Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kristin Scott Thomas

What a great actress!

Blown away by her performances in "I've Loved You So Long" and "Leaving".

Fantastic and very underrated actress.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2019 8:49 PM

I'm better.

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2011 11:24 PM

I love her!

Her performance in "The English Patient" is one of my favorites. Stunning.

And she was deserved a nomination for "I've Loved you so long".

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2011 11:26 PM

Like Deneuve, she's lost some of her coldness with age. That new sensuality makes her far more attractive now then when she was younger.

This is a great, recent interview with her:

'Most of her interviewers over the years have explained her capacity for scene stealing, for always drawing your eye to her in a crowd, in terms of her cheekbones, the way the camera loves them. It seems to me it was as much to do with her rare ability to appear entirely alone on screen, to be self-contained. In her more recent films she seems able to play that ability off against a new kind of vulnerability. Does she recognise that shift?

"I do feel that," she says. "I am not sure what it means. It's part of all this being less defensive. I have let my curiosity kick in much more%E2%80%A6"'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2011 11:27 PM

Icy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2011 11:45 PM

I'll bet she has a filthy mouth in private and always gets the joke.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2011 11:51 PM

She's great as Nikki Newman, but the character has become someone one-dimensional.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2011 11:59 PM

She must have taken some acting lessons since The English patient - she was fucking terrible in that.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2011 1:45 AM

Loved her in that movie about John Lennon !

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2011 2:19 AM

R8 --I think you mean "Nowhere Boy."

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2011 2:22 AM

I beat her out for the role of Dr. Kate Winograd. Therefore I'm a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2011 2:24 AM

From a stripper at the Bayou to the drunken whore of Genoa City, she'll never amount to anything.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2011 2:44 AM

Except cashing those alimony payments and fucking every guy in GC on YOUR ranch. Not a bad gig, eh, Mumbles?

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2011 2:53 AM

Too thin.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2011 11:14 PM

Currently doing "Betrayal" in the West End and, by accounts, is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2011 12:39 AM

Saw it Friday; the production is not the best, but she is spellbinding.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2011 12:42 AM

Love her...very watchable.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2011 12:43 AM

My only problem with 4 WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL is that Hugh Grant would choose Andie over her.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2011 1:18 AM

I saw Betrayal during previews: Scott-Thomas is excellent in it, olooks incredible and is one of the few actresses out there who really knows how to deliver Pinter's lines (to be fair to other actresses, I think HP's style sits more naturally on male speakers). She's great at pauses!

She's let down by the production and the guy playing her lover (Douglas Henshall) who is totally uncharismatic.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2011 3:02 PM

I love her - but the English Patient was not her finest hour.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2011 3:10 PM

Another vote for her in the criminally neglected "Nowhere Boy". She takes a stock role and imbues it with such clarity and intelligence that she easily walks away with the movie.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2011 3:10 PM

[quote]I love her - but the English Patient was not her finest hour%0D %0D The English Patient wasn't anyone's finest hour, least of all mine.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2011 3:14 PM

I loved her in Keeping Mum, which also featured Maggie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2011 3:14 PM

Op, KST may be many things but "underrated" isn't one of them.

She is constantly praised; she gets plenty of due from critics and awards shows for her work so no pity party for Kristin.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2011 3:40 PM

She was wonderful in THE SEAGULL on Broadway. I love her in GOSFORD PARK, she's so funny in that.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2011 3:50 PM

Maybe my favorite actress ever. I fell in love with her in Four Weddings and a Funeral. I liked her in The English Patient and most everything I've seen her in. Angels and Insects is different....if you haven't seen it, check it out.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2011 3:52 PM

Add her to the list of celebrities fluent in French.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2011 4:10 PM

Oddly enough, I only find her appealing in her French movies. Brilliant and moving in 'I've Loved You So Long' and fantastic in 'Tell No One.' It seems like the Gallic vowels warm up the coldness of her presence in English movies.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2011 4:43 PM

Kristin, we can see your boobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2011 3:24 AM

First saw her in a British tv mini-series in which she played a nun who left her convent to deal with a family crisis and she was mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2011 4:20 AM

She looks fucking fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2011 4:40 AM

Excellent in Sarah's Key.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2011 4:47 AM

I wonder what she would look like if she had let herself age naturally. She looks grotesque now.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2011 4:50 AM

That was meant for the Madonna thread. Kristin looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2011 4:55 AM

Everyone says Jodie Foster's French is prefect. Well, so is Kristin's:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2013 9:17 PM

Just remember Prince Rogers Nelson gave her big break in "Under the Cherry Moon" back in 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2013 10:51 PM

R35, KST said that was, by far, her worst performance.

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2013 11:08 PM

[quote]Like Deneuve, she's lost some of her coldness with age. That new sensuality makes her far more attractive now then when she was younger

That's true

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2013 11:13 PM

the last movie I saw her in was Ozon's In the House. A cute movie. She was good in it.

