by George Platt Lynes.

by Anonymousreply 9607/08/2013

another 1942 photo:

by Anonymousreply 207/21/2011

For r6

by Anonymousreply 1007/21/2011

anyone know if Yul was ever with a man?

by Anonymousreply 1107/21/2011

Nice cock, a very difficult person though, he was very very competitive. Certainly handsome anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1206/27/2013

Very sexy man.

by Anonymousreply 1406/27/2013

Hot yes.

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2013

He is totally forgotten today, but he was a big star in his time.

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2013

R16, he is not forgotten for those who know at least a few things about old classic cinema.

Yul Brynner and Gertrude Lawrence, 1951, in a publicity shot for "The King and I" stage production

(When a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2013

r19 the general public has no idea who Yul Brynner was anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

R18, Yul didn't get along with Steve during the shooting of 'The Magnificent Seven'. Actually Yul Brunner was acting like the diva of the movie and he made everything possible to show that to Steve and to the rest of the ensemble. Steve was striving to make a big hit in the big screen, he was already very popular by then to the small screen with the series Wanted:Dead or Alive in which he was starring.

Yul Brynner wanted all the attention of the camera to him and sometimes he was stealing scenes from the others by adding things. When Steve noticed that and tried to do the same with some scenes, Yul made it clear to him that he didn't like it and he wouldn't accept it. They really didn't get along. Yul was the major star of the film, he was very pompous with his stardom and most of his male co-stars hated the black limousine that was part of his entourage.

Yul Brynner didn't want the German and handsome Horst Buchholz to be one of The Magnificent Seven because he didn't want anyone else from another country to impress the audience with his 'exotic' looks. Yul wanted only himself to offer that kind of exotic charm to the audience. However, the director of The Magnificent Seven, John Sturges really wanted Horst Buchholz, so he took the part. Yul kept his distance from Buchholz from the beginning of the movie until the very end of it.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

R16 is such a silly little thing.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013

Yul Brynner tells 'Moses' to say 'cheese' on the set of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS 1956

by Anonymousreply 2406/27/2013

Charlton Heston was a hottie too, right?

by Anonymousreply 2506/27/2013

Kissing Judy...

by Anonymousreply 2606/27/2013

Would you choose Yul or Steve for an one night stand?

by Anonymousreply 2706/27/2013

Steve was such a hottie as well, what a blond sexy babe!

by Anonymousreply 2806/27/2013

1958 Candid Photo Yul Brynner Maria Schell The Brothers Karamazov

by Anonymousreply 2906/27/2013

Yul photographed Ingrid Bergman.

He was an active photographer and wrote two books. His daughter Victoria put together Yul Brynner: Photographer, a collection of his photographs of family, friends, and fellow actors, as well as those he took while serving as a UN special consultant on refugees.

Brynner wrote Bring Forth the Children: A Journey to the Forgotten People of Europe and the Middle East (1960), with photographs by himself and Magnum photographer Inge Morath, and also The Yul Brynner Cookbook: Food Fit for the King and You

A student of music from childhood, Brynner was an accomplished guitarist. In his early period in Europe he often played and sang gypsy songs in Parisian nightclubs with Aliosha Dimitrievitch. He sang some of those same songs in the film The Brothers Karamazov. In 1967 he and Dimitrievitch released a record album The Gypsy and I: Yul Brynner Sings Gypsy Songs

by Anonymousreply 3006/27/2013

Steve McQueen's cock.

by Anonymousreply 3106/27/2013

Hmmm, nice R31, very nice

by Anonymousreply 3206/27/2013

Any more thoughts on Horst Bucholz? Now, he was a major hottie who didn't last long!

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

Looks like once Yul started shaving his head, he started shaving everything else, too.

He had such lovely sexy HAIRY forearms in those 2 photos at r12 and r13.

Was Gertrude Lawrence a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

She was about as gay as Peggy Joyce.

by Anonymousreply 3506/27/2013

R33, in case you haven't read this...voila!

