Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MSNBC Execs "over the moon" about Melissa Harris-Perry

This week MSNBC executives expressed unreserved enthusiasm about another substitute for Ms. Maddow, Melissa Harris-Perry, a professor of political science at Tulane University, who filled in for the first time last week. In an interview Mr. Griffin cited her strong ratings and asked, %E2%80%9CHow could you not be over the moon about her?%E2%80%9D

%E2%80%9CShe even handled breaking news last week, with he debt-ceiling votes happening,%E2%80%9D he said. %E2%80%9CShe was off prompter, off script, she had people talking in her ear, and she handled it all.%E2%80%9D

That kind of reaction is not unlike how MSNBC executives spoke about Ms. Maddow before she was eventually hired as a regular host. Mr. Griffin said, %E2%80%9CThis reminds me of how it went with Rachel.%E2%80%9D But he indicated that he is not ready to sign Ms. Harris-Perry as a full-time host yet.

%E2%80%9COur whole thing is about creating a stable,%E2%80%9D he said, adding that the strategy for Ms. Harris-Perry is %E2%80%9Cto continue to develop her, find places where she can fill in more. Things happen. Who knows?%E2%80%9D

If anything, Ms. Maddow was even more impressed by her replacement. %E2%80%9CShe was awesome,%E2%80%9D Ms. Maddow said. %E2%80%9CShe has been a phenomenal guest and bringing her in as a contributor was exactly the right thing to do. To see her up here and clicking with the teleprompter after like the first date, and to see the audience reaction both anecdotally and quantitatively, I just couldn%E2%80%99t be happier.%E2%80%9D

by Anonymousreply 7512/06/2012

Think I saw her. Had a speech impediment, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2011

I do not understand MSNBC using the Reverend to replace Cenk, the Turk.%0D %0D I find the Reverend very difficult to listen to. Plus he is rather a joke among many of the U.S. populace.

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2011

I hope she's gotten rid of that awful pudding bowl haircut she had a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2011

I really like Melissa, she is a very bright woman. Agree I hate Sharpton, can't listen to him, he is almost as obnoxious as Tracy Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2011

"The Reverend". WTF?

His name's Al Sharpton, asshat! He ain't the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2011

No photos of Harris-Perry? Well, if she's like Rachel, she'll be a winner. I remember seeing Rachel on CNN and other networks before she landed at MSNBC. She was head-and-shoulders above any other commentator, always well-spoken and thoughtful.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2011

I like her, but she does have a speech impediment as do most of MSNBC's talking heads: Chris Cilzza, Chris Hayes, Ezra Klein, Reverend Al, Eugene Robinson, EJ Dionne ..

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2011

Harris-Perry is straight. Mehhh.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2011

Some enterprising speech therapist to market their services to the network.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2011

I watched Melissa fill in for Rachel last week and she was brilliant! I always liked her when she is an analyst. I was so surprised at how good she was in the anchor chair. It was was such a hectic week with breaking news and Melissa did not flinch. She was getting great feedback on Twitter saying she should have her own show; instead of Al Sharpton at 6pm, Melissa should get the slot.

She has a lot going on in her life with being a professor at Tulane. Her husband ran for mayor of New Orleans in 2010. Plus she is a mother.

I am a big fan of this woman...I hope she gets a show very soon.

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2011

Affirmative Action for lispers at MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2011

I love Melissa. Too bad she can't replace al sharpton.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2011

What does the MS in MSNBC stand for?%0D %0D Melissa is fantastic. Always enjoyed her comments. I'm glad she is getting more attention.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2011

Like her better as a guest.

That said, I wish she would replace Rev Al.

Guess that's not going to happen.

He was in for Ed last night, and I flipped the channel as soon as I heard/saw him.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2011

Thank you OP for starting this thread!

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2011

R13, MS stands for Microsoft

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2011

First guests: Susan Olsen and Rudy Guiliani Topic: The Economy. Will Sue be able to sell seashells by the seashore?

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2011

Hire Melissa Harris-Perry. Dump Al Sharpton.%0D %0D She's smart, liberal and has a bit of a lisp, but it's kind of cute especially compared to Sharpton's offensive, annoying and monotone foghorn.

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2011

I like Harris-Perry AND Sharpton. They both call out those asshat Republicans for what they are and I appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2011

She's great, but her lisp drives me CRAZY!

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2011

I like Melissa, too, and would watch her on a regular basis.

Al Sharpton sounds like Bender, the robot from Futurama. Not the best voice for broadcasting.

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2011

I watched Harris-Perry briefly last week and she appeared, at first, to be copying Maddow's style of delivery...emphatic, hands waving, etc. It distracted me too much so I switched the channel.

