Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Dance Moms" on Lifetime

This is like "Toddlers & Tiaras" ... except meaner.

Abby, the fat strip mall dance coach, is a nasty piece of work in a Liza Minnelli QVC sequined blouse.

"Maddie, are you ready to be FRONT AND CENTER? Can you HANDLE IT?"

Mom: "... oooh, we're back to Dance Jail back here..."

Do YOU know how to do the "Party Party Party" routine?

by Anonymousreply 8402/11/2015

This is a festival of great lines.

"Girls, what are you doing? Your legs are about as straight as Elton John!"

"If she pukes on the floor, I'm not cleaning it up."

by Anonymousreply 107/13/2011

This show has the makings of a Datalounge favorite -

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2011

Its completely staged and I don't believe for a second Abby Lee actually teaches anyone to dance but I'm still watching. The first two-thirds of each episode are pretty dull, but the last act is always amazing. in the first episode it was the tipsy moms and in the second it was that horrifying slut dance and its aftermath. %0D %0D My favorite line so far was: 'I think your daughter liked it!' (possible misquote)

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2011

I couldn't watch the whole first episode. It reminded me of that video of the Chinese school for gymnastics for girls where the girls are pushed until they cry from the pain and they are still not permitted to stop. There are many ways to torture a kid but subjecting them to a life with their mothers is the worst torture of all.

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2011

"Let's play the Bible game!!!!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2011

Who in their right mind would send their children to a dance teacher who weighs as much as Chris Christie and doesn't and cannot demonstrate any choreography?????????

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2011

The best swim coach I ever had was very overweight. His swimmers always did very well in Nationals.

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2011

The best English teachers I had were fat ladies.

by Anonymousreply 907/29/2011

[quote]..and you were more than happy, giddy even, to saddle-up to your sofa, grab an arm load of sweet and salty snacks and watch it with blind stupidity, weren't you OP?

Indeed I was.

And you were more than happy, giddy even, to saddle-up to your computer, grab an arm load of sweet and salty snacks and open this thread so you could click your tongue, weren't you r5?

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2011

OMG, I just caught the first episode on On Demand. Wish I could believe this trainwreck was totally unscripted, but it's just too over-the-top to be real. I'm reserving judgement until I see The Slut Dance though.

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2011

"Kids on Broadway work TWELVE HOURS A DAY!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2011

Oh. My. God. I just realized that I knew that cunty dance instructor! She was a year behind me in high school and we actually worked together onstage. She was a piece of work 30 years ago, and apparently still is! And yes, she was fat back then too.

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2011

R14, we're you in a play together? Did she ever dance or just boss around other dancers?%0D %0D I think that there are other teachers who aren't shown and they teach the routines. Abby Lee just comes in and barks orders about pointing toes, performance levels, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2011

Here's Abby in her ingenue days.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2011

Couldn't believe it when that 1 mom said she spends $16,000 a year on dance classes. College costs less.

by Anonymousreply 1708/05/2011

Look at this post from the control freak moderator from TWOP -%0D %0D Yesterday @ 8:05 pm Post#466 %0D Enough about Abby%E2%80%99s weight, please, unless it is specifically brought up on the show. Some of you seem to think that the sight of a fat woman gives you license to lecture the thread on weight issues, and that isn%E2%80%99t the case. The thread is here so that everyone can talk about the show, not so that some of you can get up on soapboxes. Thanks. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1808/06/2011

Go about 40 minutes into this video to see classic reality tv bitch fighting -

by Anonymousreply 1908/11/2011

but oh how I relish the half-second dance move fatso Abby does in the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 2008/12/2011

This show is everything that is wrong with reality TV. Those poor kids. %0D %0D I hope the woman chokes on a rib. Preferably one of her own.

by Anonymousreply 2108/12/2011

The play we were in was a Christmas pageant type thingy. It was community theatre, so it was a mix of high school students and adults. Now that I think of it, I don't think she performed with us, but she was the choreographer, and she would have been about 16 at the time (!). Her mother was a local dance teacher for years, so she was born into it, I guess...

