Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obvious anorexics who constantly talk about all the food they eat

"I eat like a real pig, I just never gain weight" or "I work out, like, ever day for hours" but they have no muscle tone.

Who do they think they are kidding?

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2014

I worked with a young woman like that last year. She talked about food constantly: her favourite restaurants, recipes, what she and her boyfriend would cook and eat on weekends, blah blah blah. But no one ever saw her actually eat. And during her lunches, she'd go and run, no matter what the weather. Sometimes she'd even go run during her 15 breaks.

by Anonymousreply 107/14/2011

I met one of these. She was the caretaker for this guy who had severe cerebral palsy amongst other health problems. He kept getting smaller because they had to keep removing his vertebrae which were disintegrating and lodging bits of bone into his spinal nerves. He was in bad shape and pretty much getting worse every day, but his anorexic caretaker who would spend hours and hours cooking for him every day was the one who looked like she was about to drop dead at any instant. He "pulled" me aside at one point to discuss how worried he was about her. I'm not sure his hands were working well enough that he would have been able to call 911 if she did have a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 207/14/2011

It's like on Dexter, Dexter's sister...the director constantly tries to show her eating but the obvious fact is, the actress does not eat.

by Anonymousreply 307/14/2011

Yeah, I tuned in to Dexter for the first time last season and I was really amazed by how thin the actress who played his sister was. I don't recall thinking she was anorexic, but I think that's because if an actress can manage it, it's the desirable look now. Too bad.

I HATE that EDs are now on a huge rise among men. That's really a shame.

by Anonymousreply 407/14/2011

Jennifer Carpenter (Deb, on Dexter) looks even more emaciated in real life.

by Anonymousreply 507/14/2011

I have no idea what you are talking about OP.

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2011

isn't that Hall's ex-wife?

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2011

Part of the illness is to obcess about food as a means to control what they feel they cannot in life. It seems amusing on the surface to know the oddities these people, usually women, will discuss or act out. In reality it is often a death sentence as damage is done to internal organs from unhealthy eating habits or lack thereof. Often after the person has "leveled out" and looks to be a "normal" weight or size, internal damage could have been done.

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2011

tell me about it r8

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2011

"I gain weight if I just LOOK at dessert!"

by Anonymousreply 1007/14/2011

pretty much every woman in LA is like this

by Anonymousreply 1207/14/2011

A neighbor's relative is visiting from overseas & was just complaining to me about how "FAT!" she's getting lately. She's Asian & very tiny -- I think she looks exactly the same as she did when she visited a year ago. But she insists she's "FAT!" & says her husband agrees with her.

She doesn't look unhealthy yet, but I'll bet she does next time I see her a year from now. She's around 40 & her husband (who's American) is almost 20 years older -- I expect that he's critical of her for approaching menopause or she fears that he will be. Either way, I'm afraid she may damage her health trying to stay slim for his sake.

by Anonymousreply 1307/14/2011

r13, isn't this the age dynamic of case in CA where woman cut off husband's organ this week?

by Anonymousreply 1407/14/2011

I don't know those people's ages, R14. But oddly enough, this Asian woman did mention that news story to the little gathering of neighbors this afternoon. All the women laughed, all the men smiled politely.

by Anonymousreply 1507/14/2011

Isn't this the same thing as obese people who always lie about being on a diet?

by Anonymousreply 1607/14/2011

Interesting.%0D I know two morbidly obese women who have been on weight watchers for years.

by Anonymousreply 1707/14/2011

[quote]A neighbor's relative is visiting from overseas & was just complaining to me about how "FAT!" she's getting lately. She's Asian & very tiny %0D %0D %0D that may just be that Asian thing of putting themselves down so you say "Oh no you aren't fat"

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2011

There are three reasons they talk about food all the time.%0D %0D First, they're obsessed with food, with fatness and not eating. It's a way to avoid thinking about things they can't control.%0D %0D Second, they are in denial about having a problem, and can't take criticism anyway.%0D %0D Third, even if they claim they eat all the time, they never say if they ate more than one bite, or if they digested what they ate.

by Anonymousreply 2007/14/2011

I know what you mean, R19, & I have seen that in some Asian women (& some others).

