Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Linda Ronstadt retires

No more concerts. No more albums. %0D %0D She's done. %0D %0D ----------------------------------------------%0D %0D "I am 100 percent retired and I'm not doing anything any more. I'm at the ripe old age of getting to be 65 and I find that I don't have the power that I had and that's not worth inviting people to spend their money."%0D %0D

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16908/24/2013

Who?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 106/23/2011

Oh, I would pay to see her in concert even though I know her voice isn't what it once was. Oh, the nascent lesbo longing with her version of "Alison"...

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 206/23/2011

I'm just glad the fattie is still alive. Who knew?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 306/23/2011

Fievel's Song, Duh!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 406/23/2011

What did she do that got her fired from the Aladdin hotel in Vegas? Didn't she say something contoversial and a bunch of people walked out?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 506/23/2011

She's had a pretty fabulous career, though her biggest hits were in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Thanks for all the music, Linda!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 606/23/2011

Is that the girl Serena played today?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 706/23/2011

She had a great career and apparently made and saved enough money to walk away when things no longer suited her. Loved her for a long, long time....

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 806/23/2011

Linda Ronstadt bump

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 906/23/2011

Wasn't she a two hit wonder? Different Drum and Blue Bayou.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1006/23/2011

What the fuck happened to her?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1206/23/2011

Now she'll have time to leisurely lose weight.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1306/23/2011

She likes sandwiches.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1406/23/2011

Good for her. And she was s owing hot back in the day.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1506/23/2011

She's so fat, she's so fat, she's so fat Baby, she's so fat

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1606/23/2011

OK, that bugs me R15.

'sTowing hot'?

'sHowing hot'?

'sLowing hot'?

'sNowing hot'?

'sMowing hot'?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1706/23/2011

I like stuff with cream on it.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1806/23/2011

R17 I think R15 meant to write "so f-ing hot"

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 1906/23/2011

Love When Will I be Loved? and Long, Long Time

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2006/23/2011

You know what that means. I'll be lifting her ass on the next season of Dancing With The Stars.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2106/23/2011

For r10:

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2206/23/2011

I can't insert youtube links (any tips how?) but her version of I Won't Be Hangin' Round is so worth a listen - it still gives me shivers.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2306/23/2011

[quote]I can't insert youtube links (any tips how?) %0D %0D 1. Click on "post a reply"%0D %0D 2. Look at the big message box.%0D %0D 3. Type: Linda%0D %0D 4. Move your eyes down to the smaller box below the big message box.%0D %0D 5. Read "Url:"%0D %0D 6. Paste the YouTube URL into that box.%0D %0D 7. Hit "save post"%0D %0D

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2406/23/2011

Linda Ronstadt & Phoebe Snow perform "It's In His Kiss" on SNL May 19, 1979%0D %0D

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2506/23/2011

Someone to lay down beside me, still sends shivers down my spine when I hear that song.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2606/23/2011

Linda Ronstadt & Cher perform "Drift Away" and "Rip it Up" - 1975

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2706/23/2011

Oh my GAWD! Linda looked amazing back then.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2806/23/2011

Love, love love that, R25. Thanks!!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 2906/23/2011

Linda looked good with the short-haired perm, the longhaired perm? Not so much.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3006/23/2011

Good god I hate Linda Rondstadt. Glad that old sow is quitting the business.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3106/23/2011

Linda Ronstadt....Is a really fat tub of shit!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3206/23/2011

Ah, a prelude to a comeback tour.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3306/23/2011

Loved so much of her music but her "What's New" retro album of standards was about as soulless a piece of drek as I have ever heard. She "services" all those songs but there is no style, no heart. And THAT album started the whole nostalgia trend for singers recording "the standards." Good that those songs have not been forgotten but oh, once that barn door was opened, how many SHIT versions of the classics have been foisted on the American public? Rod Stewart sings the standards anyone? You have Ronstadt to thank for that.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3406/23/2011

