Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

London feels over

I'm visiting here for the first time in 5 years and it just doesn't feel the same. I guess it is the economy but it just isn't the same anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16508/11/2013

Oh lord, here we go with the weekly Brit bashing thread.

Ok, OP, what exactly is the problem? Didn't you get laid last night? Are you now too old to go out dancing? Try and be specific.

by Anonymousreply 107/03/2011

London feels over because it is. I moved to London at 22 in 03 and it was so cool, but the media hijaked youth culture in a way utterly destroyed it. It turned into a sorta bustard child of MTV%E2%80%99s The Hills and Oasis. Horrible fake indie twats stoned outta their head trying so hard to be Pete Doherty with their uber high street chic bitchy vain chicks in tow.

So empty and fake and so uncool. London seems just so tryhard and dumb right now. Well I mean the kids that populate it.

by Anonymousreply 207/03/2011

Where did you move to after London, R2?

by Anonymousreply 307/03/2011

The *really* good fun died in London with Britpop Cool Britannia around '97 or '98, Ever since, London has seemed like an overpopulated mess obsessed with booze and its own vapidity. The economic woes have tkaen them down a peg, but there's about 12 dozen pegs to go.

by Anonymousreply 407/03/2011

I went to Williamsburg and it was like a million times worse, because there was no media hijack, it was naturally up it own hipster arse, then Portland, Oregon which is mind-blowingly brilliant if your a lesbian with hair legs and a crew-cut .

by Anonymousreply 507/03/2011

Everyone is inside, kneeling before their Pippa altars. Comeback when she's fat and irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 607/03/2011

You got old, OP.

by Anonymousreply 707/03/2011

But, they have a VERY big and attractive circuit scene with lots of gorgeous men! And, OP, do you know North Morgan (London Preppy)?

by Anonymousreply 807/03/2011

London is awash with unadmitted alcoholics. It's not cool and it never was. It's backwards and self-deluded. %0D %0D But they're very good with the technical aspects of video production there. You must give them that.%0D %0D If you want a European capital that is the capital of something, you have to cross the Channel.

by Anonymousreply 907/03/2011

There's no such thing as a city being "over." Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2011

If you're bored with London, you're bored with life.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2011

THE ONLY WAY IS ESSEX typifies the trashy youth now in London. It's the celebrity culture extended to nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2011

Same as what, OP? What is it you're missing?

by Anonymousreply 1307/03/2011

OP=Rafael Nadal

by Anonymousreply 1407/03/2011

Maybe you've changed too, OP.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1507/03/2011

Did Radiohead's OK Computer kill London? R4

by Anonymousreply 1607/03/2011

You get older and you get bored with clubs. Imagine what your life would look like if that didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 1707/03/2011

[quote]London feels over because it is. I moved to London at 22 in 03 and it was so cool, but the media hijaked youth culture in a way utterly destroyed it. %0D %0D R2 is now 31-years-old and pining over the loss of "youth culture." %0D %0D I love London, but it has its ebb and flow on many fronts just as other major cities do. Londoners are the most whinge-prone of people; the Golden Moment of a thing (art, bars, food, music, youth culture, whatever) is always in the past, whether near or distant. Especially horrifying to a Londoner is getting caught out liking something too late in the game -- again, building on some glorius past (that never quite was), "Too bad you missed it." If there's a somewhat pervasive fault, it's the constant, neurotic chasing after trendiness to the exclusion of all else -- a fear of being boring that is, in itself, a bit boring.%0D %0D But London is not long in a broad ebb, and even "boring" times and "boring" cities have their virtues, though too many Londoners will not see them. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1807/03/2011

OP, PLEASE take pics of any Brits' on the streets teeth and post them. I once and for all want to prove something to my friend.%0D %0D TIA!!

by Anonymousreply 1907/03/2011

OP was grudgingly allowed into Boombox, but was turned away from Ponystep.

by Anonymousreply 2007/03/2011

%0D Actually what was getting me down was all my friends here complaining about jobs and the economy. I guess it is the same in the US. (plus jetlag)Shouldn't have singled London out....everywhere is over I guess. (for now)

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2011

I'm guessing London is suffering the same fate as New York, in that it's so expensive to live there that all the really cool, creative people have been forced to move out and only billionaires, trust fund kiddies and hardcore urban parasites are left.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2011

R22 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2011

I agree, r22 nailed it.