What else can I tell you? Well, she choreographed each of our parts separately, and I remember thinking, this is going to be a hot mess, based on what I was seeing. But when all the parts were put together, I'll be damned, it was actually very good, and the audiences loved it!

The only other thing I remember vividly about her is that she had a pair of those shoes with wheels built into them, so you could wear them as normal (clunky) shoes, or you could press a button on the underside of the shoe and wheels would pop out and you could roller skate. Sorry, I don't know if those things had a specific name, if they did, someone on DL will know!

by Anonymousreply 2208/12/2011

In my DVR's "TRASH" section right next to Housewives of New Jersey, Mob Wives, Jersey Shore, and Teen Mom.

by Anonymousreply 2308/12/2011

^^smell her!^^

by Anonymousreply 2408/12/2011

Tonight Abby is choreographing a number called "Where Have All the Children Gone?" -- a dance about CHILD ABDUCTION.

The Moms: "ummmm...."

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2011

The shoes are called Heely's, R22. Might be spelled Heeley's? Either way. Thanks for your post. Interesting little tidbit you shared.

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2011

Nothing like 10 year old's working out the issue of child aduction through dance interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2011

Is there a crazier reality character than Cathy?

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2011

r26: Heelies weren't invented back then. That poster is talking about the 80's version

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2011

More Cathy insanity -

by Anonymousreply 3009/17/2011

Finale tonight!!!

Who will be chosen to be the lead in the dance video???

It HAS to be Livvy.

by Anonymousreply 3110/05/2011

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 3210/05/2011

I'm Abby Lee Miller!

by Anonymousreply 3310/05/2011

How can a fat cunt like that run a dance school? I'd never send my kid to a teacher who didn't look like she danced.

by Anonymousreply 3410/05/2011

Cathy should have her own show.

by Anonymousreply 3510/05/2011

She obviously danced earlier in life, R34.

Her studio is apparently very successful.

by Anonymousreply 3610/05/2011

Cathy is a Sandy Duncan who never made it out of Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 3710/05/2011

Abby Lee Miller - a bitch to the end....

"Aren't you glad now that Maddie didn't get the lead?"

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2011

The woman is delusional about how the "business" works. I've never heard so many inaccuracies from an apparent know-it-all.

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2011

What about Mia Michaels, r35?

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2011

I just wish Abby Lee Miller would blow her fucking nose already. Her voice irritates me. She probably has a cheese doodle stuck up there.

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2011

R18 = Apparently perpetually kicked-off TWoP.

This is why DL is so infested with bitter fraus.

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2011

The "up and coming" artist "Lux" that the girls did the video with in the season finale is Ted Danson's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4310/08/2011

Love this show, Love Abby Lee, I watched every episode. I know it's all fake but I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 4410/08/2011

Maddie didn't get the lead because of those huge buck teeth.

by Anonymousreply 4510/08/2011

It's fake but accurate.

Producers chose Abby Lee Miller because she wins... a LOT. And has the personality you see on the screen.

The girls are a subset from Abby's various dance classes, chosen by Abby. But ONLY if their mom agreed to participate.

The moms had to agree to attend all rehearsals and competitions.

The girls got free dance instruction for the entire filming run.

The girls, moms, and Abby got free travel, food, and lodging for all the competitions.

Learning new dance routines each week was part of the show and not normal for Abby's students.

All off-site dance studio rentals were arranged by the show.

All talent agent auditions were arranged by the show. The most blatant being the final show with the music video. While it's obvious the producers arranged for the entire group to "win" their audition, neither Abby, the moms, or the girls were told this in advance.

