Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Creepy crawlies found in your home lately

Mice, roaches, spiders? I just killed a 1.5 inch roach in my house. The cat alerted me to it. I guess he came in for water since it's so dry. Time to call the exterminator. Last year I had a rat in my laundry room coming in through the dryer vent.

by Anonymousreply 13210/12/2014

I get the little scorpions in the house in the summer. I stepped on one once and it was like a bee sting. When I catch them, I flush them down the toilet. Also had a wolf spider w/ all its babies on board in the basement. I caught it and threw it in the woods. I am pro-life for wolf spiders.

by Anonymousreply 107/06/2011

I've had a few spiders.

by Anonymousreply 207/06/2011

I found Bai Ling scampering over my roof recently.

by Anonymousreply 407/06/2011

Brown recluse.

Former roommate.

by Anonymousreply 507/06/2011

Kelly Hu is in my basement.

by Anonymousreply 607/06/2011

Clock spider.

by Anonymousreply 707/06/2011

[quote]When I catch them, I flush them down the toilet.

Does that kill them?

by Anonymousreply 807/06/2011

Just got a bad batch of oragnic peaches over the weekend, every one that I cut into had at least 1 of some type of black creepy crawly init, worm like with 100 legs. Ick doesn't even begin to cover it. left on the counter for my asshat room-mate to eat.

by Anonymousreply 1007/06/2011

You need to bring those back and get a refund on those peaches.

by Anonymousreply 1107/06/2011

As I was typing saw a baby roach crawling up the screen. A friend suggests shooting roachh spray in a plastic bag and storing my laptop there every night. Won't the spray do harm to the innards?

by Anonymousreply 1207/06/2011

Potato bug (aka Satan's cricket) on front porch...almost stepped on it. Threw it in grill..added some charcoal added lighter fluid and burnt the thing till it was dust. I did not want to chance it coming back from the dead in the trash...%0D %0D %0D here is a clip showing this nasty thing being held by some seriously deranged individual. Potato bugs bite.

by Anonymousreply 1307/06/2011

omg potato bugs give me the creeps...ewwwwwwwwww

by Anonymousreply 1407/06/2011

I recently moved to North Carolina, and of all the negative things about living here, the creepy crawlies are the worst. On any given night I'll find all sorts of nasty creatures having a party on my kitchen floor. I'm still trying to figure out how they get in. %0D %0D I'm from up north where we just have swatting bugs (mosquitos, gnats, etc). All these crawly creatures are horrifying. I also just saw my first copperhead slithering through the yard. I will not be going out to the yard again - thank goodness for lawn service.

by Anonymousreply 1507/06/2011

omg, R13, that is the NASTIEST thing I have ever seen!%0D %0D I have a horror story for you...this wasn't lately, this was two years ago. My partner and I come home from work, I walk into the kitchen, and there are DOZENS of baby cockroaches crawling ALL OVER a cardboard box that was on the counter; one of those empty boxes you get from Costco to carry your things in. %0D %0D We killed as many as we could, but of course the little bastards were crawling EVERYWHERE, in drawers, etc. There obviously was an egg sac on the box that had probably hatched seconds before we walked into the house. Apparently roaches like to hid and lay their eggs inside the folds of cardboard boxes. %0D %0D It was like a scene from a horror movie, all of those little roaches crawling EVERYWHERE. We tried to take care of it on our own with sprays, boric acid and one of those "bug bombs", but eventually had to call an exterminator. It was pure hell. %0D %0D (in more recent news--I fucking hate crickets!!! These little fuckers always make their way into the house. My partner--the butch one-- likes to kill bugs and chase me with them while I scream and run)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1607/06/2011

My cousin is remodeling her bathroom. When they ripped open the wall, they found a 2 1/2 foot snake.

by Anonymousreply 1807/06/2011

A friend just found a black widow spider in her A/C grill.

by Anonymousreply 1907/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 2007/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 2107/06/2011

[quote] I have these big (about 1 1/2 inch long) black beetle-things in my garage - they linger around the area where the sink and washer are and scatter whenever I turn on the light. Seem to like water and dampness. I have no idea what they are%0D %0D They sound like waterbugs, aka palmetto bugs. Read this article, which says they "do not colonize homes", and then goes onto describe how they live in basements, air ducts, pipes, etc. %0D %0D Er... we have basements, air ducts and pipes in homes.

