Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What if an enormous solar flare knocks out the national power grid and plunges us into darkness?

We would have to start from scratch, right? The playing field would, once again, be level.

Or, do you think the power elite have a back-up plan? I know there is an underground city below Denver.

by Anonymousreply 5011/09/2013

Of course they have a plan. Evil people make plans.

by Anonymousreply 107/10/2011

Read the book and find out.

by Anonymousreply 207/10/2011

In a worst-case-scenario event, society would devolve back to a Wild West level of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 307/10/2011

Darkness would be the least of our worries.%0D %0D We'd be unbelievably lucky to devolve only to the Wild West. The savagery of the first year or so would cut the population by 80%, 98% within three years. Some sort of workable culture might be starting here and there in a hundred years or so.

by Anonymousreply 407/10/2011

Mass Starvation would be the immediate problem.

by Anonymousreply 507/10/2011

R5 So true. I like to point out that if people were starving in Seattle because there is only 3-4 days of food ANYWHERE, if they saw a live chicken they'd adopt it.

by Anonymousreply 607/10/2011

by Anonymousreply 707/10/2011

Mass starvation is NOT the problem. Water is. Humans can live up to a month without food. They CANNOT live beyond three days without water. Food can't be grown without water. Major cities rely on power to get water to their populations. Without pump systems running, cities will be abandoned within weeks. You think lack of food causes a problem? There won't be any rioting from food if everyone is incapable of moving from dehydration.

People always talk about food and fuel as if these were the major overriding issues, when the immediate issue is and always will be fresh water. End of the worlders are always fundamentally shortsighted on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 807/10/2011

Is there such a thing as a "national power grid?"

by Anonymousreply 907/10/2011

Gas powered generators would take over for the most important neccessites, like water pumping. The grid would take years to fix because the transformers take so long to make.

by Anonymousreply 1007/10/2011

[quote]In a worst-case-scenario event, society would devolve back to a Wild West level of civilization.

Um, you do realize that's what we've had for some time now in inner cities, with sky-high crime, right?

by Anonymousreply 1107/10/2011

[quote]In a worst-case-scenario event, society would devolve back to a Wild West level of civilization.

Try the Dark Ages.

by Anonymousreply 1207/10/2011

I'd go, with everyone else, to the creeks, lakes, and rivers, before I'd die of thirst!

But then, I'm in a Mid-Atlantic state.

by Anonymousreply 1307/10/2011

OP sounds a lot like Miss Edie with solar flare paranoia.

by Anonymousreply 1407/10/2011

One time, I farted into a pillow case.

by Anonymousreply 1507/10/2011

I'm sure the government has plans for catastrophes like that

by Anonymousreply 1607/10/2011

Fill the city under Denver with water and then where would the evil people be? Huh? Explain that!

by Anonymousreply 1707/10/2011

If only we'd learned cursive.

by Anonymousreply 1807/10/2011

Hopefully the solar flare armageddon (sounds like a bad SyFy movie) would be followed by a zombie apocalypse to clear out most of the population, leaving enough food and water for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 1907/10/2011

A good idea would be to fill your bathtub with balloons just in case the oxygen runs out.

by Anonymousreply 2007/10/2011

Can't we just eat, like, Twinkies?

by Anonymousreply 2107/10/2011

OP please explain the whole underground Denver thing. I've been in Colorado for almost a decade and have never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 2207/10/2011

I think I've mentioned here before that FEMA is putting solar flare resistant AM broadcast transmitters all over the country right now because of concerns that most of the existing communications infrastructure could simply blow up in many of the existing solar flare or EMP (electromagnetic pulse) nuke scenarios. It's clearly a possibility in their thinking, either through nature or terrorism.

AM radio can literally be received on homemade radios made of old razor blades and wire, should it come to that.

by Anonymousreply 2307/10/2011

[quote] AM radio can literally be received on homemade radios made of old razor blades and wire, should it come to that%0D %0D My mother's coworker received an AM radio station through her toilet and her daughter received it through her braces.%0D %0D It was the 60s, and they lived near a transmission tower...

by Anonymousreply 2407/10/2011

[quote] AM radio can literally be received on homemade radios made of old razor blades and wire, should it come to that.%0D %0D All those people living in old houses with razor blade slots in the bathroom wall should be good, then.

by Anonymousreply 2507/10/2011

I want to make a radio out of razor blades! Is there a how-to link you could share with me?

by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2011

Kids used to make their own radios in the 1930s

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2011

Here's a book about the U.S. getting EMP'd.

"One Second After"

3 nukes detonated 100 miles above the U.S. turns off the lights.

Everything electronic stops working. Even the cars. Only 60's cars and earlier still work.

In the book, starvation is the problem. Anyone needing medication has a death sentence. People in hospitals and rest homes are toast in the first few days.

