Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Character actors we love

I like David Morse, since the 1980s, who seem low key but is always terrifically effective (he was great as the cop who intimidated Hugh Laurie's Gregory House, and as George Washington in [italic]John Adams[/italic]).%0D %0D I like Margo Martindale, ever since playing Hilary Swank's cold mom in [italic]Million Dollar Baby[/italic], and is versaile not just with villain roles (she was warm as an understanding relative even in a drivel of a Hallmark Hall of Fame, [italic]Silver Bells[/italic]).%0D %0D Who are some of other character actors that impress you?

by Anonymousreply 12301/20/2014

David Morse was sexy as shit.

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2011

David Strathairn.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2011

Some years ago, David Morse gave a superb performance Off-Broadway in HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE.

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2011

Joan Cusack%0D %0D Teri Garr%0D %0D Siobhan Fallon%0D %0D Bruce McGill%0D %0D The late great James Whitmore%0D %0D James Cosmo%0D %0D Peter Mullan%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2011

I like both the Davids.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2011

Reta Shaw

by Anonymousreply 606/27/2011

David Morse played George Washington in the Adams miniseries.

Another Morse I like is Robert, who players Cooper on Mad Men.

I like Patricia Clarkson in almost anything.

by Anonymousreply 706/27/2011

Jane Lynch, esp. in Party Down.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2011

I was a huge fan of ST. ELSEWHERE, one of the best series ever, and fell in love with Morse and his character of Jack almost 30 years ago. I'm so pleased to see his career has prospered in the years since the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 906/27/2011

Charles Coburn, especially in [italic]Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1006/27/2011

Jennifer Coolidge. Catherine O'Hara. The late Peter Falk. Fred Ward. Fred Willard. Peter Dinklage. %0D %0D But I'm going to single out Chris Cooper, because of all the times I've failed to recognize him. I can think he's someone I haven't seen before, he can be so different.

by Anonymousreply 1106/27/2011

Loved Catherine O'Hara on Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 1206/27/2011

This has come up every now and then over the years, and my answer never changes... David Strathairn and Chris Cooper. %0D I saw Strathairn on the Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, and when I started following his career I noticed Chris Cooper as they were both in Matewan.

by Anonymousreply 1306/27/2011

David Selby

Warren Oates

Joseph Cotten

by Anonymousreply 1406/27/2011

Much as I like everyone who's been mentioned, nobody's done it better than Charles Durning. So many memorable performances, but if I could only pick one, it would be as Jessica Lange's dad in "Tootsie".

Alan Hale Sr., who resembled Charles Durning as to type, was another great one, along with Frank Morgan. As far as the ladies go, I'd stick with Mary Astor and Joan Blondell.

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2011

Glenn Close

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2011

Frederic Forrest. He really should have gotten an Oscar nod for "Valley Girl."

by Anonymousreply 1706/27/2011

Stanley Tucci.

Susan Tyrrell.

Gary Cole.

Mary Woronov - she can't really act but she's got an incredible presence.

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2011

Peter Stormare = Awsome

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2011

The great underrated Peter Gerety.

Look him up.

by Anonymousreply 2006/27/2011

Scott Glenn

Joe Morton

Oliver Platt

C.C.H. Pounder

James Cromwell

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2011

Definitively Oliver Platt. I loved him in the West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2011

Xander Berkeley. Always thought he was a terrific actor. Always thought he was hot.

Then someone I knew moved to LA and married him.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2011

The late Anne Haney, started late and really needed that one big role, but died before getting it.

by Anonymousreply 2406/28/2011

Mary Kay Adams.

by Anonymousreply 2506/28/2011

YES Xander Berkeley. Anyone ever met him? I'm sure he is a nice, normal guy.....

by Anonymousreply 2606/28/2011

Ed Harris and Sam Shepherd before the booze got to him. I loved him in Days of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 2706/28/2011

Yes, Xander Berkeley is a very nice man. And the woman who married him is also terrific.