People forget the real driving-force behind 'Cool Britannia' were the artists and groups that lived on the dole or on shit pay in Manchester, Sheffield, and London in the late 80s/early 90s. It was their creative output in the mid/late 1990s (eg. the YBAs) that made London and Britain 'cool'.

Now London is overpriced, too multicultural, and has lost its British identity.

The government plan to relaunch the Cool Britannia image for the Olympics, which I find quite pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2011

Yes, London is finally over.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2011

Oh, that London. It's so done. I'm heading to Paris.

by Anonymousreply 2607/03/2011

Ugh. London. Even John Lennon is living in the States now.

by Anonymousreply 2707/03/2011

Londinium is so over now that the Romans have pulled back. I smell massacres in the air. Hie to Byzantium!

by Anonymousreply 2807/03/2011

Well, it's obvious London is over and will never get over THIS disaster. Anyone for Venice?

by Anonymousreply 2907/03/2011

We thought London was over in 1961...

by Anonymousreply 3007/03/2011

R24, I agree, London is overpriced, but 'too multicultural' is a stupid, nasty thing to say. It is no more multicultural than in the 90s, with the exception of a few more people from eastern Europe. What makes London great is its immigrants and British 'outsiders' who didn't really fit in where they grew up, and no amount of immigrants will make it any less 'British', unless you're a bit racist. The creative types have not left London , they're just moving to Peckham or Hackney Wick. Or New York.

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2011

[quote]It is no more multicultural than in the 90s, with the exception of a few more people from eastern Europe%0D %0D I think there are at least a million new arrivals since then, probably more. Not that it makes the place feel more 'multicultural'. What 'culture' have these people brought here?%0D %0D & let's not over-rate the 'groovy 90s' and the ghastly Galagher brothers, their sour faces and their derivitive music.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3207/03/2011

Fuck Oasis. It was all Blur and shoegazer chic.

by Anonymousreply 3307/03/2011

OP, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about London. I first went to London in 2003 as well and have spent lots of time there over the years. When I went back to visit last year, it was not the same city. It's way too overcrowded now by Third Worlders (waits for the "you're racist" remarks) and there's nothing British about Britain anymore.%0D %0D And I know this is about London, but I want to comment on England in general: One thing that I loved about England were the British TV shows and British music, but when I went back last year, almost everything on TV or the radio is the same shit that we hear in America. It's like they're trying to hard to be like Americans. %0D %0D London sucks now.

by Anonymousreply 3407/03/2011

But don't those Auslanders/Thirdwolders try hard to become Brits? is there zero assimilation there?

by Anonymousreply 3507/03/2011

What do you all London queens think of London Preppy/North Morgan? Got any gossip on him?

by Anonymousreply 3607/04/2011

R37, can anything be done about the situation you described or is it going to get worse? Will the English get fed up and try to change things?

by Anonymousreply 3807/04/2011

OP, please try to take some pics of some on the street Brits' smiles... please?

by Anonymousreply 3907/04/2011

I've lived in London all my life (born in the 80s) and I have to agree with the comment about it getting more crowded. I work in the West End, which has always been crowded and a big tourist hotspot, but it does seem to be getting worse and worse. There are many parts which are still lovely, of course, but central London is just impossible now.

by Anonymousreply 4007/04/2011

R37 - Rather than wasting time on the DL, may I suggest your time would be better spent contributing to threads on the websites of The Daily Mail or The Telegraph? Both of them offer a warm welcome to paranoid racists such as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4107/04/2011

And this song succinctly explains what's currently wrong with London.

by Anonymousreply 4207/04/2011

At last it's not New York which has been over since about 1992.

by Anonymousreply 4307/04/2011

Where [italic]is[/italic] the place to be? Quick tell me I gotta run.

by Anonymousreply 4407/04/2011

r31, it's not 'nasty' to say London is too multicultural. It's simply a fact. London has lost its 'British'ness'. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on one's personal perspective.