She had great pipes and beautiful tone, but not much soul or swing. Granted the Cher show isn't really her scene, but she sounds really stiff on "Drift Away". She was better on stuff like "Long Long Time" where she could just wail and show off the beauty of her voice.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3506/23/2011

Did Ronstadt ever refer to her Mexican background before the "Canciones" album revived her flagging career for a while, or was it sort of like coming out of the closet after you're washed up?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3606/23/2011

this one

love you linda

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3706/23/2011

Talk to me of Mendocino - magic!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 3906/23/2011

caterwauling

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4006/23/2011

[quote]Good god I hate Linda Rondstadt. Glad that old sow is quitting the business.%0D %0D Did r31 think this would come across as hip or cutting edge? I think it would be hysterical to drop a concrete block on R31's fingers as he attempts to post another message. That would be edgy. %0D %0D

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4206/23/2011

Wasnt your mother a whore, r11?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4306/23/2011

love this song

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4406/23/2011

Hey Carly, I may be fat but I still got all my money, bitch!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4506/23/2011

[quote]What did she do that got her fired from the Aladdin hotel in Vegas? Didn't she say something contoversial and a bunch of people walked out?

Pretty much an over-reaction by certain audience members and Aladdin's management to her mention of Michael Moore in a song dedication. Not in MY America! The horror!

And now, an obscure B side. Lovely.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4606/23/2011

I'm getting really nervous.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4706/24/2011

Wonderful singer - underrated by jealous hacks who prevailed in the later 70s when everyone who had set the bar died. Wonderful singer - much better than others still working. Her voice is full and lush, her pitch and phrasing exactly on the money, and her album of standards was lovely.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 4906/24/2011

I had a professor once that knew the rich and famous because he came from a prestigious background. He once went to Africa on a Safari with a bunch of his friends. One of his friends that went on the trip was Linda Ronstadt. He said Linda? Jerry Brown is gay. She said, no really he%E2%80%99s not. My professor laughed and said to Linda, yeah right! She kept insisting that Jerry is straight, but my professor said he still thought Jerry Brown is gay. I think it was inside info he knew I guess?%0D %0D Also, I have heard this somewhere else, but someone said Linda used to be very thin because she was a big cocaine user.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5006/24/2011

Love r25s video, but, God, Phoebe Snow looks like a bit player on "Phyllis."

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5106/24/2011

Good for her. Great career unlike the jealous dreamers and failures on this board. Which is what - about 99%?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5206/24/2011

Looks like Joni Mitchell has 'retired' too - Linda was always in her shadow really. Back then I used to love all that LA music scene in the 70s with Linda and the Eagles, the Byrds and Randy Meisner. Joni was the queen of it all of course.%0D %0D Linda had a few good albums I liked and that first album of standards. Good that she was savvy with her money. Now any old has-been like Rod Stewart turns out Standards albums... Joni's 2000 one was the best.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5306/24/2011

Remember when I used to walk around with a coke spoon up my nose?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5406/24/2011

Including yourself R52.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5506/24/2011

Linda slightly altered the lyrics on her version of Warren Zevon's "Carmelita." WZ liked it well enough that he began using her revisions:

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5606/24/2011

Loved her duet with James Ingram of "Somewhere Out There."%0D %0D Also, "That's Easy For You To Say," by Jimmy Webb.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5706/24/2011

What happened to her? She got old, that's what happened to her.%0D %0D She always had a tendency to be overweight. She's chubby in a lot of earlier pictures of her. She did have a serious problem with cocaine, at least I think she did, and that might have helped her keep her weight down. %0D %0D She really was gorgeous at one time; heart-shaped face, big brown eyes, a sexy mouth. %0D %0D I thought her voice was pretty, but she had little range. She always sounding ridiculous singing songs like "Tumbling Dice" and always made a mess out of her versions of Elvis Costello songs.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5806/24/2011

I saw her live about 6 yrs ago and she still sounded excellent. Didn't do enough hits, 'though.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 5906/24/2011