The competitions were all real, though they are usually very local except for "Nationals".

by Anonymousreply 4610/08/2011

The Moms were basically on a west coast tour the last few episodes, so you knew the show must be helping somehow. The pathetic thing is how openly the other Moms hate on Maddie. The girl is 8 years old. It's not a conspiracy that she wins a lot, she just happens to be talented.

by Anonymousreply 4710/08/2011

Rusty Shackelford

September 10th, 2011

10:17 am

I was a Producer for 25 years, first in radio then TV, in the Atlanta/Chicago area. This show is your very basic confrontation orientated program. 1) Interviews before the show tapes to tap into the mothers concerns. These concerns are generally low to moderate problems. 2) The producer exacerbates small to medium issues. What plays out as the biggest issue wins air time. That’s where the Moms get to “act”. The bigger they make there problem the greater there chances of air time 3) Set up meeting of confrontation or discussion. Film different angles and several takes. 4) Take film to editing and splice together a show. Yes, every blue moon you will have a legitimate fight or argument. But its rare that you get it on film. Sometimes you have to be creative and “recreate” the moment. Most participants are glad to help with the recreation. Remember, more air time=more popularity=other opportunities in TV. (Dancing w the stars, etc) Bill was correct(must be in the biz). Check the camera angles and placement. Those producers, although not very creative, have done there job pulling in the viewers that can relate to the dance world. But don’t think for a moment that what you are seeing is real. Its all Hollywood editing magic and recreation. If you want real tune into “COPS”. Have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 4810/08/2011

"I'm not here to make her HAPPY! I'm here to make HER DANCE!!"

GREAT line.

by Anonymousreply 4910/08/2011

How is that fat cow. Abby Lee Miller, a dancer or a dance teacher? All she does is scream and excuse me, throw her weight around.

by Anonymousreply 5010/09/2011

Abby Lee doesn't waste time with PC "feelings" bullshit.

If the kids suck, she'll tell them so.

If they do great, she'll tell them so.

Notice how all the kids ignore their moms and look to Abby for approval.

by Anonymousreply 5110/09/2011

Reality TV World: How did the reality show come about and what made you want to be on a reality show with some of your dancers? What were your goals and intentions?

Abby Lee Miller: Well, the show came about from my friend John Corella. We're personal friends and we've been friends for 20 years, and every summer I end up in LA and we talk about all these crazy mothers and how it should be a reality show.

And then I come back to my life in September and he gets back to his life, and then every night I call him saying, "I want to throw out this one and I want to throw out that one and this one's dumber than dirt and it doesn't matter how talented the kid is -- I can't stand the mother," and whatever.

So he was kind of taking notes and writing it all down and pitched it to a producer, and then the producer took it to a production company and then Lifetime came onboard and the rest is kind of history. As far as me being on the show, I wasn't really supposed to be on the show at all.

I didn't want to be on-camera at all until after the first episode when Minister Dawn wreaked havoc on my studio and interrupted my rehearsal when I have to take care of business, and then that's when they were like, "Oh my God, we need her on the show."

And as far as my goals for my students, having my dancers perform on national television every week -- I mean, come on, that's like back in the day of the Fly Girls or Solid Gold -- What dancers are on weekly? On So You Think You Can Dance, they're doing other people's work. They always stick to what they do best.

Reality TV World: The show has shown a lot of drama between you and your dancers' mothers and generated some controversy about your stern teaching approach. Has the publicity been good or bad for business at your studio -- do you have a lot of new students coming in or has the show scared off potential students?

Abby Lee Miller: No, we have students -- I've been doing this for 31 years, so my studio very much a place of education. It has very high standards and I have the reputation in town of, "This is where you bring your child when they are talented and they really want to do this."

Right now, I have four kids -- they hired four people in Pittsburgh to do a movie with Michael Rooney and three were mine and one they booked directly from LA. I have 15 kids in Tokyo Disney in Japan.

I have a girl in The Book of Mormon on Broadway. The seriousness and the dedication and the intensity, let's say if you will, at my studio has always been here. For 30 years, it's been going on. For the TV show, it's kind of just like icing on the cake.

Reality TV World: You put a lot of stress on your pyramid of dancers for your competition team. It seems like you see it as constructive criticism and want to motivate the kids on the bottom to work harder, but do you see a negative to it at all in that it might promote jealousy or competitiveness amongst the girls, or is competitiveness actually the goal you're striving for?