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

R33, take this too...

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013

And a "different" look for Yul, in "The Magic Christian"

by Anonymousreply 3806/28/2013

Lol R38 and wow!

by Anonymousreply 3906/28/2013

Long term, very passionate affair with Marlene Dietrich while he was on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4006/28/2013

I always thought Horst Buchholz looked like a mini-Maximilian Schell.

by Anonymousreply 4206/28/2013

He has Gay Face in R1's photo link.

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2013

He fucked Judy Garland. He also had an affair with Marlene Dietrich. He'd come over after doing "The King and I" and fuck her in his body makeup. She loved the smears his body would leave on her sheets. He eventually ended the affair and she never forgave him. He always spoke kindly of her, but she hated him ever after. After he got cancer, she happened to see a picture of him looking frail and ill and spat "serves him right!" Nasty woman.

by Anonymousreply 4406/28/2013

Was Gertrude Lawrence a dyke!!????

by Anonymousreply 4506/28/2013

r45, your question was answered at r35.

by Anonymousreply 4606/28/2013

R44 I thought Marlene Dietrich was lesbian? Not bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 4706/28/2013

"I thought Marlene Dietrich was lesbian? Not bisexual?'

She fucked anything, male or female. I thought everybody knew that. Dietrich was an uber-slut.

by Anonymousreply 4806/28/2013

Sexy man, Yul. Beautiful full dark bush and nice suckable intact cock.

by Anonymousreply 5006/28/2013

It was the brilliant costume designer Irene Sharaff who suggested Yul shave his head to play the King of Siam.

Nowadays, that doesn't seem like much of a concept but it was a revolutionary look back then.

If anything, it surprises me that more balding men didn't follow suit and make it a trend back then.

by Anonymousreply 5106/28/2013

Nothing's wrong with his dick R49 he's not cut which is the way a penis is supposed to be unmutilated.

by Anonymousreply 5206/29/2013

It looks like those weird link sausages you get in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 5306/29/2013

Yul Brynner, Doris Brynner and Audrey Hepburn. Doris and Audrey were friends.

by Anonymousreply 5506/29/2013

The Brothers Karamazov (1958) with Maria Schell

by Anonymousreply 5606/29/2013

Yul with his wife Doris

by Anonymousreply 5706/29/2013

Yul had always a profound admiration for Brando. Asked years later who his favourite actor was, Yul replied, 'Marlon Brando. He touches me the most and he makes some of the most obvious mistakes. I have a kind of sacred spot in me that is important to me, entailing purity of intention. I think Marlon has that too.'

by Anonymousreply 5806/29/2013

Greta Garbo was the lesbian. Marlene Dietrich liked the pole and the hole.

by Anonymousreply 5906/29/2013

John Sturges(the director of The Magnificent Seven)admitted that there was friction between Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen but downplayed the suggestion that it ever amounted to a feud. He explained, 'Yul was like a rock, while Steve was volatile.'

When a local newspaper printed an article about the Brynner-McQueen rivalry, the news quickly spread to the American press. When Yul read it, he walked up to McQueen, newspaper in hand, grabbed him by his shoulder and ordered him to tell the press they were not fighting on the set. Yul added that he was an established star and did not feud with supporting actors. McQueen, irritated by Yul's behavior, yelled at him to keep his hands off him and to go to hell. The following day, in a brief statement for the press, Yul denied that there was bad blood between him and McQueen, stating, 'I never feud with actors. I feud with studios.'

Off the set, the cast members of 'The Magnificent Seven', spent most of their time playing poker or gin rummy, drinking and enjoying the local food. Solitary and taciturn Charles Bronson often stood apart.

