Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for the eldergays: Did your mom get her glassware and dish towels from inside laundry detergent?

I'm working on a vintage tv commercial project. And it seems that they all were giving away housewares in the boxes. Did your mom?

by Anonymousreply 11209/28/2014

My mom ran a household with eight kids on practically no money, so she knew how to stretch a dollar. She never went for detergents with premiums, because they cost more and the premiums themselves were usually low quality. It was cheaper to buy decent glasses and dishtowels (and detergent) on sale. Having said that, if she happened to catch a big enough bargain on Duz detergent, we may have ended up with a mis-matched glass or two in the back of the cabinet over the years.

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2011

Who remembers when Dolly Parton used to flog Breeze detergent and the "flardy tahls" therein on [italic]The Porter Wagoner Show[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2011

Don't you just love it? And I got it in a box of breeze.

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2011

I think cartoon jelly jars/glasses were much more common. I don't recall what you mention, OP, but I might be too young. Maybe it was a 1950s thing.

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2011

Heck yes. And I still use them.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2011

Very common in the 50s. Cheap glass.

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2011

Not that I recall, but r5 is right about the jelly glasses. We had dozens of them. I think my nephew still has a few of the best ones. %0D %0D Gas station glasses & lots of kitchen things "bought" with Betty Crocker coupons (like boxtops) and Green Stamps. The A&P would have dish sets - this week the plate is $.025, next week the coffee cup is $.10 and so on.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2011

To show the kind of classy guy I am, my "good" china was purchased piece by piece weekly from Pantry Pride Supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2011

We didn't have anything from inside laundry detergent boxes, but we had plenty of jelly glasses, sour cream glasses, and a set of dishware that you purchased by the piece each week at the grocery store. %0D %0D I, on the other hand, was a connaisseur of things that came inside cereal boxes. I was very skilled at extracting the prize and then pretending to my younger brother that we had gotten screwed and there was no prize in that particular box.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2011

No, my mother wouldn't buy that stuff. We did have jelly glasses, Bama maybe? And my father and grandfather would bring home glasses and steak knives that were gas station premiums.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2011

LOL, R12. You are absolutely evil! I like you.%0D %0D I guess your younger brother has serious trust in the universe issues. If cereal boxes can't be trusted, what can you trust?

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2011

If they packed a towel in a box of detergent wouldn't you be getting a lot less product? Seems like a gyp.%0D %0D We had a whole set of 70s stoneware from the grocery store, and my parents still have and use their steak knives from the Shell station. My favorite Flintstone's jelly glass is still at their house and I use it every time I visit.%0D %0D I don't think they even put prizes in cereal any more, do they? I remember getting special eyeglasses with no lenses and little aluminum mirrors on the inside so you could see behind you! Not quite X-ray vision but not bad for a box of Alphabets!

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2011

[quote]I think cartoon jelly jars/glasses were much more common. I don't recall what you mention, OP, but I might be too young. Maybe it was a 1950s thing.

That's my recollection, too. Outside of the Flintstone jelly glasses, glassware and china were premiums at gasoline stations and at grocery stores (I also recall the latter having an off-brands of encyclopedias and plastic statuettes of the presidents -- with a white styrofoam semi-coliseum for their display.)

There were references to glassware having come in laundry detergent, but these were mentioned in the past tense, as a joking reference to something especially cheap.

(And no, my mother never allowed such things in her house.)

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2011

R15, Alphabets put those glasses in the box for the dyslexic kids. They weren't a toy.

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2011

Do Cool Whip containers count? I would try to describe just how many empty Cool Whip containers were in my Mother's house when we cleaned it out, but you wouldn't believe me anyway.

And bread wrappers. Empty, cleaned, and folded bread wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2011

My mom got her everyday cutlery piece by piece with Betty Crocker boxtops. Early 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2011

[quote]If they packed a towel in a box of detergent wouldn't you be getting a lot less product? Seems like a gyp.

The product would still be filled to the declared weight. The premiums didn't displace the product.

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2011

Don't forget Quaker Crystal Wedding Oats.

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2011

R18, an aunt used to wash and reuse aluminum foil. See what growing up during a depression does to you?

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2011

Me [R3]! And I really wanted my Mom to buy one of those detergent boxes with a towel in it, but she refused.

by Anonymousreply 2308/02/2011

Welch's had the jam/jelly glasses here on the East Coast.

Bama had the jelly glasses up until the late 90s, they could still be doing them. I picked up a few Bama glasses before Odd Lot closed, they had a cute set of Rocky, Bullwinkle, Boris & Natasha glasses.