Abby Lee Miller: Well I do everything in my power not to put the kids against each other. I don't know if you know too much about competitions, but there's many different age divisions and many different categories. Here at my own studio and in the history of the Abby Lee Dance Company, I want to win as much as we can possibly win.

So, to put three girls in against each other is dumb. I'd rather put three girls in three different categories like one in lyrical and one in jazz and one in musical theater. Why put all three of them in jazz when you could win every category?

So as far as the pyramid goes, that's why sometimes all the girls don't do solos, is because they would be against each other and sometimes we don't want that. We want them to compete against themselves really, rather than others.

by Anonymousreply 5210/31/2011

Reality TV World: Just to clarify, are the girls shown on the competition team [on Dance Moms] the only Abby Lee dancers competing at the events they attend, do you also allow other Abby Lee dancers that aren't on the competition team to compete if they want?

Abby Lee Miller: Okay, good question. Last year when they started shooting the show, it was the middle of April. My competition season for the Abby Lee Dance Company was pretty much over. We compete in January, February and March here in Pittsburgh.

It just so happens that most of the competitions locally that we attend -- that come into Pittsburgh -- I attend really high-end things and they come into Pittsburgh in the winter. Why? I don't know, but that's when they come in.

So after Easter, we're pretty much done. We're just working on our showcase -- our dance concert. So, that's when the show started shooting. The show had to find competitions for me to go to and nothing was [here] in Pittsburgh, so that's why we would go to the extent and everything of going out of town to find different competitions for them, because my stuff is over.

Had we been going in Pittsburgh, sure, my other kids could have attended. They would have had to pay their own way and signed up separately, but sure. I try to get them to show more kids on the show. I really have some amazing teenagers.

The Mr. Dance of America and the Miss Dance of Pennsylvania are here in my studio right now. They're my students. They have been since they were three-years-old, and they're quite incredible dancers. I wish you could see all of them on the show, but there's just no time.

Reality TV World: Your intense teaching methods have sparked controversy, so would you consider or describe yourself as a role model and mentor to these young girls or would you say you're all business and are simply dedicated to being their dance coach and seeing improvement and results?

Abby Lee Miller: No, I'm definitely their mentor. Some of them are child prodigies and the ones to achieve greatness that only I have dreamed for them, I sometimes -- I've said it before. I think my dreams are bigger than their own dreams. I raise every child in this studio as if they were my own children and that's what parents forget.

A lot of the moms on the show, like Kelly, this is her first teenager with Brooke. I've been through a thousand teenagers. Yeah, definitely, definitely. Kids have gotten sick all over me. I've held a kid's head, I've stood there while they're throwing up from something they ate that was bad -- every bruise or every bump or every broken bone, I'm the one that's there with them.

I did the "mom duty" quite often. It's just these people on the show that are there all the time -- most parents can't afford the luxury of traveling with the kids. They can't go everywhere that we go.

So, the kids often travel with me by themselves. I have a temporary guardianship of them, so yeah. It's more than that and you know, when they're at that audition or they're on their way to that big audition, usually I'm the one driving them.

Reality TV World: I don't know if the shooting schedule is why, but the show showed you on the road with your competition team for several weeks but you obviously have a lot of other students that take classes at your studio -- a few that you have mentioned -- beyond the girls on the competition team. So how much involvement do you have with the studio's non-competition team kids and are you able to teach them on a regular basis?

Abby Lee Miller: Yes. I don't work with too many of the -- we call them rookies -- the recreation students. They come once a week for class, and I'm usually here. I write the lesson plans for their classes, but I'm not always here because I do travel. But that's not only for the show. I do a lot of master teaching all over the country prior to the show.

So, I was gone a lot anyway and you kind of need a day off to re-charge and that's what our recreation classes are, and I have great faculty here. Most of my faculty that I have were trained by me.

They started here at three-years-old, and they either left and worked professionally and then had time to come back to the area or are married and are working for me, or they've been here since they started dancing and never left. I'm here at 4:30, so I'm here. I actually teach all the time. (Laughs) My classes normally begin at 4:30. So, I'm here and ready to teach.

