Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fran Drescher''s new show "Happily Divorced"

It's not bad.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2013

Her face doesn't move! She can't even smile. I couldn't watch for more than 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 106/18/2011

It was ok. Maybe it will get better.

by Anonymousreply 206/18/2011

Didn't laugh once. If they used the "How could I not have known" joke one more time it would have been a world record.

by Anonymousreply 306/18/2011

I agree, OP, not bad but not great either. Hopefully will be given enough time to improve. (Which reminds me, how were the ratings?)

Kinda hated to see Tichina Arnold in the nothing role of the GF, though. Love Tichina and think by now that she deserves a show of her own instead of being stuck once again in a second banana role (but yeah, I know, work is work).

by Anonymousreply 406/18/2011

Watching it now. Have to agree with r1. Her face not moving is really distracting.

by Anonymousreply 506/19/2011

TOO much botox and too many sterotypes. The ex shaving his chest as soon as he went gay...I mean come on.

I like Fran and love Chita and hope it improves, quickly.

by Anonymousreply 606/19/2011

Fran was one of the older women I always thought were aging well, until now. She looks nice in these pictures from 2009. Maybe she'd had some work done, but she looked fairly natural, not plastic with big fake cheekbones like she does on this show. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 706/19/2011

R6 - it is Rita and not Chita playing the mother

by Anonymousreply 806/19/2011

[quote]I like Fran and love Chita and hope it improves, quickly%0D %0D You love her so much, you fell into the cliche mix-up of her name.

by Anonymousreply 906/19/2011

This show was not funny at all - won't be watching again.%0D %0D I wasn't expecting much though because I never thought she was funny in The Nanny either.

by Anonymousreply 1006/19/2011

Made it for less than three minutes. Her face freaked ne out too.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1106/19/2011

It sucked. I bet TV Land spends more on promos for her show and that shitty Hot in Cleveland than producing the shows themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1206/19/2011

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really liked this show. I thought it was very funny. I will definitely be watching again.

by Anonymousreply 1306/19/2011

Not surprised it isn't bad; Fran is an underrated comedienne and a smart cookie.

by Anonymousreply 1406/19/2011

I watched it. It moved too quickly. Did didnt make sense. Married 18 years and from one scene to another she is ok with him gay. I was disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 1506/19/2011

Why I don't think they missed one cliche. What will they do next week?

by Anonymousreply 1606/19/2011

I don't know what to think. I love Fran, and I love John Michael Higgins or whatever his name is.

I for one found the Nanny to be funny. The writing on this reminded me of the Bette Midler show. You've got all the parts in place, but nothing seems to quite gel.

I'm also not crazy about sitcoms, so maybe that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 1706/19/2011

The thing is that, as likeable as Fran Drescher is, The Nanny would have been a stale old-fashioned sitcom filled with ethnic stereotypes were it not for the tremendous chemistry she had with Charles Shaughnessy and the entire storyline with Daniel Davis and Lauren Lane love/hate relationship. She needs a lot of things to fall into place in order to score a hit sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 1806/19/2011

The Nanny was one of my favorite shows of all time, but this show is growing on me. It's gotten better. %0D %0D %0D I do have one issue though. Tichina Arnold is playing Fran's old friend that she has known since they were kids. Are we supposed to believe fran is fifteen years younger than she is?

by Anonymousreply 1908/06/2011

I like these type of comfort entertainment comedy shows. Fluffy entertainment.

And Fran Drescher can't do wrong in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2011

Have loved Fran ever since she was Bobbi Fleckman.

by Anonymousreply 2108/07/2011

This is a show for idiots.

by Anonymousreply 2208/07/2011

It was renewed for another batch of episodes in the spring!

by Anonymousreply 2308/07/2011

Have loved Fran ever since she was Harold Schneiderman. This was after she was Buzz Kolodny but before she was Bobbi Fleckman.

by Anonymousreply 2408/07/2011

The show is very old=fashioned, and not in a good way. Lame, cheap one-liners, silly plots - it could have been done in the 70s and been exactly the same.

And the constant winks to "the Nanny" are too cutesy and annoying - it's only the 4th ep and already Renee Taylor has appeared, in what looks like a recurring role - even if Rita Moreno's mother is already a retread of Taylor's part from the first sitcom. I know Charlie Shaughnessey is making a guest appearance very soon too. i know the show is based on Fran & Peter's real life, but is/was it so much like "The Nanny" ??

I do hope that all grown up and OUT Benjamin Salisbury guests - maybe as Peter's real boytoy, Nick Scotti

by Anonymousreply 2508/07/2011

You fools, the ONLY funny thing about "The Nanny" was Fran's mother Sylvia Fine!

by Anonymousreply 2608/07/2011

Waiting to see John Michael Higgins in drag.

by Anonymousreply 2708/07/2011

Waiting to see Eddie Murphy in drag.

by Anonymousreply 2808/07/2011

I liked that they had Renee Taylor come back as the old neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 2908/07/2011

R25 Benjamin Salisbury is not OUT as you say. Unless by, "OUT", you mean "married heterosexual".

by Anonymousreply 3008/07/2011

I had such a crush on Benjamin Salisbury as a teen. Looking back, he looked a lot like young Ryan Gosling only Ben didn't grow up as hot. Too bad, but I still wouldn't mind seeing him in something. Apparently he doesn't act anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2012

So I watched an episode of The Nanny one time.

Afterwards, I thought, "did the Allies really have to close all of the camps?"

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2012

Her voice has always been irritating and she has never been funny...TV Land is better off to show a rerun of an old show than this sitcom..the original programming they have is stale and I can't watch for more than 1 minute.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

I was a HUGE fan of The Nanny but Happily Divorced as always been a little, "ehhhhh".

Is it just me or has this show gotten better? I watch it when bored and I must say, the past couple episodes I actually found myself laughing.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!