Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janet Jackson''s "The Velvet Rope" (1997)

I just pulled out this album again. I must say, this is probably the best album she ever produced. I remember when it came out and people were shocked. It wasn't some regular pop album. It was pretty ballsy on her move. It was risky. The first single, "Got Til It's Gone", was also a big risk. I don't think it did well, but she did actually have some artistic integrity and did it anyway. Too bad she's never been able to top this album since. "The Velvet Rope" came out just before another diva's album dropped, "Ray of Light". Good times. Now that Janet's on her way into her 50s, I would hope she'd create something meaningful like this album again. The sex kitten crap is so old now. On "The Velvet Rope", even the sex songs were classy, and slightly sinister. The bisexual content was also interesting. In a song like "Tonight's The Night", a cover of course, she's opens with: "this is just between me, and you, and you." Then she changes the gender to whom she's singing to, another woman. The imagery was great as well. I loved the Ellen von Unweth shots. Janet's name is just a glaze on the album cover. You can see it if you hold the album to a light.

I wonder if there's any other fans of this album.

by Anonymousreply 4712/18/2012

Yes, OP, this is a great album. It was a heralded by critics as Janet's masterpiece, which it is. With topics like spousal abuse, depression, anti-homophobia, bi-sexuality, reverence of a deceased love one and self-love, The Velvet Rope was different than anything she'd ever done before and since. It turned 15 years old this past October, and still sounds as good as it did when it was released.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

I agree. VR is Janet's finest album (though there were great moments in Rhythm Nation and Janet leading to this).

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2012

I love "Empty" from this CD. It was so ahead of its time, with little touches of electronica and lyrics about internet communication.

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

Way ahead of it's time for its promotion of tolerance. It's also a surprisingly deep album with songs that never hit the big time (like "Go Deep", "You" and "Anything').

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2012

Oh god, here we go.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2012

A classic great album. Wish I had seen JJ tour back then!

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

R5, a never-was, needs to be trampled by the Rhythm Nation.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2012

I always loved "Go Deep" from this album, really slick sexy song. Janet always has such nice harmony

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2012

VR was just so good on many different levels. I loved the Mark Romanek-helmed "Got 'til It's Gone" video, which was also completely different than anything Janet had done before.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2012

The bluesy "Can't Be Stopped" was a hidden track on the US version of the CD, and sampled Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues"

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2012

Yes, definitely Janet's masterpiece. A beautiful, brave, and bold work of art. Every diva has their artistic peak, and this was definitely Janet's.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

I love me some "Tonight's The Night." I posted it in another Janet thread, but that was my coming out song. My all time favorite Janet song is a cover.

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

[quote]A beautiful, brave, and bold work of art

As for "Tonight's the Night", I do like her take on it too. An interviewer asked her at the time why she chose not to change the gender in the lyrics, and she said that it never occured to her to do such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

It truly amazes me at how really awesome and talented she is. She has a wonderful gift and I am so thankful that she shared it with us. Control really changed my life. I was 12 and trying figure out all of this stuff going on in my head and with my body. I listened to that album over and over again. It saved. Janet is a true goddess.

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2012

Love R8.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

Why does my intuition tell me this whole thread is Janbot using different IPs and clearing cookies so he/she can reply to him/herself? Janbot has a very specific type of writing style that is demonstrated in each reply.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

She was beautiful and had an attractive figure back then, and she was just raking in the money.

So unlike today in all respects.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

I didn't pay much attention to this, Control is the best. Sometimes the first time is the best. I do love That's the Way Love Goes though.

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

Nice try, R17, but I wouldn't bother trying to delete cookies just so some twat (namely you) would try to "call me out", whatever that means. Alas, the OP is NOT me. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

R17, listen to Control and try not to fall in love.

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

R18, Janet is thinner these days than she's been in a long time, and is sitting on top of a $150 million fortune. And what are you doing with YOUR life?

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

[quote]I didn't pay much attention to this

You really should. It's a great album.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

[quote]And what are you doing with YOUR life?

Not going batshit nuts on a Datalounge JJ thread, for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

I love Go Deep, Free Xone, Every Time, and What About?

Janet's a bad bitch. I could only imagine what the recording sessions for Velvet Rope were like. Janet, Terry, Jimmy, and Rene made magic.

Contrary to popular belief, All For You was solid follow up to it. It proved Janet could still make a dope ass album independent of Rene.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I also like Damito Jo, 20 YO and Disciple.

Velvet Rope is one of my favorites, but she still can make good music.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

Personally, I prefer her Ritual of Love album. It's one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

VR was the last good album she made. It was very good.