Reality TV World: Christi was shown [on the show] saying that you always say "dance needs to come before school" and that the girls miss school all the time for dance competitions and such. Do you really believe dance is more important than a school education and how does that work -- are the girls home-schooled while on the road?

Abby Lee Miller: Absolutely not. I never say that. She's probably lying. I don't agree with everything in the public school system. I believe that, certainly, they need an education. I would love it.

I freak out on my girls, especially my senior company, and I always tell them if they could speak seven languages fluently, they would be able to write their own ticket and get a job anywhere because they're gorgeous girls. They know how to interview, they wear a stunning suit and they could work in any huge company internationally.

They could fly out all over the world if they could speak Mandarin or Chinese and they laugh at me. So, I definitely think -- like Maddie for example -- she's extremely intelligent, and I yell at Melissa all the time, "Let's hire a private tutor to teach her Chinese. She's not getting that in school."

But on the flip side, I do not think that my dancers need to take [physical education], and in Pennsylvania, that's a huge thing here -- the physical education requirement, like getting into the gym uniform and getting hit in the face with the dodgeball and hit in the bust over and over and over and calling it phys ed, that's really important here in Pittsburgh.

I think that my girls who are dancing 16 hours a week should be exempt from physical education and during that 45-minute period, they should be in an accounting class or another math class or another language class. So, I think Christi has that a little bit confused.

If I could eat lunch while I'm driving my car, they can eat lunch at their desks. There's a lot of time wasted of going to the cafeteria and getting in line and getting your food, and then you have to shove it down your throat and then run back to class.

They could all sit on a yoga ball during class and eat at their desk and then be out of school at 2:00. So when it comes to their education, I'm just anti-wasting time. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: How was it decided to focus on the specific young girls on the show and their mothers? Was it as simple as these were the seven girls on your competition team when the show began filming?

Abby Lee Miller: Actually, [the production company] Collins Avenue Entertainment, they interviewed -- I believe it was 23 families, to choose those mothers. The children were never auditioned.

Reality TV World: Would you be able to elaborate on that a little more and discuss what criteria was used, if you know?

Abby Lee Miller: I have no idea. You'd have to check with the producers on the show. I really don't know. I laugh about this all the time, but it's sad, because I have some amazing students who pay their bills on time, who follow all the rules, who say, "Yes, Ms. Abby. Thank you, Ms. Abby," give me birthday gifts and Christmas gifts and are excellent students. Excellent. And they are not on the show, sadly, because they don't make good TV. (Laughs)

by Anonymousreply 5310/31/2011

The show is more fake than ever, but I still love it, it's my favorite guilty pleasure. I was getting a little tired of it during season 2, and then "Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition" debuted and I liked that much better. But so far season 3 has been pretty fun, I'm even eagerly awaiting the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 5401/20/2013

I love this...

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2013

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151777404139027&set=a.10151179470839027.551420.637999026&type=1&relevant_count=1

by Anonymousreply 5603/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 5712/19/2013

I've found the show is best enjoyed in a binge, like 4 episodes in a row once a month.

Yes it's mindless and totally fake, but really that's what I love about it. It reminds me of playing with my friends as a kid, most of whom were fat girls like Abby.

by Anonymousreply 5812/19/2013

I like how the show`s name is sincere : it openly admits that it`s not about children and their possible talents at all,it`s about the mothers and their dramas.

by Anonymousreply 5912/19/2013

Kelly & blonde Christy are fucking insane cunts.

by Anonymousreply 6012/20/2013

Abby got a restraining order against one of the bitch mom's.

by Anonymousreply 6101/21/2014

How does that fat cow teach dance? My dance instructors were always slim former ballet dancers.

by Anonymousreply 6201/21/2014

Here it is gurls-the fight! Kind of anticlimactic as the lead up was better than the actual physical assault:

by Anonymousreply 6302/18/2014

the immediate aftermath:

by Anonymousreply 6402/18/2014

lmao

by Anonymousreply 6502/18/2014

Just discovered Dance Moms and I can't believe the Moms would do this to their daughters. Awful

by Anonymousreply 6604/03/2014

[quote] Here it is gurls-the fight! Kind of anticlimactic as the lead up was better than the actual physical assault

Actually, that was pretty bad.