R58, you don't know what you're talking about, she has an amazing vocal and stylistic range. No other singer has recorded as many genres. Her version of "Tumbling Dice" is excellent, Mick Jagger was there when she recorded it and she sang it with him live at Stones concert.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6006/24/2011

She did so much cocaine in the late 70s/early 80s she blew out the membrance between her nostrils.%0D %0D True story. She had to have surgery to repair it. It's amazing her nose didn't get that collapsed look that some got.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6106/24/2011

I think that's an urban legend, r61, how could she continue to tour and record if that happened to her, it would affect her singing voice! She never looked like strung out on coke either. And she toured almost constantly for every album in the 70s & 80s. Up to the 90s actually. I don't blame her for retiring, she worked really hard. Much harder than today's pop tarts.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6206/24/2011

[quote]had little range%0D %0D Oops! Something from another thread obviously slipped in. We're discussing Linda Ronstadt, not Rod Stewart.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6306/24/2011

She's a really fat tub of shit!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6406/24/2011

Stevie Nicks was the one who blew out her nose from coke use.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6506/24/2011

Helen Reddy was the first to set the retirement trend.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6606/24/2011

[quote]I thought her voice was pretty, but she had little range.

R58, oh my sides!

Start watching this at about 3:00. It's "Desperado" with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra, up a half-step from the key she always sang it in with her bands.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6706/24/2011

[quote]I thought her voice was pretty, but she had little range. %0D %0D Exactly! She had a voice for rock and big band. It's not as if she would ever be called upon to sing Gilbert and Sullivan or a Puccini opera.%0D %0D Oh, wait!!!!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6806/24/2011

[quote]I think that's an urban legend, [R61], how could she continue to tour and record if that happened to her, it would affect her singing voice!

It happened to Glen Frey too. His nose had to be reconstructed with teflon coated metal plates.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 6906/24/2011

Ronstadt did indeed have nasal surgery to correct cocaine abuse. I think it was discussed when she got her "Time" magazine cover.%0D %0D Her sister was married to Mikal Gilmore, brother of Gary. Her father and grandfather were famous inventors.%0D %0D Linda has made some serious missteps as a singer, my least favorite being her terrible cover of "Heat Wave." But give her the right material, like her duet with Aaron Neville, and she can create magic.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7006/24/2011

I like the performances she did with the McGarrigle Sisters.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7106/24/2011

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7206/24/2011

Ronstadt's controversial "New Wave" album Mad Love is an underrated gem. She was the%EF%BB%BF best interpreter of Elvis Costello's material. Here she is performing The Hollies' "I Can't Let Go" from the album. Incredible vocals.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7306/24/2011

I love MAD LOVE, have the poster, cd, and live dvd of that tour. Costello initially said he didn't like her covers of his stuff but he recently noted he didn't mind the royalty checks!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7406/24/2011

And I think Elvis admitted Linda was an excellent singer as well. Well, he should, she is one of the best ever. Much better than Celine Dion (barf!) or Christina Acquilera.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7506/24/2011

I love her Mambo album, Frenesi.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7606/24/2011

She threw a fish bone at Carly Simon when they were both dining at the restaurant Citrus on Melrose in LA. This was either the late 80s or early 90s.

Linda was sitting at a table near Carly's and Carly made some snide remark about Linda being loud and drunk, which Linda overheard.

Linda slung a fish skeleton at Carly screaming, "Shut the fuck up!"

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7706/24/2011

[quote]Chris Evert, world's worst tennis commentator

My new favourite DL troll!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7806/24/2011

I don't understand all the hate. I'm sure Linda loves the gays. She's very liberal. She fucked Jerry Brown, for God's sake!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 7906/24/2011

The extra construction to support the stages for her weight made the ticket costs prohibitive. They tried to get her to follow the Barbara Cook gigs but Cook has been slowing down since she turned 80.