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2011

They planted a field of organic potatoes nearby, so we have a lot of beetley type bugs this year. Potatoes are a very buggy crop. %0D %0D It's the last farm field left in the neighborhood, so we don't get nearly the amount of bugs we used to get. It used to be impossible to sit outside in summer after dark. %0D %0D In mid-July, we'd get an invasion of flying roaches which lasted about 3 weeks. Millions of the things, which the locals called "farm roaches." They were attracted to light and would bombard the screens of lit windows. Babies would get through the screen and grow up inside the house, head for the cabinets that had cereal, rice, etc, and scare the shit out of everyone. Then, they'd die. %0D %0D I bought a bunch of little nightlight-type lamps which used 7 watt bulbs -- enough so I could see in a room, but not light up my windows -- and used them in July.

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2011

Our spider friends are always welcome, but with the heat wave, the ants have invaded

by Anonymousreply 2407/06/2011

Yep, palmetto bugs. That's what was in my house last night. Can someone tell me if a flying roach is the same as the palmetto bug? The one last night didn't try and fly at me when I sprayed him so I was wondering.

by Anonymousreply 2507/06/2011

We had two mouse sightings over the winter. I don't know if it was the same mouse each time. The exterminator was able to pinpoint the point of access: the wall behind our stove, which for some reason didn't have a baseboard. We installed a baseboard and haven't seen anything since. %0D %0D Both times we saw a mouse, it was cruising down our hallway toward the living room (a straight shot from the kitchen) while we were watching TV. Needless to say, relaxing on the couch wasn't very relaxing for several weeks. %0D

by Anonymousreply 2607/06/2011

I feel bad for mice. They are kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 2707/06/2011

Get Combat roach traps that are specially made for waterbugs/palmetto bugs.

by Anonymousreply 2807/06/2011

These are what you need for big roaches

by Anonymousreply 2907/06/2011

"creeply crawlies"???

whatta queen

by Anonymousreply 3007/06/2011

I remember the Jamaican women at my job talking about how horrible it was to have to use the outhouse after a thunderstorm (which apparently happen pretty frequently in Jamaica). They said the walls and floors of the outhouse would be covered by waterbugs/palmetto bugs. They would squish and crunch the bugs as they walked and the bugs would fly blindly at them.

by Anonymousreply 3107/06/2011

OMG, R31, I would definitely use the bushes. I would freak out. I hate those fuckers. If I see one in my house I can't sleep and if I see one outside I keep a good eye on them in case they get too close.

by Anonymousreply 3207/06/2011

The best DIY pest control is ZEPT concentrate, you can buy it at Home Depot, not Lowes. you put a few drops mixed with water in a pressurized sprayer, works great. I live in the desert, so we get those huge date bugs (huge roaches) on occassion.

by Anonymousreply 3307/06/2011

Rhode Island here...earwigs and due to the heavy rain this spring have encountered ticks. Both of these freak me out.

by Anonymousreply 3407/06/2011

I hate earwigs. I think I saw some show as a kid where a guy went insane and they pulled an earwig out of his ear that had eaten through his brain.

by Anonymousreply 3507/06/2011

Some things like ultra-tiny ants with long skinny wings came up through the floor tiles in swarms. "RAID"ed 'em to death.

by Anonymousreply 3607/06/2011

Flying ants. Apparently the males grow wings at reproduction time and then fly around until they die. It started with just a few, then it was like 100 every night. They come out between midnight and 4 am and are attracted to light. The building manager says oh they found a nest and removed it so these are harmless, looking for the nest which is gone, but I'm not 100% convinced.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3707/06/2011

OMG! I found this in my bathroom one morning. I decided to keep it!

by Anonymousreply 3807/06/2011

Could be termites though R36, you need to check.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3907/06/2011

I've been getting lots of ants which make a beeline for the cats food. Hve also had a large number of crickets this year. Not sure if it's because it's so dry. Don't mind the crickets. The ants are making me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4007/06/2011

Cave crickets, which I hate. I don't mind regular brown crickets, but I hate cave crickets. They are blind and they jump towards movement, so they will jump on you. It's like having a huge spide jump on you.%0D %0D i cannot go in my grage after dark in summer. Luckily, they all die in autumn.

