Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Perfect Quote

[quote]"Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right." Pretty much sums it all up, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

Great quote, OP.

These two quotes have been in my email signature since 1996, and they are even more relevant today.

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence." ~ Charles A. Beard

"When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty"

by Anonymousreply 108/03/2011

Religion and morality today are nearly unrelated

by Anonymousreply 208/03/2011

I agree, somewhat, R2.

All of the major religions in the world -Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buhddism, Hinduism, etc.- all have comon themes. Don't steal, don't kill, don't lie, love thy neighbor, try to do the right thing- these universal teachings get wrapped up in dogma by the power hungry elites, and then they are used to corrupt what started out as a great plan for living an honorable, happy life.

I don't hate religion (I'm mostly agnostic) but I recognize their power and utility as guides on how to live a good life.

by Anonymousreply 308/04/2011

That's terrific. Sad that the world is so fixated on the latter.

by Anonymousreply 508/04/2011

It's harder for people to follow what's truly right and not what some dogmatic, paternal figure telling you how to think and behave.

by Anonymousreply 608/04/2011

On the contrary. Adolf was a good Catholic and tried always to conform. Ted K. was well aware he was not being moral. Indeed, he never claimed to be.%0D

by Anonymousreply 908/06/2011

"Wish in one hand, shit in another, and see which fills up fastest."%0D %0D My personal fave.

by Anonymousreply 1008/06/2011

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2012

Is r8 being willfully dense?

by Anonymousreply 1206/20/2012

[quote]To whom is this pearl of wisdom attributed?

Tara Reid, in a fit of poetic inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 1306/20/2012

When someone does something deliberately harmful to other people and they offer up some kind of excuse, it's always religion. If it weren't for hate, no one would have any need for religion.

by Anonymousreply 1406/20/2012

Very good. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2012

R15, thousands of years of cultural wisdom (from Hindu to Muslim to Jewish to Shinto to whatever) lays it out- don't steal, don't kill, don't lie, don't cheat- and thus clearly demonstrates right and wrong.

Your rights as a person can only conflict with my rights if you engage in these behaviors.

Comprende?

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2012

Don't steal. (Taxes)

Don't kill. (overseas wars)

Don't lie. (lies about said wars, etc.)

Don't cheat. (don't lie to the public and then tell them you are doing them a favor. See FDA, TSA, IRS, FDIC...)

by Anonymousreply 1812/03/2012

"Who gets to say what is "right"? Who gets to say what is moral? "Right" and morality are completely subjective things. In the greater scheme of things, morality, good, evil, whatever -- these things don't exist"

I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 1912/03/2012

I thought morality was doing the right thing even if no one else is looking.

by Anonymousreply 2012/03/2012

Exactly, R20.

Too bad politics is based on theft, murder and deceit.

by Anonymousreply 2112/03/2012

"You cannot live the perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because character is what really you are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

"Failure is not fatal. But failure to change might be."

Jonh Wooden

by Anonymousreply 2312/03/2012

[quote] Who gets to say what is "right"? Who gets to say what is moral?

Hopefully Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.