Too bad. Linda has so much to give.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8006/24/2011

Not all 65 year olds can look as hot as I do.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8106/24/2011

Some of her more recent gigs were with Gay Men's Chorus in L.A. and I think she did one in NYC too. Very supportive of gays and Mexican immigrants. Good for her. But I don't see where she says she's 100% retired in the link. So hoping it's not true.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8206/24/2011

Also r58, have you heard her version of Party Girl? It surpasses Costello's

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8307/03/2011

Only elder-gays care about this nobody.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8407/03/2011

she's pretty much been a house wife in Tuscon, and happily so, for the past twenty years.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8507/03/2011

Linda Ronstadt's name is still well known and her music still gets radio play. She has also been one of the more diverse performers - basically doing whatever caught her fancy from about the 1980s. %0D %0D "Only elder-gays care about this nobody."%0D %0D Not accurate R84! But do tell us who YOU listen to.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8607/03/2011

Linda has started work on her memoir - Heart Like a Wheel - to be published by Simon & Schuster in (at this stage) 2013.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8707/29/2011

What, no love for Pirates of Penzance?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8807/29/2011

Why now she was just the best pop/country/mariachi/standards/opera singer ever. %0D %0D Good heavens whoever will replace her? A polka/cumbia/jazz/gospel/bluegrass singer?%0D %0D

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 8907/29/2011

Here you go R88.%0D %0D Range indeed!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9007/29/2011

I thought Pirates of Penzance ruined her career!%0D %0D Just listed to Long,Long Time via youtube - completely forgot about that song - it's great!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9207/30/2011

"Linda has so much to give." So does Pepsi.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9307/31/2011

Great singer - wasted on Cher and Gagme fans on DL.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9407/31/2011

[quote]Her sister was married to Mikal Gilmore, brother of Gary. Her father and grandfather were famous inventors%0D %0D Mikal Gilmore's book about his family, "Shot in the Heart," won several big-name literary prizes. It's a great book.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9507/31/2011

When a lazy entertainer retires and nobody's there to witness it, does she even make a sound?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9607/31/2011

I don't think Linda is an actress, and some of her vocal performances come off as studied and removed, but COME ON, it's an amazing, AMAZING instrument.

She also has great taste, and I believe her wide range of genres and styles came from artistic curiosity rather than desperation for a hit.

She was a great live performer- again no actress, but she was vocally superb. I saw her in Pirates a few times, La Boheme, a few rock concerts, one of the Nelson Riddle concerts, and she was always on the money.

Thanks for reminding me how much I like her, OP!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9707/31/2011

"Feels Like Home"

Heard her sing it five years ago and she still sounded great.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9808/01/2011

Here's an incredible clip of Ronstadt performing Tom Petty's "The Waiting" on Letterman.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 9908/01/2011

I still like "Different Drum" with the old Stone Poneys.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10008/01/2011

Love Linda. Hate her politics. Love her songs, especially the older stuff.

The Nelson Riddle stuff isn't bad but it exposes her as "a screaming alto" with little depth in the high range. Sorry, Linda. But you know it.

Ella Fitzgerald Linda is not.

She also has a great technical knowledge of music theory if you poke around the net you will find her espousing on how she prefers to sing in a modified 6/8, etc.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10105/16/2012

She is doing the right thing by retiring from the biz. Look at Grace Slick, she retired fron the biz before she turned forty.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10205/16/2012

If they made a Linda biopic, should Linda be played by Selena Gomez or Leighton Meester?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10305/16/2012

Linda is a great person by all accounts. A real gem. I was never a big fan of hers, as I too thought she pushed her voice too much however, she sort of missed her calling as a composer and arranger.

And she is not well, she suffers from an immunity problem so she cannot manage her weight like she would like to.

I wonder how her adopted kids are doing.

Long time rumor that Linda was/is gay---anyone know about this?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10405/16/2012

Linda pings to high heaven and I believe she has dated either Dolly Parton or Emmylou Harris, maybe both.

I'd put money on the Emmylou Harris affair, and the longshot dough on Dolly.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10505/16/2012

I went to NY to see her in Penzance and she was sick. I saw the understudy.