by Anonymousreply 4107/06/2011

I get a kick out of Clock Spider every time. It never gets old.%0D %0D Ants are taking over the world. Do NOT put in a brick walkway and allow neighbors to tell you that it doesn't look good to put cement in between the bricks. You will get ants between the brickls and they will undermine the whole thing. Use cement.

by Anonymousreply 4207/06/2011

Where are potato bugs found? I've never seen one before (and I hope I never do again).

by Anonymousreply 4307/06/2011

Great website:

by Anonymousreply 4407/06/2011

moved upstate from NYC and can handle all the bugs here - nothing NOTHING is as bad as a water bug!! we used to debate whether they flew or jumped but there were awful and I can handle any country bug - or snake - as long as I never have to see roaches or water bugs (mutant roaches, giant - maybe from palmettos coming up in suitcases from florida) again. they are the worst!

by Anonymousreply 4507/06/2011

Crickets are considered good luck in a home. In Japan, they were given as house warming gifts, in little cages. Don't know if this tradition still goes on.

by Anonymousreply 4607/06/2011

Biggest roach I ever saw came out of my grocery bag that I just put on the counter. I had bought bananas and some other produce. I freaked out when this huge, brownish-black roach crawled out. Screamed like a banshee and sprayed the shit out of it. I guess it was some imported banana bug or something. The thought of that thing in my car freaks me out because if it came out while I was driving I would have wrecked.

Seriously, bags and boxes are great places for insects to hitch a ride in.

by Anonymousreply 4707/06/2011

I can't stand the ants coming in the house. Drives me insane and makes my skin crawl. %0D Last night I found a nasty Black Widow in the garage. %0D

by Anonymousreply 4807/06/2011

We called them June bugs, they aren't roaches but rather really big beetles. I've seen more dead ones than live ones, usually on their back. One day when I came home from class, I opened a window just a bit without putting in a screen. I heard a sound like a mini-helicopter and all of a sudden, WHACK, one hit me right in the middle of my forehead and fell onto the book that I had opened up. I screamed like a little girl and threw the book across the room. The worst part was that I didn't see where the bug landed. I looked down and it was crawling up my trouser leg. I resumed screaming, shaking my leg, and trying to get my trousers off. I finally found it, half dead, under the sofa.

by Anonymousreply 4907/06/2011

I get house centipedes all the time. They're harmless, but creepy. The strange thing is that they seem to sense when you see them.

Last summer, I had a skink get into the house. Once again, harmless, but I didn't want to end up finding a dead lizard. Capturing the little guy was loads of fun.

by Anonymousreply 5007/06/2011

I'm in Houston and we get bombarded by June bugs. They are dumb and blind. I have no idea what they are but someone told me they used to be grubs???

by Anonymousreply 5107/06/2011

Junebugs are everywhere around here during the first half of summer, and somehow manage to get in your house even with screens on all the windows and doors. A couple of weeks ago I was in bed and just falling asleep when I felt something crawling on my leg. I jumped out of bed, tore off my pajama pants, and there was a huge junebug on my leg! The fucker apparently crawled under my covers before I got in bed and then crawled up my leg, under my pajamas. Gross. Junebugs look similar to cockroaches, but they're not as large. They don't bite, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 5207/06/2011

June bugs are not necessarily gross, until they arrive in numbers. Worst encourter...southern california, in our pool at night. We turned on the light, and it was a cloud of freaking june bugs. I ducked under for as long as i could looking for an area to surface where they werent at. in the end i just ran out of the pool screaming and shaking my head.

by Anonymousreply 5307/06/2011

It would help if you also wrote where you lived. Are most of these bugs in the South? I was under the impression that the Southwest and Pacific Northwest don't have a lot of bugs, despite the heat.

by Anonymousreply 5407/06/2011

My june bug episode happened in NYC. The bugger was almost two inches long and an inch wide

by Anonymousreply 5507/06/2011

I grew up in London and we used to get Stag beetles in the summer. Huge, scary looking things. When they'd fly, you'd hear them coming from a mile away. %0D I think they are quite an endangered species now.

by Anonymousreply 5607/06/2011

They have stag beetles in the UK? I thought those were limited to places in Asia. They are hideous.

by Anonymousreply 5707/07/2011

I thought that too R54 but I learned the SW has lots of bugs and NY sounds like it has huge roaches too.

