Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stedman and Oprah

I'm not one of the people who reflexively assumes that Oprah is a lesbian. But she does seem to be a cold fish toward Stedman -- even as she lavishes praise and patronage upon Gayle.

This does not mean there is something sexual between the Gail and Oprah. And, in fact, to me that is less interesting question. I'm more interested in what's kept Oprah and Stedman going as an item for all of this time.

Do you think it's a real relationship?

Also, does anyone else think he continues to get hotter and hotter as he ages?

by Anonymousreply 4910/18/2013

It's such a sham relationship but nobody dares question the big O about it... people just seem to accept that they are some kind of a couple. Gayle is just a "best friend", yeah right...

by Anonymousreply 107/05/2011

Their relationship reminds me of SJP and Matthew Broderick except without kids. Whenever they are together in photos, both seem like they'd rather be elsewhere. That doesn't say that behind closed doors it is different, but it would be nice to see some sign of affection. Even the most rigid people touch each other occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 207/05/2011

Have you watched Behind the Scenes OP? When Stedman was in Oprah's dressing room Oprah stopped being a raging bitch to Gayle for a moment. He has a very strong presence even though he doesnt say much.

Oprah definitely benefits from having someone so laid back in her life. We are accustomed to seeing female celebrities hanging off of a man. Oprah is in a class by herself. The woman is an institution and that's all we've known her as. Stedman is in the traditional role of a woman in that relationship.

by Anonymousreply 307/05/2011

I think it's completely implausible that a woman who was abused as a child and recklessly promiscuous as a young adult, somehow found "true love" and has been able to maintain that relationship for 25 years. Not normal, especially for someone with so many issues.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 407/05/2011

Do you have a clinical background, R4?

by Anonymousreply 507/05/2011

saw a behind the scenes show of the final season. She and gayle argue like people in a long term romantic relationship, not like best friends. Few boundaries, tons of control issues. No doubt in my mind they are an item and steadman is smokescreen.

by Anonymousreply 607/05/2011

R4, Oprah's had so many therapists at her disposal via her TV show that her issues could have been resolved well enough to maintain a relationship.

by Anonymousreply 707/05/2011

They seem like companions who see each other occasionally but lead VERY separate lives. I guess both benefit from the relationship in some capacity, but I certainly don't think they are in a 'normal' romantic relationship and I certainly don't think they have sex, if they ever did.

Oprah is way more emotionally invested in Gayle than she is in Stedman. Gayle and Oprah seem to have almost daily contact and Stedman is off in his little world.

by Anonymousreply 807/05/2011

Why oh why would Oprah be a lesbian and hide it??? She vomits her relationship with Gayle all over her show. I mean what would be the point, since you all seem to know her personally, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 907/05/2011

Oprah is not a lesbian. She is asexual due to her Issues. Steadman is a stand-in to save face.

by Anonymousreply 1007/06/2011

I had several work-related meetings with Stedman in the 1990s. He is gay. It's not just obvious. It's a fact.

He was almost outed when he got hit with a sexual harassment suit. Before it broke, they settled for a fortune. A FORTUNE.

Since then he has settled several others.

And yes, Oprah is gay. But she cannot come out. If she did, she would have to admit she'd been lying for her entire career. Not something she wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 1107/06/2011

My (male) partner was propositioned by Stedman a number of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1207/06/2011

Steadman shows up in public with Oprah about twice a year. The rest is all Gayle. Do you think someone who does so many shows about personal happiness would not be spending her time with the person who makes her happy?

by Anonymousreply 1307/06/2011

Didn't Stedman get spotted in a Boystown bar in Chicago during the 90s? I remember there was a big stink about it and he said that "He just went in for a drink and didn't know it was a gay establishment".

by Anonymousreply 1407/06/2011

Oprah is a closeted Lesbian and Scientology supporter.

by Anonymousreply 1507/06/2011

Oprah had no other destiny but to be a lesbian. She was molested in her formidable years, a fate which almost guarantees that a women will seek another woman for emotional comfort, sex is secondary. Hence, the debate of sexuality comes up again.

by Anonymousreply 1607/06/2011

"He was almost outed when he got hit with a sexual harassment suit. Before it broke, they settled for a fortune. A FORTUNE"%0D %0D %0D %0D Details, please. When did this happen?

by Anonymousreply 1707/06/2011

No she wouldn't R11. She could say that it finally dawned on her and because of her earlier issues, she'd never realized it before. A lot of women have had this happen as older adults. And she could do it very quietly because she's not on the air anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1807/07/2011

I've heard a lot about Oprah...that she is a raging bitch and control freak but I've never heard personal dish about her being a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 1907/07/2011

A long, long time ago before very many white people watched Oprah, she used talk about her "Steady" continuously. She practically begged him to marry her daily and stated that she would never a ring on her finger unless it was THE ring.

This all climaxed when Oprah had Susan Lucci on as a guest. Susan asked Steadman on national t.v. when was he going to make a honest woman out of Oprah. She and Oprah exchanged this conspiratorial glance that implied this was planned. Steadman replied that he refused to be rushed into marriage. He added that Oprah knew how he feel about her and they would get married when the time was right. Oprah looked like she had been kicked in the gut but followed through with the show. Susan looked mortified.

