Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Melanie Mayron

Of course most people remember her as Melissa in thirtysomething.%0D %0D Personally I thought she was the best of the whole cast.%0D %0D I read somewhere that's she a gay mother and sells baby products.%0D %0D Anyone else remember her in Girlfriends a surprise independent film hit from about 1978?

by Anonymousreply 9806/10/2014

I was glad to her she is gay. I was always attracted to her, and the news was further confirmayion that my gaydar is on point.

by Anonymousreply 106/19/2011

Showed her tits in The Strawberry Statement with Bruce Davison.

by Anonymousreply 206/19/2011

Yes, I remember her very well as a cute little Jewish girl in Girlfriends, and was very disappointed when she turned up in Thirtysomething with a brand new goyische face. Well, I guess it was good for her career.

by Anonymousreply 306/19/2011

Just googled her because I wanted to see if she was who I thought she was, and she was. Definite gay vibe from back on Thirtysomething and I didn't even watch the show so it must be pretty strong for me to instantly know which one you were talking about. %0D %0D Interesting that she has two children with Cynthia Mort, the woman that Jodie Foster started dating after ditching her partner a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 406/19/2011

I'm a little confused by this article.%0D Apparently Melanie had a relationship (& 2 Kids) with a woman who then had a relationship with Jodie Foster. I think that's it.

by Anonymousreply 506/19/2011

Do you remember her in Car Wash, pre-nose job?

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2011

She worked at the bank with Brenda on "Rhoda." I remember seeing her in the movie "Missing" and being shocked that it was her. (weight loss and facial surgery)

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2011

As I sat on the hallway floor across from her outside the closed door to the offices where both she and my drag queen friend were auditioning for different extremely minor roles in the third Crocodile Dundee film, I thought to myself - Bless her heart.%0D %0D Loved her in Sticky Fingers with Helen Slater.

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2011

Melanie and Cynthia also have 2 houses right across from each other on the same street so the kids can be together. The son is a dead ringer for Cynthia, while the daughter favors Melanie.

While Melanie was directing some of the TMYLM episodes, Cynthia (who was the show runner and creator) was dating Amanda Sheer-Demme, who was also the Music Supervisor for the show. All of them were very cosy.

Melanie has not aged well, while Cynthia still looks good. Although she (Cynthia) claims to be low maintenance and not give a shit about how she looks/lives, everything she wears/has is the most expensive you can buy (e.g. $500 distressed hoodie), which will come up in conversation at one point or another. Cynthia is quite the pretentious twat, while Melanie is very low key and grounded.

by Anonymousreply 906/22/2011

Remember Corey Parker, who played her boyfriend Lee on thirtysomething? **Sigh...**

by Anonymousreply 1006/22/2011

Melanie, why do you insist on starting a thread about yourself every year?%0D %0D Could you perhaps start weaning yourself to once every other year, hmmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 1106/22/2011

I had a huge crush on Corey Parker and always wished he'd be my bf when I grew up!

by Anonymousreply 1206/22/2011

Interesting. Thanks, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1306/22/2011

[quote]Melanie, why do you insist on starting a thread about yourself every year?%0D %0D Op, here...I look nothing like Melanie & I've never seen a thread about her. You're a silly Billy.%0D %0D I just saw her in the holocaust drama 'Playing For Time' & she gave an Oscar winning performance. She's a very good actress.%0D %0D [quote]Remember Corey Parker, who played her boyfriend Lee on thirtysomething? **Sigh...**%0D %0D How could anyone forget?%0D %0D Here's Corey playing a gay role in the 1990s British TV drama 'The Secret Language of Cranes'.

by Anonymousreply 1406/22/2011

Melanie played my favorite character, Melissa, on thirtysomething. She was the most tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 1506/22/2011

She was amazing in "Playing for Time." Very hard film to watch, though. The whole thing was up on youtube a few weeks ago, but it may be gone by now.

by Anonymousreply 1606/22/2011

[quote]Melanie played my favorite character, Melissa, on thirtysomething. She was the most tolerable.%0D %0D I agree she was the best thing on it. In fact the whole thing improved when they stopped focusung on Hope & Michael.

by Anonymousreply 1706/22/2011

[qutoe]In fact the whole thing improved when they stopped focusung on Hope & Michael.%0D %0D Except when Michael had his shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 1806/22/2011

weht to Corey Parker?

by Anonymousreply 1906/22/2011

She also directed the very silly "Slap Her, She's French!" which was supposed to be released the weekend after 9-11, but never was. It resurfaced on The Disney Family Channel (not much of a fit really ) as "She Gets What She Wants". It's a Texas cheerleader version of "All About Eve" and is quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 2006/22/2011

I LOVED her in Girlfriends!!!