When you see character actors so frequently, you can be sure they are decent people. With so many actors to pick from for the secondary roles that do not sell the project, you usually go with people who are pleasant to work with.

by Anonymousreply 2806/28/2011

Robert Wisdom- he was Lt. Bunny Colvin on "The Wire" (Actually, "The Wire" was full to the brim with great character actors)%0D %0D Haruko Sugimura- Japanese actress who appeared in many of Ozu's movies, also some of Kurosawa's... Totally devasting as the "selfish" daughter in "Tokyo Story". I read somewhere recently that she was one the first to bring the Stanislavski method to Japan.%0D %0D Maurice Benichou- he was in "Amelie" and has been in some of Michael Haneke's movies like "Cache" and "Code Unknown". I love the scene in "Code Unknown" when Juliette Binoche is harassed on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 2906/28/2011

[quote]Haruko Sugimura- Japanese actress who appeared in many of Ozu's movies, also some of Kurosawa's... Totally devasting as the "selfish" daughter in "Tokyo Story". I read somewhere recently that she was one the first to bring the Stanislavski method to Japan.

OMG, "Tokyo Story" is one of my favorite movies of all time and that nasty daughter is my favorite character. You just hate that bitch from the moment you see her. My second favorite character is the sweet daughter-in-law whose husband had died in WWII.

Why don't Westerners react more to this movie? I've shown it to friends and few seem to "get" it. By the end of the movie, I'm crying like a baby and everyone else is sitting around dry-eyed and bored.

by Anonymousreply 3006/28/2011

I think one of the great things about her perfomance in "Tokyo Story" is that although the Haruko Sugimura character is a completely mean, selfish person, you also start to see that she is caught in the circumstances in her own life. The way she plays the character is so razor-sharp it makes me just want to laugh out loud.%0D %0D The "good" daughter-in-law, Setsuko Hara, is essentially a death-driven character who has given up on the future. Both characters embody many contradictory elements, just like in real life.%0D %0D BTW, did you know "Tokyo Story" is based on an American movie called "Make Way for Tomorrow" with Beulah Bondi (now there's a great character actress!)?%0D %0D A

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2011

I had never heard that TS was based on an American movie. Nice bit of trivia!

It's very true that the daughter-in-law had just given up on life. Doesn't the father even recommend she remarry and just forget her dead husband, his son? And wasn't it right after his own wife's funeral?

Speaking of the funeral, I love the scene where the kids start fighting over their mother's possessions. The bitchy daughter shows a fleeting moment of sadness and humanity, and then WHAM! she's right back to her old self.

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2011

Ruth McDevitt%0D %0D Marion Lorne%0D %0D Reta Shaw%0D %0D Mary Wickes%0D %0D Natalie Schafer%0D %0D Agnes Moorehead%0D %0D Beulah Bondi%0D %0D Kathleen Freeman%0D %0D Hermione Gingold%0D %0D Estelle Winwood

by Anonymousreply 3306/28/2011

Diane Wiest, Clancy Brown, Amy Madigan, Holland Taylor

by Anonymousreply 3406/28/2011

Got to agree with above posters on David Morse, also David Straithairn, Clancy Brown, and Stanley Tucci. Always love seeing them in any film or TV show. Always good. Allmost always sexy in that older gusy way%0D %0D %0D %0D To that I%E2%80%99ll add Joe Pantoliano. I know I'm going to like whatever I'm watching if he's in it %0D

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2011

Grace Zabriskie%0D %0D Veronica Cartwright%0D %0D Eileen Brennan%0D %0D Madeline Kahn%0D %0D Barbara Baxley%0D %0D Cloris Leachman%0D %0D James Coco%0D %0D Charles Durning%0D %0D Ned Beatty

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2011

Vivian Vance & William Frawley

by Anonymousreply 3706/29/2011

Gemma Jones

by Anonymousreply 3806/29/2011

Best of the best - Beverlee McKinsey and Mary Kay Adams:

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2012

Peter Lorre

Sidney Greenstreet

Eric Blore

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2012

Before I clicked the thread, I thought Margo Martindale and Chris Cooper among the living (Straithairn is a terrific choice, mentioned earlier).

Gladys Cooper, Teresa Wright, Thelma Ritter, Karl Malden would be late greats off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2012

One of my favorite character actors is the rugged, virile, balding Greek-Canadian actor Elias Koteas. I'm sure many of you recall from his supporting roles in films such as Some Kind of Wonderful, Look Who’s Talking Too, Exotica, Fallen, The Thin Red Line and, more recently, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Shutter Island, The Killer Inside Me and Let Me In. He is frequently compared to both a young Robert De Niro and to Christopher Meloni of OZ and Law & Order SVU fame.

In several films, Elias Koteas shows an impressive bulge straining heavily against the fly of his pants. In the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film from 1989, back when Koteas had long flowing hair, he wears thin gray sweatpants and you can see his impressively masculine bulge swinging back and forth in a few scenes, notably when he falls off a swing on the porch. You can trace the juicy outline of his thick, musky, likely uncut endowment through the worn fabric of the sweatpants.