I remember glassware being featured at supermarkets, some stores were still doing this way into the 1980s. They'd usually feature a different piece every week.

My mom still has some Mikasa pieces sold at supermarkets during the 80s, they're really heavy dinner, cake plates and soup bowls, the coffee cups weren't made well, they all broke.

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2011

My Mom used to get Melmac Dinnerware at the local grocery store. Every week you would get free pieces and the option to buy more at a huge reduction. That was when there were still grocery stores in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2011

I remember getting soap in the form of a green dinosaur from a Shell station. This had to be 64 or 65.

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2011

I remember racing to the shampoo section of the store and just sitting there playing with the Prell bottles that had the pearls inside. I would turn them upside down and watch the pearl drift slowly down, and when the pearl was almost at the bottom I would turn them back upright and watch the peal float all over again.

My mother would never buy Prell though. It was Suave for us.

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2011

Wasn't Melmac the stuff that "couldn't" break? My mother bought a set I recall. And being a little queen I TRIED to break it because it was so ugly.

Damn shit wouldn't break.

by Anonymousreply 2808/02/2011

One thing I love about old commercials is how the husband would be so pissed off about his wife's horrible coffee. Apparently women in the 60s had no clue how to make coffee. In some of the commercials an old blonde Norwegian woman would show up and tell her what she was doing wrong and all would be well again.

by Anonymousreply 2908/02/2011

I have a full set of china from a gas station promotion from the 50s. It's quite reasonable in terms of look and quality. My deceased partner's mother got it one piece at a time.

by Anonymousreply 3008/02/2011

I don't remember anything like that, but I seem to remember getting record albums at gas stations around Christmas time...or did I imagine that?

by Anonymousreply 3108/02/2011

I still have some of my mom's Melmac pieces, the ones which weren't discolored, I kept.

The rest she dumped. Melmac easily got scratched and the coffee/tea cups badly discolored. I remember there was some type of special cleaning powder (not Bon Ami, something else) made specifically for Melmac, but if you didn't remember to use it each time you washed the Melmac, the stains permeated.

I also have a Melmac salt & pepper set, a sugar bowl and creamer. For some reason my mom never used them, so they're in excellent shape.

Up until a few years ago, you could get Melmac pretty cheap on eBay, now anything retro sells for outrageous prices.

My mom still has so many sets of dishes and other glassware, I have no idea where she keeps it all. She does regret giving away her original set of Fiestaware, which she never used. It was in flawless condition when she gave it away.

Anyone remember the Hottle bottles, the small glass bottles which many restaurants used to serve tea? They had rubber around the neck of the bottle and a removable lid. I got a nice collection on eBay years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2011

We had the jelly glasses, but I also remember my mother buying dishes at the grocery store. Each week they'd have a different piece on sale. One week it would be dinner plates, the next bowls etc.

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2011

They used to also have a 45rpm record, you could cut out of the back of some cereal boxes.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2011

Melmac was supposed to be unbreakable although I met a fellow in college who claimed to have broken a plate across his sister's face. I tend to believe him.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2011

We had the complete Duz collection. We bought towels and small apliances with SH green stamps.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2011

Yes, my mother purchased the detergent with the towels in the box. Those things lasted forever! We also got dishes from the A&P. The glasses -- which I still have -- may have also come from some promotion. They are small juice glasses.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2011

"Do Cool Whip containers count?"%0D %0D That was "free Tupperware" as far as my family was concerned. We used them for leftovers and had whole shelves of them in the fridge, all growing green and gray biology experiments inside because we always forgot about them. %0D %0D My mother hated real Tupperware - she said it always felt greasy and you could never get it completely clean, even with Dawn detergent. Our neighbor had so much Tupperware that she had a special cabinet for it. Of course my mother thought that was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2011

I remember the SH Green and the Plaid stamps.

IIRC, you'd go to a center to redeem the books for small appliances, glassware or decorative stuff. Later on they added watches and more personal items.

Unfortunately, there was never anything for me and my siblings from those damn stamps. I have no idea how my mom had time for collecting stamps and other freebie nonsense, as she always worked, took care of us and the house.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2011

[quote]They used to also have a 45rpm record, you could cut out of the back of some cereal boxes.

We could never make those work. It was the cutting/punching of the center hole that did us in every time. We could never get it centered.