The number of foreigners living in London certainly has increased since the 1990s, and Eastern Europeans do not settle in London, but the provinces (because like everyone else, they find London too expensive).

by Anonymousreply 4507/04/2011

The official loss of British identity will lead to the end of the British Royal Family. What's the point in propping up an institution that can no longer rally together over a commonality: their rich history?

by Anonymousreply 4607/04/2011

What London needs is another blitz.

Periodically blow up buildings, claim it is the work if Al Queda, and watch the tourists come swarming in, making pilgrimages and urging Brits to keep calm and carry on.

by Anonymousreply 4707/04/2011

[quote] their rich history?

Well that's exactly why Canada keeps a monarch.

by Anonymousreply 4807/04/2011

NYC is also too crowded. I lived in Yorkville for decades and worked in midtown. When I got off the subway on my way home from work, I felt like I was practically in the countryside, because if re difference in numbers of people on the streets. Yorkville was mostly 5 and 6 story classic tenement buildings, built for the German and Irish working class. Tenement, BTW, does not mean "poverty." It is a certain style of building.

I would guess more than half if the tenements have been torn down in the last 20 years and replaced by luxe high-rises, adding so many mire thousands of people to the streets. It's only going to get worse.

In the olden days, the super rich had small numbers of children and rarely got divorced (though the men had plenty of mistresses), because it simply "wasn't done.". Now the super rich serially marry, and each wife produces as many children as possible, so they can be assured of child support when their husbands divorce them.

by Anonymousreply 4907/04/2011

I'm sorry I failed you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2011

"Now London is... too multicultural,"

How awful!

Did you here that, people of different cultures? Back to where you came from!

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2011

Every place feels over when the economy is bad.

by Anonymousreply 5307/04/2011

I'm going in August from Wed. - Sun. - any suggestions on where to go at night?

I'll be doing XXL on Sat.

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 5407/04/2011

I used to think the position that "London has become an Arab/Muslim city" was exaggerated, but considering how every fucking autocrat in the Mideast has a home there....

by Anonymousreply 5507/04/2011

To all those on this thread who claim that London has been robbed of its Britishness by immigration, I would like you to define what exactly you mean by 'Britishness'? It's an abstract notion at best, usually applicable to an imagined sense of (specifically) England that only exists in the minds of Daily Mail readers.

I would agree that 'every fucking autocrat in the Mideast has a home' in London, but that's because rich white English men have welcomed the autocrats and their wealth with open arms, all the while the poor population of London have been fucked over. The fact that London is a now a city for the wealthy is hardly the fault of its immigrant population.

by Anonymousreply 5607/04/2011

Britain has lost its 'Britishness' when you don't hear British accents.

by Anonymousreply 5707/04/2011

R47 = Rudi Giuliani

by Anonymousreply 5807/04/2011

Maybe it's just you, OP. Maybe you have finally realized just how boring and insignificant you are, and perhaps no one would miss you if you were to ... check out?

by Anonymousreply 6007/04/2011

[all posts by tedious troll]

by Anonymousreply 6107/04/2011

all the Brits have moved to Dubai - they have given London to the Arabs in return for a visa and 12 months of sun

by Anonymousreply 6207/04/2011

NO! R40 is clearly a London queen and I want to hear what he has to say about London Preppy/North Morgan! Also if he's got any gossip on him.

by Anonymousreply 6307/04/2011

I agree with r61, r59. You've long ago crossed the line from "charmingly obsessed" to "creepily stalking." Knock it off.

by Anonymousreply 6407/04/2011

R40, I still want to hear from you!

by Anonymousreply 6507/04/2011

Creepy London Preppy/North Morgan Stalker, you've published three requests to r40 in the space of exactly thirty minutes--do you think he somehow missed you the first two times?