From Yul Brynner:A Biography written by Michelangelo Capua

by Anonymousreply 6006/29/2013

Yul Brynner,Steve McQueen, Brad Dexter, and Horst Bucholz enjoy refreshments on a break from filming THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)

by Anonymousreply 6106/29/2013

Yul almost naked...

by Anonymousreply 6206/29/2013

I forgot to add that the previous photo was a test photo for the ‘Ten Commandments’ costume designer. It’s becoming clear that they must have shaved Yul down completely to play Ramses!

by Anonymousreply 6306/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 6406/29/2013

Pensive Brynner

by Anonymousreply 6506/29/2013

According to the biography written by Rock Brynner, Yul Brynner’s son, Yul was having an affair with Marylin Monroe during casting for ‘The Brothers Karamazov’. Marylin was very keen to play Grushenka but producers felt she didn’t have the acting ability to succeed in this serious role. The part went to Maria Schell.

by Anonymousreply 6606/29/2013

On the town in Paris with model Marie Hélène Arnaud. Champagne aplenty!

by Anonymousreply 6706/29/2013

With exquisite Deborah Kerr

by Anonymousreply 6806/29/2013

Yul Bynner giving Eli Wallach a shave on the set of “Romance of a Horsethief.”

by Anonymousreply 6906/29/2013

Yul, Doris, Victoria and their dogs Chante and Pancho, Chaniviaz, Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 7006/29/2013

A scene of Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr in “The Journey”

by Anonymousreply 7106/29/2013

Bushy pleasure

by Anonymousreply 7206/29/2013

He was very, very, very handsome.

And very, very, very sensual. ”

— Deborah Kerr [about Yul Brynner]

by Anonymousreply 7306/29/2013

Brynner was so famous in his day, and now nobody knows who he was, except for a few older people.

by Anonymousreply 7406/29/2013

I'm 29 and i know him. I was aware of him since childhood. Over extreme popularity doesn't make someone greater than someone who is less popular. It doesn't matter if all people know your name. It's silly if someone believes that a person makes the difference only if most people know about him/her.

by Anonymousreply 7506/29/2013

If people still watch "The Ten Commandments" every easter, maybe he's not so unknown.

God knows he's the only thing worth watching in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 7606/29/2013

I think the films The Ten Commandments and The King and I will be watched for a long time to come and will insure his immortality in Hollywood history as much as anyone's.

Was his marriage to Doris a long one? I assume she just looked the other way and made it work?

by Anonymousreply 7706/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2013

He was more sexy than Steve McQueen. McQueen was another kind of a hottie. They both had SEX APPEAL though.

by Anonymousreply 7907/01/2013

Oh babe!

by Anonymousreply 8007/01/2013

The world in his hands

by Anonymousreply 8107/01/2013

R77, his marriage to Doris Kleiner lasted seven years. It was his second marriage. He married four times.

I read that Yul was never a monogamous guy. He loved women and they loved him back. The women he married knew he couldn`t be tied down, he let that be known right up front.

Excerpts from Michelangelo Capua’s book Yul Brynner:A Biography.

Just before replacing Tyrone power in Solomon and Sheba, at a party in Versailles, Yul met Doris Kleiner, a beautiful, classy and sophisticated girl who was working for haute couture designer Pierre Cardin. Kleiner was born in Yugoslavia but spent most of her childhood in Chile. In the 1950s she moved to Paris, mingling with international high society, and became one of the most elegant women in Europe. Yul and Doris immediately fell in love. Her charm was a great comfort for him, especially during the difficult separation from his first wife Virginia Gilmore. Gilmore had refused Yul’s offer, as part of the alimony agreement of a percentage of the gross of his next film, The Magnificent Seven, lacking confidence in that project and in her former husband’s career.