My point? I believe Oprah vowed to never marry Steadman and probably likes that she is in control of their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 2007/07/2011

I don't think Oprah is sexually active.

by Anonymousreply 2107/07/2011

From L Chat:

[quote] 1) Oprah: Duh. This is the Chi-town gos' I got from a former Harpo employee. Years ago the big O was considering coming out. She had her PR people put out feelers - mall surveys in middle America - with a fake survey, something like "How would you feel if a well-loved news anchor or politician (something other than a talk show host, to throw off the scent) came out of the closet after years of being "straight" in the public eye?" The response was an overwhelming "BETRAYED" from all the straighties in Straightville, USA. So, she scrapped the idea and crawled back into the closet with Gayle. Different gos' from a Chicago gossip columnist (so please grab a grain of salt) who wanted to spill but couldn't do it in print 'cuz the Almighty O is so powerful there: O fired an employee once after she caught O and Gayle in a tender embrace in a bedroom at O's house. This was many years ago, it was a party for Harpo employees, at O's house. She had forbidden guests from going upstairs, but the employee was looking for a free bathroom and broke the numbah one rule. She wandered upstairs, opening doors, looking for a toliet, and behind one of those doors was Oprah sharing an intimate moment with Gayle. Dun dun dun! The woman was fired, but when she threatened to sue Harpo, she got a big old basket of hush-yo-mouth money from our Miss O.

by Anonymousreply 2207/07/2011

I don't believe R22.

by Anonymousreply 2307/08/2011

R11 is full of shit too.

by Anonymousreply 2407/08/2011

I don't believe the bullshit at R22 for a minute. A Harpo employee had the balls to go upstairs in Oprah's condo after being forbidden?

Are we to believe that Oprah's condo only has 2.5 baths or something?

Crock of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2507/08/2011

I believe R11.

by Anonymousreply 2607/08/2011

And what exactly are you r27.

by Anonymousreply 2807/09/2011

I saw a behind the scenes show where Oprah was showing her journal from The Color Purple days to Whoopi. She said how if she dies Gayle has been instructed to get and destroy the journals. I thought that was odd. Why Gayle and not your partner in life Steadman? Gayle is clearly her main relationship in life.

by Anonymousreply 2907/09/2011

R7, it's practically impossible for ANYONE to sustain a 25 year marriage or relationship. Oprah has so many issues in her past and she's in show biz on top of it! Oprah & Stedman = unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 3007/09/2011

^ It's hardly impossible to maintain a 25 year marriage or relationship. Lots of people do it.

by Anonymousreply 3107/09/2011

[quote]Oprah is not a lesbian. She is asexual due to her Issues.

Yes, because you can't be a lesbian AND have issues!

by Anonymousreply 3207/09/2011

In the 1980s my best friend also met with Stedman for a business-related meeting. Said she couldn't believe how gay he came across. To quote a DL classic, "When he opened his mouth a purse fell out." I knew then Sted, Gayle, and Ope were all gay.

by Anonymousreply 3307/09/2011

Gay gay gay....

by Anonymousreply 3407/09/2011

R29 Many famous gay people have instructed people around them to destroy their writings upon their deaths.%0D %0D Oprah refused to talk about the rumors of her lesbianism for years then this past year she couldn't stop saying she is not a lesbian. Why? I've been trying to figure out why. Maybe she has settled on identifying as bisexual and that means she can deny being gay.

by Anonymousreply 3507/09/2011

may point r35 was why she always has Gayle be her surrogate not her "partner" in life Steadman

by Anonymousreply 3607/09/2011

I remember years ago some tabloid had photos of Steadman participating in a bikini brief fashion show (he looked pretty hot) The photos were the most gay down lowy things this side of Al Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 3707/09/2011

Have you noticed that Oprah never seems to cover the topic of bisexuality head on? Sure she does pro-gay shows, late-in-life lesbians, gay people married to one another, sexual "fluidity", etc.

But, she's never covered the fact that just because you're with a guy or attracted to them doesn't necessarily make you straight. Even Donohue did a show specifically on bisexuality back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 3807/09/2011

Let's face it- would she be who she is today id she came out as a lesbian 20 or 30 years ago?%0D %0D I hate when she has gay people on her show and affects her "perplexed" look. She just can't understand the concept, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 3907/09/2011

Okay, r31, name a famous couple who have been together for 25 years where they're both straight.

by Anonymousreply 4007/09/2011

Oprah trust Gayle and only Gayle. She is Oprah's primary relationship but they are not fucking.

by Anonymousreply 4107/09/2011

On the Behind the scenes show Oprah does seem to hate everyone except Gayle and that blonde Sherri woman who is the executive producer.

by Anonymousreply 4207/09/2011

R39 Yea, I've noticed the same thing when she does gay themed shows and plays dumb. How does she not know anything about gays when her hairdresser for 25 years is a GAY MAN? Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 4307/10/2011

Oprah and Gayle out together in coordinating outfits.

Oh yeah, and Stedman was there too.

by Anonymousreply 4407/10/2011

Maybe they are into 3-ways?

by Anonymousreply 4507/10/2011

"....and that blonde Sherri woman who is the executive producer."%0D %0D I don't usually say negative things about a person's looks, but her long blond hair is too long and doesn't match the coloring of her face. I know that she's a 'behind the scenes' person, but her show is the most famous makeover show of all time.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4607/10/2011

Tilda Swinton reportedly has a female partner and a male partner and has said she'll not give up either. Can't remember where I heard that, so I don't have a link.

It's possible that Oprah, Gayle and Stedman are all bisexual, so technically, they are not gay.

by Anonymousreply 4707/10/2011

I thought Tilda had two husbands.

by Anonymousreply 4807/10/2011

I work with a guy who was one of her sound men in Chicago on her old show. He told me that she is exactly the same person when the cameras are off as when she is doing the show. He said there is no drama, no diva etc.

by Anonymousreply 4910/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!