National Geographic occasionally had the pull-out records, and those were very cool. I bet I listened to the one that covered Churchill's funeral 50 times.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2011

[quote]Melmac was supposed to be unbreakable%0D %0D I broke a plate once. I threw it across the room & it must have hit the wall at just the right angle to snap it in two. But generally, I think you could drive over it & nothing would happen.

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2011

Flintstone's jelly glasses from Welches. Had a lot of those. "Archie's" records printed on back of Post cereal boxes. Used to cut out the record when the box was full and sometimes cut through the bag liner. Big mess! Dolly and Porter pushing Breeze and those cheap towels. "You cain't buy it!" "I cain't?". Fizzies punched out from foil sheet. Alka Seltzer with sugar. Vile! S&H green stamps. Mom charged everything so they sent all the stamps at the end of the month with her statement. Huge books of stamps!

by Anonymousreply 4208/02/2011

I hit my brother over the head with a melmac dish...and he died!

by Anonymousreply 4308/02/2011

I always wanted the Kool-Aid pitcher and the little matching cups, but my Mother freaked out over how much sugar you had to add to make the stuff and refused to buy any.

by Anonymousreply 4408/02/2011

I had no idea what melmac was. I googled and discovered it was Alf's home planet. On further reasearch, I discovered that it was this stuff...

by Anonymousreply 4508/02/2011

Enough with the "eldergays", OP.

It's not charming or cute and you sound like an insufferable douche. And I'm probably younger than you.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 4608/02/2011

This thread is bringing back lots of memories. We did have the towels from detergent boxes, my mom for some reason was obsessed with towels and/or sheets NOT matching. When I got my own place I made sure everything matched and looked nice and she had a tantrum you had to see to be believed. I remember using the Flintstones jelly glasses and I think we had a Kool-Aid pitcher once. Definitely had the 45's from the back of cereal boxes, I loved music from the time I was born.

by Anonymousreply 4708/02/2011

[quote]I remember getting soap in the form of a green dinosaur from a Shell station.

Shouldn't it have been in the shape of a scalloped seashell?

The Sinclair Gas stations' signs featured a green dinosaur with a long neck -- maybe that was where your dino soap came from? Sounds cute, wish I had some.

by Anonymousreply 4808/02/2011

You're right, R48. It was Sinclair. Forgot about them.

by Anonymousreply 4908/02/2011

R46, it is kind of cute term of endearment and unique to DL. If anyone is getting their feelings hurt, then it hasn't been discussed on any threads that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 5008/02/2011

I didn't realize so many here were so young. Yes, we got quite a lot of glasses and dishes at the movies, at the Green Stamp Store, and at grocery store promotions. All %0D I now have left is a great set of aluminum water tumblers that long ago contained cottage cheese. Pretty colors, too.%0D Yes, I'm old--74.

by Anonymousreply 5108/02/2011

[quote]All I now have left is a great set of aluminum water tumblers that long ago contained cottage cheese. Pretty colors, too.

R51, did/do you also have the little elasticized knit socks that fit around the bottoms of the tumblers to keep the cold metal from hurting your fingers? Our socks came in different colors with white stripe. I'm pretty sure we got the tumblers with Blue Chip stamps (we didn't eat cottage cheese), not sure about the socks.

by Anonymousreply 5208/02/2011

I remember dishes, glasses and towels in detergent boxes, jelly glasses, 45's on cereal boxes, Plaid and S&H Green stamps, freebies from gas stations...

I'm 47 and grew up in NJ suburbs of NYC.

And I don't mind being classified as an "eldergay", it's kind of a badge of honor.

by Anonymousreply 5308/02/2011

We had lots of Welch's/Flintstone jelly glasses and Sau-Sea shrimp cocktail glasses.

by Anonymousreply 5408/02/2011

Jesus Saves.....green stamps

by Anonymousreply 5508/02/2011

"Sau-Sea shrimp cocktail glasses"%0D %0D OMG, I forgot all about those! We used to make mini ice cream sundaes in them, and sometimes put pudding in them with a tiny blob of whipped cream on top. Very dainty and refined.%0D %0D We had a set of those brightly colored aluminum tumblers too - everything always tasted more ice-cold in them. And we had the little socks too. My special one had a green stripe to match the emerald green aluminum (queen in training here).

by Anonymousreply 5608/02/2011

I forgot about Sau-Sea shrimp glasses - IIRC they looked like the ones Howard Johnson's used for ice cream parfaits.

by Anonymousreply 5708/02/2011

We had Noah's Arks from the ARCO gas station, and each week you could get a new, different pair of plastic animals if you could convince your dad to fill up there.