Nerts.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10605/16/2012

R84 eats feces right from the sidewalk.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10705/16/2012

Linda cares about the average person, especially those she feels are exploited.

Linda actually worries about people who make minimum wage--she has stated her concerns about those who work in fast food restaurants.

Who else does this? Does Beyonce talk about Jack-in-the-Box employees, how about Madonna? do you think she gives one shit?

Linda is a great salt-of-the-earth lady who cares deeply about the less fortunate. If you wish to label that as "liberal" so be it, but I'm sure Linda would call that as being decent.

Linda is a great American artist, and it must kill her to see what is happening in the music business.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10805/16/2012

one of the most versatile and likable singers ever, she was just adorable and wasn't a p.r. seeker like so many today. She always rocked it in concert, too, her voice is so strong.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 10905/16/2012

What's that great story about Linda throwing a chicken finger or something at Carly Simon, who insulted her in an interview? Maybe it was a fork.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11005/16/2012

r26 That's my all time fav song of hers. Written by Karla Bonoff.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11105/16/2012

About Linda Ronstadt's supposed "range" and "versatility"...well, the fact is that she's attempted a lot of different styles (standards, Mexican songs, New Wave) but was never particularly adept at any of them. She was good at interpreting some ballads and country songs, but not much else. Dave Marsh, in the good version of the Rolling Stone Record Guide, called Ronstadt a "horrid interpreter of...rock and soul material, frequently missing the essence...and never cutting below the surface."

She did so many lame remakes: "Crazy (Patsy Cline did it better)", "Tracks of my Tears (Smoky Robinson did it better)", "Heat Wave (Martha and the Vandellas did it SO much better", "That'll Be The Day (Buddy Holly did it better)", "Back in the U.S.A (Chuck Berry did it better."

Her version of "Tumblin' Dice" is particularly atrocious. She sounds ridiculous singing it. She and Mick Jagger were fuck buddies at one time, which I guess is why she attempted to do a Rolling Stones song. But it was a big mistake. It's one of her worst efforts.

When asked Elvis Costello claimed to hate Ronstadt's versions of "Girl Talk" and "Alison." He said they were awful, but if Ronstandt wanted to do them that was ok, because it meant more money in the bank for him.

Ronstadt was parodied on Saturday Night Live after putting out her album "What's New", an album of stadards. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss was Ronstadt, decked out in the pink number Ronstadt wore on the cover of the album. She sang "What's New" with new lyrics and the song ended aptly "I sing old songs for you...because I can't do...what's new!"

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11205/17/2012

I like so much of what she's done but my favorite CD of hers is the greatly underrated mad Love.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11305/17/2012

[quote]She is doing the right thing by retiring from the biz. Look at Grace Slick, she retired fron the biz before she turned forty.

Actually she was 50 when she retired.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11405/17/2012

All this "lacks depth, and range" coming from those who went on and ON about Whitney Houston being "the iconic voice of their generation"! Gag.

Why do people hate Linda's politics? I pay attention, and just assume she's a classic California lefty? Rock on!

From Classic Southern California pop/rock, to Americana, New Wave, Gilbert&Sullivan, Mexican folk songs, Big Band Standards, to Puccini, Linda Ronstadt is one of the rangiest and longest-lasting balladeers of the last 50 years. I think she's excellent!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11505/17/2012

R114, she was 52 when she retired.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11605/17/2012

she had fantastic range and emoted exquisitely and conveyed the meaning of the lyrics. Hardly anyone does that anymore, thanks to Star Search and Whitney, everyone oversings and does melisma, totally ignoring the mood and meaning the songwriter intended. Her version of "Tumblin' Dice" rocks, she's very powerful and energetic in it. The one person above has an issue with Linda and has been posting the same exact post since DL began. Get a new gig, please, you know nothing about music.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11705/17/2012

I like her version of I will always love you better than Whitney's, it's understated and truer to the simple melody of the song.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11805/17/2012

R118, I agree.