Take a Ritalin pill.

by Anonymousreply 6607/04/2011

[quote]do you think he somehow missed you the first two times?%0D %0D %0D Yes! But, thanks for the concern.

by Anonymousreply 6707/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 6807/04/2011

I think when also a big fall in London was a lot of great young bands never came here. B/C of the net and getting their music out over the web rather than plug in shitty dive and shitty London dive. They stayed in Bristol, Up North, Glasgow, Brighton and as a result only the skinny jean fakers came to London, as r2 typed, looking for fame via the NME cool list.

At that point London lost it's soul and authenticity. A lot of youg people moved out to Bristol, Bath or Brighton and never came back.

by Anonymousreply 7007/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 7107/04/2011

R40 is just....[italic] WOW!! [/italic]%0D %0D I can only imagine what his moth-... er, excuse me, ....MUM'S neighbors have to deal with her rattling around down there in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 7207/04/2011

Well I guess, NY is a same in a way r71. Patti Smith declared NY was over, for the same reason. It became very clannish and expensive, As a result young talent artists of all kinds were locked out. That is how these cities have grown and become important cultural cities. Once you lock the slow yet constant invasion of young talent from outside, they it slowly beings to crumble. Most of the artists (bands/writers/poets/painters) that gave London/NY it's name were usually from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 7307/04/2011

R41, Giving the standard liberal rebuke of "you're a racist" doesn't make what I said any less true.

The Muslims for the most part contribute nothing to British culture but whining from the likes of Yvonne Ridley and Soumaya Ghannoushi. Check out one of Ghannoushi's columns in the Guardian sometime. You don't hear Hindus or Buddhists demanding that Europe rewrite its entire history to suit them. Oh, and need I repeat, once they are the majority in London, none of us will be welcome there. Is that your kind of diversity?

R38, I wish I knew. If action isn't taken by moderates now, a far-right backlash is likely to come later.

by Anonymousreply 7407/04/2011

Where do the well-off and young (mid 20s to 30s) London gays live? Name the districts and 'hoods, please.

by Anonymousreply 7507/04/2011

Sorry r59, I don't know who that is.

r72, what the fuck is your problem? Stating that the part of London in which I work has become substantially more crowded within the last few years is hardly an extreme or controversial statement.

by Anonymousreply 7607/04/2011

R74, guess your conception of 'British culture' is the same church-bells-and-cricket bullshit that John Major was trying (unsuccessfully) to peddle a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7707/04/2011

I'm in Hells Kitchen Manhattan and we have been encircled by enormous high-rises. The area is constantly congested. I recall when it was much less densely populated. Zoning/building decisions really affect the quality of life in urban neighborhoods.

Loved the Dickheads video and want to send to younger friends, but they might be offended!

by Anonymousreply 7807/04/2011

R77, it would be great if you would can it with the straw men. I'll ask you some questions. What do you believe the South Asian Muslim community contributes to Britain, besides food? What about their extreme homophobia?

by Anonymousreply 7907/04/2011

Blimey, R52, you're mental!

by Anonymousreply 8007/04/2011

I haven't read through all 4 pages, but what I will tell you OP, is that London IS OVER, and has been for some time! Britain became Americanized, large in part, thanks to Labour. The youth is 3 times dumber than the average American child. I have met kids who can barely tell left from right. It's frightening. The government began supplementing the dregs of society, and have bent over backwards for them. Now, those people, instead of bettering themselves, are getting paid to behaved and live the same way they were before, and are now running the show. The culture is in the gutter. There's no coming back. The average Brit could tell you what happened on "Friends", or "24", but couldn't for the life of them tell you who the Prime Minister is. London elected a television presenter mayor, one who equated homosexuality with bestiality. The country has swung far Right.

I'm going to say it -- hate me, but London is overrun with immigrants, which includes the crazy Muslims. No one can say anything about it for fear of jail time for hate speech.

The 2012 Olympics are going to be hysterical. Their opening act is going to be the Spice Girls! I'm sure Girls Aloud will put in an appearance too. lol.

The amount of money they spent on that ghetto 2012 logo, is a travesty!

by Anonymousreply 8107/04/2011

R77, you know as well as I do that the vast majority of British Muslims are hard-working, decent, respectable people.