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2011

Melissa was a little bit rough a first, but once she got her sea legs she was great. MSNBC has been great at bringing on a new generation of "pundits" from the liberal side that know their facts and know how to call out the other side.

But still, no one does a slap down like Lawrence O'Donnell. Really, I think even Bar Bush would think twice about getting on his bad side.

by Anonymousreply 2308/02/2011

and tonight . . . DL Fave Thomas Roberts!

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2011

I like the academic approach she gave the show. For some reason, I can't stop thinking of her as Melissa Harris-Lacewell. It just sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2011

I don't mind the lisp one bit.%0D %0D I thought she was outstanding because she set up all of her segments in a very clear and straightforward manner, and then nicely segued into the interviews. As the week went on, I really began looking forward to her shows. %0D %0D In contrast, I didn't even bother DVRing the show yesterday when Chris Hayes guest hosted. I enjoy him as a guest, but as a hot I find him irritating.

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2011

I can't believe Sharpton has a show.

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2011

I don't think they have officially handed Cenk's show to Sharpton yet, have they? Not officially?%0D %0D I don't think there has been an official announcement, but I may have missed it.%0D %0D Sharpton just seems like kind of a cartoonish, joke character - even though I know he has a good intellect on some matters and I have heard him speak eloquently on some subjects.%0D %0D He just doesn't seem like a person with gravitas or weightiness in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2011

Too many black people!

Enough!

by Anonymousreply 2908/03/2011

Many of you are probably too young to be familiar with the Tawana Brawley case/hoax (1987).%0D %0D Al lost all credibility with that one in my book. He's a parasite with nothing intelligent to say.%0D %0D Brawley, Sharpton, et al even accused a NY Prosecutor of being one of the alleged rapists. When it comes to Al, you simply can't make the shit that comes out of his mouth up.

by Anonymousreply 3008/03/2011

I thought Melissa did well enough but I missed Rachel, who you can tell puts her own stamp on things.%0D %0D I literally have to switch off the TV when Sharpton comes on. He's basically a shouting robot.

by Anonymousreply 3108/03/2011

Exactly R29, that's what it's really all about.

MSNBC's smarter than the racists here who are downing Al Sharpton and Melissa Harris-Perry.

by Anonymousreply 3208/03/2011

Jesus R29 and R32--couldn't you at least wait for someone to say something racist about her before you play the race card? For the most part, reaction to Melissa has been positive in this thread, other than the lisp. And Sharpton has been terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3308/03/2011

I've been loving Melissa for a long time and never noticed a lisp.

by Anonymousreply 3408/03/2011

R34. Love is blind...and deaf.

by Anonymousreply 3508/03/2011

Melissa is definitely a very talented woman. As a poster above mentioned you could tell she approached it from a academic perspective.

And I like Chris Hayes columns but I won't be watching his show, he is too...smarmy for me as a host. Even though I agree with what he is saying it just doesn't work for me.

by Anonymousreply 3608/03/2011

Agree with r36. I'm surprised Rachel Maddow has him on her show or even likes him.

by Anonymousreply 3708/03/2011

I love Ezra Klein's lisp, he is adorable. Something about their lisps don't bother me at all.

Chris Cilizza is always doing weird things with his mouth, I like to watch him just to see how he his mouth moves.

by Anonymousreply 3808/03/2011

Is MSNBC still creaming themselves over [italic]Morning Joe[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 3908/03/2011

I bet Chris Hayes and Ezra Klein got beat up a lot as kids.

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2011

I think Chris Hayes is adorable. My favorite substitute host.

by Anonymousreply 4108/23/2011

[quote]Al lost all credibility with that one in my book. He's a parasite with nothing intelligent to say.

All of the networks have hired lying parasites with nothing intelligent to say. FOX's entire business model is based on it.

I can't take Al because he's not even a journalist and frankly, doesn't know enough about politics to have that hour. Heaven forbid they hire someone like Eric Alterman.

by Anonymousreply 4208/23/2011

Every time Chris Hayes is on, I think he's like Rachel's doppelganger that someone left in the dryer too long.

by Anonymousreply 4308/23/2011

The first time I heard the phrase "over the moon" was in Summer Heights High. Ever since then, I think of Mr G getting all tingly when he heard one of the students died of a drug overdose.... perfect material for a musical!

by Anonymousreply 4408/23/2011

Does her new show go something like this: "I teach at Princeton" "I taught at Princeton" "Well, at Princeton"

by Anonymousreply 4508/23/2011

r45 - she's a professor at Tulane in New Orleans now... she moved down there to be with her then-fiance, who is an aspiring politician.

