Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do famous people usually date and marry only other famous people?

You'd think they'd want a non-famous partner to lord it over.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2011

Well the line has been that only other famous people really know what being famous is like and can tolerate it. It tends to be overwhelming to those not used to the spotlight or those being pushed out of the way because their partner is famous.

by Anonymousreply 106/23/2011

A famous partner can provide a massive career boost.%0D %0D Look at Angelina Jolie, pairing up with a famous man boosted her from a B-list starlet to the top of the A-list. Everyone else in Hollywood is hoping for the same magic hookup.

by Anonymousreply 206/24/2011

Most famous people are NOT married to other famous people.

by Anonymousreply 306/24/2011

Celebrities only hang out with other celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 406/24/2011

R2, AJ was not a B-list starlet. She was A list-an academy award winner with a famous academy award winner father.

by Anonymousreply 506/24/2011

Not sure which is more disturbing among the posters here on this thread.%0D %0D (1) Uninformed ideas about the nature of fame.%0D %0D (2) Persaonl notions about personal relationships.... "lording over a partner"... "marrying as a career boost"...

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2011

Perhaps trust? Can you trust a nobody if you are rich and famous; that they are really in it for love and what they can get?

If I'm rich and famous and I marry someone who is rich and famous in their own right then I don't have to worry that they are riding on my coattails.

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2011

OP, are you the same one who thinks that Keanu Reeves and Brad Pitt are the only two actors not related to famous actors?

Because both posts are dead wrong. And on a very similar theme.

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2011

"to lord it over"%0D %0D I think that quite a few famous people appreciate having a stable, balanced and grounded home life, which is out of the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2011

Assuming the marriage is not a "Hollywood Marriage" to hide the homosexually of the male, which is very, very common in showbiz, border lining on the default type of marriage. It is hard for non famous people to understand the unique pressures of the celebrity life. It is just easier to hookup with people you work with and who understand this.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2011

Again, hooking up with other celebrities is incredibly good for your career. Look at Gwynneth Paltrow, for instance. She was playing supporting roles in films and the critics were noticing her when she started dating Brad Pitt, but it was the relationship with Pitt that turned her from a working actor to a celebrity. It was when she was with Pitt that she started getting leading roles and getting called a "star".%0D %0D When Pitt ran for his life, she hooked up with Ben Affleck at the height of his career, and then Chris Martin. All her men are famous, very famous, and it's kept her in the public eye.%0D %0D Same for Brad Pitt himself, who never has a non-famous girlfriend. Even when he's had flop after flop, his relationships have kept him in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2011

Well they meet others like them- right- and of course they date non famous people and marry them too- I can rattle off examples. I would say more "famous people" partner with those who are not. Some of their partners become famous due to the marriage, if it as really big name.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2011

I'm with R6. OP sounds like he just graduated from middle school.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2011

R6 is being silly. Stars do choose their relationships as a "career boost" - sorry if point out the truth offends you.%0D %0D %0D %0D I bet you believe that Jake Gyllenhaal was really in love with Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2011

The ones who don't see relationships as yet another means for attention-whoring can marry plain, ordinary people. There are plenty of those out there, and that's often how you can tell if a star is "really" straight. If they're married to a plain Jane (or Jim) and have a quiet, out-of-the-spotlight relationship with a litter of kids, it's probably real. See Matthew Fox, Christina Aguilera's Bratman disaster, etc.

Not all celebrity matches are for publicity. People who work in show business often work very, very long hours and socialize primarily with people who work alongside them. When you spend 12-16 hours a day with someone, six or seven days a week, intimacy and closeness happen and it can be very intense, if often brief. That's why so many stars' marriages are ruined when they cheat on their spouses with their current co-stars, and with few exceptions, why those flings seldom last.

But of course, many people hook up to either cover for their homosexuality (not just men do this) or to grab an extra headline or two. Managers love to pair up their clients. People are very up front and pragmatic about it.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2011

What the fuck would I have in common with a non-famous person. Of course celebrities date other celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2011

Your idea of a famous person is someone you see all the time on Gawker and TMZ.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!