Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Three''s A Crowd" w/John Ritter, Robert Mandan, Mary Cadorette & Jessica Walter

Hoopy. And so 1985 with the sets and outfits. Love it on Antenna TV after work. John was so hot and so was the surfer dude, Alan Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 7910/01/2013

Alan Campbell said best co-star ever (even after Sunset Boulevard) was John Ritter

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2011

Was Ritter a bit bi-bi baby? He sure had a smokin' body which they displayed, he was so athletic and healthy looking. Mary Cadorette's outfits are AWFUL!!!

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2011

OP, I barely remember this show. Wasn't it just on for one season (if even that long)? Was it even funny? Why did it fail?

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2011

John once had a heated argument with Don Knotts about something and Knotts shouted: "You're not fit to shine Andy Griffith's shoes!"

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2011

Actually the question Alan Campbell was asked was "Coolest commercial, film or TV gig"

And he replied "Co-starring with John Ritter on "Three's a Crowd."

He also was asked "Most challenging role, vocally, you've played"

He replied "Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard"

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2011

He has gorgeous hair, Alan Campbell. It lasted one season and people didn't think it worked because the cast didn't have that "Three's Company" feel. It centered on Jack's Bistro and he & Vicki live above it, unmarried, she's a stewardess. I kinda like it. Set where, Santa Monica?

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2011

They should have had Jack get together with Janet for the 3's Company sequel. John Ritter and Joyce Dewitt had amazing chemistry together and could play off each others comic timing perfectly. The producers were just lucky idiots with 3's Company as you can tell by watching The Ropers spin-off. 3's Company was always an ensemble cast-that's why it still did well after Suzanne Somers was fired. 3's a crowd wasn't bad-it was just mediocre. It was not nearly as funny as the original show.

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2011

r9 = Joyce DeWitt.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2011

That was actually the way "Man About the House" ended and it made sense. For Jack to just jump into marriage with Cadorette was ridiculous. The producers didn't care because they wanted to build a show around John (rightfully) but it was doomed before it even started.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2011

In the hooker-chronicle "You'll Never Make Love in this Town Again", Ritter is portrayed as having an insatiable sex drive.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2011

I always felt like Jessica Walter actually originated Lucille Bluth on "Three's A Crowd."

Ritter was talented and could have led a new show but they should have just created a new concept for him rather than trying to spin off Jack Tripper. People expected it to be more "Three's Company" and it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 1307/13/2011

Three's A Crowd = Golden Palace

by Anonymousreply 1407/13/2011

you're welcome

not really..the show is terrible!

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2011

Was Ritter a bit coke-y as well? He seems like it. Wasn't it a heart aneurism that did him in?

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2011

If they'd cast a less milque toasty actress than Mary Cadorette, it may have worked. She barely even registered. The show wasn't terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2011

The produers or Joyce have said that they were toying with the idea of hooking up Janet and Jack for the spinoff. The producers decided against that, because Janet's rather innocuous family had appeared in an episode a few seasons earlier, and they really needed Jack to have an antagonist in the form of his gf's father. I thought that was a pretty lame excuse. I much rather have seen Joyce play opposite John in a romantic role than Mary Cadorette.

by Anonymousreply 1907/13/2011

No I disagree, I think Mary's good with John and she can be a bit mouseburger, but I like her, she got feisty in last night's episode. The wardrobe dept. really screwed her. Jessica Walter looks FAB in comparison. Last two episodes airing tonight & tom'w., then more "Three's Company" (Yuk!) Antenna's been playing the Priscilla Barnes episodes and they suck.

by Anonymousreply 2007/13/2011

Priscilla Barnes's first season with the show was rather good,I thought. Terry was somewhat intelligent, which was a refreshing change from the borderline retarded Chrissy and Cindy. In her last two seasons, the writers turned Terry into a major flake, which really didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 2107/13/2011

There are tons of videos on YT by obsessed fangurls that celebrate the "real" love story between Jack and Janet. %0D %0D I particularly remember an episode of Three's a Crowd in which Jack and his father-in-law were sharing a bed. The scene was hilarious. And John Ritter's barefeet were shown through the entire scene - he had SEXY feet. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 2207/13/2011

John Ritter had phenomenal chemistry with Joyce DeWitt? lmao DeWitt is a horrible comedienne. Besides, Jack always saw homely Janet as a sister. To have him go blind and suddenly lust after Janet would have been a gigantic fuck up. Ew I get hives just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 2307/13/2011

The chemistry between Ritter and Dewitt is one of the reasons the show worked. Dewitt was sort of the straight man to Ritter comic, but she was very good at comedy too. I think the producers and Ritter wanted the new show to really be THE JOHN RITTER SHOW. If they hired Dewitt, she would have wanted an equal partnership and they didn't want that.

by Anonymousreply 2407/13/2011

Joyce Half Wit is appearing off-Bway in that show "Mrs. Manners Presents" [sic] about some advice columnist. Eve Plumb did it previously. Joyce looks old in the poster.

by Anonymousreply 2507/13/2011

Remember the days when Joyce and Ray Buktenica were the Hollywood "It" Couple?