In the early 1960s thousands of trained medical doctors from South Asia (many Muslim) came by request to bolster the National Health Service. They've pretty much been the backbone of the NHS ever since.

And personally I doubt the average Muslim is any more homophobic than the average Christian.

by Anonymousreply 8207/04/2011

R81, you're complaining about Britain becoming 'far Right' while blaming 'crazy Muslims'?

Deranged.

by Anonymousreply 8307/04/2011

London was over 10 years ago when it morphed into NY II. London of the 80s was this great place yo live that seemed like a patchwork of Agatha Christie towns sown together by a spotty bus service, but the very things that seemed quaint is what led you to entertain friends and find interesting private bars for when the pub closed. And it was interesting when the pubs would close at 3 PM for no discernible reason other than the law was still on the books. We only had 4 TV channels, the TV would shut down at 1 am after the nightly televised darts, and no stores would be open on sunday because the mantra was "keep sunday special"

I was aghast and heartbroken when I went in 2001 to check on my old gang and discovered horrible modernity.

by Anonymousreply 8407/04/2011

Exactly, r82. My best friend is a south Asian Muslim, and he and his family could not be further from that stereotype. He's a former hospital doctor (a specialist in tropical medicine) who now runs a large charitable/educational establishment. The whole family are perfectly gay friendly and welcoming to people of other religions and are not especially religious. I didn't even know he was Muslim for months. In other words an ordinary Brit like anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 8507/04/2011

Where do the young rich gays live in London?

by Anonymousreply 8607/04/2011

MY GOD!! %0D %0D R81 was RIGHT!!

by Anonymousreply 8707/04/2011

With their sisters, in an apartment paid for by an air mattress and her dour looking husband.

by Anonymousreply 8807/04/2011

[quote]In the early 1960s thousands of trained medical doctors from South Asia (many Muslim) came by request to bolster the National Health Service. They've pretty much been the backbone of the NHS ever since.

I've noticed a generational difference in most immigrants coming to First World Nations. The older ones, who came before the 70s, made a good show and were a delight. Those who came later in the 80s and since, don't seem so amiable.

Remember it was two recent HNS import MDs who tried to blow up the Glasgow Airport with a car bomb...

by Anonymousreply 8907/04/2011

London has changed alot recently .There is now the right to work anywhere across Europe and huge numbers of people came to the UK, they have no idea how many but a population of 70 million would not surprise me now. So London is over crowded. Also there has been huge amounts of African and Asian immigration.%0D %0D Couple that with the white British flight out of London which nobody talks about and London is a different place to what it was 10 years ago and I am not sure it is going to work out well. %0D

by Anonymousreply 9007/04/2011

r87, that Olympics logo was once described to me as looking like Lisa Simpson giving a blowjob, and now I can't see anything else when I look at it.

by Anonymousreply 9107/04/2011

Having read through more fuck-witted responses than I even expected in this thread, I think R9 takes the biscuit: apparently London is not cool "and it never was".%0D %0D R9 obviously knows about as much about London as he does about cultural history in the years before he was born (granted we're probably only talking 5-10 years though).

by Anonymousreply 9207/04/2011

I live in Hackney and work in Tower Hamlets. To me the multiculturalism is one of the things that makes this place magic. If you want to live in an all-white, all-Christian enclave then sorry, London isn't for you.

by Anonymousreply 9307/04/2011

R93- So what part of the U.K. do you recommend if that is one's preference?

by Anonymousreply 9407/04/2011

what clubs do gay men go to on friday nights, ya'll?

by Anonymousreply 9507/04/2011

R94, the Vatican

by Anonymousreply 9607/04/2011

1947, R94.

by Anonymousreply 9707/04/2011

R94, perhaps rural Wales. That's probably where I'll end up. Bath is overwhelmingly native British.

by Anonymousreply 9807/04/2011

The majority of the population wants to move to LA, NYC, or Florida in the US. It's quite sad. They don't even want to live in the UK anymore.