Her version of Desperado is better than the original.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 11905/17/2012

[quote]you know nothing about music

Says some decaying queen posting about Linda Fucking Rondstadt.

Bitch please!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12005/17/2012

From Mad Love - " Cost Of Love" . She's got that tough, angry girl sound on this song. Just pissed.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12105/17/2012

Such a beautiful woman

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12205/17/2012

The First Cut is the Deepest

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12305/17/2012

If I stayed thin, you can too Linda.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12405/17/2012

Go to hell, Olivia.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12505/17/2012

I imagine that with WHitney and Donna gone, she's getting nervous about being number 3.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12605/17/2012

Long, Long Time still sends shivers up my spine. Pure magic.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12705/17/2012

Mendocino - beautiful!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12805/17/2012

What she really means is...

I tried for 30 years to have a hit and failed. I give up.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 12905/18/2012

I hardly think it's about hits. I really admire Linda for retiring. So many singers go on way longer than they should, their voices gone long ao. They keep pumping the nostalgia audiences who only wind up feeling sad and sorry for them. Linda's going out with her dignity in tact. I think she's magnicent.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13005/18/2012

I imagine Joni has retired now too - no more tours or albums, just a cranky interview now and then ... they they both (Joni, Linda) have enough to retire on, ditty Carly. Carole King seems determined to continue though, surely she is the richest of them all ?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13105/18/2012

It must be great not have to bother to sing the old hits over and over for nostalgia audiences - or to have to keep touring to smaller venues in out of the way places when you just want to releax at home.

I saw Dionne and Petula Clark touring a few years ago ...

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13205/18/2012

The Ronstadt fangurls on this thread are hilarious. They wouldn't know a good interpretation of a song if it bit them on their rumps.

I doubt if they've ever heard of a singer named Eva Cassidy. She died tragically quite young of cancer and she was brilliant. She could do just about any type of singing (pop, jazz, country, gospel, standards) and do it do it with complete authenticity. She could wipe up the floor with Linda Ronstadt vocally. Ronstadt's voice was "pretty" but that's all it was. She had no depth as a singer at all.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13305/18/2012

Eva Cassidy? The "Locomotion" gal? She was a babysitter for Carole King and David Geffen.

True, R133 -- what pipes!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13405/18/2012

Linda was at the peak of her beauty in the late '60s. She could still look great for her age if she'd lose the weight.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13505/18/2012

She had lots of depth and if this Eva person were so great, I'm sure we would've heard of her. Linda is a very intelligent woman and always got to the essence of the song, whatever the songwriter intended. She also had power, range, control and versatility, few singers have recorded as many styles as she has.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13605/24/2012

Eva Cassidy (NOT Little Eva) is a cult favorite among lesbians and NPR listeners. She was a cover singer who had a pretty little voice but is mostly famous for having died young.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13705/24/2012

R3...right back at ya, you anorexic bitch! Still fucking your son, btw?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13805/24/2012

I'm sure you're right, R136. How could she possibly be talented if you don't know about her?

Good grief.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 13905/24/2012

Eva Cassidy??? LOL!!! She reminds me of the star of all our old High School musicals. Wet, hammy, overwrought, tedious, and pretentious.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14005/24/2012

[quote]Wet, hammy, overwrought, tedious, and pretentious.

Judy Garland maybe. Not Eva Cassidy.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14105/24/2012

Eva Cassidy is one of the most overrated singers, ever. She is the Jonathan Larson of song - noted mostly for dropping dead at a tres tragique moment.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14205/24/2012

Not sure dying from a melanoma that metastasized into the lungs and liver would be considered dropping dead.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14305/24/2012

R141= deaf.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14405/24/2012

"Eva Cassidy is one of the most overrated singers, ever."

No, she's not. I've listened to her songs. Her voice was incredible. Her version of "Over the Rainbow" is better than Judy Garland's.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14505/25/2012

If she was smart she would have turned it into a six year tour.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14605/25/2012

[quote]She had lots of depth and if this Eva person were so great, I'm sure we would've heard of her.

