Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Asperger''s Syndrome

A friend sent me an email saying he's just been diagnosed with Asperger's.%0D %0D While I have never noticed anything usual, he has suspected a problem since childhood.%0D %0D Besides assuring him that he can now find help, is there anything else I can do?

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

Get him a model train set and a mail order bride.

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2011

suck his dick

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2011

A serious answer: Educate yourself. Read up on Asperger and Autism.

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2011

Assburgers sucks.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2011

It's the male version of fybromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2011

OP here. Thanks, r3, now I can talk with him about the condition without sounding clueless. Found a support group in his area on the site.

by Anonymousreply 607/13/2011

The more polite term is "Butt-Patty," OP.

by Anonymousreply 707/13/2011

If you really did not notice anything different about him, then he is a high functioning with Asperger and should consider himself lucky. Asperger is on the autism spectrum and can be very debilitating to some of the people who have to live with it. It does get somewhat easier as they get older, sometime.

by Anonymousreply 807/13/2011

Ditto R5; does he also have a peanut allergy?

by Anonymousreply 907/13/2011

R5 and R9 are lucky that they know no one who has to live with Asperger. It doesn't mean that they are not idiots, just lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1007/13/2011

Assburgers Delux!

by Anonymousreply 1107/13/2011

Three of my closest friends have Asperger's. A fourth is just below the Asperger's threshold, testing-wise. It seems pretty normal to me. Highly intelligent with greater difficulty in the social arena, and some specialized ways of learning. All three are very geeky, but then all my friends are. It is honestly no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 1207/13/2011

[quote] It's the male version of fybromyalgia.%0D %0D True. But it also costs us a fortune in special education. This and "autism spectrum disorder" is why property taxes keep rising. School budgets are bloated with special needs education.

by Anonymousreply 1307/13/2011

I know a man with Asperger's. He's in RETAIL MANAGEMENT, of all things. He knows the wholesale and retail prices of every item in his department and he can calculate gross margin in his head faster than most people can on a calculator, but he often has to be reminded to even say hello to people on his staff.

by Anonymousreply 1407/13/2011

[quote]Three of my closest friends have Asperger's.

What does that say about you? Do you like people who do not get emotionally attached or invested?

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2011

Fibromyalgia is likely caused by quinolone antibiotics, which women are prescribed much more often than men because they suffer more UTI's. Look up Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox poisoning. They cause severe damage to human cells and/or DNA that does not show up in any mainstream testing. Educate yourself before you end up poisoned by your doctor and an absent FDA.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2011

[quote]because they suffer more UTI's

I'd like to see the stats on that one, dearie

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2011

Risk factors%0D %0D Women suffer from UTIs more frequently than men due to the close placement of the urethral opening to the vagina and anus.%0D %0D Other risk factors that make them more prone to UTI include urine tract defects that block flow of urine, menopause, pregnancy, surgical procedures involving the urinary tract and a suppressed immune system. UTIs are also found to occur more frequently in women who are sexually active as against those who%E2%80%99re not.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1807/13/2011

So many of these diagnosis are bogus. Most are more like to have an Asparagus syndrome than Asperger's.

by Anonymousreply 1907/13/2011

In adult women, though, the rate of UTIs gradually increases with age. Scientists are not sure why women have more urinary infections than men. One factor may be that a woman's urethra is short, allowing bacteria quick access to the bladder. Also, a woman's urethral opening is near sources of bacteria from the anus and vagina. For many women, sexual intercourse seems to trigger an infection, although the reasons for this linkage are unclear.%0D %0D According to several studies, women who use a diaphragm are more likely to develop a UTI than women who use other forms of birth control. Recently, researchers found that women whose partners use a condom with spermicidal foam also tend to have growth of E. coli bacteria in the vagina.%0D %0D Recurrent Infections%0D %0D Many women suffer from frequent UTIs. Nearly 20 percent of women who have a UTI will have another, and 30 percent of those will have yet another. Of the last group, 80 percent will have recurrences.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2007/13/2011

Of COURSE, this thread has been hijacked by fibromyalgia and UTI's.

by Anonymousreply 2107/13/2011

Aspergers is high class Fibromialgia. Each is as bogus as the other.

by Anonymousreply 2207/13/2011

[quote] Women suffer from UTIs more frequently than men due to the close placement of the urethral opening to the vagina and anus.

Wiping back to front?

by Anonymousreply 2307/13/2011

[quote]"Three of my closest friends have Asperger's." What does that say about you? Do you like people who do not get emotionally attached or invested?

They all get thoroughly emotionally attached -- that's a false stereotype. But they often aren't conscious of the need for social interaction or social niceties. That can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but because their social filters are lacking, I can (indeed, need to) say things very bluntly to them without their getting upset. It's a nice change from having to walk on eggshells around people.

by Anonymousreply 2407/13/2011

"Asperger's" no longer exists, according to the DSM.

I don't know how to link but the New York Times has an editorial about a teen who was forced to bear the diagnosis of a disease that doesn't exist, and traumatized. It's criminal how over-anxious frau moms, with the help of the medical establishment, have been foisting this bogus diagnosis on teens (and adults).

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2012

Here's an example of Aspergers in motion:

Last night instead of turning around on a busy road to go only a quarter mile, this guy decided to take the back roads shortcut. Fine but he never thought that the back roads aren't paved after the snowstorm here. So instead we ended up on back roads sliding and hitting potholed like conditions. A normal person factors in the obstacles but not an Aspie. His brain only goes as far as a Google map in normal conditions. They also make more out of everything. They see obstacles where there aren't any and don't see obstacles where a normal person would factor it in. God, they're so dumb. It's so frustrating for above average intelligent people. Thanks for letting me vent.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

There's a good (and funny) book by a guy with Asperger's called "The Journal of Best Practices." The author's name is David Finch, and the book began as a list of helpful hints he jotted down, to keep from pissing off his wife with behavior that was accidentally anti-social. (An example: "Don't change the radio station when she's singing along.") For people without Asperger's, it's a useful look at what kinds of common-sense things a person with Asperger's might not understand. And I think it could be helpful to a person *with* Asperger's, too, both as an actual guidebook and a "you are not alone" kind of support thing.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!