If NYC could end its new found homogeneity, it could become what London was all those years ago. London always played second fiddle to NYC, but at least you had a choice between the two if you were part of the arty farty trendy crowd. If I had to choose between the two today, no question: NYC. London is just a cess pool. The rest of Britain, the history and culture is gone. It's completely forgotten. You have an entire generation of morons stinking up the place, and even the older generation doesn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 9907/04/2011

[quote]The majority of the population wants to move to LA, NYC, or Florida in the US. It's quite sad. They don't even want to live in the UK anymore.

Ah, so Wills and Kate are on a working holiday...scoping out real estate for when he abdicates and leaves Henry holding the bag!

by Anonymousreply 10007/04/2011

[quote] London always played second fiddle to NYC,%0D %0D Not true at all. How far does your knowledge of history go back, 1982?

by Anonymousreply 10107/04/2011

Los Angeles is THE city of the 21st century for culture, art and fashion. No other city comes close.

by Anonymousreply 10307/05/2011

You keep on believing that, Ridge Forrester/R103.

by Anonymousreply 10407/05/2011

What's London's answer to NYC's Manhattan? Basically any gay district that caters to London's A+ circuit / professional queens.

by Anonymousreply 10507/05/2011

I've lived in London for 30 years, and I couldn't honestly say if it is a better or worse place than it was in the 80s, 90s or 00s. All I know about the place is that if I'm in a good mood, London is a wonderful, vibrant place to live: if I'm in a bad mood, it is a soul-sucking hellhole. I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same wherever I lived

London's been here for over 1000 years exactly because of the immigration the racist twats on here are decrying. All big cities have immigration. It's what keeps them big, and the churn of humanity is what keeps them vibrant. 'Cool' and 'hip' are highly subjective (viewed objectively they tend towards 'wanker'), and only happen with that churn (usually onthe entry point of the observer). 'Over' only happens when the observer has stayed in one place for a while, and isn't dynamic enough to change.

by Anonymousreply 10607/05/2011

yawn. next.

by Anonymousreply 10707/05/2011

[quote]I really really loathe the way Indians, Arabs, Africans and Chinese are changing the face of Europe. I want the Europe I grew up with!!!

Where did you grow up? Josef Fritzl's basement?

by Anonymousreply 10807/05/2011

[quote]That London has always had immigrants isn't true. True. Up until the Iron Age (700BC-43AD) the population was probably fairly indigenous.

by Anonymousreply 11007/05/2011

I went to that ghastly Westfield place yesterday.%0D %0D Hell on earth.%0D %0D I must have spoken to 16 people in the various shops and cafes. Only one was English. Most barely spoke the language or had any idea of their stock...and why so many hoardes of (mostly third world) people at three in the afternoon? It was hot & stuffy...the English really haven't mastered air con, have they?%0D %0D London in summer is horrendous and it seems to go on for about 6 months now. If it doesn't rain the pavements get so dirty. They used to wash the streets, all the time. They never wash them now.

by Anonymousreply 11107/05/2011

[quote]They used to wash the streets, all the time%0D %0D %0D Here's the proof.

by Anonymousreply 11307/05/2011

[quote]That London has always had immigrants isn't true.

Fuck, you're really old if you remember the pre-Roman period. London has always been full of immigrants. My ancestors in 1900 grew up living next to Russian Jews, Arabs, Chinese, Japanese, black Africans. Even in Elizabethan times it's estimated 20-35% of Londoners were recent immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 11407/05/2011

I love the mix in London. I love my Turkish neighbourhood. People are friendly to outsiders (non-Turks like myself) and it feels buzzy.

by Anonymousreply 11507/05/2011

Wow, judging by this thread Brits are more racist than just about anybody. Keep dreaming of those halcyon days that never were, assholes. I hope a paki gets your job.

by Anonymousreply 11707/05/2011

R116, there are no more immigrants in London percentage wise than there have been at other periods in history. In fact at certain periods in history the percentage was far higher.

by Anonymousreply 11807/05/2011

Currently 20% of Londoners are first generation immigrants. the same as in Roman times, 1068, the Elizabethan era and many other periods of history.