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2013 11:18 PM

I like her French stuff, the two mentioned by OP anyway. Are there any where they don't write something in about her character being English? It's amazing cause the accent seems undetectable, but not if you're French.

I wondered if the fact she wasn't French was why she didn't win at the Cesars but Yolande Moreau in Seraphine is a stunning performance, very bad luck to be up against that.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2013 12:28 AM

She's funny in Salmon Fishing in Yemen.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2013 1:51 AM

yes, she is R40

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2013 1:53 AM

She's married to a Frenchman.

She's a top actress in France, or at least used to be not so long ago. I've loved you so long did very very well. Saw it twice at the cinema, very effective film.

The guy who plays Her sister's husband in the movie is Serge Hazanavicius, Michel Hazanavicius' brother (director of The Artist).

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2013 12:32 PM

She's gorgeous. I never found her particularly attractive when she was younger, but age has made her very beautiful and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2013 12:46 PM

She was the best thing in Oz. Blew Mila Kuntis out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2013 1:07 PM

I like KST, there's a vulnerability and sexiness to her face. Same with Juliette Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2013 1:39 PM

What's with this OP and her ilk who keep declaring actresses as underrated? Thomas has been widely and enthusiastically celebrated.

Learn another adjective, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2013 1:39 PM

[quote]She's married to a Frenchman.

She divorced her gynecologist husband a while ago, if that's the one you mean. He was not an attractive man. In fact, next to him, Cate Blanchett's husband seems a looker.

I do know of rumors that she had an affair on the set of The Horse Whisperer when they were shooting in Montana. No, not with Redford.

by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2013 3:05 PM

I love the DL trend of calling well-respected actors who are highly-regarded "underrated."

I doubt you would find any critic who would call Thomas a bad actress.

She may not be the most famous actress in the world, but that is different from being underrated.

In fact, it is usually the more famous actors who are truly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2013 4:16 PM

I was captivated by her in The English Patient, not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2013 5:22 PM

Kristin looking statuesque, and Juliette and some French dude:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2013 5:47 PM

If Catherine is La Deneuve,

And Isabelle is La Huppert,

And Juliette is La Binoche,

What is Kristin?

by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2013 6:02 PM

[quote] What is Kristin?

La Fabuleuse.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2013 6:31 PM

Are there any other good Frenchie films with La Scott Thomas besides I've Loved You So Long, Leaving, Sarah's Key and In the House?

I missed In the House which looks good, was less interested in Sarah's Key but that's meant to be good.

One reviewer loved her in ILYSL and Leaving and said she was now the melancholy French movie star that deep down she always was.

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2013 11:02 PM

There's big buzz for KST's performance in the upcoming movie, Only God Forgives. It's directed by the same guy who made Drive and also starring Ryan Gosling.

Check out this clip of Kristin serving up some foul-mouthed Donatella Versace realness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2013 11:18 PM

R53, Tell No One (French title "Ne le Dis à Personne") from 2006. She plays a lesbian, cool to the nth degree.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2013 1:16 AM

Ooh I do love that film and forgot/didn't realize she was in it r55, but I know of which scene you refer.

I need to watch that again, I rented it from Blockbuster and there was a bad section of it toward the end I had to forward past so missed 10 minutes. Big downside to DVD rentals. Why can't people keep their fingerprints off it.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2013 1:22 AM

Kristin Scott Thomas: 'I cannot cope with another film'

[italic]Kristin Scott Thomas has had enough. She has been working flat out for 30 years, and made 65 films: having lived in Paris since the age of 19, she effectively has two careers, one in English and one in French. Even her cleaner thinks her workload is insane. Last September, for the first time in her life, she reached a point where she could no longer go on. "I just suddenly thought, I cannot cope with another film," she says. "I realised I've done the things I know how to do so many times in different languages, and I just suddenly thought, I can't do it any more. I'm bored by it. So I'm stopping." Having always been a workaholic, she now likes to think of herself, she jokes, as a "recovering actress".[/italic]

Sexy, attractive and moody. What's not to love...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2014 1:08 AM

I prefer UNDER THE CHERRY MOON out of all of her films, being as though I'm a Prince fan and all.

by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2014 1:12 AM

I just watched Random Hearts again (guilty pleasure). Her character is so demure and soft spoken it's hard to take her seriously as a congresswoman running for reelection.

And KST had zero chemistry with the gruff and wooden Harrison Ford. Their love scenes are cringey AF.

It's one of those terrible movies I love to watch over and over again for some reason.

I wonder if she's ever embarrassed that she did this movie.

by Anonymousreply 59October 1, 2019 11:39 PM

Can't wait to see her as Mrs. Danvers

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2019 12:37 AM

^ When's that?

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2019 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!