This was c. 1974 at Main & 140th for my Hillaire DL friend.

by Anonymousreply 5808/02/2011

For R29

by Anonymousreply 5908/02/2011

I have no idea where or how my mother got all of the glasses, dishes and other kitchen stuff. I don't know what stores she went to and I've never heard of green stamps, whatever the hell that is. Everything just kind of magically appeared in the kitchen and I never wondered where the dishes, glasses, cups or anything else came from. I grew up in the 1980s and early 1990s, it that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 6008/02/2011

Did your moms ever serve chocolate pudding in the wine glasses like the commercials?

by Anonymousreply 6108/02/2011

Damn! Forgot about the Sau-Shrimp glasses. %0D %0D Mom died in 85, dad last year. I bet some are still in the kitchen cabinet. I'm going to look next time I'm at the house.

by Anonymousreply 6208/02/2011

I remember Mason Jars being used as glasses. Yeah, I was raised in the South. %0D %0D I also remember the toys in Cracker Jacks and most every cereal being far more superior to the crap now. %0D %0D I also remember that no one had any food allergies. %0D %0D Weird. I used to sniff glue as a teen so this was the best I could come up with. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6308/02/2011

My Dad had an antenna ball from (I think) Union 76. He would carefully attach it to the antenna whenever he was in a high-stress parking situation. He lived to walk straight to the car, the bigger the parking lot the better.

by Anonymousreply 6408/02/2011

R27. I forgot about Prell shampoo. I loved the pearls too! I can smell Prell right now. Damned I wish I had some prell - would stay home saturday night and wash my hair.

by Anonymousreply 6508/02/2011

Yes.

I'm 51. Guess this makes me an eldergay, huh?

by Anonymousreply 6608/02/2011

In the coffee commercial at r59, isn't that Conard Fowlkes as the husband, who was in "Dark Shadows"? He just died fairly recently, I heard.

by Anonymousreply 6708/02/2011

You're absolutely right, R67. He died in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 6808/03/2011

The only thing I ever got in a box of detergent was a dead bat.

by Anonymousreply 6908/03/2011

You're looking at $100-200 dollars of the highly collectible Blakely Oil frosted glasses, one given per fillup through the 60's at this SW regional chain. They also gave away nice quality pottery and chinaware, equally prized.

by Anonymousreply 7008/03/2011

I don't remember records which you could cut out of cereal boxes, but I remember flex-disc records.

They weren't always of music, sometimes they just promoted something, basically a commercial was on the disc. Later on, in the 1970s, they were available again, added on to music magazines.

by Anonymousreply 7108/03/2011

Anyone else remember 45s packaged inside potato chip bags? Sometimes you would get something good like the Jackson 5 or the DeFrancos, but usually it was shit like this:

by Anonymousreply 7208/03/2011

Flintstone Jelly Glasses

by Anonymousreply 7308/03/2011

Archies Cereal Box Records on Post Super Sugar Crisp.

You had to cut it out of the back of the box.

4 different singles (all unmarked)

3 of them SUCKED ASS!

But 1 of them was "Sugar Sugar" and you had to keep buying the cereal to get it.

by Anonymousreply 7408/03/2011

S&H Green Stamps

Licking them and putting them in the books used to be MY job.

by Anonymousreply 7508/03/2011

R69 has all the fun! A dead bat is even better than a bar of green dinosaur soap.

by Anonymousreply 7608/03/2011

Yep. I had the job of licking and sticking the Green Stamps. My mom would always get dreadfully practical things. When I was 9, I had my eye on an oil paint by numbers set and begged enough that my father finally relented and got it. I had a lot of fun doing it, but my mother was livid at me and my father about it and carped on us for the two months it took me to finish it. I swear to god that my mother had it framed out of spite and it hung in our living room for years (much to my mortification when high school friends came over). It hung on the living room wall for about 16 years until they sold the house.

by Anonymousreply 7708/03/2011

I remember those, r31! An entire set of classical favorites and Disney theme albums, too. I still have the classical ones :)

by Anonymousreply 7808/03/2011

Remember those, too, r34; I was so excited to get Bobby Sherman's, 'Gettin' Together', off...Alpha Bits? Sugar Crisp?

by Anonymousreply 7908/03/2011

Oh, r58; you just took me back. I forgot all about the little Noah's Arks. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8008/03/2011

[quote]Did your moms ever serve chocolate pudding in the wine glasses like the commercials?

