SpeedQueen.

by Anonymousreply 2908/05/2011

I remember it being gay when I was in grammar school, late 60s early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3008/05/2011

interesting. anyone think of any other names, and their corresponding reasons why?%0D %0D Lance?%0D %0D Something about the -ce on the end of names?%0D %0D However i think these are conventions that are fading away.

by Anonymousreply 3108/06/2011

Bruce was considered a gay name in the 60's, my stepfather would say BRUUUTHHHIE (brucie) when he was making a gay joke.

by Anonymousreply 3208/06/2011

"According to what I read in various fanzines, this came about as the result of Dr. Frederick Wertham campaign against comic books. In his book Seduction of the Innocent, he alleged that Batman and Robin were gay. His accusations were widely reported, and comedians started to use Bruce as the standard name for their homosexual characters (the way in France Marie-Chantal has become synonymous with "snobbish and stupid woman" after Jacques Chazot invented that character in the fifties)."

by Anonymousreply 3308/06/2011

[quote]What I find fascinating is that in Australia and New Zealand, two pretty frat-boyish countries, Bruce is considered a super-butch name. Very macho -- really!

My boss's boss is Australian and his name is Bruce. He always walks around in odd-looking ankle-high leather shoes that I'm told are also typically Australian.

r23 you might like this Monty Python skit "Bruce" it even shows the boots I think you're talking about at the start.

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2011

If, I, recall correctly, this Bruce gay hoopla is a result of, Anita Bryant.

When Anita, was doing her, anti-gay campaign, in the late, 1970s, she made a statement, to the effect of, "If homosexuality was the normal way, God would have made Adam and Bruce."

This was, around the same, time that the Hulk TV, series was announced. Producers didn't want, any negative, publicity associated with, their show, so changed, Bruce Banner's name, to David Banner, for the series.

Marvel Comics, also, got into the act, by making the character's, full name, David Bruce Banner. Or maybe it was, Bruce David Banner.

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2011

I thought "Bruce" was the name for a generic guy in Australia the way "Sheila" means a random woman.

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2011

r35 no, that was the 70's. This was happening in the 60's and before that. It's traced to a Dr. Frederick Wertham who basically got the comic code stated, and he specifically used BRUCE WAYNE as an example of the "homosexual agenda". He wrote a book that was a huge sensation and that's how it happened.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2011

yeah, but what about Lance?

by Anonymousreply 3808/06/2011

Anita who?

by Anonymousreply 3908/14/2011

Well, all you younger folks are confusing lisping with the sibilant "S".

Brusssie, you sssilly sssavage, sssuch lissspingsss.

Brusse, Persssival, Sssydney, Lanssse...

by Anonymousreply 4008/14/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!