Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is South Carolina like?

I want to know.%0D %0D Why is it so fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2014

Republicans, pretty much. Republicans + south + lots of ignorant poor people = South Carolina

by Anonymousreply 107/13/2011

You ask what it's like, and then say it's all fucked up -- seems like you know the answer to your question so why don't you just say what you want to say and stop pretending to have an open mind.

by Anonymousreply 207/13/2011

There are lots of ignorant poor people in every state in the union. Perhaps you haven't noticed that the poor, the have-nots, all over the world - and certainly here in the US - vastly outnumber those who have. Where are you from? New York? California? full of poor people. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 307/13/2011

As evidenced by R2, that would be "ignorant, thin-skinned and fucked-up."

by Anonymousreply 407/13/2011

Bad genes. They killed off all the good people in duels in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.%0D

by Anonymousreply 507/13/2011

I love Charleston, and I've always found the people to be quite welcoming. Sterotypes are not always true.

by Anonymousreply 607/13/2011

That's why bad politics win, because the people don't participate. Duh. Corruption 101. There isn't enough money in government to bribe the majority of people so the key to operating a machine is to turn the people off to politics. Make it dirty, an unfit topic for polite society.%0D

by Anonymousreply 807/13/2011

300 years of low taxes means bad roads, illiterate people, and searing hatred of blacks, the poor, and gays. If it weren't for the military payrolls and things imposed on them from outside like interstates, hospitals, and social security, it'd be just like Haiti.%0D

by Anonymousreply 907/13/2011

founded and settled by British slave owners from Barbados & their slaves - fucked up from the start

by Anonymousreply 1007/13/2011

[quote] In the mornings, people attend turn%0D %0D Ah. Very different from where I live. We attend kick.

by Anonymousreply 1107/13/2011

You guys are such idiots, esp. R9. Jesus, can you possibly be more of a bigot?

by Anonymousreply 1207/13/2011

R9, I lived in Charleston most of my life, but I recently moved to New England. This place is far and away the most ignorant region I've ever known.

by Anonymousreply 1307/13/2011

A crazy grifter cousin from NY moved down there, she bought a $350,000 house, which I'm figuring you can get something close to mansion for that price down South?

I have no idea how she managed getting the down payment, let alone how anyone would sell this chick anything. Unless I see cash, I wouldn't sell her a box of corn flakes!

She was a welfare scammer for many years, she was married but told the social worker that her husband left her. Meanwhile, the husband had moved to another state and was working on the books for a construction company. She and their kids were going to join him eventually, but she lied that he left her with money. I was thinking all the social worker needed was his SS number to track him down?

I heard from another relative that the money for the house might have come from her late mother, the story was, she managed to get her mom to change her will while practically on her death bed. I steer clear of this relative, anything that wasn't nailed down she'd steal. I'd had few bad experiences with her, she flatly denied stealing the items, but I know she did.

Even as a kid, she'd steal from all the relatives homes, her mom would always be returning the stuff she took.

This relative is the definition of white trash. No one in the family can figure out where her sticky finger lazy ass scammer genes came from, both parents always worked and were decent responsible people. I wouldn't be shocked if she eventually ends up in jail.

by Anonymousreply 1407/13/2011

"I love Charleston, and I've always found the people to be quite welcoming. Sterotypes are not always true."%0D %0D It's called good manners, R6. And it's strictly superficial. If you tried to push for any rights, many of these same people (at least the straight ones) would turn on you like a viper. They'll tolerate gay tourists because there's money to be made.

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2011

R15: I wasn't visiting, I actually lived there for 15 years. It is not perfect, but what place really is? I now live in New Hampshire, and I've witnessed more bigorty here.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2011

What is New Hampshire like? I haven't spent any time in New England.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2011

They started the Civil War and the government has been punishing it for years.

by Anonymousreply 1807/13/2011

Born in North Carolina and have lived in South Carolina for many years now. Of course, the politics suck, but I'd say that about one fourth of the men are closeted gays down here! I'm an average looking guy with a great smile and I get stared at by so many guys and I am not some kind of freak of nature! They look as if they are interested, even while walking side by side with their wives and girlfriends! I've had my share of relationships here but you have to do it quietly, as being open and out is VERBOTEN! (German for forbidden..) Weather is hot, but it makes for many shirtless and shoeless guys!

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2011

I live in Charleston and have to say that most of you people are completely ridiculous with some of these statements. I moved here 10 yrs ago from DC and I absolutely love it - gorgeous city on the water, terrific beaches right next door, amazing restaurants, polite people - the most well-mannered drivers. Sure it isn't the gayest city in the country but that isn't a priority for me in choosing a place to live. Every state in this country is full of ignorant assholes is you get out of the urban areas.

by Anonymousreply 2007/14/2011

It's like hell...with barbecue.

by Anonymousreply 2107/14/2011

It seems like such an idyllic place to live and raise kids.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2013

A guy hailing from Alabama said this about the state:

"South Carolina is just a Mississippi wanna-be."

I laughed.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2013

Life doesn't move at a considerably slower pace in the South, contrary to popular opinion and r7. Southern cities are comparable to cities elsewhere in the country; Southern suburbs are comparable to suburbs elsewhere in the country.

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2013

R16 I call bullshit. I live in NH as well; whereabouts are you? I'm near the Mass border - Hollis.

Unless you are living up past the mountains or near the Canada border I doubt you are experiencing any bigotry. And I am 100% certain you are a troll if you say you've seen homophobia. That is NOT how NH is.

I admit there are some real rednecks here but people definitely mind there own damn business.

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2013

R21 with MUSTARD-based barbecue...

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2014

It's racist as hell.

It's misogynist as hell.

It's homophobic as hell.

It's fundamentalist Christian as hell.

It's conservative as hell.

It's extremist right-wing as hell.

It's Republican as hell.

It is truly a noxious place, the arm-pit of America.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2014

Are they transphobic cisgenderists as well r28?

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2014

[quote]What is New Hampshire like? I haven't spent any time in New England.

NH is filled with gun-nut rednecks in parkas and tax dodgers who work in Massachusetts. The influx of politicians and reporters for the presidential primary is always amusing. NH is a prime training ground for political operatives. That's why so many of them are from Boston regardless of party affiliation.

Speaking of politics, it doesn't get much nastier than South Carolina politics. Their viciousness and ruthlessness would do any DLer proud. The best thing to come out of South Carolina in years is Stephen Colbert and he doesn't live there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2014

Charleston proves the ancient mystical connection between beauty and suffering, death, and evil. Myrtle Beach proves that ugly and trashy work with evil too. Spartanburg proves that Americans have just as much a talent for servility as the people of Uganda.

by Anonymousreply 3103/09/2014

Myrtle Beach isn't all bad

by Anonymousreply 3203/09/2014

[quote]Charleston proves the ancient mystical connection between beauty and suffering, death, and evil.

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!