Everything - *everything* since has been ridiculous and embarrassing, and very worthy of all of DL's delicious mockery.

It's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

"Control" wasn't her first album, R19.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

[quote]Personally, I prefer her Ritual of Love album. It's one of my favorites.

That was Karyn White

[quote]Contrary to popular belief, All For You was solid follow up to it. It proved Janet could still make a dope ass album independent of Rene.

Definitely. And the proof was in how much it sold the first week out. ALL FOR YOU gave Janet her highest ever first-week sales. The title song also made history at radio for most spins and being added to the most radio formats (a record it held for a decade until Gaga's BORN THIS WAY album slightly topped it).

[quote]I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I also like Damito Jo, 20 YO and Disciple

Me too. Those albums had some of her best work. "All Nite (Don't Stop)" and "Island Life" from DAMITA JO are excellent dance/pop tracks. "All Nite" was sadly overlooked because everyone (MTV and radio) had a bug up their ass about the SB. "Enjoy" and "Take Care" from 20 YO are classic Janet, and both were single worthy. As for DISCIPLINE, the lead singe "Feedback" was hot, but "Rock With U", which was released second, was slightly better. It rightfully drew comparisons by some critics to Donna Summer's "I Feel Love".

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

I hope when Janet puts out another album it is mostly laid back music like "Take Care" and "Go Deep", "Better Days" etc. Even if its not super explicit. Janet is getting too old for those games anyway lol. There is something about her slow jams with Jam & Lewis that is just hypnotically good.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

I hope she goes that route too. There have been some Tweets from Janet and people in her camp recently that hint at a new album in the works. She was in the studio working on choreography yesterday with Gil, and some industry guy Tweeted that he was commissioned to work on the new Janet album.

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

lol r17. Im also NOT Janbot, although I am accused of being that poster sometimes. Why is it so unbelievable that Janet has fans and stans on this board? She is from music's first family people. And she is an icon of gay society!

[quote]She was in the studio working on choreography yesterday with Gil

OK, Im going to try and accept that Gil and Janet will NEVER part...because of love. But I still think he needs to kick rocks!

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

LOL, there are a lot of Janet haters on DL for some odd reason (hmmm???).

I think she needs to dump Gil as well. I know they're thisclose, but he's had his day.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

Why did she stop working with Jam & Lewis? On a side note, Karyn White and Lewis used to be married. She still looks good.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

She didn't work with them on the last album, but I don't think there's any bad blood. I do know that "Discipline" was a little rushed because LA Reid wanted her to put out a product right away. Janet usually has writing input on her records and takes several years between projects, but Discipline was a little hurried.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

"What About" is still one of my favorite songs from her. Got Til It's Gone, Go Deep, Special, My Need, I Get Lonely, etc were highlights of that album.

VR is the Janet I want back. I do agree that she needs to put aside the overly sexual material, because it is unbecoming now. I do wish her the best, and hope that she isn't relegated to Tyler Perry movies forever and ever.

Her VH1 Fashion Awards performance of "What About" was fucking awesome:

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

That standing O she got gave me LIFE!

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

[quote]Is the JanBot also one of the obsessive Frank Ocean fangurls? I swear they know every bit of minutiae about these oh-so-average performers, and can't wait to spew every little bit of it on the DL. Get a life!!

Oh, you get a life, dickhead, and fuck off! I'm so tired of you stupid asswipes coming into a thread, reading every word of it and then complaining like the miserable harpies that you are. Let me answer your question for you--NO, I am not the Frank Ocean fan (don't know much about him save for the fact that he's a recently out African American singer). Again, why the fuck would you come into the thread if you're not interested? I'll tell you why, because you ARE interested. Now go sit your tired ass down somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2012

I watched That's the Way Love Goes and Anytime, Anyplace videos tonight. Damn, Janet was hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 4212/16/2012

Yes she was. Nobody does slow burn bedroom jams like her. She could put out a collection of just her bedroom songs alone.

"Anything" from The Velvet Rope is a good one

by Anonymousreply 4312/17/2012

I haven't listed to VR in years. I miss old Janet.

by Anonymousreply 4412/18/2012

Celebs arriving to The Velvet Rope listening party in NYC. Gwen Stefani, Sheryl Crowe, Billy Corrigan, P Diddy (Puffy back then), Marilyn Manson, Beck, D'Angelo, and of course Janet herself (with Lisa Marie Presley by her side).

by Anonymousreply 4512/18/2012

FF for R46.

And yesh, The Velvet Rope is a classic. I like how the title track samples "Tubular Bells" and Malcolm McLaren's "Hobo (Scratch)"

by Anonymousreply 4712/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!