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2011

Yes, R26 -- they truly were 1978's Brad and Angelina.

by Anonymousreply 2707/13/2011

That theme song is awful. It's like they looked at the opening credits for "Webster" and said 'Copy that but make it lamer.'%0D %0D Interestingly, ABC cancelled "Three's A Crowd" to pick up "Diff'rent Strokes" from NBC for one final season.

by Anonymousreply 2807/13/2011

Isn't the song by Rupert Holmes or someone like that? Yeah, it's terrible. Tonight's episode (I think it's the last, for awhile anyway) had a hot surprisingly good tapdancing Mary Cadorette. Didn't like her at first but grew to love her.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2011

I always used to confuse Mary Cadorette with John Ritter's first wife who did that "Double Dirt" dance in Fraternity Row.

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2011

DeWitt is a bad comedic actress. She thinks she's truly gifted though.

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2011

Poor Mary. Once an understudy, always an understudy. Had they cast me, that show would STILL be on the air!

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2011

[quote]Interestingly, ABC cancelled "Three's A Crowd" to pick up "Diff'rent Strokes" from NBC for one final season%0D %0D One of the biggest WTF moments in TV history. NBC had already canceled Diff'rent Strokes and the show's sets had already been torn down. Then ABC had the bright idea to pick it up and try to build a Friday night comedy block around it. They agreed to give Gary Coleman a huge raise and spent a fortune rebuilding the show's sets. It was a huge failure on ABC and was canceled after one season. No idea who's brainchild that was.

by Anonymousreply 3307/14/2011

They showed a very early "Three's Company" tonight and it rocked. They're all in gaucho pants with knee high brown boots, and Suzanne's hair is all Cher-straight. She really was hawt, and DeWitt & John were as well. Famous character actress as Chrissie's mom, she rocked it. Actually, quite French farce and 70s sexy fun, I can see why it was a hit.

by Anonymousreply 3407/14/2011

What channel are you guys watching this on?

by Anonymousreply 3507/14/2011

Did Jessica Walter just do the roles Paula Prentiss no longer want to or what? %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3607/14/2011

Hard to believe now, but "Three's Company" was controversial when it came on in the late 70s. It was considered very raunchy and it showed *gasp* unmarried/unrelated men and women living together! As dumb as it seems now, unmarried or unrelated people of the opposite sex living together was still quite scandalous back then.

by Anonymousreply 3707/14/2011

Joyce DeWitt is not exactly Lucille Ball in the comedic chops department, but she's likeable enough, and far more appealing than Mary Cadorette. And Joyce did have chemistry with Ritter; she's not as awful as people remember.

by Anonymousreply 3807/14/2011

Don't forget casual discussion of...(clutching pearls) homosexuals, r37. That show was strictly forbidden in our home when it first aired. It wasn't until it started playing in reruns and my mom found out my grandmother (her mom) was a fan that she realized it was pretty benign.

by Anonymousreply 3907/14/2011

Joyce DeWitt was underrated. Intelligent performer, and completely believable as Janet. What she had on "Three's Company" was, indeed, the straight figure to John Ritter's goofball -- but she was relatable throughout.

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2011

The producers got lucky with the cast. They all had the chemistry needed to make this little sitcom work and the writing was cleaver and funny. The last season of Company was terrible as almost all the focus shifted to Ritter and the girls were pushed into the background more and more. Even after the Ropers left, somehow the character Don Knotts played worked. Both spinoffs tanked because the premise and supporting cast were not as good (or funny) as Threes Company. Anyone know if the rumor is true they were considering Harry Reems for the Jack Tripper character but ABC got cold feet? Reems would have been a great (and sexier) Tripper!!!

by Anonymousreply 4107/15/2011

I agree with R40.

by Anonymousreply 4207/15/2011

Jack Tripper was ironically the first real popular "gay" character on TV. Ironic because he was really heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 4307/15/2011

DeWitt overacted, overplayed comedy and wore panty hose under her shorts. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 4407/15/2011

The first few seasons were fun farce.

by Anonymousreply 4507/15/2011

Jessica Walter looked old even way back then.

by Anonymousreply 4607/15/2011

The producers made them wear hose all the time to give the illusion of tanned legs. Watch any scene with any of the girls in a nightie or shorts and they're wearing hose.