Always. We were just classy like that.

Never chocolate though. My Mother went for the more elegant flavors like pistachio and French vanilla, and the Cool Whip was always at the bottom, never on the top.

by Anonymousreply 8108/03/2011

Pizza Hut furnished out fancy glasses. Mom brought four neighbors along so we could get a full set of the commemorative Christmas glasses. The rims chipped and you always cut your hands while washing them.

The Ronco glass cutter for turning wine bottles into glasses really made my mother roll her eyes. One year she received two separate sets of 'glasses' from alcoholics on different sides of the family.

There was a sawdust filler / white sugar scare that prevented us from purchasing white bread or cereal, so we didn't get prizes. We also didn't get jelly glasses because my mother canned her own to control the pectin.

by Anonymousreply 8208/03/2011

Sinclair Gas Stations! Yes, we had the green soap. Also, we got those blowup dinosaurs for the beach/pool. Anyone from Chicago will remember the Polk Brothers plastic Santa that they got when they purchased their appliance. They were life size, and everyone had them

by Anonymousreply 8308/03/2011

[quote]The Ronco glass cutter for turning wine bottles into glasses really made my mother roll her eyes. One year she received two separate sets of 'glasses' from alcoholics on different sides of the family.

Oh Fuck, I had forgotten about the Ronco glass cutter. I had visions of filling the world with green glasses made from empty wine bottles. I might have made 4, maybe 5 tops, before sheer boredom relegated it to the basement.

Now that I think about it, my Mother must have wasted no time throwing them out, because I remember making them, but no recollection of ever actually using them.

by Anonymousreply 8408/03/2011

In the 30s and 40s, blue Shirley Temple mugs, cereal bowls, and pitchers came inside cereal boxes. These are now in antique stores. (No, I'm not that old at all!! I have found these in thrift stores also.)

by Anonymousreply 8508/03/2011

I got 10 place settings of Blue Willow china at Kroger years ago. I just happened to be in the store the last day of the promotion, and bought all the accessory pieces for 80% off. I have matching platters, serving pieces, butter dish, salt and pepper shakers, and 16-12 oz coffee mugs, among other pieces. I never use any of it anymore.

Our Gulf station had a steak knife promotion, and if you bought at least 8 gallons, you could get a steak knife for 29 cents. Forty years later, and those are still the best steak knives around!

by Anonymousreply 8608/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 8708/04/2011

I remember trading stamps! I'll never forget the battle that raged between us kids to decide what luxury item we could get with those damn stamps. We were separated into two factions: Half of us wanted a sewing machine, the other three wanted a row boat. Our parents made us have a contest to see who got all the stamps--building a house of cards! I almost knocked the whole thing down with my dangling bracelet, but we won when Tiger jumped on Greg, and the whole thing came tumbling down. We got to the store after it closed (they were going out of business), but Cindy put on her sad face and the man let us in. We came home with a color TV for the WHOLE family!

by Anonymousreply 8808/04/2011

When I was a child, I remember National Grocery Stores a had promotional giveaway of green bumpy textured glassware pieces. There was a juice glass, a rock glass, a tumbler, and also a matching pitcher. They were pretty but broke easily.

National also had a promotion around the same time for Funk and Wagnall's "budget style" encyclopedia that my mom collected for a buck or two. They were small, about the size of a desk bible and almond colored with red, black and gold leaf header label on the spine.

Even though they were made cheaply in comparison to regular encyclopedias, they weren't half bad content-wise. They had a couple of glossy header pages at the front of each edition with a dozen or so pretty color photos to fancy them up a bit. I think we were only missing the TUV edition.

I remember once, an encyclopedia saleslady came to the door and I was the only one home. She reminded me of Maryjane Croft from The Lucy Show. She asked me what kind of encyclopedias we had and I grabbed an edition of our older Compton's Encyclopedia rather than go for the newer but cheaper Funk and Wagnall's set we had.

She snootily said this encyclopedias is a 1960 edition, like how dare you show me a fifteen year old encyclopedia. I just stood there at the door thinking well too bad lady, it's been a slice.

by Anonymousreply 8908/04/2011

[quote]I don't think they even put prizes in cereal any more, do they? I remember getting special eyeglasses with no lenses and little aluminum mirrors on the inside so you could see behind you! Not quite X-ray vision but not bad for a box of Alphabets!%0D %0D I kept mine for about 6 years. I would watch people behind me on the bus/train and without them knowing it. Love those glasses.

by Anonymousreply 9008/04/2011

We must have had a dozen of the Tab soda glasses with an hourglass shape. They looked cool, but I was always frustrated by the fact that the ice cubes usually wouldn't fit through the "waist" part.

