Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Hasn''t Angela Lansbury Written Her Autobiography?

What the fuck is she waiting for?? Gay husband, kids on drugs, and running with Charles Manson. She's 86 years old, and could use the funds, not to mention the publicity. She could me dead in a month. What's the holdup??

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2013

"She could use the funds"

Ever heard of Murder, She Wrote"?

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2011

Running with Charles Manson???

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2011

She had a gay husband?

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2011

R2, Her daughter hung out with Charles Manson in the 60's. I think her daughter is kind of nuts. R3 She married a guy back in the 40's and he was in the closet. Most likely he was one of those lunatics who claimed he was really bisexual. They eventually got a divorcee because obliviously it was an issue. Also, she is loaded from her TV series and various Broadway shows. Sweeney Todd was a big Broadway hit.

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2011

From IMDb bio:%0D %0D [quote]After filming Baby Face Morgan (1942), he joined the Coast Guard and served for two years. Returning to civilian life, he settled comfortably into his art work -- ceramics and pottery, in particular. By chance, he met promising young British actress Angela Lansbury who was 16 years his junior and raking up Oscar nominations over at MGM with superb work in Gaslight (1944) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945). The couple eloped in September of 1945 but the marriage was over almost before it began. They separated within a few months and were divorced before the year was out. Unbeknownst to the outside world at the time, Richard's latent homosexuality was the undoing factor here. Cromwell and Lansbury continued a sincere, respectful friendship after their divorce.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2011

The Martin Gottfried book BALANCING ACT is an authorized biography.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2011

She's not the woman her public persona would have you believe. If she wrote a truthful autobiography, the cognitive dissonance would be more than the kids at ATC could handle. If she just peddled a lie... well, what's the point of duplicating her acting style?

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2011

I have a friend who worked with her on a project. Claims that she is the nastiest woman he ever met in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2011

r8, moar!!

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2011

I thought it was her brother Broadway producer Edgar Lansbury who was suspect....

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2011

She's far from the nastiest woman in show biz, but she's a true survivor in a tough business. Now into her 8th decade in the business, she can defend her interests. To be sure.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2011

Edgar I know. He's a peach.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2011

I have two friends who worked with her who have only good things to say about her. She can be quite form about what she will or won't do, but she is professional and never nasty. Another friend said she is quite kind, hard working and notably classy.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2011

She screwed my friend out of a large sum of money. So yeah, she a survivor who can look after her own interest at the expense of others.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2011

R14, you just can't post that and not go into details.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2011

Sweeney Todd was NOT a hit on broadway, it didn't make money on broadway. It might have on tour but def not in the initial run.

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2011

Because some people, who have a modicum of class and good breeding, don't feel the need to "bare all" for the titilation of the masses. Some things are no one else's business and should remain secret. Do you tell everyone, everything about yourself without reservation? Why should she?

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2011

She most certainly does not need the money

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2011

Uhhh, her second husband, Peter Shaw, was gay, too. They had the kids together but still. Shaw was an incredibly beautiful looking man.

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2011

There is no story R15 R8/14 is full of shit. Lansbury's kids are fine R2. Both of them ran around briefly with people in Manson's group, but so did a number of other industry people during that time.

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2011

Someone once tried to write her biography, but he was murdered the day before he was to send the book, a tell-all that named names, to his publisher. His maid found him face down on his computer with a knife in his back. Angie tried to solve the case, but it came to a dead end.

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2011

The story is that she had an option on a book he had written. There was supposed to be payment for writing he would do (treatments, etc.) in the service of her getting a film from the book produced. She was very demanding, so he did a lot of work on this and she reneged on making the contracted payments.

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2011

Oh, please. Her son was so involved with the Manson family, Angie had to smuggle him out of America and into Ireland. She feared for her son's life.

by Anonymousreply 2308/02/2011

I loved her in "Lace."

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2011

R23, from what I've read, she didn't smuggle him. She moved the family to Ireland when he was a teen, she said, to get him away from drug influences. There was a season or so of MSW filmed in Ireland and England while she was living there.

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2011

She then smuggled him into France while she was filming "Mrs. Arris Goes to Paris."

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2011

Maybe she could reveal that she's five years older than she claims?

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2011

She smuggled her son into Costa Rica when they went on a family vacation. No real need, they just thought it was a gas to smuggle him everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 2808/02/2011

All I know is that Jerry Herman was straight until he had to work with Angie in Mame.

by Anonymousreply 2908/02/2011

And then to Nazi Germany . . . on a flying bed!

by Anonymousreply 3008/02/2011

Am I the only gay person that couldn't care less about Angela Lansbury?

by Anonymousreply 3108/02/2011

Lansbury moved to Ireland in the late '60s/early '70s.%0D %0D They only filmed a couple of episodes of MSW in Ireland

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2011

"Her son was a follower of Charles Manson's gang. After the Sharon Tate murders, she thought it best to get him out of the country. She took him to Ireland to help him with his drug problems."