In the 2001 film Novocaine, Koteas has another interesting character role, as the prankster brother of Steve Martin. In his opening scene we see him playing dead, lying on the kitchen floor wearing nothing but tight red briefs and covered in fake blood that is later revealed to be paint. This scene gives wonderful coverage of both Koteas' meaty Greek ass and the fat salami-shaped mound in the front of his briefs.

In David Fincher's 2007 film Zodiac, there is a wonderful moment where Koteas – as a daddyish Vallejo police officer – answers the door to Jake Gyllenhaal in the middle of the night. Koteas strides to the door with a slow, lazy swagger in a pair of thin, beige, 70s polyester pants that reveal the delicious outline of his musky Greek sausage. To me this scene gives a clear sense of weight in space – one can feel the texture and weight of his virile, middle-aged maleness filling the warm fabric of his slacks, forming a protruding mound that begs to be caressed through the material.

Koteas may be at his sexiest in David Cronenberg's 1996 film Crash, where he plays the bisexual, suicidal car crash fetishist Vaughan. He wears tight black jeans and has a delicious swagger, though I can't recall any crotch shots as good as the aforementioned films. There is, however, a very horny scene where he sucks face with James Spader in a car and then they lick each other's car crash wounds, including a tattoo of the angry red bruise of a steering wheel he has imprinted across his ribs.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2012

Yet another vote for David Morse.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2012

I've actually worked with several of the favorites mentioned in this thread: David Morse, David Strathairn and Chris Cooper....all 3 very sweet, shy and intelligent gentlemen.

And Charles Durning, who was fun and hilarious and mischievous.

And Margo Martindale, who was earthy and caring and sincere.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2012

Big love for Harriet Harris!

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2012

"In David Fincher's 2007 film Zodiac, there is a wonderful moment where Koteas – as a daddyish Vallejo police officer – answers the door to Jake Gyllenhaal in the middle of the night. Koteas strides to the door with a slow, lazy swagger in a pair of thin, beige, 70s polyester pants that reveal the delicious outline of his musky Greek sausage. To me this scene gives a clear sense of weight in space – one can feel the texture and weight of his virile, middle-aged maleness filling the warm fabric of his slacks, forming a protruding mound that begs to be caressed through the material."

I bet Jake thought the same thing

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2012

Ann Wedgeworth

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2012

OMG! What about...Margaret Hamilton for the Wizard of OZ and Hattie McDaniel for Gone With The Wind.

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2012

Joanna Cassidy

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2012

I miss J.T. Walsh.

Other favorites not mentioned are Joe Pantoliano, Steve Buscemi, Powers Boothe, Dan Hedaya, and William Fichtner.

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2012

Peter Riegert

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2012

BETH GRANT

by Anonymousreply 5201/30/2012

Add me to the David Morse fans; he just seems like a decent guy. I also love Colm Feore for the same reason.

And Richard Burgi cause he was hella sexy back when he played "The Sentinel".

by Anonymousreply 5301/30/2012

William Fitchner - always a welome sight

by Anonymousreply 5401/30/2012

Brenda Dickson:

by Anonymousreply 5501/30/2012

CCH Pounder.

by Anonymousreply 5601/30/2012

In 70s movies: Brad Dourif, Bruce Dern, John Cazale

by Anonymousreply 5701/30/2012

Shirley MacLaine. I fucking love her!

by Anonymousreply 5801/30/2012

Amen R1.

by Anonymousreply 5901/30/2012

Remember David Warner?

by Anonymousreply 6001/30/2012

David Morse was really good in a little-seen movie called The Slaughter Rule

by Anonymousreply 6101/31/2012

Charles Lane -- worked until he was 101.

by Anonymousreply 6201/31/2012

Grace Zibriskie

by Anonymousreply 6301/31/2012

Richard Farnsworth, I always enjoyed his performances.

by Anonymousreply 6401/31/2012

Beverlee McKinsey in action:

by Anonymousreply 6501/31/2012

Peggy Rae

by Anonymousreply 6601/31/2012

Maria Ouspenskaya Franklin Pangborn David Strathairn

by Anonymousreply 6701/31/2012

The death of Eileen Brennan had me thinking. I know it's probably the "elder" bit in me peeking out that says, "Oh, we don't have any unique performers now versus then." However, it really does seem like many of the younger teen and twentysomething actors and actresses are picked solely on appearance and not on any sort of quirky, notable talent. Who are your favorite character actors/actresses? Am I missing anyone under 40 who you think fits that description?

by Anonymousreply 6807/31/2013

Thelma Ritter. She wasn't unique, but she was real.

by Anonymousreply 6907/31/2013

Chris Cooper - I have never seen a bad performance from him. He improves every movie he's in.

by Anonymousreply 7007/31/2013

I think that most of the cast on Orange is the New Black would qualify as interesting character actresses.