by Anonymousreply 11907/05/2011

r118, great, but FFS that's not the point I'm making!!

by Anonymousreply 12007/05/2011

Britpop and R'n'B ruined London.

by Anonymousreply 12107/05/2011

London erects statue of Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 12207/05/2011

R117, I don't think the bulk of racist comments are coming from Londoners, but Americans with a Miss Marple view of London. Londoners are not against immagration or immigrants as they are what makes the place what it is.

by Anonymousreply 12307/05/2011

I agree with R123 - the racist comments seem to be coming from Americans (or Canadians?). Londoners don't really see things that way re. population mixes. Outside London, sure.

by Anonymousreply 12607/05/2011

So what?

Immigration is one of the main things that makes London great. You might dislike or even fear other races and cultures, but many of us find it exciting and invigorating to live in such a diverse and evolving city.

by Anonymousreply 12707/05/2011

You mean most Daily Mail readers, R128.

by Anonymousreply 12907/05/2011

[quote]but many of us find it exciting and invigorating to live in such a diverse and evolving city.%0D %0D Diverse and evolving, where do you get this stuff and how old are you? %0D %0D I guess if you're under 25 you can't see what has been lost. Ignorance can be bliss.

by Anonymousreply 13007/05/2011

R130, what exactly are you mourning the loss of?

by Anonymousreply 13107/05/2011

R130- European Culture.

by Anonymousreply 13207/05/2011

Europe is a continent not a country, R132, and doesn't have a 'culture', it has many.

by Anonymousreply 13307/05/2011

Well then, Africa and Asia do not have a common culture, either. I'm sorry, but race is a factor.

by Anonymousreply 13407/05/2011

This thread seems to be populated by mildly racist people who have a vision of London that never actually existed, disappointed by the lack of flying nannies and upset by anyone who isn't a Lord or doesn't use the term 'Guv'nor'.

by Anonymousreply 13507/05/2011

where do the rich, hot and young gays live in London!?!?

by Anonymousreply 13607/05/2011

[quote] "where do the rich, hot and young gays live in London!?!?"%0D %0D Simon Cowell's.

by Anonymousreply 13707/05/2011

I actually have no idea 136. I'm going to go with Shoreditch or Kennington. Ten years ago I'd have said Soho but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Based on previous threads it seems most of DL's London based contributors have at one time or another lived in Mornington Crescent. It's certainly not a posh area, though.

And for all the moaning, racist shits on this thread - London has 5 airports. Why don't you pick one and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 13807/05/2011

Wooot, I fucking love you, R138. More insightful posters like R138 to answer my question at R136, please!

by Anonymousreply 13907/05/2011

[quote]More insightful posters like R138 to answer my question %0D %0D Don't be so impressed. He knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 14007/05/2011

"It's the celebrity culture extended to nobodies."

This seems to be happening everywhere, look how 'reality TV' has changed the face of American TV.

I gather that's happening all over the world. We now must endure a bunch of talent free morons who actually believe that are famous for doing absolutely nothing.

I lived in Richmond for about 2 years in the late 1970s. There was a vibrant music and fashion scene in London and other parts of the UK back then.

I'm an American, I attended school in Richmond, unfortunately it was mostly Americans, so the only time we interacted with 'the locals' was when we went into London. People on a whole were pleasant.

The only minority group I noticed back then were Pakistanis and Indians, many ran newsstands and small shops.

by Anonymousreply 14207/05/2011

[quote] Don't be so impressed. He knows nothing.

I made it quite clear I have no idea where young, rich gays live. I'm not rich and I don't know anyone who is. Rather than being such an arsehole why don't you answer the question?

by Anonymousreply 14407/05/2011

[quote]I'm not rich and I don't know anyone who is.%0D %0D Somehow I knew this already.

by Anonymousreply 14507/05/2011

Yeah, but R142, your celebrity culture making stars out of reality TV nobodies is far worse than ours in the US.