But I've known this woman for years & she's never before said that she thought she was getting fat, or put herself down in any other way. She's a professional woman & very well educated, quite confident, & actually somewhat assertive. I really think that she just isn't accepting the natural body changes associated with menopause, & her husband isn't helping her cope.

Next time I see her a year from now, I hope she's not looking like Kelly Ripa & insisting that her life is just wonderful! In addition to any other considerations, the couple has a young daughter & it's a lousy example for her when her petite mom frets "OMG! I'm so FAT!".

by Anonymousreply 2107/14/2011

Yes, we used to have some anorexic /bulimic asshole in the office, and she would constantly bring in bake goods to get the rest of us fat. She was a damn saboteur. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2207/14/2011

It's generally (but no always) pretty easy to distinguish between anorexics and naturally tiny people or people who are work-out whores, but still eat fairly normal.

by Anonymousreply 2307/14/2011

I used to be able to eat like a pig without gaining weight. This changed when I was about 30.

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2011

Maybe they are eating normally but just bringing it all back up.

by Anonymousreply 2507/15/2011

I work with a 38 year old woman who looks like a walking corpse. Her bones stick out and her face is scary. It doesn%E2%80%99t help that she also smokes and is practically gray.%0D %0D Everyday she comes in, complain she%E2%80%99s starving, get something to eat and then complain that%E2%80%99s she%E2%80%99s just so full while pointing at her bulging stomach to prove it. I suspect that%E2%80%99s the only thing she eats all day, because next morning she will come in and again complain that she%E2%80%99s starving.%0D %0D In two separate conversations I had with her, she told me how she knows everybody envy her for being so thin and that she can tell that people stare at her because she%E2%80%99s so good-looking. I didn%E2%80%99t have the heart to tell her why they were really staring.

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2011

its so funny to hear so many fat people that are unhappy with themselves, mocking others who are not happy with themselves. At lease anorexic people have psychological disorders that force compulsive behavior(which you should feel bad about not mock). For the rest of you, fatness is not a mystery. Your body can not create fat if it does not receive calories. Get off this thread and maybe go for a run!

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

I know an anorexic (maybe bulimic too?) who BAKES all the time, and gives away cookies and brownies. It's wierd. Her hair is obviously thinning on top and her breath is not good. But she is always baking.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

At the height of her fame on SATC, Sarah Jessica Parker appeared on her buddy Isaac Mizrahi's show, where they went out to lunch together.

SJP made an ostentatious show of ordering several courses, including pasta, and said how important it was for women to accept and love their own bodies. She also said her own speedy metabolism simply wouldn't allow her to gain an ounce, try as she might!

Of course, we never actually saw SJP consume any of the food on the table. Like Madonna, her anorectic, old-lady claw-ands tell the truth about her eating disorders.

by Anonymousreply 2911/13/2012

I like the overweight people who claim they don't eat much. Who do they think they're fooling? I sit all day long, barely exercise, and I'm still thin.

by Anonymousreply 3011/13/2012

claw-HANDS

by Anonymousreply 3111/13/2012

[quote]pretty much every woman in LA is like this

Yep, probably the majority of actors/entertainers, including males occasionally.

[quote]I like the overweight people who claim they don't eat much. Who do they think they're fooling?

This can actually happen. Of course, it's not the norm for being overweight, but it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

Anorexia is a form of food addiction.

by Anonymousreply 3311/13/2012

stumbled upon this a bit late, but y'all sound like a bunch of fat fucks

jelly much?

by Anonymousreply 3411/29/2012

I don't encounter that too often. What I DO hear all the time is fat people talking about all the "healthy" food they eat.

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2012

R30 - It's rare, but it happens every now and then. If they don't eat at all and their already-slow metabolism slows down even more in response.