‘He had a fantastic personality’, Doris remembered when asked about Yul. ‘He was strong, he was gregarious, he was sexy, he was good-looking, he was talented. He was marvelous! He was at the prime of everything everybody can have. And he had a wonderful 13-year-old son and there he was this hunk of a fellow with no hair!’ Each time Yul went to Europe he met with Doris; then when he moved to Switzerland, he asked her to live with him in a beautiful villa he had rented by a lake. Doris also met Rock(Yul nicknamed him ‘ Rock’ when he was six years old in honor of boxer Rocky Graziano) whose custody after the divorce was given to Virginia. But Virginia agreed to let him study at an exclusive Swiss school so he could be closer to his beloved father. Doris introduced Yul to her circle of friends and as Victoria Brynner (Yul’s and Doris’s daughter) pointed out, ‘She brought to him a whole sophistication and taste which he knew about instinctively but he really did not know materially speaking.’

In Steve McQueen's biography by Marc Eliot it it is also written:

In March 1960, when Yul went on location for The Magnificent Seven, the couple decided to get married in Mexico during the shooting of the film. Being a newlywed didn’t stop Yul from being Yul. On a few occasions during the shoot , Yul summoned the beautiful young Mexican actress, Rosenda Monteros, to his trailer after Doris drove in their Cadillac.

by Anonymousreply 8207/01/2013

Victoria Brynner (daughter of Yul from his marriage to Doris Kleiner) publishes Yul Brynner: A Photographic Journey

‘My Dad took shots around the world, although most of the ones of me were taken in in Switzerland, where I was born in 1962 and raised. He took more than 8,000 pictures, from the 1950s through to the 1970s, of film stars in moments of downtime. Nobody else was doing it back then. My theory is that he’d always secretly wanted to be a director. Shortly after he died in 1985, his friend Karl Lagerfeld suggested I compile the photos into a book. I ended up with four volumes of Yul Brynner: A Photographic Journey which I’ve now turned into an exhibition. Today we tend to call these people ‘celebrities’, but I hardly ever saw them in that way. Audrey Hepburn, for instance, was my mum’s best friend. She lived four blocks from our house and picked me up when I had my tonsils out.

Then there was Elizabeth Taylor, my godmother. She was so special and nobody-man or woman-could resist her. Yet she was so unadorned and natural in her private life, and you can see that in Dad’s pictures. She was very generous with presents. Every birthday, right up until last year when she gave me amazing white orchids, I’d get things like like Hermès sweaters, Kelly bags and beautiful pieces of Loree Rodkin jewellery. Richard Burton taught me to drive when he lived in Switzerland. I was in my teens and scared because the Swiss are strict about rules, even though I was on farm roads. I kept saying: ‘But we are going to be caught!’ and he’d boom: ‘Of course we’re not! I’m Richard Burton and you’re Yul Brynner’s daughter!’

I was very close to my father. When I was a child, he’d take me off on crazy mystery car rides, where we’d set out to get lost. We’d laugh so much. We were together a lot until I was eight, when he split from my mum, his second wife. Transitions are never easy, but we made the best of it. I made friends with his third wife, Jacqueline Thion de la Chaum, and also his fourth, a Malaysian ballerina called Kathy, who was in her twenties when they married, although my relationship with her wasn’t easy at the end, when he was ill.

We had a house in Normandy, where Dad indulged his love of animals. He had a million bullfrogs, some penguins and a lot of pigeons. Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin used to visit. Serge smoked a lot and wore white plimsolls, and I thought he was weird when I first met him. My Dad was Charlotte Gainsbourg’s godfather, and I worked with her recently via my LA-based celebrity photo agency, Stardust Visions.

It’s funny how you don’t pay attention... You think your parents are going to last forever. Dad went through a lot of pain at the end of his life, when he had lung cancer. But he was a very deep man. He’d studied philosophy in Paris, where Jean Cocteau was his best friend, and before he died at 65, he became a Buddhist. I remember some very good advice he gave me about heartache. He didn’t believe in ruminating. He told me that a thought doesn’t last that long. And if it does, you’re making it last longer than you should.’

