Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The more things change...

As Smedley Butler observed:

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class thug for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902%E2%80%931912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

Charlie, this is the real goal of the military, not some grand social experiment.

by Anonymousreply 106/16/2011

Do you really believe, OP, that every military action our government has ever undertaken has been REactive rather than PROactive, and that many...or all of them have been fomented by corporations on behalf of the government (or is that vice versa?) and used to expand the power of the elite?

Are you crazy

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2012

They are still doing it today.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2012

Bump for the idiots that think that the government is anything other than a gang of thieves writ large.

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2012

Smedley Butler's "War Is A Racket" is well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2012

Bump for the idiots that think that the government is anything other than a gang of thieves writ large.

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2012

Bump for those people who think corruption on this kind of scale is something that has only started in our generation.

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2012

Thanks for the thread OP.

R6,calling people who have never heard of Smedley Butler idiots isn't going to encourage anyone to get off DL and learn about how wide spread, and long term, this kind of corruption is.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2012

R2, minus WW2 ... OP's observations are pretty spot-on. It's pretty obvious the Reagan-era wars were all of this same type, as was Iraq.

It's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2012

Smedley saved FDR's life by exposing a corporate plot to assassinate him.

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2012

I think the book (and film) Seven Days in May was based on this.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2012

R9, WW2 was a direct result of the interference of TPTB in WW1

Settling WW1, via treaty, to the Germans would have cost the UK/US banks trillions in losses. Hitler rose to power due to the onerous costs on the German people imposed by Versailles.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2012

History of most American foreign policy.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2012

The Plot to Seize the White House by Jules Archer covers the attempts to draft Smedley (who was enormously popular at the time) to become a puppet leader after a coup that would have deposed FDR.

One of the architects of the coup was Prescott Bush, father and grandfather of presidents.

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 1609/05/2012

And he died penniless in a motel room. Smedley is the name of my next pet, boy or girl. And that plot to kill Roosevelt? Guess who was at the heart of it? Prescott Bush. Dubby's grampy.

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2012

Upon his retirement, Butler bought a home in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, where he lived with his wife.[67] In June 1940, he checked himself into the hospital after becoming sick a few weeks earlier. His doctor described his illness as an incurable condition of the upper gastro-intestinal tract that was probably cancer. His family remained by his side, even bringing his new car so he could see it from the window. He never had a chance to drive it. On June 21, 1940, Smedley Butler died in the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia.[66]

The funeral was held at his home, attended by friends and family as well as several politicians, members of the Philadelphia police force and officers of the Marine Corps.[68] He was buried at Oaklands Cemetery in West Chester, Pennsylvania.[69] Since his death in 1940, his family has maintained his home as it was when he died, including a large amount of memorabilia he had collected throughout his varied career.[68]

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2012

Not shocking, R15. Bush and shady dealing are synonyms.

Too bad most people don't realize that the Democrats are in bed with them 100%

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!