Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Asbestos buried in my next door neighbor''s side yard right next to my yard.

Some of it is in an uncovered pile on the edge of my property.

Apparently the previous owner (a huge homophobic asshole) buried all of his asbestos in his side yard. My neighbor discovered it while renovating his house.

Here's the thing. I've been digging in my garden for years right next to this buried toxic mess, and have eaten tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce grown from that soil.

My partner told me it's no big deal and not to make waves, but I'm really concerned.

Are we going to die? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2013

AFAIK, you have breathe it and have the fibers lodge in your lung tissue for this mineral to be the most harmful to your health.

by Anonymousreply 107/06/2011

OMG! That's what's killing so many of the 911 first responders.

by Anonymousreply 207/07/2011

Yikes OP.

by Anonymousreply 307/07/2011

Call a meso attorney right away!

by Anonymousreply 407/07/2011

Are your affairs in order, OP?%0D %0D Really, I wouldn't be much concerned, though your next door neighbor should be if only for legal consequences, particularly when he sells the property.%0D %0D State fines are often in the $10,000 range for homeowners who improperly dispose of asbestos themselves, and even for hiring unlicensed contractors to dispose of it. %0D %0D The type of material figures into the expense of remediation: asbestos-laden floor tile is typically less of a threat, say, than the much more friable asbestos insulation formerly used to insulate pipes in basements.

by Anonymousreply 507/07/2011

We're all going to die.

by Anonymousreply 607/07/2011

Seriously, OP, I would call your municipal neighborhood inspection services. That can't be legal.

by Anonymousreply 707/07/2011

Call Poison Control department, look in your phone book. A special Hazmat team has to come and dispose that shit.

by Anonymousreply 807/07/2011

If it makes you feel ny better, OP, my dad was a carpenter and worked with that shit for years, and he died of old age.%0D %0D Howver, the dangerous part is inhaling particles. I'd talk to somebody who is an expert on that to find out whether it's likely your veggies had particles on them. Probably, if they did, they were washed off. %0D %0D Definitely get somebody out there to clean it up. You can't sell your house without disclosing it.

by Anonymousreply 907/07/2011

Your potential danger depends on what kind of asbestos it is. You have to discover that. %0D %0D So, of course, you need to notify the authorities. But you also need to get a sample yourself and preserve it. Not YOU personally but someone on your behalf. If it's cleaned up and tossed you may be unable to prove causation.%0D %0D Seems you have grounds to sue your former neighbor and your current neighbor. And the manufacturer. Don't be the sucker nice guy. Of course the asbestos industry may have lobbied for legislation to protect itself and maybe everyone else but that is why you need an attorney with specific asbestos experience.%0D %0D Don't say anything more to your neighbor about it or you'll tip him off and he will hide the evidence. Quickly go see an attorney with this specific experience. Don't be fooled that just any attorney will know what to do. Since this is something that can have severe and costly consequences for you way down the road you need the appropriate advice on how to handle this.%0D %0D Good luck, OP. Let's hope it's not the harmful asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 1007/07/2011

Casey did it!

by Anonymousreply 1107/07/2011

I once knew someone who lived next door to an asbestos burial ground... and then he died.

You in danger, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 1207/08/2011

bump for op

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2011

A hazmat crew will move in, it will be on the local news, and your new neighbor will hate you too!

by Anonymousreply 1507/09/2011

we have a very close neighbor with big yellow bags of asbestos in it. its been laying there for over a year. geting rained on etc.the water runs into are yard and into our garden. are we in danger

by Anonymousreply 1611/14/2011

Pic please. What does asbestos look like?

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2011

Maybe it will take root and grow into a mighty asbestos tree.

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2011

The asbestos has to be cleaned up and will be if you report it. Breathing asbestos is the problem, don't know about other hazards such as your food contamination. YOU MUST REPORT THIS, not handling asbestos correctly is a big deal

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

Asbestos isn't harmful unless you breath it in. You can eat it and it won't harm you. But as one poster said, just don't get any in your lungs.

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2013

OP, you'll be fine, just like I was.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

More like the other way around, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

[quote]We are in a rental wich is very poorly renovated and I'm not being racist but by Asians.

I believe you - I stayed at a motel in LA owned and operated by Asians and it was a complete disgusting shithole. They don't care about quality, only that they get money.

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

Surely Data Lounge is the place to ask a question like fucking stupid are you?

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!