Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you ever dream about your deceased pet?

My childhood dog died over a decade and a half ago. I got her when I was 12 and she died when I was 22. Growing up, she was my responsibility, she slept in my bed. She was honestly taught me what love is, I loved her that much. I went away to college and she had a stroke and died about a year later. I never got a chance to say goodbye to her before she had to be put down.

To this day, occasionally I will have very vivid dreams about her as if she is alive. The dreams are always about me having left her somewhere or forgotten to feed her, or trying to get back to her. And just tonight, I had a pang of sadness that I would never see her again.

Do you ever dream about a lost pet?

by Anonymousreply 1307/08/2011

Not exactly, but sometimes I try to "meditate" to get myself to fall asleep. This usually involves picturing myself in the most peaceful environment I can imagine. I always have the same picture in my mind: Me in a big white bed with my deceased cat (over 15 years) curled up at my feet.

by Anonymousreply 107/08/2011

Yes and in my dreams I am always losing her or failing her in some way. She has been dead for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 207/08/2011

Yes, I have dreamed about my cat who ran away;my dreams always involve me finding my cat somewhere and petting him, and we are almost in our old neighborhood. I sense from your dream that you feel responsible for your pet's death. You shouldn't, you seem like a very kind and responsible owner, your pet must have had a good life :)

by Anonymousreply 307/08/2011

I still have dreams of a fantastic pet parakeet that died over 20 years ago. Very vivid. He is sometimes sick in these dreams.

by Anonymousreply 407/08/2011

I sometimes dream about my sweet tuxedo boy whom I had to put to sleep just under two years ago. I sometimes also dream about my dad, who passed away over a year and half ago. Sometimes both of them are healthy and happy and sometimes they are sick again. It's hard to deal with those dreams when I wake up.

by Anonymousreply 507/08/2011

I had to have my dog put to sleep a couple of years ago after having her 13 years. At first I would have bad dreams, like mentioned above...could hear her barking but couldn't find her or she would be hurt and I couldn't get to her. Now I have dreams about her but in them she's healthy and riding in my truck with me or sitting at my feet. When I wake up from those dreams I always look to the foot of my bed expecting her to be laying there.

by Anonymousreply 607/08/2011

Well, there's Max, Freckles, Hopi and K-dog. Circumstances haven't permitted me to have any new dogs, yet these old spirits are still here in this space, and yes...vibrant, wonderful and alive in my dreams.

by Anonymousreply 707/08/2011

R6, I could have written the exact same post (except for the riding in the truck part), and my dog was male. But he was 13, died two years ago, I used to have dreams where he was lost and I couldn't find him, then I wake up in a panic hoping to find him in his bed right at the foot of my bed.

Scary.

by Anonymousreply 807/08/2011

Yes...I dream of The surprised look on my precious Kitty Puffers face just before I brought the base ball bat down......HARD.

by Anonymousreply 907/08/2011

You went away to college when you were 21?

by Anonymousreply 1007/08/2011

[quote]Not exactly, but sometimes I try to "meditate" to get myself to fall asleep. This usually involves picturing myself in the most peaceful environment I can imagine. I always have the same picture in my mind: Me in a big white bed with my deceased cat (over 15 years) curled up at my feet.

Dude, you dream about your cat being dead? Ew.

by Anonymousreply 1107/08/2011

Years ago, I faced the heartbreaking choice of how to remove one of my three kitties from my household.

I brought Saber into my home when her owners, my neighbours, moved away and were going to just lock her out of their house and let her survive on the street.

My already-resident cats LOATHED her and made her life miserable. I suspect that when I wasn't home, Saber literally did not move from her hiding space under my bed until I returned hours later; she was that tormented by the other 2.

Finally, I accepted that Saber was living a miserable life and that she'd be better off out of my household. After months of trying, I was unsuccessful in finding anyone who would adopt her (she had the annoying habit of pissing on everything I owned, sometimes even while I was using or wearing it!), and the local humane society puts down kitties like it's going out of style.

One night as I tried to find her a new home, I had a horrible nightmare. In it, I visited a pet store that I used to work near. In the dream, I returned to that store for the first time in 5 years, and found my poor Saber in one of their cages! She'd been locked up the whole time (ie, 5 years), with no family or outside playtime. It was horrible, I felt so fucking guilty that my tears woke me up.

Soon after, I decided to put Saber to sleep rather than risk her being in a cage for the rest of her life. Imo, she was better off that way; in her last moments, I held and stroked her while they gave her the injection, and told her she was a good girl and how much I loved her.

Some of you will probably freak out on me for this, putting down a probably-healthy cat, but I couldn't find any other options that wouldn't have also resulted in her death or worse.

Anyway, back on topic, about once a year, I again dream that I find Saber has been locked up in a pet store for years. It's always a very unpleasant dream and brings back all the horrible memories of her death. I guess it's guilt over my choice, even though I still stand by it.

by Anonymousreply 1207/08/2011

[quote]I sense from your dream that you feel responsible for your pet's death. You shouldn't, you seem like a very kind and responsible owner, your pet must have had a good life :)

That is the hard part. My mom was a single mom and shortly after I went away to college she lost her job and had to move from her home into a temporary living situation. She had to board our dog during that period since she could not have her where she was living. It was during that period that my dog's health began to fail. I feel really sad about her being sick and alone. My mom was just as crushed as I was, but she was there with her in the end, I was not.

[quote]You went away to college when you were 21?

I went away to college when I was 18. Took some time off for financial reasons and went back when I was 20/21. My dog died when I was 22.

by Anonymousreply 1307/08/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!