And what did happen to Corey Parker? He was my dream boyfriend back then.

by Anonymousreply 2106/22/2011

He was one Corey too many.

by Anonymousreply 2206/23/2011

Was Melanie the one with the different earring in each ear on 30something?

by Anonymousreply 2306/23/2011

She looks like Annie Potts twin.

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2011

by Anonymousreply 2506/23/2011

Melanie Mayron did not give an "Oscar winning performance" in Playing for Time. She could not have even been nominated because television films are not eligible--only theatrical releases.

by Anonymousreply 2606/23/2011

[quote]Melanie Mayron did not give an "Oscar winning performance" in Playing for Time. She could not have even been nominated because television films are not eligible--only theatrical releases%0D %0D Oh, come on...I was making a point and the point was made.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2706/23/2011

I do remember Girl Friends and I remember her as an offbeat Jewish actress with a funny voice and long curly hair, as she was in that and on when she played a recurring role on Rhoda. She was reconfigured as something much more homogenous on 30 Something.

by Anonymousreply 2806/23/2011

We accept that R27 was making a point more along the lines of "award-winning performance" and that R26 is weak and fighting dirty with cheap semantics.

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2011

I guess saying she won an Oscar for the performance made a point---or would have if it were true.

It is not "semantics." It is like my friend and former president the United States, Bob Cossin says, "Sometimes you just have to tell the truth." As former govenor of the state of Florida and a Grammy-winning screenwriter, I have to agree.

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2011

[quote]I guess saying she won an Oscar for the performance made a point---or would have if it were true.%0D %0D Actually, I said 'she gave an Oscar winning performance' which is quite different.

by Anonymousreply 3106/23/2011

I'd like to see her in more shows, she directs now but occasionally she shows up on TV and movies. I remember her in Girlfriends and Car Wash.

Thanks r9 for the post, I believe Melanie used to or still does smoke which will age you and glad to hear she's down to earth.

Her father is a chemist and he helped develop the baby products she's selling.

by Anonymousreply 3306/23/2011

I also remember her most from that TV movie she was in with Vanessa Redgrave in the early 80's called "Playing for Time". It was about a group of musicians in Auschwitz who are spared death by performing for the Nazi guards. Mayron eventually starts prostituting herself out to the guards for food and basically devolves into a greedy whore who Redgrave and the rest of the troupe turn their backs on. Award-worthy? No, not really. Redgrave, Jane Alexander (who was phenomenal) and Shirley Knight pretty much wipe the floor with her. She's serviceable, if not a bit annoying in the role.

by Anonymousreply 3406/23/2011

I don't even remember Mayron in PFT; however, I do remember Ms. Redgrave who was sensational.

by Anonymousreply 3506/23/2011

So....still no update on Corey Parker?

by Anonymousreply 3606/23/2011

Me too, r12.

Apparently he was a real asshole and hated throughout the business. He completely torpedoed a very promising career. The last thing I can remember him doing was a sitcom with Tea Leoni that ended up launching her (to an extent) and finishing him.

by Anonymousreply 3706/23/2011

[quote]So....still no update on Corey Parker?%0D %0D Yes, luv.%0D %0D He has a channel on youtube with clips of his work.%0D %0D This is what he looks like now.

by Anonymousreply 3806/23/2011

I must say. Those clips on his channel look very amateur for someone who's had so much success.%0D %0D & once those hetero actors start doing the Godfather type characters, you know he's in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 3906/23/2011

"She's serviceable, if not a bit annoying in the role."%0D %0D Well, the character was *supposed* to be annoying. Very, very annoying, so...

by Anonymousreply 4006/23/2011

[quote]Well, the character was *supposed* to be annoying. Very, very annoying, so...

You were perfect for the part than, Mel.

by Anonymousreply 4106/23/2011

I remember her as Jennifer Jason Leigh's bulimic rehab roommate in [italic]The Best Little Girl in the World.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4206/23/2011

Time to change your manpon R26/30.