Bras were discouraged, however.

by Anonymousreply 4707/15/2011

How come Mr. Roper didn't want unmarried couples living in his building but had no problem with gay men and gay male couples (Horace and Mike)living there?

by Anonymousreply 4807/16/2011

Since this has moved onto a "Three's Company" thread, one of the recurring themes was having the Ropers, usually Stanley, listening through the vents on Jack and the girls' conversations. Does anyone remember the episode where Chrissy had the wart or boil and misunderstanding, the Ropers thought she was pregnant? (Mrs. Roper: "My sister had one which weighed eight pounds.", Chrissy: "Ooooh, gross!", Mrs. Roper: "Oh no, Chrissy, it was beautiful.") The underlying aspect is that the Ropers consider Chrissy to either be a slut and/or too stupid to use contraception.

by Anonymousreply 4907/16/2011

The one I just saw had a famous older character actress like Mary Wikes (but not her) playing Chrissie's mom, and today's had a stray puppy subplot and Mr. Roper eating dog food joke. Really lame but fun escapist plots. And I adore Audra Linley, star of "Spellbinder". . .she has a hoopy scene in that.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2011

Mary Cadorette was just beginning to hit her stride when the show was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 5109/30/2013

Cadorette's cunt reeked r51.

by Anonymousreply 5209/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 5309/30/2013

I was a comic genius and the real reason behind the show's success.

by Anonymousreply 5409/30/2013

Sometimes, when I'm sad and blue, I think, "Nary. Mary Cadorette!"

And then, happy that I am not she, my mood lifts.

by Anonymousreply 5509/30/2013

Mary continued to work in TV, then opened a restaurant in the 90s. She moved back to CT in the late 90s to care for her mother who had a stroke. She teaches dance in Hartford. Her husband died a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5610/01/2013

Cadorette did hit her stride when it was cancelled, it was the peak of her loserdom. She continued working in tv, taking what few roles were offered the bug-eyed geek woman, and until she retired to savor the humble delights of being a restauranteur, dance teacher, home health care worker and grieving widow.

by Anonymousreply 5710/01/2013

why are you pissing in Mary Cadorette's cornflakes?

by Anonymousreply 5810/01/2013

Mary who?

by Anonymousreply 5910/01/2013

They should've had Jack shack up with Greedy Gretchen in the spinoff, played by Lydia Cornell.

by Anonymousreply 6010/01/2013

[quote]How come Mr. Roper didn't want unmarried couples living in his building but had no problem with gay men and gay male couples (Horace and Mike)living there?

It was a women's virtue thing. Gay men posed no danger to women.

by Anonymousreply 6110/01/2013

Jack and his stwerdess ho were living in sin. Viewers didn't except the premise for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 6210/01/2013

"Three's A Crowd" would've worked if they had Jack marry Lana, aka Ann Wedgeworth.

by Anonymousreply 6310/01/2013

[quote]"Three's A Crowd" would've worked if they had Jack marry Lana, aka Ann Wedgeworth.

I always assumed Lana moved to Indianapolis and got Ginny from "One Day at a Time" as her middle-aged, sardonic, oversexed doppelganger roommate.

by Anonymousreply 6410/01/2013

And who said the dead can't speak. Tank you for your insight, R63

by Anonymousreply 6510/01/2013

It would've been awesome if the show's premise would've been "straight" Jack meeting some hot guy, developing romantic feelings, realizing that he was gay, and then trying to hide the fact that he was actually gay when everyone else still believed he was straight.

Screw Mary Cadorett and Joyce DeWitt! The love interest should've been me!

by Anonymousreply 6610/01/2013

Fuck all of you bitches. I should've been the love interest on the spinoff. A few seasons earlier, I played Jack's gf in a stealth pilot episode where my character was living with two guys. The flip side of Three's Company, if you will. Can you just imagine how dramatic my pivot would've been during the climax of the Three's A Crowd theme?

by Anonymousreply 6710/01/2013

The problem with "Three's a Crowd" was it didn't have Joyce DeWitt. Yes she's nuts and yes she's been bizarrely obsessed with the personality politics of "Three's Company"; but I agree with the person up-thread who said she and Ritter had great comic energy together--she was a very good straight woman. Also, after a number of years people had grown fond of Janet and didn't want her off the show.

"Three's a Crowd" also had a terrible theme song and opening montage.

by Anonymousreply 6810/01/2013

Suzanne Sommers said that when she heard they were doing a spin-off, her husband/pimp contacted the producers about bringing back Chrissy to be his love interest. It would've been fun, if only to watch Joyce implode.

by Anonymousreply 6910/01/2013

[quote]The problem with "Three's a Crowd" was it didn't have Joyce DeWitt. Yes she's nuts

by Anonymousreply 7010/01/2013

Remember when Joyce and Ray Buktenica were Hollywood's IT couple?

by Anonymousreply 7110/01/2013

Fuck my life for even knowing who he is. I had no idea that they were an item, but I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 7210/01/2013

Anyone wanna nominate me for a Three's Company movie on the silver screen?

by Anonymousreply 7310/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 7410/01/2013

Horrid show. It couldn't have been cancelled soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 7510/01/2013

r72, meet r26.

by Anonymousreply 7710/01/2013

the show had its moments.

Mandan lent it credibility.

by Anonymousreply 7810/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!