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2013

‘Yul is a good actor for sure, but when it comes to riding horses or handling guns he’s laughable’ -Steve McQueen

Excerpts from Marc Eliot’s book Steve McQueen: A Biography

More than the others, throughout the entire production of The Magnificent Seven, during scenes Steve continued to wave hats, play with gun, and do everything he could to take the audience’s eyes off Brynner , who was known to have a very short fuse. He grew increasingly frustrated and noticeably angry over what he considered to be Steve’s obstinate disrespect. According to Brad Dexter, who witnessed the incident, after Steve took his hat off while he was in the background of a three-shot that featured Brynner in the forefront, ‘Brynner turned around and said to Steve, ‘Do this one more time, and in any scene you have all I have to do is take my hat off and you won’t be seen anymore!’

Steve remembered the tension between him and Brynner this way: ‘No we didn’t get along. Listen, I’m a pretty fast draw. I’m a farm boy, man, I grew up around horses and guns. I know how to handle them. When we were making The Magnificent Seven Brynner came up to me one day in front of a lot of people and grabbed me by the shoulder. He was mad about something-I don’t know what. He doesn’t ride well and he knows nothing about guns so maybe he though I represented a threat. I was in my element. He wasn’t. Anyway, I don’t like people pawning me. ‘Take your hands off me’, I said. What had I got to lose from a little fight? I’ve got a busted nose and teeth missing and stitches in my lips and I’m deaf in the right ear…When you work in a scene with Yul you’re supposed to stand perfectly still ten feet away. Well, I don’t work that way. So I protected myself.’

Steve said that he grew up with horses and guns, however, earlier in this Steve McQueen biography it was written this about Steve and his relationship with horses:

‘CBS was hesitant about keeping Steve in the lead for Wanted: Dead or Alive (TV series). Powell was concerned that Steve wasn’t big or tall enough to be believable in the role of a tough-guy bounty hunter. Besides, Steve didn’t know how to ride horses. However, when Powell saw some early rushes of the first episode of the series, his attitude changed. Once he experienced firsthand Steve’s star power, he knew the show would be a hit. The only problem was, Steve hated horses. ‘I’d done one or two western shows before and had just refused to get on one of these animals’, Steve said. ‘But with this series I had no choice. They sent me over to a stable and I got up on a horse and he threw me two seconds later. I can ride pretty good now, but I don’t have to like it. When a horse learns to buy martininis, I’ll learn to like horses!’

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2013

From the same Steve McQueen biography it is interesting also this creepy incident...

While waiting for the arrival of his second child, Steve took to driving around in his brand new Jaguar prototype XK-55, for which he had paid the then hefty price of $5,000. The problem was, he liked to drive it day and night at speeds well above the hilly canyon’s limits, with an engine that didn’t benefit from any kind of effective muffler system, the growl it produced being one of his attractions. It was the noise that got Steve into an altercation with his new neighbor, fifty-year-old Edmund W.George, an electrical supervisor, already furious at Steve because his dogs barked continuously twenty-four hours a day. George had already called the police several times to complain about the noise, something the police did nothing about. On November 21, 1960, with Neile close to delivering, Steve took his sixteen-month-old daughter and his dog for a walk along the canyon’s twisty road. According to Neile in her memoir, because it was the Christmas season Steve wanted to smooth over the bad feelings that had developed between him and George. Late afternoon, Steve knocked on George’s door. According to Neile, Steve extended his hand and said, ‘Hi, let’s be friends,’ to which George responded, ‘Get off my land, you coward.’ Steve was stunned by the response, figuring that George had called him that because he, Steve, was holding his daughter in his arms. Steve put her down and punched the neighbor in the face. George put his hand to his chin and said in disbelief, ‘You hit me!’ ‘Right, motherfucker, and I’m gonna hit you again!’-and did. By the time George got up, his wife had come running of the house, and Steve accidentally hit her in the face instead of George. When the police arrived, they listened to both sides of the story, including George’s insistence that Steve had hit him first. Claiming they saw no visible signs of a physical fight despite the wife’s bruised face, they left without pressing charges.