Mayron has had pretty much anything and everything done to her face. I'm not sure the link will work but here is a before and after of Melanie from an old People magazine article.

by Anonymousreply 4306/23/2011

Fuck off, R40. Were you the author of the teleplay? How are you the expert on what characters are *supposed* to be?%0D %0D Elaine May plays what is *supposed* to be an annoying character in Small Time Crooks and ostensibly walks away with the picture as probably the best thing in it. So...what's your fucking point?%0D

by Anonymousreply 4506/23/2011

"Fuck off, r40. Were you the author of the teleplay? How are you the expert on what characters are *supposed* to be?"%0D %0D Not sure where your rage is coming from, r45, but how could anyone say Mayron's character wasn't supposed to be annoying? If you were starving to death in Auschwitz and a fellow prisoner was in much better shape because she whored herself out, would that not annoy you slightly? On fact, "annoying" isn't even a strong enough word for what Mayron's character was supposed to be. She was downright infuriating to the women she lived with. %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4606/23/2011

"In fact," not "on fact."

by Anonymousreply 4706/23/2011

For Corey Parker fans, an FYI in case you didn't know... It was his MOTHER that was Patrick Dempsey's longtime love (wife maybe?) in the '80s, the one that was about 20 years older than him and a "scandal" of sorts at the time. Think the two guys might've even been friends until that but not positive. I was working in casting in LA then and remember that was weird stuff (she was a manager, maybe his?). Part of why he fell off map for a while -- until he got older and moved on and suddenly was hot again. And Corey's sister was also on "thirtysomething", adorable, not sure what happened to her either. Nicole Parker, worked in gallery where Melissa did big photo show.

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2011

[quote] Nicole Parker, worked in gallery where Melissa did big photo show.%0D %0D I remember her. Interesting fun fact. Thanks.%0D %0D I loved that it was called The Edith Miller Gallery.%0D %0D It just seemed so perfect at the time. I can totally visualise Edith Miller. Even though, I think, we never actually saw her.

by Anonymousreply 4906/23/2011

But not Nicole Ari Parker or the Nicole Parker that was on MadTV?%0D %0D Yet another Nicole Parker?

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2011

Her name is Noelle Parker, not Nicole Parker. She also played Amy Fisher in one of the 3 TV movies made about her that all came out around the same time (Drew Barrymore and Alyssa Milano were the other two Amy's). She was also Reed on Sisters for the final season (replacing Ashley Judd).

Her mother was indeed married to Patrick Dempsey for about 6 or 7 years and had a rather contentious divorce.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2011

I love how only on DL does the phrase "Oscar winning performance" can be said to mean something other than a performance that won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5206/24/2011

Douchebag at R52. We get it. Stop throwing your little one-man fit and calm down. Go to iVillage if you want to fight over petty bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5306/24/2011

A remake of Playing for Time might be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5406/24/2011

Is the Alyssa Milano version of the Amy Fisher story considered the best one?

by Anonymousreply 5506/24/2011

[quote]Is the Alyssa Milano version of the Amy Fisher story considered the best one?

They were all pretty awful, I think Barrymore's version got the highest ratings, and considered the best of the three, but that isn't saying much. Noelle Parker resembled Fisher the most.

by Anonymousreply 5606/24/2011

Well, she DID give an Emmy Award - winning performance in "thirtysomething".%0D %0D So, will the person who said she gave an Oscar-winning" performance in that TV movie AND the person who won't let his error go, kindly, go fuck yourselves with Emmys covered in sandpaper and ground glass while listening to Yoko Ono and Patti Lupone "music" and lying in pools of salt and horse shit.%0D %0D Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5706/24/2011

by Anonymousreply 5806/03/2012

She was such a train wreck on 30something.

When Gary died she totally fell apart to where even his widow felt badly for her.

by Anonymousreply 5906/03/2012

I thought Mel Harris was the most attractive on the show.

by Anonymousreply 6006/03/2012

Thanks, R20, for reminding me of this DL sensation from yesteryear.

by Anonymousreply 6106/03/2012

Me too, r60.

by Anonymousreply 6206/03/2012

I miss thirtysomething.

by Anonymousreply 6306/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 6406/03/2012

Dollartree has the first season of Thirtysomething on DVD. All the whining for a fraction of the cost.

by Anonymousreply 6506/03/2012

She was barely recognizable in "Car Wash"

by Anonymousreply 6606/03/2012

[quote]She looks like Annie Potts twin.

Not even.

by Anonymousreply 6706/03/2012

R45, there are characters you love to hate and characters you just hate.

by Anonymousreply 6806/03/2012

The hair shearing scene in Playing For Time remains one of the most harrowing things in a movie I have ever watched. Mayron and Redgrave really had their hair shorn for the scene (obviously one take had to be perfect) and the look of terror on their faces is unforgettable. Also, the scene on the cattle car where Mayron has to shit in a bucket in front of everyone and then knocks it over, spewing vileness all over the car nearly suffocating the other captives. I think she did a great job, it was a very intense movie and her character reeked of desperation. I dont think Schindler's List could hold a candle to it.

by Anonymousreply 6906/03/2012

I watched the pilot for thirtysomething not long ago. It was worse than I recalled. I think the show got better with time.

by Anonymousreply 7006/03/2012

I don't know about selling baby products. But yes, she is a gay mother. I used to live across the street from her.