I've watched the show since the first season, and Abby has always been pushy and she has always had a big mouth, but no one has ever physically assaulted her.

Kelly was WAY over the line on that one. Notice Abby didn't fight back.

Kelly slapped her face and pulled her hair. Even the other moms were visibly shaken by the physical assault.

It's ok to yell and scream and shout and make a fuss, but you NEVER put your hand on someone. That's the rule.

Kelly did assault Abby, and it was caught on camera.

by Anonymousreply 6704/03/2014

"Dance Moms" is a psychological study. I watch it mostly for Abby. I can't believe the stuff she does and says. She looked at one of the girls this season and said her mom is a bitch. LOL Abby's ego is enormous. She thinks she is invincible. The mind games she plays on these kids are sick and fun to watch. It's something that shouldn't happen in the real world. I think the producers tell Abby there needs to be a constant rotation of dancers to keep the show fresh and Abby goes out and targets one mom and her daughter to get them to leave.

by Anonymousreply 6804/03/2014

Just for fun, imagine how quickly the teacher would get arrested if it was a man who behaved like Abby toward those kids. Five minutes? Three minutes?

by Anonymousreply 6904/03/2014

Someone else who watches the show says that some of the girls stopped going to her dance school a few years ago and just do the show so it's just a set up. I tried to Google but couldn't find any info. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 7004/03/2014

I am a DANSEUSE!

by Anonymousreply 7104/03/2014

Exhibit A of Kelly's suit gives the details of the compensation the mothers and kids receive. Scroll down to the Exhibit if you're not interested in the "assault."

Lots of money involved.

by Anonymousreply 7204/03/2014

Abby Lee pulled the plug on her mom when she couldn't point her toes!

by Anonymousreply 7304/11/2014

The reunion was boring even though their were a few fights. Did anyone watch? The host was terrible. He was wooden and didn't seem to care. You need hosts that have some interest in what these people do. I loved that Nia's mom broke the façade she's put up and let loose. She was off the mark though. Her daughter is the worst on the team. Even though Abby loves playing mind games with everyone she does have the right sense of each kids' talent. Maddie is the best. The rest of the girls rotate in the middle. Are you looking forward to Abby's Studio Rescue?

by Anonymousreply 7604/24/2014

Can't wait until Abby is the guest judge on DWTS.

by Anonymousreply 7704/24/2014

I think Abby should be a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race. She's very gay/drag friendly, I'm sure she'd love to do it.

Yes the reunion was a snooze, and some of those reunions have been fun. One thing I love about this season is for the first time, you can download the episodes in HD. I've saved all the episodes in case I ever want to watch the reruns. Season 3 had nearly 40 episodes! Lifetime keep new episodes coming constantly, and then shows DM specials and spin-offs like Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition to fill between seasons. The new one is Abby's Studio Rescue and yes I'm dying to see it, an obvious rip-off of Tabatha's Salon Rescue, but I love that too. Abby's constantly filming and never gets a break, but she's getting rich so what does she care.

by Anonymousreply 7804/24/2014

Christi is such a total bitch - imagine being married to that. Your ears would explode from all the entitled schrieking!

by Anonymousreply 7904/26/2014

At least Christi didn't blow a rich married dude to get her clunky daughter Maddie special treatment.

by Anonymousreply 8010/07/2014

What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 8101/07/2015

Don't sit on me, Abby. What does mummy's sugar daddy pay you to tell me I can actually dance?

by Anonymousreply 8201/13/2015

Can't wait for the new episode, I have to download them. The show is really heating up with Abba constantly being hit with lawsuits, from the children themselves now. Paige sued her. I consider the show a guilty pleasure, but it really is a pleasure, great popcorn-munching fun.

by Anonymousreply 8301/13/2015

Did Chloe quit?

by Anonymousreply 8402/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.