Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Evangeline Lilly will play a wood elf in "The Hobbit

Peter Jackson has inserted a new character into his upcoming "The Hobbit" two-parter -- a character that J.R.R. Tolkien This time, it's via "Lost" star Evangeline Lilly, who shall don the pointy ears and become a new woodland elf named Tauriel.%0D did not write.

by Anonymousreply 1712/03/2013

First of all, here is the paragraph you tried to copy/paste presented without your butchery:

[quote]Peter Jackson has inserted a new character into his upcoming "The Hobbit" two-parter -- a character that J.R.R. Tolkien did not write. Repeat: Peter Jackson is messing with the sacred texts. Again. This time, it's via "Lost" star Evangeline Lilly, who shall don the pointy ears and become a new woodland elf named Tauriel.

And as that article points out, correctly I think, the elves in the novel "The Hobbit" are too underdeveloped to translate well into a cinematic storytelling experience without some creative license utilized.

by Anonymousreply 106/24/2011

Ironically, she dated a hobbitt.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2011

The fuck, OP, would you cut/paste in the middle of the sentence like that, why?

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2011

Ironically she bearded with a Hobbit.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2011

Evangeline on the red carpet for The Hobbit with a very short haircut.

by Anonymousreply 511/28/2012

Finally! A role worthy of her wooden acting.

by Anonymousreply 611/28/2012

R6 - She did well in Lost.

by Anonymousreply 711/28/2012

She's a good actress, was not at all wooden in Lost, and I'm happy she's in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 811/28/2012

Can someone just copy and paste the article. The la times website won't let me view it.

by Anonymousreply 911/28/2012

As you requested R9

Peter Jackson has inserted a new character into his upcoming "The Hobbit" two-parter -- a character that J.R.R. Tolkien did not write. Repeat: Peter Jackson is messing with the sacred texts. Again. This time, it's via "Lost" star Evangeline Lilly, who shall don the pointy ears and become a new woodland elf named Tauriel.

Judas! It’s only a matter of time before armies of dweebs ball up their disapproval into fiery wads of nerd rage and catapult their ire into the blogosphere. After all, when Jackson announced the creative casting of Saoirse Ronan as another made-up elven character earlier this year, talk among the superfans grew dire.

"To Hobbit purists, this is grave news," Hobbit Central intoned.

But according to academics who have studied Tolkien -- yes, there are those -- purists may wish to step away from their keyboards and let the tar cool. Movies and books are different animals; readers and viewers have different demands. (Translated into superfan-speak: Storytelling in a novel versus storytelling in a film is like, er, the Teleri versus the Noldor. They're both elves, but it goes without saying that a sea elf is nothing like a deep elf.)

In truth, the elves of "The Hobbit" novel don't have much to say. They capture our heroes, who later escape. The elves also go to war, but otherwise we know little to nothing about them on the written page. So is it really any surprise that Jackson has created a new elf to bridge a few gaps in the movie adaptation?

"The wood elves in 'The Hobbit' are pretty underdeveloped," notes Corey Olsen, a Washington College educator who has a website called The Tolkien Professor. "The only elf who has much of a role is the king, and he's not even named.

"It doesn't surprise me that Peter Jackson would want to invest at least one or two elves with more character, because they are pretty faceless in the book," Olsen explains.

So, superfans: Stay thy rage! After all, the rest of the casting is pretty amazing: Sherlock Holmes as Smaug, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1011/28/2012

"Judas! It’s only a matter of time before armies of dweebs ball up their disapproval into fiery wads of nerd rage and catapult their ire into the blogosphere."

FYI, the nerd rage has been going on for a couple of years now, ever since the character was announced. I expect it to last for years, if not decades.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

She had an amazing head of hair on Lost.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

She looks so much older than she did a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

Evangeline and Orlando

by Anonymousreply 1412/03/2013

I thought she was so beautiful on LOST

by Anonymousreply 1512/03/2013

I thought she was gorgeous on Lost. I also thought she and Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet) had a lot of chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 1612/03/2013

Like Tolkein novels are lacking in characters that they have make 'em up

by Anonymousreply 1712/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.