I'm in Houston and we have tons of insects unfortunately. Fire ants, cicadas (those sound nice though), flying cockroaches, spiders, june bugs, fuck bugs, earwigs, you name it.

by Anonymousreply 5807/07/2011

Brown widows are all over the place here in Southern California now. I had never heard of them before. They look and behave similarly to black widows, and, according to a recent newspaper article entitled "Brown is the New Black," they are replacing the black widow population.

by Anonymousreply 5907/07/2011

I live in the sticks, surrounded by mountains and woods and streams, so there are all kinds of crawly things. By good fortune and quarterly pest service, nothing exceptional gets in the house except maybe a mouse once a year, an annual swarm of lady bugs every fall, and the occasional miniscule spider. %0D %0D Outside at the back terrace, a box turtle who visited regularly last year reappeared -- sitting on the same rock, waiting for a small bowl of cat food. By far the best crawly thing outside are the salamanders that appear in great numbers after heavy rains. Only 1" to 3" long and often brilliantly colored, they're very slow moving and docile -- unlike the blue-tailed skinks that dart in and out and remind me of snakes sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 6007/07/2011

This year it's bveen very rainy - and now we have a problem with big black carpenter ants. I sprayed with Ortho Home Defense - inside and out - at least three times in the last month. After not seeing any ants for a few weeks, I saw one crawling on my bedroom drapes and then two on the bedroom floor. We are finding one and two here and there - they are not confinced to one room and there aren't tons of them. We can'f figure out if there is one spot in the house where they are coming from.%0D %0D %0D ICK.

by Anonymousreply 6107/07/2011

[quote] Crickets are considered good luck in a home. In Japan, they were given as house warming gifts, in little cages.%0D %0D Those are brown chirping crickets, not the disgusting beige cave crickets (aka camel crickets) which do not chirp. They just gather in large numbers and jump on you.%0D %0D I never saw a cave cricket until I was about 35 years old. I like brown crickets, but I think cave crickets are displacing them.%0D %0D I never saw an earwig until I was 10. My mom was about 37 years old and she'd never seen one either. none of the parents on my block had ever seen one. That year, lots of people got above-ground pools which were shipped up from the Carolinas, and when we opened the boxes, earwigs came out. Everyone screamed.%0D %0D My Irish grandmother came over. My mother killed one and showed it to her. "Oh, those are eary wigs! We have them in Ireland. They crawl into your ear while you are sleeping. That's why we call them eary wigs."%0D %0D Of course, this bit of information led to nightmares for years.

by Anonymousreply 6207/07/2011

If you're scared of bugs, deploy some lizards around your house. They can climb walls & walk on ceilings, & they eat lots of bugs. Quiet, no trouble, some are beautiful -- I love them.

by Anonymousreply 6307/07/2011

R22 and R28, thank you for the palmetto bug/waterbug info. Will try some of those Copmbat traps.

I have never see the ones in my garage fly, though. They just crawl and skitter around.

by Anonymousreply 6407/07/2011

[quote]My cousin is remodeling her bathroom. When they ripped open the wall, they found a 2 1/2 foot snake.

There was a show on Animal Planet a few months back called Infestations. In one of the episodes a family's house had been infested by some type of snake, and the mother said that when they lay in their bedrooms at night trying to go to sleep, they could hear the snakes slithering around in their walls.

by Anonymousreply 6507/07/2011

"My june bug episode happened in NYC. The bugger was almost two inches long and an inch wide"

There aren't any June Bugs in NYC. Unless a neighbor brought them back from a trip down South, the huge bugs you are seeing are basically giant roaches AKA American Cockroaches. It figures, we always need to have everything bigger in this country!

For many many years New Yorkers called the American Cockroaches, 'waterbugs' mainly because these large roaches were usually found around water, in damp basements, crawling up riser pipes from basements, through vents etc. I get shivery thinking about those fuckers.

As a kid I lived on the first floor, one crawled up the riser pipe near my bed then onto my bed! Thankfully, I HEARD it and woke up immediately. I ended up plugging up every freaking hole with steel wool by every riser pipe in the apartment! Then sealed it with those metal rings which I glued down. My father was too lazy (or dumb?) to think of this himself!