I mean, they might even 'go down' in history as some of the most talented.

by Anonymousreply 7107/31/2013

Patsy Kelly!

Margorie Main!

Sheree North!

Anna Magnani!

by Anonymousreply 7207/31/2013

Not familiar with her work, but what about Greta Gerwig? Or Chloe Sevigny who she looks like. Parker Posey as well maybe? But then they all knowingly go for quirky offbeat roles.

by Anonymousreply 7307/31/2013

Tracy Walter

Dandy Nichols

The odd, ugly Frenchman from Diva

by Anonymousreply 7407/31/2013

Enrico Colantoni (sp.?) - Elliot the photographer on Just Shoot Me, Veronica Mars' father, currently Elias the mob boss on Person of Interest, recently on the cop series Flashpoint.

by Anonymousreply 7507/31/2013

John C. Reilly

by Anonymousreply 7607/31/2013

Ed Harris? Too good looking maybe.

by Anonymousreply 7707/31/2013

Lizann Mitchell - Anthony Hopkins' sister in The Human Stain and various righteaous black women and judges on crime shows and procedurals. Saw her on Broadway in Having Our Say and in the FIRST and GOOD all black Trip To Bountiful.

by Anonymousreply 7807/31/2013

Geraldine Page

by Anonymousreply 7907/31/2013

Anne Dudek, Ashley Williams.

by Anonymousreply 8007/31/2013

Madeline Kahn - "just this once let Miss Trixie sit up front with her big tits"

by Anonymousreply 8107/31/2013

I miss Madeline Kahn.

by Anonymousreply 8207/31/2013

Margo Martindale

by Anonymousreply 8307/31/2013

Michael Parks

Paul Dooley

On the slightly younger list: Jeffrey Wright!! Fucking genius in [italic] Angels in America. [/italic] Fuckin' brilliant in almost any role he plays. I literally did not recognize him in [italic] Broken Flowers [/italic] with Bill Murray.

Carroll O'Connor was a very respected and recognizable character actor before [italic] All in the Family [/italic] made him a household name. Same goes for Agnes Moorehead and [italic] Bewitched, [/italic] although the latter was still, technically, a "supporting" part.

by Anonymousreply 8407/31/2013

Josh Malina, who is in everything.

by Anonymousreply 8507/31/2013

Somehow, someone took my thread and posted it here as R68.

Not that I mind, really. But now we have two threads on character actors.

by Anonymousreply 8607/31/2013

I was wondering what was going on there. I've been seeing old threads bumped that are along the same lines as new ones.

Don't mind if threads get merged at all, but the new duplicates are the problem. How many Lindsay gets out of rehab threads does one need.

by Anonymousreply 8707/31/2013

I think the other thread is asking for younger, current character actors, vs. just list your favorite character actors. I've posted in both threads.

by Anonymousreply 8807/31/2013

Ann Dowd in Compliance, and also as Channing Tatum's mother in Side Effects

by Anonymousreply 8907/31/2013

Michael Emerson. Absolutely love him.

by Anonymousreply 9007/31/2013

I see "In Cold Blood" fairly often, because of Scott Wilson and Robert Blake. They had an uncanny resemblance to the real killers.

Also agree about Frederic Forrest. He should have rec'd a nomination for "Apocalypse Now", as well.