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2012

There are 3 Jewish women in my office and all of them are painfully thin and obsessed with food or exercise in one way or another. Is this some kind of cultural thing? None of the other 30 or so ladies I work with are this way.

by Anonymousreply 3711/29/2012

Do u think anyone even says anything to Ripa about her weight. I think when u make that much money people are afraid of u

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2012

Pretty much all anorexics start major binge cycles at some point, and they get increasingly severe. Sometimes in tens of thousands of calories, even if you would rightfully expect their stomachs to be small. If you're thinking to yourself, "TENS of thousands of calories?!", yes--and sometimes it can take all day. At that point, it crosses over into clinical bulimia, though methods of purgation vary. A lot of them also turn to drugs at this point, if they find a way.

Anorectics who can maintain virtually no body fat over a long period of time tend to have shorter lifespans or develop distinct mental symptoms. There are exceptions, of course. A lot of "reformed" anorectics overshoot what us vain people might call an average weight.

Bulimics usually gain significant weight right before they're basically ready to die from its long-term effects. But not all of them are thin to begin with, because of food binges and also alcoholism, which is extremely common among bulimics who hadn't started out as anorectics. That said, most death-by-bulimia cases are sudden.

And compulsive overeating makes a little more sense to people physically, but it shares many things in common with the above disorders.

R30, Any combo of eating disorders, combined with aging, can potentially fuck up the endocrine system such that one's fat cells will want to expansively max out. If the brain says to do it, the body doesn't need too many calories at all.

Anyway, people who "hate" food are equally obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2012

[quote]jelly much?

Dear 12 year old tween does your mommy know you're still awake and trolling a gay website?

Jelly? Really?

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

Family members of mine visiting from Europe were absolutely shocked by the size of the average American. Even someone that I would think of as being a healthy weight, they would classify as overweight. They also were shocked when we took them to their first all you can eat buffet.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2014

R22, it's unlikely that your Asian friend is approaching menopause at only 40.

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2014

[R42] Finally some common sense on this thread! Everyone here just seems so ignorant. Just because a person is thin doesn't mean they have a disorder. I've been thin my whole life, it's just in my genes.

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2014

Visiting an American restaurant is quite an eye-opener for foreign visitors. I have a healthy appetite and enjoy my three meals a day, but the portion sizes I was served in NYC were ridiculously huge. My friend and I could not believe it. In a Manhatten café I was served a brunch bagel filled with around four inches of piled cheese. The thing had to be secured with a little stick.

The majority of people on the planet just do not eat the huge portions which appear standard in the States.

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2014

I had a college friend who was like that. She was also a great cook. I hear anorexic are really obsessed with food, they just don't eat it. It's a power thing.

Incidentally, this girl was very driven and would set very high challenged for herself.

I remember a time when she told me she got high on lack of sleep (she could easily sleep between 2 and 4 hours a night and keep working all day the next day, and do this every night of the week).

by Anonymousreply 4605/20/2014

I can't believe I'm going to be the first one to point this out, but...the rise of obesity and eating disorders in this country are very much connected. Americans have a very puritanical, obsessive, all-or nothing relationship with food. And it has only gotten worse in the last 30 years.

People in Europe - continental Europe at least - they have three meals - they actually sit down to eat them, enjoy them, savor them, maybe with a glass or two of wine, and if by chance they have some dessert or some rich sauce they don't go batshit and say to themselves "oh crap now I have to work out double tomorrow." Or for the next week restrict themselves to 1,000 calories a day, or whatever.

When you don't deprive yourself - you have the Brie, or the flour less chocolate cake, or the lobster, or whatever - you don't overdo it. Food is one of life's great pleasures and should be enjoyed as such. You should also exercise moderately to stay healthy and toned but not feel you have to push yourself twice as hard because you were "bad the night before." aka exercise bulimia.

Depriving leads to bingeing. How can this not be painfully obvious to people. if we all just adopted the maxim of eating whatever you want but in moderation - the first step in having a normal relationship with food - we would have far less obesity AND anorexia/bulimia. They are inextricably related.

by Anonymousreply 4705/20/2014

Americans are very puritanical and self-punishing. They seem to enjoy setting absurdly high goals for themselves so that they can punish themselves when they invariably fail to reach or maintain those goals. Food and body shape are the perfect theatres for the staging of this endless drama.

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.