I now live on the 15th floor, I used to see them, they came through my bathroom vent once when the building was doing some renovations. I simply sealed up the vent. No more super roaches!

The German Cockroaches are the smaller ones.

Combat really works on both these size roaches.

by Anonymousreply 6607/07/2011

I'm surprised no one mentioned stink bugs. They are horrible and if you crush them they literally release a horrible smell...which attracts more stink bugs. A real problem in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 6707/07/2011

R66, I've lived in NYC for three years. I know the difference between beetles and roaches. There are over 200 species of the family Scarabaeidae, many of which live in New England and NY.

[quote] June beetle or May beetle, a blackish or mahogany-colored beetle of the scarab beetle family, widely distributed in North America and [bold]especially abundant in the NE United States and the adjacent parts of Canada. It is also known as June bug[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 6807/07/2011

Ciaran, I've lived in Manhattan my entire life, I know the difference between June Bugs (beetles) and GIANT cockroaches. looool

You've most likely encountered a large American Cockroach! WHY argue with me?

June Bugs aren't very common place in any of the boroughs. Unless it was delivered in with a box of out-of-state vegetables to your supermarket.

IIRC, you mentioned the large bug coming out of a paper bag? btw, who still packs groceries in paper bags?!

Cockroaches, the large or small ones, look NOTHING like beetles!

Some June Bugs might have the same color as roaches, but they aren't as long as the huge cockroaches, they simply look like beetles because they are beetles.

by Anonymousreply 6907/07/2011

Holy fucking shit this thread is going to give me nightmares. It makes the shitting babies thread tame by comparison. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 7007/07/2011

Oh lovely, R35 and R62. For the first time ever, this summer I found an "ant with pinchers" in my bedroom after having been bitten big time by something in the middle of the night for the two previous nights. The good news, if it's possible, is that:

[quote] Earwigs do not burrow into the brains of humans through the ear, nor lay their eggs there either. Nevertheless, being exploratory and omnivorous, earwigs probably would crawl into the human ear if given the chance.

I crushed and flushed the one I found but still I don't know how many of the damn things may be hiding in the shadows. I have noticed ants that I now realize look suspiciously similar on the ground floor of my place. Wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 7107/07/2011

Combat for regular size roaches worked for me. The one for the big water bugs never worked. They will not crawl into it. They have to crawl into to get the stuff that kills them on themselves and spread it to others. The big ones for some reason just won't ever crawl into the Combat thing.%0D %0D The last time I saw one I screamed so loud my neighbor down the hall knocked on my door and asked if I needed the police.%0D %0D I'm terrified of insects of all kinds except Lady Bugs and of all rodents including squirrels. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7207/07/2011

Who is this person in Houston who keeps posting? Are you in montrose?

by Anonymousreply 7307/07/2011

Paper wasps are at their angriest right now, trying to dive bomb into my front door. I finally found their fucking nest in a crevice on the building. I surrounded it with OFF foam and each of those cunts died if they hadnt left the nest for the day. The rest I shot with Raid!

by Anonymousreply 7407/08/2011

Buy mothballs and throw them in the crawlsspace. Cut some holes in the box and toss them. You can use them in the house, but too much is too much. You could put a couple balls underneath your sink. And seal any space around pipes. hell, drop some mothballs down the space.%0D %0D Not a roach, C, but not what we call a junebug down South. Ours are a beautiful green. Yours is just a beetle down here.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7507/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 7607/08/2011

[quote]omg potato bugs give me the creeps...ewwwwwwwwww

Potato bug don't care.

by Anonymousreply 7707/08/2011

I just used an insecticide to kill the fungus gnats that had been partying in my houseplants. I do believe I've killed them. I've killed them all.

by Anonymousreply 7807/08/2011

[quote]For many many years New Yorkers called the American Cockroaches, 'waterbugs' mainly because these large roaches were usually found around water, in damp basements, crawling up riser pipes from basements, through vents etc.

We call them waterbugs because we don't want to admit we have roaches. Roaches are for poor people.

by Anonymousreply 7907/08/2011

Winged Ants.%0D %0D Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 8007/08/2011

+++ for R79.

I never heard the term "waterbugs" until I moved South. The term was new to me and I thought it was a different species, basically a 3-inch cockroach that can fucking FLY.