by Anonymousreply 4708/23/2011

I'd definitely prefer Chris Hayes in primetime rather than Harris-Perry. If they could have given him either Al Sharpton's or Ed Schultz's spot, I would have been happy. He's going to be wasted on Saturday morning but I hope they are grooming him for something better.

by Anonymousreply 4808/23/2011

Maddow is shrill. Sharpton a shill.

by Anonymousreply 4908/23/2011

How did all the critics just happen to be in the audience the week she went on?

by Anonymousreply 5008/23/2011

[quote]And I like Chris Hayes columns but I won't be watching his show, he is too...smarmy for me as a host. Even though I agree with what he is saying it just doesn't work for me.%0D %0D I feel the same way, r36. Plus, he reminds me of those dorky guys in high school who were always running for student council.%0D %0D That said, he's a lot better than Ed (Man-Of-The-People) Schultz.%0D %0D Melissa Harris-Perry will be a fine addition to MSNBC. She was impressive even in her first time out. It's not easy dealing with teleprompter, people talking in your ear, and juggling last minute changes during the break.%0D %0D A couple of years ago they tried out Ana Marie Cox as a guest host, but she just wasn't ready for Prime Time. Too bad. She's a witty guest.

by Anonymousreply 5108/23/2011

Wonder why they don't give someone the 7pm slot?

Do we really need a repeat of Hardball?

by Anonymousreply 5208/23/2011

I'm not sold yet on her. Like her as a guest but she seemed really uncomfortable to me as a host. I just want there to be a 24 hr. Willie Geist network.

by Anonymousreply 5308/23/2011

[quote]I just want there to be a 24 hr. Willie Geist network.

I would watch that.

by Anonymousreply 5408/23/2011

I have shirtless pics of Ezra. AND I hear he has a big dick.

by Anonymousreply 5508/23/2011

I'm starting to fall for her. I've gotten past the speech impediment. She's really smart and really good on air.

by Anonymousreply 5608/23/2011

Is Ezra gay or straight?

by Anonymousreply 5708/23/2011

I love Harris-Perry and hope they give her a show. She's super smart and nice to look at.

by Anonymousreply 5808/23/2011

Like others, I appreciate her insight and intelligence, but whatever impediment she has speechwise is incredibly distracting.

When she's a featured speaker and talks over the course of 5 or 6 minutes it's fine, but when she delivers an entire monologue, it's far more noticeable.

On an unrelated now, I was shocked to find out Chris Hayes is straight! He's so like Rachel I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart. A serious cutie, though.

by Anonymousreply 5908/23/2011

I didn't even notice her lisp until I read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6008/23/2011

Ezra Klein is sadly straight, but yeah, something about him gets me going.

by Anonymousreply 6108/23/2011

I would let Ezra stick it in. More than just the head.

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2011

And there's a lot to stick in, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 6308/24/2011

She's totally on point. A winner!

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2011

[quote]Ezra Klein is sadly straight, but yeah, something about him gets me going.

For me it's those luscious lips.

by Anonymousreply 6508/24/2011

you msnbc execs need to get with the program. Part of your job is to identify people with speech impediments. Hiring Harris-Perry is like hiring a quarterback that can't throw. No one with that bad of a lisp should EVER appear at an anchor desk. Ever. You lose ratings.

by Anonymousreply 6703/17/2012

She HAS been going to a speech therapist! I have been catching her lately, and the lisp is almost entirely gone.

by Anonymousreply 6803/17/2012

No ith not!

by Anonymousreply 6903/17/2012

I agree with comment #20; she is smart, articulate, but her lisp drives me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 7009/03/2012

I am absolutely SHOCKED! I was taught at a very young age by my Parents, Neighbors, and Kindergarten Teacher that you do not make fun or be mean to people and especially people who have an impairment, How cruel; I cannot believe these people are on here talking about Melissa the way they are; It is astonishing; This Woman has feelings; What happened to decent people in the world? Really! The first thing I saw in Melissa was courage and absolutely respect her for it; I don't see any of you on a National TV show, but you obviously are perfect, when you have room to judge others; GROW –UP!

by Anonymousreply 7110/14/2012

Thank you Rhonda Marshall. These people are cruel, rude and childish. Melissa is so smart, articulate and informed. For all of you lisp haters, why don't you challenge yourself to an intellectual competition with her -- she'd destroy you with 2 lisps.

by Anonymousreply 7210/25/2012

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 7311/13/2012

I actually think her lisp is kind of sexy. Not in a weird'o stalker way, but in a way that she's an overcomer, strong and courageous. Gotta love that.

by Anonymousreply 7412/06/2012

I love MHP and the round table discussion. She had a great segment on transgender issues this past April.

by Anonymousreply 7512/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.