On December 28, 1960, Neile gave birth to a baby boy they named Chadwick Stevenson McQueen. 'I knew i wouldn't be pressured to have another child', Neile later wrote, 'since we now had what what Steve wanted most. A son.'

This tumultuous year officially came to an end New Year's Eve with the late-night delivery of a Western Union telegram from Florida that read, 'Happy New Year happy new baby.' It was signed Doris and Yul Brynner.

by Anonymousreply 8507/01/2013

Yul Brynner Tribute

A very handsome and sexy man

An intense man.

Despite his character flaws, Yul Brynner undoubtedly possessed a unique charm. It's so pleasing to see him behind the screen.

by Anonymousreply 8607/02/2013

Yul in drag looks a bit like Maria Schell. He could have played both parts in "Brothers Karamzov"

by Anonymousreply 8707/02/2013

Don't. Smoke.

Whatever you do...please.

Don't. Smoke.

Oh, and he was bald.

by Anonymousreply 8807/02/2013

You can have all these prima donnas with their boasting and bragging and who can shoot a gun and ride a horse and fuck some groupies and punch out their neighbors, I'll take that big, handsome bear, Brad Dexter, any day of the week.

He knew them all intimately, from Marilyn Monroe to Frank Sinatra. In fact he saved Sinatra's life when Frank almost drowned. Married for a short while to the divine Miss Peggy Lee. Close mouthed when asked questions about his famous friends.

Lived a nice long life to 85.

by Anonymousreply 8907/02/2013

R89, i had no idea that he was married to Peggy Lee!

What a pity his career began to decline after the Magnificent Seven. He was a good actor.

I have read in a Steve McQueen Biography(the one mentioned above)that during the period of making the Magnificent Seven, Brad Dexter invited Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn to visit with him a brothel.

'Off the set, Steve and Vaughn became close friends, and on Good Friday 1960, when all work had to be shut down because of the strictness of the Catholic-dominated Mexican government, the two of them at Brad Dexter's invitation, decided to visit what Dexter told them was 'one of the finest brothels in North America.' Steve was all for it; he had loved hookers before he was married and saw no reason why he shouldn't love them now. When they arrived they were greeted by a blond madam who treated the three movie actors like foreign dignitaries. They all quickly got drunk on margaritas; Brad disappeared with two girls, and Steve and Vaughn shared seven others, together in one silken-pillowed room.

At around midnight, Vaughn reminded Steve they had to film the next day. 'I said to Steve, let's pay our bill and get out of here,' Vaughn later recalled. 'I hadn't yet heard about Steve's famous habit of not carrying any money. He replied, 'Hey, man, could you loan me some dinero?' The bill came to something like seven hundred dollars. They split up and Vaughn managed to get back to the hotel, and didn't see Steve again until he showed up the morning forty-five minutes later for his first scene, badly hangover. He told Vaughn not to worry, he had talked his way out of the situation. Vaughn did not pursue the matter.

by Anonymousreply 9007/03/2013

For R31 (in case you have missed that, just in

by Anonymousreply 9107/03/2013

Strange, but until I enlarged r91's photo, I thought it was Yul with a wig.

by Anonymousreply 9207/03/2013

Damn, didn't know he was THAT hot!

by Anonymousreply 9307/03/2013

I worked at the Kennedy Center in 1975 at the same time as Brynner was there with the horrible flop Odyssey (which was renamed Home Sweet Homer). His show was at the Opera House and ours was at the Eisenhower but the dressing rooms were situated very close to each other. I walked by Brynner's dressing room once and the door was open. He was sitting spread-eagled on a chair wearing nothing but black briefs, his feet up on the dressing table. I jerk off at least once a year from that indelible image.

by Anonymousreply 9407/05/2013

Sorry, i made a mistake. Yul Brynner didn't sleep with Steve McQueen's first wife. It was Maximilian Schell not Yul Brynner.

by Anonymousreply 9507/06/2013

Thanks for that memory R94

by Anonymousreply 9607/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!