Not one participant in 12 seasons of our BIG BROTHER has become a media darling, for instance, whereas you've had numerous "stars" out of BB, including the late, hideous Jade Goody.

by Anonymousreply 14607/05/2011

When Lilibet kicks the bucket, they'll be bowing and curtsying to Sheikh Charles and Shaykhah Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 14707/05/2011

[quote]for instance, whereas you've had numerous "stars" out of BB,%0D %0D But only the real cream of the crop.

by Anonymousreply 14807/05/2011

The problem isn't immigration.%0D %0D As stated upthread, the problem is the fact that the lower classes are subsidized so well that work and education make no sense for them. %0D %0D Most crime in London, statistically, is done by the native born underclass. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 14907/05/2011

R149 Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 15007/06/2011

what are the popular clubs!??!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 15107/06/2011

Oh, please. The 'MUSLIMS AND REALITY TV ARE TAKING OVER!! Chicken Little is obviously the same infamous anti-Brit troll (who's been busted in the past claiming to be an American) who's spent the past two years starting endless bizarre threads claiming that Brits have to carry mandatory ID cards, widespread governmental book banning because one publisher chose not to publish some tacky celeb biog here, that British people are utterly obsessed with Friends, Joan Rivers and The A Team, and all kinds of other stupid crap that's unrecognisable to anyone actually from Britain.

by Anonymousreply 15307/06/2011

I agree - London isn't really cool anymore. It's become too Americanized and they seem to have no culture of their own anymore. Turn on one of their radio stations and you'll hear mostly American artists. Go into their clothing stores and you'll see mostly American brands. All they do is copy Americans now.

I used to love it, but there's really no reason to visit anymore if it's the same shit as over here now.

by Anonymousreply 15403/03/2013

[quote]People forget the real driving-force behind 'Cool Britannia' were the artists and groups that lived on the dole or on shit pay in Manchester, Sheffield, and London in the late 80s/early 90s. It was their creative output in the mid/late 1990s (eg. the YBAs) that made London and Britain 'cool'.

YBA was more of a symptom that British culture had metastasized and is now terminal. They were very ambitious and very New York and very fake.

Now they're Royal Academicians.

by Anonymousreply 15503/04/2013

I used to love visiting London, but the last time I was there in early 2008, everything seemed so Americanized and it was kind of depressing (favorite clubs/bars closed, no more smoking in pubs, no more drinking on tube, mostly American music on radio, British people talking with American slang, etc).

Have there been any noticeable changes within the last 5 1/2 years? For better or worse?

by Anonymousreply 15608/10/2013

OP feels fat, old, and tired.

by Anonymousreply 15708/10/2013

You felt the need to bump a two year old thread why?

by Anonymousreply 15808/11/2013

Because, comprehension challenged R158, R156 wanted to know if there had been any changes in London. Why did you feel the need to open a 2 year old thread if it was going to frost your panties?

by Anonymousreply 15908/11/2013

R159 Thank you for explaining the obvious to R158. And you just KNOW that if I had started a new thread, I've would've been bitched about needing to "search first" for an existing thread.

by Anonymousreply 16008/11/2013

I feel the same way about NYC. It feels done to me...I don't see anything coming out of any scene (theatre, nightlife, clubbing, music, art, food) that is interesting or original anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16108/11/2013

I have to agree with you, R161. I also feel that NYC is the city for twenty somethings. At that age you still believe that success and money are around the corner, which is what NYC makes you believe. It's bs, of course.

by Anonymousreply 16208/11/2013

London had its Olympics and is back to being an also-ran.

by Anonymousreply 16308/11/2013

pills people....get them.

by Anonymousreply 16408/11/2013

[quote]I feel the same way about NYC. It feels done to me...I don't see anything coming out of any scene (theatre, nightlife, clubbing, music, art, food) that is interesting or original anymore.

This is the scary thing about a lot of big cities (London, NYC, etc) - it seems that all those things you mentioned are disappearing: Theatre is amateurish now, nightlife seems non-existent, there are more chain restaurants than original ones now, and there are very few creative people now. It's like all cities are becoming strictly business and no longer fun.

by Anonymousreply 16508/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.