Don't go flinging "we" around, your Majesty. Some of us are not as ignorant as you.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14705/25/2012

Thanks for that r83. I get that Elvis C probably cringed at her doing his songs cause ya know Linda wasn't really cool compared to all the New Wavers. But a woman doing that song in the way Linda did it was inspired and dramatic. Gave a whole new edge to the song. Peter Asher is/was a brilliant producer with her as his muse. One of those magic pairings in entertainment.

I do like her version of Allison too and love the production of it, that sax at the end, excellent.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14805/25/2012

Her best stuff is country no doubt. Heart Like A Wheel her best over all album but I love cuts like "When I Grow Too Old To Dream" on the Livin In the USA album. I think that is my favorite non country flavored song. Just beautiful. Also the stuff she did with Dolly and Emmylou Harris.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 14905/25/2012

Y'all, where I grew up, back in the good ole Smokey Mountains, we had an expression for folks like Linda: "What a cunt!"

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15005/25/2012

R148 has the worst taste ever.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15105/25/2012

151...no darling. You do.

"Her version of "Over the Rainbow" is better than Judy Garland's."

Says the tone deaf lesbian. honestly, this Cassidy nut is hysterically funny. She's no better than a million chick singers in cheap coffee houses in every university town.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15205/25/2012

I think people who judge people by their appearance are sad, emotionally insecure, ingorant pigs. So much hatred. She gained weight due to a medical issue and too much coke when she was young (screws up your metabolism).

SO WHAT???? SHE'S OVERWEIGHT - THAT ALL YOU GOT?

Sure you people are so beautiful? I doubt it. And even if you were, you are very ugly where it counts. In your soul. Linda was a great singer, not a two bit wonder - very well known and it saddens me to see what society has become. Haters.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15409/20/2012

"Heart Like A Wheel" Linda's autobiography is out next year.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15509/20/2012

I would still MARRY her...and drink her bath water. But, only if she loses about 150 POUNDS .

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15610/01/2012

I put mayonnaise on everything.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15710/01/2012

Her albums of standards with Nelson Riddle are almost perfection. I've lost track of how many times I've listened to them.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15810/01/2012

R158: I think those albums have proved to be one of the most reliable sources of irritation to singers who always sing standards ever dreamed up.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 15910/01/2012

Linda's autobiography (Simple Dreams) is due to be released in September.

And it's rumored that there will be an audio version read by Linda.)

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16006/17/2013

Good for her. So many singers lose their voice and nevertheless go on and on and on. She's smart to hang it up now. (I don't know how she sounds, but assume that she's the best judge of her powers.)

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16106/17/2013

I don't wanna judge Linda Ronstadt. But it's sad that her weight problem has apparently been impossible to manage. Then again, maybe she just doesn't see the importance in holding down the weight for a career since she quit.

She claimed she didn't have the power any more. As a rock singer myself, I know you need a lot of stamina that can easily come from a 65 year old that works out and keeps the right diet. Most people sit around on their behinds. Pills don't make a person strong. So it's gotta be the exercise. Too bad Linda doesn't see herself the way others do. I think she could still do it. And I wish she would go back to her late 70s early 80s style music.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16207/26/2013

Ann Wilson of Heart still tours and all. Her voice aged really well.

I think that Linda just basically wants to retire. She probably has scads of money at this point. Is her book out yet?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16307/26/2013

2 years later and still NOBODY cares.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16407/26/2013

Her autobiography comes out next month. Let's hope it's better than that snoozefest the Wilson sisters put out.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16507/26/2013

I've stayed thin AND am curing cancer!

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16607/26/2013

[R133], I think you meant to type Nancy LaMott.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16707/26/2013

Why haven't more singers done "Talk to Me of Mendocino"?

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16807/26/2013

She recorded "Long, Long Time" soon after I broke-up with my partner of six years. Had song to listen to.

by Liza and Streisand take notes.reply 16908/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.