And it's TRUE! That is what they are. They are evolving fast down here. Next comes thumbs. God help us all.

by Anonymousreply 8107/08/2011

Will mothballs kill those huge roaches? How about putting some in the under sink cabinets?

by Anonymousreply 8207/08/2011

yes, but they can be too strong. i think it keeps them away more and doesn't kill them. buy a box and take off the plastic covering and put the box under the sink without the holes. they REALLY small and that could help.

by Anonymousreply 8307/08/2011

"I never heard the term "waterbugs" until I moved South. The term was new to me and I thought it was a different species, basically a 3-inch cockroach that can fucking FLY.

And it's TRUE! That is what they are. They are evolving fast down here. Next comes thumbs. God help us all."

I think the large roaches in New York, actualy DO fly.

I have a hilarious 'super roach' story, when a relative's husband was in the Marines, he was stationed somewhere down South, he and a few other guys had to move some large dumpster.

He swears when they moved the dumpster, he saw the biggest cockroach he'd even seen in his life. Being from Brooklyn, he'd seen his share of regular and super large roaches.

He said this roach was a least 6-7 inches long! The Marines were even freaking out.This was before cell phones which had cameras, so we had to take his word for it.

A friend was redoing his bathroom shower area tile in his co-op. He hired a few friends who did this type of work, when they pulled down the shower wall near the faucets, there was a nest of the large roaches! The bugs weren't quite as big as the adult large roaches, but they were large enough to send the other guys out screaming!

These bugs are so gross because they are technically huge roaches, which are pretty ugly even in the smaller version!

by Anonymousreply 8407/08/2011

I can stand most bugs, but not the palmetto bugs/waterbugs. I can't stand to see one crawling up the curtains and yes, they will fly at you. In the past my cats have brought one or two into my bed (alive of course), and that will really bring you awake in a hurry. I've managed to catch them in those "Roach Motel" boxes, and those suckers can make the box jump around for ages before they finally wear out.

by Anonymousreply 8507/08/2011

Those huge roaches are actually the size of baby mice!

by Anonymousreply 8607/08/2011

When a palmetto bug takes flight..something comes over me. I could run over an old women, toss a baby as a deflection, or hit the deck like the freaking British are coming. Its like the fight or flight gets triggered and I don't care about what I do, so long as that son of a bitch doesn't land on me.

by Anonymousreply 8707/08/2011

My first encounter with a waterbug: %0D %0D %0D I was living at my parents house after starting my first "grown up job" (one with a steady paycheck and benefits). My shift lasted until 11 pm, and I was invited to go out after work with all the other young people. We went to the local bar/restaurant. I got home about 3 am, all tipsy. I noticed it was very hot, humid and still, like a thunderstorm was about to happen. Lightning flashed. I walked past the foundation bushes and felt a mosquito brush by my neck. I half-heartedly swatted it at.%0D %0D I went inside and had to pee. Since I was kind of drunk, I really needed to turn on the light to see. I peed and as I was about to turn out the light, I caught a side glimpse of myself in the medicine cabinet mirror. There was a smudge on the side of my face. I turned full face towards the mirror and screamed like Janet Leigh. A waterbug was splayed across my entire neck and chin, with some legs on my face. It was holding on tight! I couldn't get it off.%0D %0D My mother had heard my screams and came running into the bathroom just as I fell over backwards, clawing at my face like a maniac. The thing flew off me and my mother started screaming.%0D %0D You would think maybe my father would get out of bed to see what was going on. Not mine. He yelled "shaddap!"%0D %0D My mother manage to kill it with a hand towel she was using like a whip. SPLAT. %0D %0D We were both horrified. We lived in the burbs and had never seen such a creature.%0D %0D I moved to NYC a few years later and saw more than my share of waterbugs after that.

by Anonymousreply 8807/08/2011

Another horrible thing about palmetto bugs is that if it's really quiet and dark you can actually hear them moving around. One night I had been going through some old files and went to bed with a pile still on the floor when I heard a scratching noise. It was persistent enough that I finally turned on the light and there he was, wandering around the papers. Another one made my ceiling fan/light fixture rattle, over my bed of course.