90% death rate in the first year.

by Anonymousreply 2807/10/2011

Google "foxhole radio" for a lot of different articles, R26. Here's one in operation at link. The powered computer speakers would be replaced be earphones, in the FEMA scenario. Obviously making these would be the cottage industry of the new millineum.

by Anonymousreply 2907/10/2011

When Allied troops were halted near Anzio, Italy during the spring of 1944, personal portable radios were strictly prohibited as the Germans had radio detecting equipment that could detect the local oscillator signal of superheterodyne receivers. %0D %0D Crystal sets lack local oscillators, so they cannot be detected in this way. Some resourceful GIs found that a crude crystal set could be made from a coil made of salvaged wire, a rusty razor blade and a pencil lead for a diode. %0D %0D By lightly touching the pencil lead to spots of blue on the blade, or to spots of rust, they formed what is called a point contact diode and the rectified signal could be heard on headphones or crystal ear pieces. The idea spread across the beachhead, to other parts of the war, and to popular culture. The sets were dubbed "foxhole receivers" by the popular press, and they became part of the folklore of World War II.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3007/10/2011

And, of course, Lucille Ball claimed to receive radio signals from Japanese spies via her dental fillings.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2011

Something else to worry about!

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2011

"A good idea would be to fill your bathtub with balloons just in case the oxygen runs out." And make sure you create balloon animals for an ample food supply.

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2011

So, like, FB and Twitter will still work, right?

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2011

Wouldn't this solve our obesity problem?

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2011

A tv show, possibly The Doctors, had an ep about a month or two ago focussed on surviving emergencies.

They showed a really brilliant invention: it's like a huuuge "inflatable" water bottle, or kind of like a waterbed liner.

In case of emergency, you put it in the bathtub and run fresh water into it. It'll hold a few hundred (?) gallons of clean water.

by Anonymousreply 3607/11/2011

[quote] AM radio can literally be received on homemade radios made of old razor blades and wire, should it come to that.

Um, couldn't I just use my battery powered or handcrank radio with an AM tuner?

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2011

This is no joke; it's likely to happen. What about all of the nuclear power plants?

by Anonymousreply 3807/11/2011

The planet Vulcan was once a forrest planet which suffered a solar flare. The natives were thrown into a fuedal state and several thhousands of years passed befor Sarnac proposed the use of logic and cointrol of emotional reactions which became the foundation of Vulcan society as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 3907/11/2011

What good is making a radio out of razor blades if Clear Channel gets knocked off the air.

There still won't be anything to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 4007/11/2011

Is this from a broke ass Dave DeCoteau movie produced by the geniuses at Regent Entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 4107/11/2011

[quote]Um, couldn't I just use my battery powered or handcrank radio with an AM tuner?

The electromagnetic pulses authorities worry about are huge and actually large enough to fry most all unprotected solid state electronics, even if unconnected to wall current or antennas.

The FEMA supplied backup AM transmitters actually are completely enclosed and sealed metal boxes which sit next to AM towers unconnected to anything, waiting until after an event to be connected. The boxes are containerized buildings which are actually Faraday Cages, which completely protect the electronics inside.

There are lots of YouTube videos (search 'EMP protection'), some of which are quite amusing conspiracy nut productions, which show how to protect consumer electronics with improvised Faraday cages. This can be as simple as wrapping a spare portable radio in a couple layers of aluminum foil and storing it, stashing a laptop or backup hard drive in a completely enclosed metal filing cabinet, or putting electronics in a small metal trash can with a snug fitting lid. The conductive metal that completely surrounds the device protects it from EMP. The idea may seem crackpot, but the concern is quite real.

I'm reporting from the perspective of someone involved in radio engineering and transmitter operations, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 4207/11/2011

How do you make a radio out of razor blades?

by Anonymousreply 4311/09/2013

R36 the gun nuts would just break into your house and shoot you and drink your water. Even if we won't have food or water we will always have plenty of guns.

by Anonymousreply 4411/09/2013

Haven't you people been watching Revolution?

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2013

Some of us would be forced to eat our ferrets.

by Anonymousreply 4611/09/2013

I'd really rather not survive in a scenario such as that. I'd just like to get a chance to put the dog down (would not leave him to whatever fate on his own) and off myself with as little pain as possible before the neighbours went feral.

by Anonymousreply 4711/09/2013

All I can say is I'm glad I live on MY side of town and not on THEIR side of town!

by Anonymousreply 4811/09/2013

I have solar panels on my roof! Ha!

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2013

[quote]How do you make a radio out of razor blades?

Forget that expensive solar powered C.Crane Doomsday Radio! Bre Pettis shows you how.

by Anonymousreply 5011/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!