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2011

Her son was middle aged by the time of Murder She Wrote. She went to Ireland in the 70s. That is when she did Bednobs and Broomsticks and worked on stage in London, notably in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2011

Angela Lansbury could use the money?%0D %0D Unless she's suddenly developed a major drug or gambling addiction, she's quite comfortable I assure you.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2011

Not really relevant, but here is an article detailing her Ireland home.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2011

Having kids in a cult, let alone the Manson Family, is not the same as running with them.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2011

I heard there's an Angela Alert for the TSA. Agents are under strict orders to allow Ms. Lansbury through security while they completely ignore the 'Are we there yet, Ma? Huh? Are we there?' sounds made by the middle-aged child she has stuffed under her skirt.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2011

Her son ended up as one of the producers of MSW.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2011

It was her daughter who'd run away to the Manson family, not her son. I had the first edition of Helter Skelter and it was in the book. Landsbury had all references removed in further editions.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2011

r22, those are the brakes, kid. That's how Hollywood rolls. Your friend is just sour grapes.

And for God's sake, it's not like her son was Manson himself.

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2011

I googled Lansbury Manson and a thread from earlier this year came up.

Another article came up about it, but my company has it blocked.

by Anonymousreply 4208/02/2011

That thread at R42 has only 3 posts on it - the original question about Lansbury's kids and Manson, and 2 replies. Reply 1 says it was her daughter Deirdre who was linked to Manson, and Reply 2 says both Deirdre and son Anthony were big heroin addicts (which is why she took them to Ireland and away from LA).%0D %0D Anthony did become a producer/director on MSW about 20 years later....

by Anonymousreply 4308/02/2011

There is so much misinformation in this thread my head has gone into a lavender haze.

by Anonymousreply 4408/02/2011

Marian dear, that haze is from the stroke you had a year or so back. It's why you can't act anymore....

by Anonymousreply 4508/02/2011

She went to Ireland long before MSW. She was living back in the States when she began that series.

by Anonymousreply 4608/02/2011

She's been too busy with her career.

by Anonymousreply 4708/02/2011

She's been too busy gettin' her pussy licked.

by Anonymousreply 4808/02/2011

R4, she may be loaded, have all those assets, but she's still an insecure, needy actress who won't stop acting (for the APPLAUSE, the LOVE) until they have to drag her off the stage.

And I should know!

by Anonymousreply 4908/02/2011

All the bitchin and moanin that ham of a gargoyle has done over being passed over for the film version of MAME is just camouflage because she wouldn't have done it anyway if she were even asked at the time because she was in Ireland protecting her children from Manson's reach, both physical and psychological.

by Anonymousreply 5008/02/2011

r49 %0D %0D Or maybe she found retirement boring

by Anonymousreply 5108/02/2011

I have heard she is a super nice lady. Mr. Blackwell once said that if he wasn't gay he would have gone after Angela because he considered her a super sweet and kind human being. Someone on Dl in the past said she made sure actors she knew who were older and who couldn't get work anymore get some acting parts on her show. As I recall, someone on DL in the past also said, Madlyn Rhue was an out of work actress who was suffing from multiple sclerosis,and had no health insurance. Angela got Madlyn Rhue on her show to do some parts so Madlyn Rhue could get insurance again.

by Anonymousreply 5208/02/2011

Whatever happened to Tony? After he got dumped by Carly and found out the baby wasn't even his he kind of became pathetic and faded away. I know Carly shot him but he lived.

by Anonymousreply 5308/02/2011

Angie brought back many of her old Metro pals for cameos on Murder She Wrote!

by Anonymousreply 5408/02/2011

When MAME was being filmed, Angie was holed up in Ireland with the kids so that they could all escape being subpoenaed by the LA County District Attorney. %0D %0D Wouldn't that have been a pretty picture! Miss Lansbury on the witness stand in the Sharon Tate murders, telling all she knew about the Manson family and explaining why she let her teen-aged daughter travel with that obviously sick bastard.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5508/02/2011

I'd love to have read the chapter where she got fucked by Andrew Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 5608/03/2011

R55: Damn, that would have been television gold! I know her son was also involved with Manson because I remember Angie speaking about it in an interview of Youtube. I tried to find it again, but I was unsuccessful.

by Anonymousreply 5708/03/2011

I once read a couple of online gossip sites that Angle Lansbury had a sexual affair with Elvis when they were in a movie together.

by Anonymousreply 5808/09/2011

R8, as I live and breathe! It's been so long. I see you're still a slandering asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5908/09/2011

Her first husband (the gay one), actor Richard Cromwell, was a real cute twink back in the day. He was groomed to be the "next big thing" but it didn't happen. This picture of him from one of his movies is a scream (see link)

by Anonymousreply 6008/09/2011

R55 is full of shit. Neither one of her kids were actual followers on Manson, nor were they ever going to be questioned. They were friendly with members of his group. A lot of the "family" were dealing to a number of famous people and kids of famous people.

by Anonymousreply 6108/09/2011

Is it true that after the Tate murders were done and the Family had left, it was Angie who went to the house and wrote "Pig" on the door in Sharon's blood to throw cops off the track and make them believe it was a Satanic killing?

by Anonymousreply 6208/09/2011

r25, your timing is way off. Murder She Wrote was never filmed in England and Ireland (except, perhaps, for some location shooting). The series was filmed at Universal Studios, and Lansbury had moved back to LA by that point. Her departure to Ireland was in the early 1970s. She did GYPSY in England, and then came back to the states with that show, and stayed (1974-75).

by Anonymousreply 6308/10/2011

[quote]They eventually got a divorcee because obliviously it was an issue.