R73, I'm the one you are talking about but no, not Montrose, Clear Lake area. Been posting here about 10 years now.

by Anonymousreply 8907/08/2011

[quote] There aren't any June Bugs in NYC. Unless a neighbor brought them back from a trip down South,%0D %0D I live on Long Island. We have june bugs. Not a lot of them, but we've got 'em. They don't bother me.%0D %0D %0D %0D [quote] We call them waterbugs because we don't want to admit we have roaches. %0D %0D We call them waterbugs becaue they are associated with water. They hang around sinks, pipes, laundry facilities and they are prevalent outdoors when it is humid and about to rain, or after a rain. Also, they can swim. They can fly too, but they don't often do it unless disturbed. %0D %0D Down south they're called palmetto bugs. People down south claim their bugs are bigger than northern "waterbugs" and claim they can be saddle 'em and ride off into the sunset ;)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9007/08/2011

When I moved to NYC, I was given hospital housing (reduced rate housing provided by hospital employers). The place was a former home for unwed mothers and it was a dank, dark dump. Roaches everywhere (including waterbugs). %0D %0D I had the hospital exterminator come in once a month. I bombed the place frequently. I spread boric acid around. I pushed steel wool into cracks with a Swiss army knife. Then I signed up for the exterminator once a week, which was a health hazard. Still, the roaches came.%0D %0D Then Combats came on the market. This was about 1985/86. I bought $40 worth of them, which was a fortune to me in those days. Within 2 weeks, the roach population nosedived. I still occasionally saw a roach, thanks to people living in the building who grew up in roach-infested buildings and didn't mind them. %0D %0D Some of the apartments where roaches were prevalent were identified, and other residents taped Combats all over the bottom and sides of their doors. %0D %0D Combats were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 9107/08/2011

re 88%0D %0D Now THAT is true motherly love!!! :)%0D

by Anonymousreply 9207/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 9307/08/2011

My garden is a mess this year thanks to slugs and little round grayish-brown flat beetle-y looking things with lots of legs. We used to call them "milky bugs." I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 9407/08/2011

My mom managed to instill a morbid fear of bugs in me at an early age -- she would absolutely lose her shit if she encountered, say, a waterbug or a camel cricket in the house (think Prudence Pingleton's wig-out on the mean streets of Baltimore in [italic]Hairspray[/italic]). I remember telling her, "It's not like they can hurt you"; she replied, "No ... but they make me hurt [italic]myself.[/italic]" (One time she ran face-first into a closed door trying to flee a yellow jacket that had gotten inside.)

by Anonymousreply 9507/08/2011

Aha. I found the "milky bugs" online. They're called pillbugs. I have JILLIONS of them in my garden.%0D %0D Also, a billion leafhoppers.

by Anonymousreply 9607/08/2011

re 94...are you talking about the rollie-pollies aka pill bugs? They roll up in a ball when scared. They generally only consume dead plant matter.

by Anonymousreply 9707/08/2011

An enraged hornet got into the house yesterday - one of those black-leather looking mofos with a huge abdomen. I ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. I could hear the cat chasing it around and haven't seen it since yesterday but I'm scared it's waiting to dive-bomb my head.

by Anonymousreply 9807/08/2011

A fly got into my apartment. %0D %0D My younger cat thinks this is the greatest event in the history of the universe! He's apparently taken a solemn vow to never rest until he succeeds in his quest to kill the fly, which explains why I'm still posting at this hour.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9907/09/2011

Omg, r7! That photo made me pee!

by Anonymousreply 10007/09/2011

I came home to a baby rattle snake in my foyer. I am not afraid of snakes so I gently prodded it, with a small stick, into leaving the house. It put up quite a fight as I poked at it, striking at the stick several times before I got it outside. My thoughts are that where there is a young snake...there has to be a mother nearby.

by Anonymousreply 10107/09/2011

Omg, I'm not sleeping after reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10207/09/2011

re 101...the bite of a baby rattlesnack is much much more deadly then an adult...your lucky you did not get bit.

by Anonymousreply 10307/09/2011

WHET the guy who was terrified of a certain kind of bug in his home but didn't know what it was -- turned out to be a silverfish (perfectly harmless to humans, as most bugs are). He turned into a quivering mass whenever he saw one (which seemed to be frequently) & could do nothing but post hysterically on DL. Probably an EST but funny.