When "St. Elsewhere" was on, I used to favor David Morse, but also loved the villanous Terence Knox. Hated Howie Mandel's character for "harrassing" my favorite. Was also interested in Ed Begley, Jr. because someone told me I walked like him. Afterwards, I made a great effort to NOT walk like him. Failed!

by Anonymousreply 9107/31/2013

Grace Zabriskie, Mary Kay Pace, Bruce Dern - yes, they were all on Big Lvoe.

by Anonymousreply 9207/31/2013

R91 - Actually the older trio in St Elswhere, Norman Lloyd, William Daniels, and Ed Flanders were really good.

by Anonymousreply 9307/31/2013

George Morfogen

Lea Michele

Martin Starr

Becky Ann Baker

Ray Abruzzo

Aaryn Gries

E.J. Peaker

Joan Prather

Ronnie Claire Edwards

by Anonymousreply 9407/31/2013

Stanley Kamel - probably best known as Monk's psychologist but he played bit parts in dozens of other shows (Golden Girls, Melrose Place) and movies.

by Anonymousreply 9507/31/2013

Stanley Kamel is rumoured to have been gay.

by Anonymousreply 9607/31/2013

James Remar

by Anonymousreply 9708/01/2013

Max Perlich

by Anonymousreply 9808/01/2013

Agnes Moorehead

by Anonymousreply 9908/01/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned Edie McClurg. She's been in everything and she's always great.

by Anonymousreply 10008/01/2013

Re: Michael Emerson - he played a very creepy murderer on The Practice.

by Anonymousreply 10108/01/2013

Recently, Jere Burns in his very different roles in Breaking Bad and Justified.

by Anonymousreply 10208/01/2013

Speaking of Breaking Bad, David Costabile (Gale). He's done Damages, The Wire, Flight of the Conchords and Suits, among other roles.

by Anonymousreply 10308/01/2013

R101, Michael Emerson is a great actor, extremely nice in real life (have met him a few times) and VERY pro-gay.

by Anonymousreply 10408/02/2013

Loves me some Richard Burgi - pure daddy eye candy and has a great sense of humor. Seems down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 10508/02/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10608/02/2013

Sam McMurray

I will always associate him, first and foremost, with "Raising Arizona" and the Tracey Ullman Show....but the guy has been working seemingly non-stop, for the past 30 years. Over 150 film and TV credits, both comedy & drama.

Most recently, I saw him in an episode of "The Fosters", and he was great as Stef's (Teri Polo) father, who has never fully accepted that she left her husband and fell in love with a woman. But still, the second I laid eyes on him, my first thought was, "Hey! Glen from Raising Arizona!"

by Anonymousreply 10708/14/2013

Gladys Cooper

Florence Stanley

Stanley Tucci (HOT HOT HOT)

Mary Bowland

Hope Emerson

by Anonymousreply 10808/14/2013

I'll watch Dana Delany in anything.

by Anonymousreply 10908/14/2013

David Morse is one sexy old man. Even when he was a little twig in Inside Moves.... All the way to World War Z. Me/10 would bang him.

by Anonymousreply 11012/28/2013

Hope Emerson

Lucile Watson

Mabel Albertson

Gladys Cooper

Gladys George

Ellen Corby

by Anonymousreply 11112/29/2013

Julian Beck has to be the BEST actor I've ever seen in my life. You may know him as Reverend Kane, the evil ghost after Corrie Anne in hat horror movie. He spent his whole life running The Living Theater with his wife Judith Malina. He appeared in one episode of Miami Vice, "The Prodigal Son". He died two weeks before his episode was aired.

by Anonymousreply 11212/29/2013

William Fichtner Gary Cole Barry Pepper Timothy Spall

by Anonymousreply 11312/29/2013

James Remar, he's incredibly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 11412/29/2013

James Remar was hot in 48 Hours and he's hot now in Grey's Anatomy.

by Anonymousreply 11512/29/2013

Flora Robson

Fay Bainter

Laura Hope Crewes

by Anonymousreply 11612/29/2013

Fresh off the "Little Women" (1949) thread:

Mary Astor

Leon Ames

Lucile Watson (though I mentioned her earlier)

by Anonymousreply 11712/31/2013

Dina Merrill

Kay Medford

Betty Field

Mildred Dunnock

(Yes, I love Butterfield 8 with the fabulous Elizabeth Taylor)

by Anonymousreply 11801/20/2014

Lynne Thigpen Juanita Moore Carol Kane Marilu Henner Patton Oswalt Michael Clarke Duncan Dame Judith Anderson Christhop Walz Victor Williams Victo Buono Ruth Gordon

by Anonymousreply 11901/20/2014

Does David Strathairn count as a character actor?

by Anonymousreply 12001/20/2014

Saul Rubinek Stephen Root

by Anonymousreply 12101/20/2014

M. Emmett Walsh

Beth Grant

by Anonymousreply 12201/20/2014

John Hawkes

James Badge Dale

Barry Pepper

William Fichtner

by Anonymousreply 12301/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.