And we had a full set of plastic ice cream dishes, in a variety of colors, courtesy of the milk man.

by Anonymousreply 9108/04/2011

Looking for glassware that was distributed thru Jewel and Eisner grocery stores. You got a stamp for every so many dollars u spent and when u had a number of stamps u could turn in for the glassware of the week.

by Anonymousreply 9312/30/2012

we had dish towels and glasses with the flowers of the month that we got from the detergent.. we used oleo bowls for cereal bowels and used cheese spread jars from kraft for juice glasses.

by Anonymousreply 9407/18/2014

Which gas station used to give away nice-sized plastic model dinosaurs in red or green?

by Anonymousreply 9507/18/2014

Sinclair

by Anonymousreply 9607/18/2014

We used to get the Christmas glasses offered by Long John Silver's back in the 1980s. The etched ones with nautical themes were silly, but there were a couple years with just some little holly trim on a glass mug that were nice to use for decorations.

by Anonymousreply 9707/18/2014

Love you r83 and the others who remember Sinclair's Dino the Dinosaur. I had the blow up Dino too and I loved that stupid thing.

Great promotional appeal. Funny thing is my dad was a loyal Standard Oil exec and my brother and I pestered the hell out of him to go to Sinclair for their very kid targeted promo giveaways. They were definitely ahead of the marketing curve on that one.

What's your project actually about, OP? I vaguely remember dish towels in laundry detergent but glassware and dishes were mostly gas station and movie theater "collect the whole set" type lures to keep customers coming back every week. The same lures still exist now in various forms so I'm curious where you're going with the "vintage" commercial angle.

by Anonymousreply 9807/19/2014

My friend mother is not well. She took my friend to the basement and give her dishes that she thinks came in oatmeal boxes. There is dinner plates, bowls, cups, saucer and even sugar and creamer. I have been everywhere and can not find anything about them. They have Royal Ivory on the bottom. They are stoneware not china. I would appreciate all the feedback I could get.

by Anonymousreply 9909/06/2014

"But you cain't buy them,

so don't trah please.

You'll only fahnd them

in box-es of Bree-eeze!"

(Look, Porter, they've got purty flahrs on 'em.)

by Anonymousreply 10009/06/2014

Back in the day, my mother collected Betty Crocker box tops to save up in order to trade them in for gold plated dinner ware. She managed to get the entire set.

My parents also collected the Raleigh cigarette's coupons to trade in for freebie ciggies.

by Anonymousreply 10109/06/2014

I still have grocery store giveaway glasses my mother got decades ago. I used to have free dinnerware from Kroger. I gave it away it looked like something for an old lady.

My mother saved Top Value, S&H and especially Eagle stamps. She also did the Betty Crocker coupons which actually got you good quality items. Lots of people saved the silverware and dinnerware sets for daughters, nieces, grandchildren--as "starting out stuff" or for people who were having hard times. I think that's why those promotions never went away.

The weirdest giveaway/cheap promotion I remember were awful "paintings" -- small versions of classics like the Blue Boy.

by Anonymousreply 10209/06/2014

I don't recall who the sponsor/company was, but we collected the Flintstones and Jetsons drinking glasses. Jeez, I wish I still had those.

by Anonymousreply 10309/06/2014

I still have my Flintstones drinking glasses. Were they from a gas station? I don't remember. Are they worth anything?

by Anonymousreply 10409/07/2014

shreeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee eeeeeeek

by Anonymousreply 10509/07/2014

Try this site, R99.

by Anonymousreply 10609/07/2014

No, but I remember 'dish night' at the movies. And no, it wasn't about a big goss-fest.

by Anonymousreply 10709/07/2014

I may be a little late with reply, but I have a set of stemware that my mom saved from boxes of Duz powder laundry detergent era late 60's or early 70's. She also had saved a complete set of flatware.

by Anonymousreply 10909/28/2014

Welch's Flintstones glasses:

by Anonymousreply 11009/28/2014

Up into the 70's my mother still had dish towels made from old blue and white flour sacks. The flour was in the prize, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 11109/28/2014

My mother didn't get into any of this stuff, but my grandmother had a set of large water goblets with 1/2" gold rims that she said came out of boxes of Duz. They were so beautiful, I always told her she was making it up.

by Anonymousreply 11209/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.