by Anonymousreply 10407/09/2011

We used to play with the roly-polys when we were kids. We called them doodlebugs down here.

by Anonymousreply 10507/10/2011

Not inside, but outside, sunning on top of the garbage can on Friday, a coral snake. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

by Anonymousreply 10607/10/2011

R104, I think it was a centipede or millipede that had quivered said poster.

by Anonymousreply 10707/10/2011

Yeah, it was a centipede.

by Anonymousreply 10807/10/2011

I have no fear of spiders whatsoever, in fact I once caught a wolf spider, huge fucker, in a jar and took it from my attached garage outside, but house centipedes scare the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 10907/10/2011

My cats are freaking me out tonight. All three are sitting in one chair staring intently at the ceiling. I'm assuming something is in the attic that I can't hear but I have my Raid on hand.

by Anonymousreply 11007/12/2011

Is everything alright, r110? Now you got me scared.

by Anonymousreply 11107/12/2011

R111 I guess whatever it was went away. They finally quit. One cat actually leaped at the ceiling though. Cats can be so weird.

by Anonymousreply 11207/12/2011

I figured it out. It was baby raccoons on the roof. I just saw them going up a tree and into a hollow where they must be living.

by Anonymousreply 11307/12/2011

Not my home, but a friend's.

Spritzed and killed it.

Friend and gf freaked out.

Don't care.

by Anonymousreply 11409/02/2011

As soon as it got hot, the ants began their advance. We had to harden every entry/window/vent in our house...

by Anonymousreply 11509/02/2011

OMG! Does this guy make house calls?! He can take care of any stray roaches, then bang me senseless afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 11610/15/2013

So this is how the fuckers multiply!

by Anonymousreply 11710/15/2013

You must put a screen on the dryer vent OP and anyone else. I get spiders, not bad but I don't like them. Also, When I was downstairs washing clothes, I saw this centipede that was about three inches long. He was so big I thought it was a mouse. I smashed him to death, but I was shaken so much I could no long do the laundry and had to call for help.

by Anonymousreply 11810/15/2013

Too short to be perfect r116, but he is handsome, and seems to be a good husband and father.

by Anonymousreply 11910/15/2013

R118, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 12010/15/2013

Mice and spiders, mostly (tiny little spiders and big aggressive wolf spiders with their green night eyes.) A quarterly exterminator visit keeps them at bay.

Now is the season of lady bugs and stink bugs.

The occasional squirrel in the attic, and snake in the cellar (which keeps me the hell outta there for half of each year.)

by Anonymousreply 12110/15/2013

If you get a couple of cats from the shelter you won't have half of this vermin.

by Anonymousreply 12210/15/2013

R122 Yes, but then you'll have cats. I'd rather have vermin.

by Anonymousreply 12310/15/2013

We had a maggot invasion last week. They came out of the trash. At first there were about 20 of these fuckers on the kitchen floor. We still find one or two every day. I'm traumatized.

by Anonymousreply 12410/15/2013

We once had silverfishes coming out of the shower drain. The guy we called to get rid of them said they usually appear when you pee in the shower. Now that was an embarassing moment...

by Anonymousreply 12510/15/2013

I bought a container of live wheat grass for my cats to munch and it turned out to be infested with fruit flies.

by Anonymousreply 12610/15/2013

Weevils in a bag of rice in a cabinet. Unfortunately, there were other grains and boxed mixes in there too, and these little bastards spread EVERYWHERE! It's scary how quickly they turn into an infestation.

by Anonymousreply 12710/15/2013

I thought silverfish were usually found in old books and old magazines?

I never heard they were drawn to water, let alone urine.

by Anonymousreply 12810/19/2013

Have seen a new, odd bug, at least for me. Dirty gold color, MANY jointed legs,seems to be nothing BUT legs, sort of like a tiny(1") lobster, with no shell. Moves quickly, then stands motionless, which is when I move in for the kill......

by Anonymousreply 12910/19/2013

Roaches! It's what's for dinner!

by Anonymousreply 13010/12/2014

by Anonymousreply 13110/12/2014

I'm run into all sorts of creepy Crawleys in my home. In my experience, the common vermin may run around in the basement, but the truly exotic ones flaunt themselves in the upper reaches of one's very own sanctuary.

by Anonymousreply 13210/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!