It must have been a gay divorcee that they got obliviously. Did they wake up one morning and say "Oh my God, we've got a divorcee in our house"?

by Anonymousreply 6408/10/2011

Is it true that Lansbury actually detested "Murder, She Wrote" and the Jessica Fletcher character, but stayed with the show all those years because her sense of guilt about not doing more to prevent the Manson murders found some comfort in portraying a perfect crime-stopper week after week?

by Anonymousreply 6508/10/2011

R65, that was also her reason for doing the cheap revival of "Mame" in '83 - Manson survivor guilt.

by Anonymousreply 6608/10/2011

Her daughter looks like female Mick Jagger:

by Anonymousreply 6704/02/2012

[quote]She then smuggled him into France while she was filming "Mrs. Arris Goes to Paris."

She then smuggled him into The North Pole while she was filming "Mrs. Santa Claus."

by Anonymousreply 6804/02/2012

r67, I was thinking Steven Tyler. Wow, that's a major wrinklefest she has going on.

by Anonymousreply 6904/03/2012

OP, perhaps she is not a fame whore. Lansbury has been in the public eye for over half a century - she received her first Oscar nomination at the age of 18 in 1944 for 'Gaslight'.

Perhaps she doesn't feel the need for more attention when she has had it all her life.

by Anonymousreply 7004/03/2012

She and her daughter look like they had special effects make-up on their faces to play the monsters from the THRILLER video. yikes.

by Anonymousreply 7104/03/2012

No happy woman writes her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 7204/03/2012

Angela knowing the Manson family is just so fun!!

"and no wonder with the price of meat, what it is, when you get it. Good you got it."

by Anonymousreply 7304/03/2012

R73 how the hell do you know she could use the funds??? You sound ridiculous. Angela Lansbury has an amazing body of work, she's worked with the best of the best. Not everyone is a media whore and willing to tell their private business. Sounds like YOU could use the funds

by Anonymousreply 7404/03/2012

huh? I was talking meat pies? not money r74!

by Anonymousreply 7504/03/2012

She definitely doesn't need the funds. She is a multi-millionaire. And she is 86 and will be 87 in October. I doubt she feels she needs more money at this stage of life.

by Anonymousreply 7604/03/2012

The 86 year old Angela Lansbury is so great she will skip 87 and go right to 88!

by Anonymousreply 7704/03/2012

zero Oscars, zero emmys

by Anonymousreply 7804/03/2012

But 5 Tonys, Meryl, so she's got you beat at something.

And I've got you beat at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 7904/03/2012

musical theatre doesn't count

by Anonymousreply 8004/03/2012

She must have been tough to have taken her kids off to Ireland for several years when they (or he - her son presumably) had drug problems, though that would not work in the Ireland of today.

by Anonymousreply 8104/03/2012

Why, R81?

by Anonymousreply 8204/03/2012

Theres tons of drugs in Ireland now, even in the small village I grew up in and still sometimes visit ...

with internet and cable tv channels kids there now are like kids everywhere else - my nephew of 16 has his own laptop and internet connection, so taking your kids over there to avoid the drug scene just would not happen now.

Also, people generally only write their autobio when they need to replenish their coffers, or are down on their luck - Angela should be quite comfortably off and obviously has no need to. She should though have some great stories as she must have worked with just about everyone ...

by Anonymousreply 8304/04/2012

I am currently reading the new Manson biography and in the early days of Charlie building his "family", Angela Lansbury's daughter was involved. The gook says she never left home to live with Charlie's group, but Charlie and a the girls met her after school to shop, since she had a credit card that was paid by Angela.

The book said they bought clothes and auto parts for their vehicles. Angela ended up canceling the credit cards and then Charlie had no use for the kid anymore.

I still have a few chapters to go until Helter Skelter comes down, so I don't know if the Lansbury family will re-enter the story again.

The book is outstanding so far. I've enjoyed learning about how the historic events shaped Charlie's attitudes, and how his experiences shaped the events we all heard about. For example, Charlie took a Dale Carnegie course in prison, and also studied Scientology, as well as getting advice from pimps who were locked up.

Charlie walked out of years of prison right into the Summer of Love in the Haight, right when the tide was turning in the opposite direction. He was incredibly racist and sexist, and knew exactly what he was doing when he recruited his followers.

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!