by Anonymousreply 7109/15/2013

The pilot was dreadful. It did get better.

by Anonymousreply 7209/15/2013

Melanie could be Helena Bonham-Carter's uglier sister.

by Anonymousreply 7309/15/2013

I've been trying to find Sticky Fingers on dvd and can't find it. I love this movie, can anybody help? Melanie Mayron is awesome!!

by Anonymousreply 7411/08/2013

She seems neurotic as fuck. She probably isn't even gay, it's probably just because she's emotionally fucked and can play out sick co-dependent scenarios with some poor woman. A man wouldn't bite.

by Anonymousreply 7511/08/2013

She damn sure was the ugliest

by Anonymousreply 7611/08/2013

I always got her and Michelle Meyrink mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 7711/08/2013

Is there a role for on a future AHS?

by Anonymousreply 7811/08/2013

I don't know if the link will work but I SO wanted Melissa's thirty something hair.

by Anonymousreply 7911/08/2013

Small part as a college student in THE STRAWBERRY STATEMENT with Bruce Davison and Kim Darby. Has a topless scene.

by Anonymousreply 8011/08/2013

What makes you say that R75?

by Anonymousreply 8111/08/2013

She looks cute in R79 's link

by Anonymousreply 8211/08/2013

I re-watched "Playing for Time" because of this thread. Sometimes a budget is just too small to support such large history. The horror was contained to shaved heads and the name of Mengele. Some very good supporting performers, with Shirley Knight both preposterous and great.

Melanie was a slattern, a whore, the smudged face of human hunger and stupidity. She played it well. Redgrave is a strangely musical actress who can't sing. That kind of ruined the show.

Jane Alexander, I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 8311/08/2013

She also played a hooker in HUSTLING, a terrific made for tv movie that starred Lee Remick and launched Jill Clayburgh. Used to be on Netflix but not sure if it's still there.

And, Playing for Time is a powerful movie. Lots of actresses including Fonda and Streisand turned down the lead and, of course, the casting of Redgrave was controversial but it's a memorable movie.

by Anonymousreply 8411/08/2013

She had zero chemistry with Gary on Thirtysomething (who was married to Michelle Pfeiffer at the time). In hindsight, her character looked like a total lesbian. She did have chemistry with Cory Parker though. The episode where Melissa has her show at an art gallery is the best. She's sad and feels like her photos are disconnected and the theme by default seems to be men coming in and out of her life, and Cory, who she had broken up with, shows up at the end. I have remembered that episode for years.

by Anonymousreply 8511/08/2013

Did Peter Horton have chemistry with anyone on the show?

by Anonymousreply 8611/08/2013

[quote]and Cory, who she had broken up with, shows up at the end. I have remembered that episode for years.

I agree. It was one of the most powerful episodes. She was very good on the show. She brought great depth to her character.

30something really improved as it went along and it was the supporting characters like Melanie's that made it work.

by Anonymousreply 8711/09/2013

[quote]Did Peter Horton have chemistry with anyone on the show?

Ken Olin

by Anonymousreply 8811/09/2013

R88 - He did.

by Anonymousreply 8911/09/2013

I met her earlier this year and geeked out, even mentioning my favorite episodes.

I think thirtysomething was as successful as it was because of her character, and she said they were prepping her for a spinoff when they did the Bernie Joy storyline in LA.

She was really nice and down-to-earth. No attitude whatsoever.

The best shows were the ones centered around her.

by Anonymousreply 9011/09/2013

[quote]The best shows were the ones centered around her.

& Polly Draper, once she got over doing her vagina voice all the time. Her character was funny, clumsy and loveable.

by Anonymousreply 9111/09/2013

[quote]she said they were prepping her for a spinoff when they did the Bernie Joy storyline in LA.

Real shame that one never came to fruition.

by Anonymousreply 9211/09/2013

I loved Thirtysomething. I had a mad crush on Peter Horton and Polly Draper. Talk about confused. Mayron's character was fun to watch because she was edgy and had gay friends. She was good in PFT too, there was a lot of buzz around that film and the sausage. Was is her or Redgrave who ate the sausage?

by Anonymousreply 9311/09/2013

Why did she stop acting?

by Anonymousreply 9411/09/2013

[quote]I thought Mel Harris was the most attractive on the show.

Me, too. And it was sad when they gave her bad haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 9511/09/2013

There was one episode where Mel had long hair at the start and short at the end. They wrote it into the story.

by Anonymousreply 9611/09/2013

I still remember her reaction when Gary died. I was a kid but somehow I saw it and it really haunted me.

by Anonymousreply 9706/08/2014

In some respects, the show was ahead of its time. It would have frequent dream sequences, not usually seen in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 9806/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!