Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Susan Luckey, from the films of "The Music Man" and "Carousel"

She danced the part of Billy Bigelow's daughter Louise in "Carousel" and played Zaneeta Shinn in "The Music Man" (with that superhot young guy who plays Tommy Djilas). In the book CAN'T HELP SINGIN', the film scholar and University of Chicago professor Gerald Mast says she died of a heroine overdose in the late 1960s, but another site on the Internet says she's still alive. I could find nothing definitive on imdb or on wikipedia as to whether she's alive or dead--do any of you know?

by Anonymousreply 4306/17/2014

She's alive, and can be seen on the "Music Man" DVD special features documentary. She has put on quite a bit of weight. She tells the story that Shirley Jones became pregnant, married to Jack Cassidy, while filming MM, and they had to hide it with a lot of frilly dresses.

by Anonymousreply 107/13/2011

Heroine overdose? Is that what happens when you watch too many Julia Roberts movies?

by Anonymousreply 307/13/2011

OP, whatever made you wonder about her?

by Anonymousreply 407/13/2011

I meant to say triangle (not scandal...I don't know why I typed scandal, since it wasn't)

by Anonymousreply 807/13/2011

Timmy Everett has a great ass, which his brown pants in The Music Man seem to frame in the hottest ways.

by Anonymousreply 1007/13/2011

It's on TCM right now. Few American movie musicals based on Broadway shows are half so fun--the "Shipoopi" sequence is such a showstopper. And this is the only musical where Shirley Jones really shines (normally she's held back by the awkward Oscar Hammerstein faux-native dialects).

by Anonymousreply 1107/13/2011

I remember reading an interview w Susan Luckey in the early 90s where she talked about the fact that some people had thought she died a druggie. She said "Maybe they got me confused with Timmy Everett."

by Anonymousreply 1307/14/2011

Marian the Librarian is my favorite Shirley Jones role R11 but I have a soft spot for her Laurie as well (she's perfect in the part.)

Check her out in Elmer Gantry if you want something far removed from R&H. She's great!

by Anonymousreply 1407/14/2011

Just saw the production of "The Music Man" in Ogunquit ME with "TV's Peter Scolari". Great production, but he was lousy. A good 6 inches shorter than Marian, and was a trouble threat (couldn't sing, act or dance!). Eulalie Macecknie Shinn was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 1507/27/2011

[quote]By the way, Timmy Everett (Tommy) was quite the gay party boy (and, apparently, a little bit unbalanced) and had been involved in a romantic triangle with Tab Hunter and Tony Perkins in the late 1950's.

I didn't know Timmy was gay, but he was quite a dancer in MM.

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2011

When I saw the movie I thought that timmy everett was pretty flamboyant ..... he was a great dancer and actor and very handsome .. which is why I had a feeling that he wasn't straight .. you can't find a straight guy like that these days .... but anyways Susan is still alive unlike most of the rest of the cast for music man .... she's 73 years old and and timmy everett was 39 when he died .which is sad because he was still pretty young ... but he wasn't living a healthy, stable life

by Anonymousreply 1712/22/2011

Timmy Everett has quite the ass in "The Music Man." It's like it's own separate character from Tommy Djilas. It seems to be alert and to have a life of its own!

by Anonymousreply 1812/22/2011

Everett also had an affair with Jane Fonda around the time TMM was being filmed. The rumor was that he and Luckey had their moments also, but that Timmy was far more interested in Perkins. Apparently, a year or so later, Luckey was still pissed off enough at him that some of her fellow [italic]Take Me Along[/italic] cast members got to hear many too many details. Also, a lot of people at the time, despite it's being yet a year or more later, thought that Luckey married Larry Douglas on the rebound. Whatever the case, I've been told that she never quite forgave Everett for jilting her, or, because of her conservative nature, for his being gay. Her not even mentioning him in the TMM DVD interview was, supposedly, Luckey's clearly pointed snub of the long dead Everett.

It was the play [italic]The Cold Wind And The Warm[/italic], R7.

by Anonymousreply 1912/22/2011

To be frank, R18, if Tony Perkins was involved with him, Everett's ass couldn't possibly have been the only alert body part he had to offer.

by Anonymousreply 2012/22/2011

[quote]Apparently, a year or so later, Luckey was still pissed off enough at him that some of her fellow Take Me Along cast members got to hear many too many details.

That timing's off to be accurate, r19. Luckey's "Take Me Along" gig came well before "The Music Man" - TMA closed almost six months before filming on "The Music Man" began.

by Anonymousreply 2112/22/2011

"The Music Man" was on TCM again last night. It's easy to get caught up in it while flipping channels. Shirley Jones was pregnant with Patrick Cassidy during filming. Timmy Everett is an amazing dancer, but he kind of overdoes it here, and his romance with Zaneeta (Luckey) rings false... Unless she's been hired as his beard!

Buddy Hackett is distractingly nasty; Ron Howard is annoying. Love Preston, Jones, Gingold, Ford, Kelton, and Mary Wickes.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2012

The dancing is amazing! Watch the library number and see how it all fits together with several groups of dancers doing different things. I can't believe that Onna White had to wait until 1968 and "Oliver!" to get a special Oscar. Also, the boys in the dance (who must all be gay) are wearing very tight pants are in amazing shape. The "Shipoopi" number is also amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2012

I agree, r23, the dancing is really great, especially in "Shipoopi." I've loved this movie since my childhood in the '70s, and I finally got to do the show in the '80s. I actually saw a production with the strangest cast a decade ago: Barry Williams (Harold Hill), Alan Young and Mary Jo Catlett (as the Shins).

The TV version with Matthew Broderick was cold and anemic.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2012

R11, did you ever see when FAMILY GUY did "Shipoopi"? Funny stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2012

I always had a feeling Robert Preston might have been gay or bi; he really pinged in the Music Man. He was great in that part though. Barbara Cook was the original Marion on Broadway. I love that show.

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2012

[quote]In the book CAN'T HELP SINGIN', the film scholar and University of Chicago professor Gerald Mast says she died of a heroine overdose in the late 1960s,

So has this professor been held accountable for printing such an outrageous falsehood?

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2012

Just watched Music Man again. The wonder of it!

Stumbled on this thread. Seems worth repeating. Oh, Timmy

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2012

[R27]Gerald Mast died of AIDS in the '80s. He was my neighbor, as was his lover, who also died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2012

Thanks for starting this thread OP. I always wondered what happened to Susan Luckey.

Loved her in "Carousel", found her supremely annoying in "TMM".

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2012

"....heroine overdose!"

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2012

Someone mentioned see a stage production of TMM with Barry Williams, that production got him in all kinds of trouble with the unions because it was a non-union show which he was told he was not allowed to do!

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2012

RIP Susan Luckey. Dead today at 74.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

Well it's about time.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

Perhaps we should fly the professor at half mast.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

[quote] TMZ states that the 74-year-old Luckey, born Suzanne Douglas, died on Wednesday, Nov. 29, of "old age." The news was revealed to TMZ by Luckey's daughter, Shayna Reynolds.

You don't die of "old age," and 74 is not that old anymore (in real world terms, not gay terms).

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

I'll bet her daughter is covering up the fact that she murdered her mother for her money.

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

Ye gods!

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

R34, Barry got in trouble with Equity when he headlined the non-Equity national company of the Richard Chamberlain/Hallmark Broadway revival version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

Yeah, the "old age" cause if bullshit!! The daughter pushed her down the stairs!

by Anonymousreply 4212/09/2012

Only 4 yrs younger than Shirley Jones, her mother in "Carousel" and an older role model in "TMM"

by Anonymousreply 4306/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!